Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Voting Booth: Have your hummingbirds returned?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 55, Views: 575
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
admin

(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #7718197

There are a total of 281 votes:

I've had Ruby Throat hummingbirds for several weeks now.
(41 votes, 14%)
Red dot

My hummingbirds have just returned!
(30 votes, 10%)
Red dot

I'm still waiting for my hummingbirds.
(160 votes, 56%)
Red dot

I'm lucky, my hummingbirds do not migrate. I have them year-round!
(27 votes, 9%)
Red dot

We do not have hummingbirds where I live.
(23 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #7718463

They have been here for a few weeks. I love them as a harbinger of spring.

Although I'm sure not all of us get the Ruby throated (specified in the 1st choice), that is the one we see here.
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2010
1:09 PM

Post #7718674

Should be seeing them fairly soon, I hope. My coral honeysuckle vine is covered in blooms already and the hummers just love them. Once I spot them there, I put the feeders out. Then the fighting ensues...lol. No matter how many feeders I hang at different locations, the hummers chase each other and chatter - especially the ladies!

When I lived further north of Dallas, we regularly had the black/purple hummers, as well as the ruby throats. I only see the purples on rare occasion now.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7718959

My first sighting was on the 8th. Which is about right for my area.

I'd be interested in hearing about the migration of the Roufus up the west coast as well.
chucki
Anchorage, AK
(Zone 3b)

April 19, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #7718978

We have lived here in Anchorage for 38 years and saw our first hummingbird last summer.
My wife put out a feeder but we never saw again.
temafilly
Oconomowoc, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 19, 2010
7:59 PM

Post #7719834

Hello All,
We've not seen our cheeky buggers yet, but it shouldn't be too long. Last year there were two or three different species, but I'm not well-read on them enough to know which one is who - and I plan to rectify that this summer!
There's one that looks suspiciously like an ANNA'S...but...I'm in Wisconsin, and I believe that's a West Coast only bird. It's an iridescent green with a grey underside and nearly no other markings except the male's head is nearly black. It's also remarkably bold - my husband and I were sitting on the deck enjoying a cup of coffee when up zipped the little greenie to sample the Geraniums less than 10' away! This one also likes to look in our front window and will hover for a good 2-3 minutes as if to say 'Ah, hey, the feeder's getting a bit low...'
The 6 or so that visit us had become accustomed to me puttering around the Front Bed, and when I heard the whir of wings I'd freeze and slowly look to the feeder to see who was calling. I will be keeping my camera close by and hopefully getting a good enough snap of them so as to be able to ID who's coming to dinner. Does anyone have a favorite site for East Central migrants?

@TexasTam - it is fun watching them dart around chasing each other, especially later in the season when the chicks fledge and want to see where Mom's been getting lunch! I nearly wish I had a slow-motion camera trained on the two feeding areas so I could watch as they try to out-manuver one another...ZOOM..chit...chit...chitter...NEROUUM...

@chucki - don't toss your feeder, with global warming you'll probably get them on a regular basis within the next few years! How's that poor tulip coping with the fresh snow?

...this is one of the 'buffet' areas with Agastache Sunset Hyssop in the corner, Physostegia Alba just behind and Mandevilla 'Red Riding Hood' climbing on the trellis...

Thumbnail by temafilly
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2010
9:10 PM

Post #7719991

Temafilly, I had a July 4th party a few years ago where the sundown entertainment became hummingbird WWF. There were three females zooming around the back yard right over our heads, chitting and chattering and swirling. It was amazing! No harm done, but several guests at the party vowed to hang hummer feeders after that!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 19, 2010
9:46 PM

Post #7720049

I was expecting them earlier, like last week, and I sterilized all the feeders and cooked up some juice for them, but so far, nobody home! ( I only feel a little silly!)
chucki
Anchorage, AK
(Zone 3b)

April 19, 2010
11:06 PM

Post #7720137

temafilly the snow we got last week is all gone and the temp is in the mid-fortys days and around 30 at night. The snow is going fast right now BUT!!! We have had 36 inches in May before.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 20, 2010
1:27 AM

Post #7720181

we have humming turkeys,''people who cant remember the words''
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2010
3:40 AM

Post #7720259

Still waiting and if they are smart we will be for a few more weeks, we had snow over the weekend and still having regular frosts. I did see a butterfly the other day, but it was just crazy.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2010
3:46 AM

Post #7720264

Hi, termafilly,

Interesting to hear about your varieties of Hummingbirds, although maybe with the lakes around there the out-of-range HBs are especially attracted to the region?

