Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: Ok, So I was wrong!

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 17, Views: 171
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Shirb
Thief River Falls, MN
(Zone 3b)

April 19, 2010
9:46 PM

Post #7720050

Hi There!
I just wanted to say that, this is hard for me to say,,,but YES I admit I was wrong about winter sowing!
Last year I was watching and participating in this forum. I still recognize some of the names still participating in this forum. So, I bought seeds, prepared my milk jugs and sowed my seeds last year in March. My seeds sprouted, I had success. I was really disappointed in how long it took for my little plants to grow. By the time fall hit, mind you I survive in zone 3, my little plants were about to bloom and it snowed. I planted delphinium, black eyed susans, mexican hats just to name a few. I decided then that wintersowing wasnt for me since my growing season is very short and the plants did not develop enough to bloom. It is easier just to buy the plants already growing to get the flowers I wanted. So, wintersowing was not for me this year! Boy did I learn!
As the snow dissapeared, and some of my plants are coming back, low and behold, guess which ones are reappearing with a vengeance! Yep! all the ones that were wintersown!
I was wrong, my little plants that I babied and pampered last year only to dissapoint me are really stronger and more vigarous that others that I had bought!
There is something to say about this wintersowing thing. You do have to be very patient.

Thanks to all of you that encouraged me last year! I do appologize for not sticking to it! I guess you all proved me wrong! As soon as my little darlings are a little bigger, I will post pictures of what I have. I am pretty sure I will do wintersowing next year- I just have to be a little more patient! :)

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 19, 2010
9:53 PM

Post #7720058

Since what you sowed are perennials, it is not surprising that it took a year for them to really grow. They will bloom this year for you.
Shirb
Thief River Falls, MN
(Zone 3b)

April 19, 2010
9:59 PM

Post #7720063

Well hey blomma! I do recognize you! How was your winter this year? did you do alot of WS this year?
You were one of the ones I wish to thank for encouraging me! So, Thank you!
Shirb
Thief River Falls, MN
(Zone 3b)

April 19, 2010
10:03 PM

Post #7720069

By the way blomma, when do you start WS. With our zones, when is the best time? When do you order your seeds? Who/Where do you get your seeds from? I usually order from pinetree or parks. I want to be a bit more prepared this year. Any info as to when to get started would be appreciated!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2010
4:01 AM

Post #7720277

Shirb, I'm glad to hear of your success.

Even in my zone 6, not many perennials bloom the first year. A few short lived ones do, like rudbeckia hirta or gaillardia, but most perennials don't bloom until their second year. The old saying "the first year they sleep, the second year they creep, the third year they leap" is so true. I sowed liatris and echinacea this year which won't give me flowers until next year. One thing you can do is to sow them this summer. As long as it's something that doesn't need cold stratification, you can use the wintersowing method, seeds in a jug, this summer and plant out in fall. Then they will bloom next summer. The same is true of biennials.

Good luck to you. As you have seen with your own eyes, wintersowing is a wonderful hobby. This is year 5 for me.

Karen
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 20, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7722560

Love this thread! I am trying to wintersow this year, kinda. (Just started my seeds a week ago.) But am so glad to see how successful it is to those of us living in the "Arctic" lol. Be prepared to answer questions, please. :-)
Shirb
Thief River Falls, MN
(Zone 3b)

April 21, 2010
11:00 AM

Post #7724389

Hi skellog,
Im no expert, but I will answer any question I can. There are plenty of others 'out there' that can answer too, so I know if I cant others will. Good luck this year! I know that there are websites that can help too. Just google it.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2010
8:41 AM

Post #7727003

K,
I have a couple of young homeowners with bare landscapes who desperately want/need flowers. As you know, I'm your #1 fan, but I have no real knowledge plants. I'm strictly veggie gardening.

Could you point me in the right direction to get them involved with wintersowing for next season with some recommendations on "flowers" they can fill in with that will not cost young POOR homeowners an arm and a leg (the other reason for pushing WS to them...)

