-
AuthorContent
rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #7721634

Need some advice. Made some soap for the very first time. Used glycerin bars(from Hobby Lobby), a small bar of Shea butter, essence of peppermint oil, dried fresh mint. Melted the glycerin in a slow cooker and then added the other ingredients after it melted. Poured it in soap molds and it turned out pretty nice. Only thing is I wish it had more of a lather to it. What can I add to make soap with a good lather? I read that some things would make it slimy...not good.

TIA :)
planolinda
Plano, TX

April 24, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #7732530

i have been making glycerin bars for a long time--also called melt and pour
i think it is the base you use that determines the lather--i once bought a huge ammount of base online and it did not lather much at all--i hated it!
i buy from a company called wholesale online --i have always had good luck with their base-
rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #7734125

Thanks, Planolinda. I will look them up. Actually the soap I made is not bad. DH loves it...says it is very refreshing and tingly. I'm very excited about continuing to make my own. It is a lot less expensive and healthier than what is sold in stores. I also put some fresh unbrewed coffee grounds in a couple of bars. It made a nice exfoliating type of soap. I read that coffee is a good antioxidant for the skin.
planolinda
Plano, TX

April 25, 2010
9:40 AM

Post #7735522

my husband likes the soap i make too
when you start buying online you will get a much better price --even with shipping--
Ghostwytch
Newport, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #7801822

Hi Rosethyme,
I was a supplier of a high quality glycerin soap base for many years. So naturally I did allot of teaching of my customers on how to make glycerin soaps :-)

In order to get the best lather possible,
a) start with a good quality base
b) add no more than 1 oz. of extra oils/butters per pound of soap base.

So if you have 16 oz. of glycerin soap base (melt & pour), only add 1 oz. of shea butter, cocoa butter or other oils or butters. Any more than this will compromise your lathering ability in your base.

This little rule of thumb always worked well for my customers. Hope it helps you too :-)

Blessed Be,
GW
CatieBeth
Saint Charles, MO

June 1, 2010
11:12 AM

Post #7848861

I use castor oil in my cold process soaps to give it more lather. I've never used it in my melt and pour soaps, but you could give it a try. Part of the fun is experimenting.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7857097

This message was edited Sep 13, 2010 6:34 PM
BackPorchSoap
Duxbury, MA

July 22, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7988851

Hi,

Most of the craft stores carry a low-quality glycerin soap base. The base I use in my business and in the classes I teach is from Wholesale Supplies Plus (www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com). Many different bases - I like the natural base the best.

Keep in mind that any extra oil you add to the base will reduce lather. I add 1 teaspoon maximum per pound of soap base.

Have fun!

planolinda
Plano, TX

July 22, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #7989294

back porch soap i use the same supplier and have for years--i first used a different company and the lather was terrible but i love the wholesale supplies
just made some using the honey based, some using the oatmeal based and some using the goats milk--
BackPorchSoap
Duxbury, MA

July 24, 2010
10:11 AM

Post #7993223

planolinda wrote:back porch soap i use the same supplier and have for years--i first used a different company and the lather was terrible but i love the wholesale supplies
just made some using the honey based, some using the oatmeal based and some using the goats milk--

I love goatsmilk! Mmmmm...honey, oatmeal AND goatsmilk. :)
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 24, 2010
11:41 AM

Post #7993401

only negative about ordering online is the shipping is really expensive! but still worth it! i do not sell anymore--just make for family and friends--so don't buy in as big volume and am trying to use my fragrances instead of buying new-same with colors--i've really enjoyed making soap and the house always smells so good too!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #8096615

Ok Im really still new to soap making I have made one batch of melt & pour . I had asked about adding anything to it and was told you can't add anything to M&P other then solids & scents that it wouldn't set up right.
I was really wanting to do goats milk or grapeseed oil
Now reading here looks like I was told wrong .
so rule of thumb is 1oz to a LB ?
planolinda
Plano, TX

September 16, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #8102870

i've never added much to the melt and pour--so maybe that would be about right--experiment with it and see

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Soap and Candle-making Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 14 Aug 21, 2007 9:24 AM
I got wax and empty pop bottles for christmas veeja3 10 Jun 1, 2010 7:56 PM
Who are the soapmakers??? gingerlily 73 Nov 12, 2007 1:05 AM
New at making soap Patty08 62 Dec 19, 2007 2:35 PM
Hello, new candlemaker to this forum... waxedout 11 Aug 10, 2014 8:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America