Photo by Melody

Garden Shed: how do I mark aluminum tags?

Communities > Forums > Garden Shed
bookmark
Forum: Garden ShedReplies: 7, Views: 144
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lovedirtynails
Portland, OR

April 20, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #7720546

I finally splurged and bought aluminum tags to permanently ID my plants. Now, here's my first stupid question for the day. What do I use to write on them? Am I supposed to engrave them or etch them with something? Will a Marks-a -lot stay on? The guy at the nursery said to use a pencil, but it doesn't show up.

thanks

anne
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #7720592

I'd go to Michael's (or other local craft store) and get yourself a paint pen. Or else there are garden markers that look a little like Sharpies that you can use too (don't use Sharpies--the sunlight will fade them pretty quickly). You can buy the garden markers from many online nursery supply catalogs, or you local nurseries may have some. I'd be surprised if Marks a Lot markers would do any better than Sharpies (probably not even as good) so I wouldn't recommend them.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7722328

Anne, I've never tried a Marks-A-Lot but have tried pencils with awful results and also fat and thin Sharpies. You're right, ecrane3, it's just a matter of time before the sun fades the writing. My personal preference is a P-Touch label maker made by Brother. The replacement tapes aren't cheap but the labels I made last year still look brand new.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2010
1:33 PM

Post #7745831

I just saw this thread and would also suggest a labelmaker. Black ink on a clear tape works well.
Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7883012

The p-touch brothers plastic covered lables are still as good as new after 5 yrs in the sun and rain. I even put the date and name of who or where I got it. Kind of expensive but a permanent record. I also drill a hole in every pot to attach the tag with wire. This way if I hire someone to move my plants they can't loose the lable. I have not had any luch with pencils or markers.
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #7883023

They make a Gardner's pen that is Awesome and is water Proff the writeing last All Season
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #7964602

I just got some copper tags and I think this method might work on aluminium. I just take a ballpoint pen and write on them what ever I want to know. It embosses onto the copper. No fading or washing away. I have both tags for the big perennials and also marker to put into the dirt by the plant.
Hostafaerie
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2014
10:17 PM

Post #9821888

I bought aluminum flashing at Lowe's for about $10. It comes in rolls of about 12x20 so makes lots of labels. Then I type out on computer the plant name to the size and font I want. Using a paper cutter I cut the aluminum to the desired size. Then tape the paper with name to the aluminum to keep it centered and straight. I go over the name with an electric engraver I already owned. Then go over it with a black paint pen I bought at Walmart. I use a paper punch to punch two holes in top center of label. Wire label to plumbing pipe cut to desired length. The pipe I also bought at Lowe's for $10 or $12. It comes in 6 foot length. It's permanent and easily read.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America