They went to the Big Box stores and spent $$$ on annuals and they'll just have to do that all over again when these die off. But, even if they WSed their own annuals would save them $$$. I just don't know plants. We have vinca, lantana, geraniums, and some daisies? that my DH takes care of on the front lawn...I know marigolds, and have seen the rudbekias on various threads -- I could push BES (black-eyed Susans? -- rudbekias, right?). But, I need plant help for Zone 9a, hot and sunny on our front lawns...

Once again, your expertise would be MUCH appreciated!

Linda, who's going to try to convert the world to Winter Sowing, "one jug at a time!"
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2010
10:39 AM

Post #7727374

Linda, your friends might find some useful info and link in the articles I've written on WSing... first one is here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/585/ , and here is one about using the method with annuals: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/959/
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2010
1:45 PM

Post #7727800

Linda, do read critter's articles, and also refer your friends to Trudi's site at wintersown.org. Note there's a germination database by zone, check zone 9.
http://wintersown.org/wseo1/WS_Database_Z9.html

That will help with info about actual germination. But as for what plants will actually grow and thrive in your climate, I don't have a clue. This ain't Texas, and I imagine that your garden challenges are way different from mine. Maybe some others here can give you some input.

If I had to GUESS I'd say
butterfly weed (asclepias tuberosa)
rudbeckia
echinacea
zinnia
marigold
melampodium
sedum
lavender
tithonia

But purely guesses on my part.

Karen

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #7730298

Thanks, K and Crit!
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #7733294

I sow most of my annuals from seed cause of the expense of buying them.. I do marigolds, morning glorys, black eye susan vine ,cosmos, zinnas, sunflowers and several other ones These are the ones that are super easy to do and provide color most of the summer.. sometimes in the fall Ill just lightly rake the area I want them in and scatter some seed in just to see what happens and I usually get some pop up with no TLC.

ps... all of these will grow in tx and in MN
I grew them when I lived in MI and now TX

This message was edited Apr 24, 2010 8:47 PM
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7734063

Shirb... you have to remember this when you plant perenials
the first year... they sleep,
the second year... they creep,
and the third year... they leap!!!

and in most cases its true...lol...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #7734156

Blkraven2 thanks a bunch! That's exactly the kind of list I need.

When do you WS those seeds for a spring/fall plantout? And what can I sow in late sprng/summer for some fall/winter interest?

Thanks!

Linda
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7734193

snap dragon and panies are what I use for winter color.along with ornmantal cabbage and kale.. usually you can sow for fall color after the high heat of summer passes Id say mid august .. I started most my stuff in mid feb this year, that gave me about 8 weeks till I got them into the ground..last frost date for me is march 15 but I waited till early april to plant ...I had almost 300 seedlings to play with I gave away a lot but will probally do more next year...
a pic of my set up

Thumbnail by blkraven2
Click the image for an enlarged view.

blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7734197

my seedlings after transplanting I transplant them into newpaper pots I make so when I go to plant I can plant pot and all.. makes it a lot easier...

This message was edited Apr 24, 2010 9:33 PM

Thumbnail by blkraven2
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Shirb
Thief River Falls, MN
(Zone 3b)

April 27, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #7741607

hey there! thanks to all of you with your responses. im just now getting to this site after falling and shattering my left wrist on friday..figures weather finally getting nice and now i have to deal with a cast. i go back to dr friday to see if i need surgert :(
thanks for all your suggestions and websites!

blkraven-where is wells? im from cypress and huntsvillr area? my mom is still in new waverly
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2010
1:41 PM

Post #7742765

I'm sorry about that wrist. What a bummer. Hopefully by the time garden season is really rolling in your area you'll be about over it.

Karen
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #7749798

Shirb... Wells is in the middle of nowhere...lol.. Im about 25 miles noth of Lufkin, 75 miles south of Tyler and 20 miles west of Nacogdouches if that helps...lol

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America