Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nervjiggy
North Little Rock, AR

April 21, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #7724490

I read that they prefer sandy soil with little nutrients. I have also heard people say to use compost, fertilizer, etc. I'm growing mine in 3 gal buckets and I'm wondering if I should use some sort of fertilizer in the soil or not? Thanks
RATFOOD
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2010
10:42 PM

Post #7726258

Short answer is yes, you need fertilizer... Long answer is you need to check out the container garden thread because there is a lot more to know about it than anyone here can touch on. People like tapla have studied this stuff for us, to make it easy on people like us. If you really want to have a long term jalapeņo pot then theres where you start...
nervjiggy
North Little Rock, AR

April 22, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #7727068

Should I use some sort of potting mix or liquid fertilizer or what?
nervjiggy
North Little Rock, AR

April 25, 2010
10:00 PM

Post #7737423

Can anyone help me out?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #7745881

Plants in containers will leach nutrients faster than plants in the ground, so you definitely should fertilize. You want something that doesn't have a high N (Nitrogen) content or you'll get lots of green and little fruit. A fertilizer with higher P (Phosphorous) and K (Potassium) numbers will be good. Personally, I use homemade compost at planting time then fertilize with fish emulsion as a foliar feed every week to two weeks (depends on the plant). I garden in raised beds so they are sort of containers;o)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America