FYI If you do see the one you think might be an 'Anna' or any other odd looking ones, I am sure that the local birding groups would love to know and could make a confirmed ID for you. It could be a midwest record. And do you know about Kathi Rock in Madison who keeps lots of records on WI hummers and writes and talks about them extensively? If you don't already, you might find their website interesting: https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/mjrock/web/ If you have any questions about your hummer ID, please give her a call.

We have had one or two visiting hummers already at the feeders (April 17 and 18). A little early for our area, but we have had them as early as April 8. Normally the main arrival is arround May 7.

I am busy planting seeds for some of their favorite plants~~Tithonia, salvias, agastaches, etc. and getting our potted coral honeysuckles out of the garage (overwintered there to protect them) and putting them into the sun with lots of water to get them in bloom ASAP.

Good luck with your hummers, everyone! t.

Emma75
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #7720454

The main hummer we get here in FL is ruby-throated, which I get every year - one little family found me, and now the scout comes on schedule in late March to early April. Last summer I had two families, so I'm excited to find out what will happen this year - my scout already arrived a week ago, and is now gone again!

I saw another that I couldn't identify last year, but it wasn't here long, and I think had gotten lost in transit (we don't get too much variety in FL). The one thing I really miss about living in central SC was the variety of hummers I had then! My neighbors put up feeders every year too, but the hummers rarely use theirs - I've use Best-1 Hummingbird feeders for years, and feel this has made a huge difference in the hummers consistently choosing my yard over neighbors in every place we've lived, combined with the natural plants they also love! Here is a link to purchase the feeder, also available through Amazon ~ http://www.duncraft.com/Best-1-Hummingbird-Feeder-8-oz--P3154C28.aspx
blouberryhill
Markesan, WI

April 20, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #7720476

No hummers yet, but should be soon. Weather is very strange this year. It was 85 degrees last week and down to 26 last night so maybe they are waiting for summer. I thought I heard an oriole the other day, so I put a a feeder for them and they always share with the hummers.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 20, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #7721347

No hummers yet. A little early for my area. Hope to see them in early May.
Weedwhacker
Bark River (UP), MI
(Zone 4b)

April 21, 2010
4:41 AM

Post #7723367

None here yet, but the daffodils are starting to bloom so the hummers should be back soon.

This message was edited Apr 21, 2010 7:45 AM
SilverTigris
Cocoa, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #7723463

I'm still waiting.. Of course I may have missed them already since I only rarely get to see them here in Florida on the east coast.
sharilou790
Franklin, WV

April 21, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #7723915

Hello all, I have seen nothing of ours yet, and am a little worried, they are normally here by now, my quince bush is aflame with bloom & that's where I usually see them first..I've had a feeder out for over a week, but no birdies yet...eastern panhandle of WV..

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #7724037

We don't get the hummers until May.
temafilly
Oconomowoc, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 21, 2010
8:50 AM

Post #7724048

Hello All,
@ TexasTam - LOL: now THAT would have won a prize on the 'Funniest Video' show!

@chucki - What year was that in? We had a devasting snow/ ice storm April 11, 2007 that wreaked havoc on anything green, especially trees - the ice broke so many branches. Tonight we are getting hit with another 27* freeze and I'll be working to get things covered. Just when you think it's safe to set out your feeders!

@tabasco - Thank you for your information, I will be putting it to good use and keeping my camera handy. I have visited the site and would you believe there have been ANNA'S sited here? How exciting! Kathi has an article on the siting in Stoughton - only 40 miles away from me. Thank you again!

@ Kathleen - you're not crazy; I saw a Black Swallowtail floating around yesterday, maybe it was the caterpillar I had in my parsley last year!

This message was edited Apr 21, 2010 11:07 AM
rankstranger
Trinity, NC

April 21, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #7724090

Just saw my first ruby-throated hummer less then 20 minutes ago, waiting for my sugar mixture to cool, so I can set out my feeders. Is a glorious day when the hummers return to wage their aerial battles and occasionally give me a face to face, encounter, I'm assuming that is to let me know they want some fresh nectar
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #7724096

We're still waiting for our Ruby-throated Hummers, but it should be any day (unless they've come when I wasn't around). I've had feeders up since April 2nd (changing sugar-water regularly).

Hummingbirds.net showed a sighting in my area on April 4th which is really early! Our temps have jumped all around since then with variations ranging from below freezing to over 80!

