Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Lookin for my Slug Thread friends..!

Hayward (Z8b-9a), CA(Zone 8b)

Hi ya'll! So sorry I was gone for about forevah :( Had a bunch of nasty things happen :(. Just checkin in to see how everybody's doin! Really missed DG and no, the farm game did not swallow me hook line and sinker ;)

-Chez

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Hi there. Nice to see ya. Check your D-mail

cool beans! :)

Woodhull, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Chezca!
Good to see you. Sorry to hear bad things have happened.

hi gramma ^_^ thanks but it ain't nuthin' we can't handle ;) how've you guys been? Spring sorta b*tc*slapped me into being happy again, so here's to our perennials!

Oh btw, can you guys tell me what this is? It sorta just popped up and I know I didnt plant it last year ^_^! looks like lily of the valley but me no think so...

Thumbnail by Chezca

It looks like something from the Amaryllis genus. Do the flowers open more than that? They do not look right for Lily of the Valley, Snowflake (Galanthus) or snowdrop (leucojum). What else can ya tell us about them? (fragrance, size, etc)

(Zone 7a)

It's an Alium of some kind.

I thought so also Kwanjin, but after looking at page after page of pictures, I still wasn't able to find one with flowers of that sort. I thought maybe some sort of Amaryllis due to the arrangement/growth of the flowers. Of course we all know my propensity for making the wrong guess....grin

(Zone 7a)

There's this one...?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/14692/

hi guys :) I posted tis pic in the plant ID forum and kwanjin's right, they said it's an "allium triquetrum". it's very pretty but they also said it can be invasive... maybe i'll just transplant it in a pot to control it?

Cool. Good on you Kwanjin. Should have made my search for "WHITE" wild onion.....grin

(Zone 7a)

You've IDed WAAAAY more than I ever will, Moon! LOL

Yes, put it in a pot and keep it from you other plants unless you want to pull out babies until the end of time.

As Plantladylin would say, We are half blind but GOOD guessers....grin I wish the wild onion here had such nice blooms....just tiny white flowers and horribly prolific and most odiferous....grin

Frankly, there is no "stink" coming from the flowers. I have them in a vase in the house and there's no smell to them, just purty to look at ^_^. A lot of people say they stink to high heavens and that scared me so I went and checked it out :), but no stink thank god! ^_^

The variety of wild onion here has a strong onion scent with a slightly sour undertone, but mainly just strong onion...

Delhi, LA

I don't know what the flower is Chezca, but last year we bought some Amarilis bulbs and a pack of smaller bulbs was in there as well. They look just like what you have.

Hello Moon. The day lilies you sent look great and the clematis is starting to run like crazy.

Happy to hear that Jim. They are both good hardy plants. Hope you get tons of blooms from both.

Man I'm jealous ^_^! I bought a couple of clematis thingys at home depot (50% off!), the ones that come in a plastic bag. Mind ya, this is the very first time I'm trying those bagged up things. When I opened one of the bags, I was all "where's the plant"?!? then i looked some more and found this- this- weak lookin root thingy... I guess that's the plant? I almost threw it away cos i thought it was just packaging ^_^! Now I'm out in the yard starin at my two little pots of dirt, willing something to pop up any day now... or hour...^_^

On a happier note, a week ago I found a variety of leftover seed packets and just thought "hmm, I could just throw them all on a pile of dirt and see what happens...", it's survival of the fittest! I thought if they didn't grow, then they're not "special" enough to be called "my plants" ^_^! sure enough I got loads and loads of plantlings sproutin up! woohoo! now, the only problem is, which is which?!? ^_^

Just call it your garden of daily surprises....grin

Woodhull, IL(Zone 5a)

Chezca I started keeping the packages or at least a list of what I planted.
That way at least Moon has a list of possibilities when I show her a picture and say
" what's this". LOL

I DID keep the packages, BUT ^_^ left them out in the sun (and the occasional storm and hail) the whole year and the darn things faded and got moldy (who wudda thunk it?!? It was just a year... hmph!)! So i thought the seeds were goners and was just really hopin for a plant or two ^_^ now I'm "blessed" with what looks like a thousand million billion unknowns! the plant id peeps are gunna luuuuv me in a few weeks! ;)

Woodhull, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL Yes they are. There are a lot of people good at that plant ID stuff, but I'm not one of them.

Delhi, LA

You can do the plants like I did the kids on my school bus, it was to much trouble to learn all there names, so I just gave them one of my own. Made it a lot easier on me and after a day or two they answered to it.

LOL. I can just see Chezca going out to the garden.....good morning fuzzy leaf, looks like skinny stem is getting ready to bloom.....grin

Delhi, LA

I saw one of parents of a boy who used to ride my bus the other day and I aske how "Tiger Bill" was. "Oh he is doing great," she replied. See! Even she learned his name. Up until he rode my bus she thought it was Jamie.

Kids love nicknames that make them feel special....ya did good Jim.

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

knock! knock! Can I join in?

Hi Chezca, I'm Smiley. The slug thread was before my time, I think, but I know everyone else on this thread.

I too have thrown seeds (in pots) and then wondered what everything is. I just wait till they bloom, then say "oh hello.." I *do* save my sticks & packages, though. They're right over there, stuck inside a folder..

Hi Smiley. Chezca posted a few times on the Basil thread. That was before we got moved....grin I also invited her to the Camp.

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

Good deal! I look forward to seeing her there too.

hi guys ^_^ this weather is just too nice to stay in :) I was out all day yday and today doing what many ya'll are thinkin i'm doing in the yard... "giving some encouragement" to my unknown plants-to-be ^_^

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

I go outside and study my plants. They all think I'm crazy. I forgot who said it (should ask DH) but there's a story of a reporter going to an artists studio to observe him work. The artist sat there for hours, the reporter finally asked him what he was doing. The artist said "I'm working!".

I'm paraphrasing the whole story, but it went something like that.

If I could translate what I see in my head to the garden, I could charge admission....and get it....LOL

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

Me too Moon. It never quite translates the same...

Delhi, LA

At least ya'll are one up on me, I haven't got anything in my head and not much on top.

^_^ lol gramps :)

hey i've been wanting to add digitalis to my menagerie, any thoughts? im just afraid cos people say they're very poisonous that they can kill you JUST BY STARIN at the flowers! (ok, i overreached on that one^_^) But seriously tho, whacha guys think?

Foxgloves are beautiful plants. Here is some info on them for ya Chezca. I know lots of folks who grow it with no problems. I think you have dog(s) if I remember correctly. Unless your dog is big on getting to the back of flower beds and chewing on your plants, it shouldn't be a problem. Because they are tall plants, they are usually toward the back of flowerbeds and not readily available to anyone walking through the garden.

http://plantsbulbs.suite101.com/article.cfm/foxglove_plant_profile

http://www.gardenology.org/wiki/Digitalis

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Digitpu.htm

thanks moon! i thought so too ;)... i think i'm gonna go for it ^_^

Delhi, LA

Most of Germany is in for an early death, because foxglove grows wild over there.

Can't wait to see pics of your pretty foxgloves.....grin

I think it is good to know about plant toxicity, but forewarned is forearmed. If you really like a plant, grow it. (within the law of course) Take whatever precautions are necessary. Must be what the Germans do Huh Jim?

Oh i'm still huntin around our area for them plants :). Might have to start them from seed but we'll see... ^_^ I'm thinkin of caging the first foot around the plants in chicken wire just in case our semi-puppy-dog gets any ideas :). our other pup is fine since she and the other female doberman got the other side of the yard where there are no plants whatso-didly-ever to munch on ^_^.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.