Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: want a dark blue plumbago

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mjm67rjm
Houston, TX

April 20, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #7721968

I want to purchase two of the dark blue plumbagos. From the pictures on this site some look darker than others but the latin name seems to be the same for all the pictures. What is the name for the one which has the dark blue flowers, rather than the light blue?

Thanks,
Mary Jane
Smokey_SC
Piedmont, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #7721989

Sorry, I can't help you. Just be careful with Plumbago, it was very invasive for me.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7722305

Can you post a link to the pictures you're referring to? Assuming you're referring to Plumbago auriculata http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/414/ I've never seen one in real life that's dark blue so my suspicion is the pics look that way because of the lighting or the camera that was used to take the picture. There's another plant though with the common name plumbago which does get darker blue flowers--Ceratostigma plumbaginoides http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/876/
mjm67rjm
Houston, TX

April 20, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #7722365

I'm not sure how to post a picture that is already on the website. The two I've looked at are PlantFiles: Picture #7 of Plumbago, Cape Leadwort (Plumbago auriculata) and PlantFiles: Picture #15 of Plumbago, Cape Leadwort (Plumbago auriculata).
You may be right about the light for these pics. However we have seen a darker blue plumbago here in Houston on occasion. As our two light blue plumbagos are gone since our freezing cold winter this year, we want to replace with the darker blue ones which we enjoy more.

RE: the invasiveness of plumbagos. I love it. It grows and blooms and blooms.

Thanks for your help.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #7722400

If I'm looking at the correct pictures, I think it's cameras and lighting causing most of the difference you're seeing. It wouldn't surprise me if some are slightly darker than others, but none of them are going to be what I'd call dark blue. It's also possible there are some cultivars that tend to be a little darker in color--here's the list of ones that are in Plant Files. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Plumbaginaceae/Plumbago/auriculata/cultivar/0/ It's hard to say from these pictures which ones might be darker because of the camera/lighting issues, but you could ask at your local nursery if they know of a cultivar that is a little darker. Or else keep going around to your local nurseries when they're blooming and watch out for ones that have the color you want.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America