Unless it's a really cold spring, they normally show up around April 26th (like they did last year), but the year before it was early May (cooler temps).

I'll keep looking & try to post again when I see them.

stevelvv
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2010
1:56 PM

Post #7724911

The Anna's here are nesting now. Found a sitting mom on a perfect nest out in the woods. Should hatch around May 1. Here's a nest I had last spring in a ficus tree. Watched them go from egg to on their own. I feed them year round.

Thumbnail by stevelvv

Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #7725061

Frequently I feel hummingbirds before I see them. I get the sense that my stomach is growling. Then I notice that it actually isn't growling. Then I orient my head so that the growling noise is no longer to one side. And sometimes I see a brilliant green hummingbird hovering nearby. This ritual happened about a week ago. Every once in a while, when I'm watering with a garden hose they drop by and take a drink. Don't know how they survive the winters here, but they seem to be around in late fall and early spring as well as through summer.
jennysgarden
Andersonville, TN

April 21, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #7725436

I was buzzed 2 days ago under my magnolia tree... it was intentional because I was back under the tree near the house. Didn't see which kind it was, because it was a fly by. lol
mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

April 21, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7725502

I'm still waiting for the Rufous and Calliope to arrive, this is the latest in 9 years. Black-chinned arrive a little later. The feeders are ready!
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 22, 2010
1:55 AM

Post #7726342

im amazed,united states are only 4 months ahead of us with daffodil blooms

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2010
3:03 AM

Post #7726377

mine were here the 2nd week of May last year... but it's warmer this year.. and hoping to see them soon
holeth
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2010
3:27 AM

Post #7726398

Usually here when the azaleas, bleeding hearts, & lunaria bloom. I haven't seen humming birds yet, but then again, only two of the 3 are blooming. The honesty/lunaria/money plants/silver dollars are up, but not quite in flower yet.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #7728271

No hummers seen here in Charlotte, NC. They seem to be late this year.
Pewjumper
Glenwood Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #7728478

No hummingbirds yet. We usually get three different kinds and they all absolutely are crazy for Agastache.

We have turkeys! Does that count when you have a wild turkey walking down the sidewalk during the late afternoon?

Sonny
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 22, 2010
7:00 PM

Post #7728626

that'd have to get you a few points
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2010
3:55 AM

Post #7729308

Wish they'd come to Europe!
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #7729809

Pewjumper, as your turkey was walking down the sidewalk, was it humming ?
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 23, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #7729820

Tee hee Steve812 ^_^
temafilly
Oconomowoc, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 23, 2010
10:18 AM

Post #7730162

Hello All,
@ Pewjumper & Steve812 - Naw, turkey ladies go: yerp! yerp! puck, puck, puck - they don't know the words, either!
I'll agree on the Agastache, Sonny, if I want to catch the ones that visit here on film, I really should set up a turkey blind under the Spruce trees just across the driveway from my 'buffet' area! Who knows what I'll see?
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 23, 2010
5:03 PM

Post #7731012

turkey probably had an i-pod-hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 23, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7731077

My newly designed hummer magnet. "Here hummers... here hummers..."

Thumbnail by dahlianut

mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

April 23, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #7731164

Hehehe...lol! Love the bow!!! Wish mine would show up too. But maybe they are smart and aware of bad weather, yesterday for most of the day it rained, snowed, hailed and was windy! Today was cool and windy:~{!!!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 23, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #7731186

I hear you mcash70. We will definitely get another cold snap, hopefully not when they're migrating through or they won't stop. "Here little hummers... here little hummers..."
mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

April 23, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7731221

They had better stop!!! I have not had a spring or summer without a hummer in so many years I am not going to tell you because it will date me...LMOL!!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 23, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7731246

O you are lucky, lucky. Sporadic in my garden; some years spring; some years fall. Doesn't help living near a kick butt Bird Sanctuary so of course they go there.
temafilly
Oconomowoc, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 23, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7731292

Hello All,
@ dahlianut - Merry X-mas !
@ g_whizz - wouldn't that be a T-pod?

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 23, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7731296

Mine came back and headed straight for my lavender. I was butterfly watching and got confused for a moment when I saw him. I think it must be the same one I had last year because when I startled him flew to the same spot in my oak tree where he always hangs out. It was strange.

Melanie
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 23, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7731301

If you build it, they will come. ^_^
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #7733426

I didn't vote, because I don't know. I guess they must come to my area, the stores sell hummingbird feeders, and I don't think they would if they didn't come here, but I've never seen one here. The only time I've ever seen them is when I've been on vacation.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #7733520

Hi momcat,
I also live in Northeast, Illinois & we definitely get hummingbirds here. I haven't seen mine yet this spring, probably because the temps have been all over the place.

There are two good ways to get them to start coming to your yard. The first is to have early-blooming plants they like. The second is to have at least one feeder up for them, preferably before they arrive so they won't just move on.

Even if you don't have blooms for them they will easily spot a bright red feeder. The average arrival time around here is just about now, sometimes a little earlier, sometimes a little later.

I start with at least one feeder early April, putting up the rest later in the month, but if you put one up around April 15th to the 20th, you should be okay. Just remember, if you bother to set one up, you have to keep it clean with fresh sugar-water. Mold spores build quickly. Also, if the hummers get a taste of sour sugar water that may be the last time you see them.

A good rule of thumb is one part sugar to four parts water. You can heat the water on the stove, but I like a method I read about several years ago: Measure the sugar & water into a microwavable glass container, like a large Pyrex measuring cup, stir it, then heat in the microwave until it "just" comes to a boil. Stir again so their are no sugar crystals & allow to cool. It's best if you don't add any food coloring. It's not known if it harms the hummers and they don't need it to see the feeder.

Another good thing about a feeder is you can hang it right by a window. Hummers are so tiny you could have them in your yard & not even realize it if the're too far away.

Hope this helps. Post back if you see any. It would be exciting to find out.
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2010
4:01 AM

Post #7734860

Thanks for the info. I assumed that they were in the area. I've just never seen one here. I've seen them several times on vacations, though.

Deb
Pewjumper
Glenwood Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2010
5:31 AM

Post #7734996

I know the hummingbirds are here because I heard one whizzzz by while I was talking to a friend on Saturday.

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7736319

temafilly, anything is possible--remember the lady from Beloit WI who had a green-breasted mango visit her yard a couple of years ago. She had over 700 visitors before the bird was caught and sent to live in Brookfield Zoo in Chicago because it was so far off from its normal range.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007-11-14/news/0711130728_1_bird-s-home-mango-hummingbird

momcat--I'm in your area too. I've tried keeping feeders filled but it seems like the hummers prefer the real thing if they can find it. If you have a sunny spot, try planting some bright pink or red monarda--you should be guaranteed to have some visitors. They like trumpet-shaped flowers--they visit my white lilies towards the end of the day.
Pewjumper
Glenwood Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7736862

Momcat,

I know that some of the Agastaches from High Country Gardens will grow in your area. They are hummingbird magnets & they bloom from about July through frost. They have a wonderful licorice smell. I remeber when the hummingbirds were making a push through the area and the commotion of so many, (50+) hummingbirds in the area along with the honeybees & bumblebees was absolutely hilarious.

The agastaches also provide nectar for bees and the constant stream of visitors are a source of delight. They fit into my scheme of things, perenial, pretty, easy care, low water, non-invasive, although they seem to reseed fairly well and they help the bees & birds!

Sonny
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2010
4:50 AM

Post #7737762

Thank you all for the advice. I was planning a nursery trip next weekend. I will look into getting some Monardas and Agastaches.

Deb
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2010
4:25 PM

Post #7739899

BTW If you are interested in where the first sightings for your area have occurred, check out the Journey North RTHU map:

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/humm_ruby_spring.html

It's fun to follow it along. Just click on the dots near your house and it will tell you exactly where the HB was seen.

They have similar maps for Annas, etc. too.
temafilly
Oconomowoc, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 27, 2010
10:39 AM

Post #7742312

Hello All,
Possible sighting! We've had their favorite feeder up for just a few days and many sparrows so it could be a false alarm, but arrival is imminent for this area.
@gwen21 - thank you for the neat read!
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8364839

Not yet, in all this snow. I have tried feeders and found that they all sour and draw ants and wasps I plant red flowers around where we used to have feeders, and they don't sour. Luciee
vanislandgirl
Ladysmith, BC

February 23, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8389283

[quote="luciee"]Not yet, in all this snow. I have tried feeders and found that they all sour and draw ants and wasps I plant red flowers around where we used to have feeders, and they don't sour. Luciee[/quote]

I live in Ladysmith on Vancouver island. Many people have been feeding the Annas all Winter. Hopefully the Rufus will start to get here in mid March

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America