Photo by Melody

Mid-South Gardening: Too Many Plants! Want some??

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 14, Views: 243
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7728407

This message was edited Apr 29, 2010 3:31 PM

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #7735453

This offer is now closed. Sorry to have bothered you.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2010
5:06 PM

Post #7736581

Hey, Ilike that thing you built. did you build that nancy?
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 26, 2010
12:20 PM

Post #7739170

That is cute! would be really cute covered in blooming vines!

Wish I was closer - I would love to have had some of the daylilies - but I am late seeing the post too!

Genna
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7743037

Yes, Kathy, I built that, with the help of a recently unemployed friend. We've spent the last three weeks building pergolas and a gazebo through my gardens. He has a bit more construction experience than I do. I can never figure out rafter angles, but he's a whiz with that. I have all the fun power tools too, so it's not too difficult to get a guy over here when you break out the power tools. LOL

Here are the small arbors outside the fence that faces the highway.

This message was edited Apr 27, 2010 5:51 PM

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #7743042

Here's a closeup of one of the small gate arbors. I have 6 gates in the privacy fence that encloses my entire yard. Four of them have arbors over them.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #7743046

Here's one of the gates we put together. All of them look like this. They have fence pickets on both sides and I'll put sun sculptures on each side.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #7743051

Here's one of the pavillions we built in front of the storage building, across from the porch. Eventually I'll roof it and the pavillion directly in front of the porch. This whole side of my yard is the "wedding garden" where I'll host family weddings, reunions, garden parties, Red Hat parties, etc. So I want to have lots of covered seating areas where we can gather even if it rains.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #7743064

Here's the pavillion in front of the porch, across from the storage building. Eventually I'll take up the bricks and put down a new floor. The bricks have broken over the years and have sunken in places so chairs and tables wobble on it.

Currently the steps on the porch come off on one side. But soon I'll take the rails down in the front and build steps off the front of the porch, leading right onto the patio/pavillion.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #7743080

This is the cabana in the "honeymoon suite" just around the corner from the storage building. I intend to dress it up like a beach cabana with some curtains and a reclining couch made for outdoors.

I also intend to plant love-themed plants and tropical-looking plants back here. This section of my garden is more of a zone 8; it's sheltered from much of the north wind and the soil drains well, so I can grow more tropical plants in this area, like gingers, windmill palms, palmettos, etc. So I'll dig everything up back here and plant it like a tropical getaway. I also intend to put in a waterfall back here. I have all the stuff I need for it; I just have to figure out where I'm going to put it exactly and dig the hole.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #7743105

This is the gazebo we built in my Serenity Garden. This was the toughest of all the projects. It's rather difficult to square up an 8-sided structure. We had blueprints for two different gazebos and we got confused and built the base for a smaller one and then cut rafters for the larger one. So I ended up with this small gazebo with this huge five foot tall roof. It looked like a church steeple! I lived with it for a couple of days, thinking I'd get used to it, but I didn't. So I finally talked Kevin into cutting the rafters down and making a shorter roof, only 2.5 ft tall, and I like it much better.

Apparently making the seating for the gazebo was even harder than making the rafters. Kevin made me go away and leave him alone while he figured out how to make the octagon shaped bench, something he'd never done before. Apparently he had to have all his attention on it without my asking questions or interrupting his train of thought. I think he enjoyed this project least of all, but I love the results. I enjoy sitting out here after working in the garden all day.

Today I planted some wisteria vines around the gazebo. And I'm getting ready to plant a bunch of veggies behind the gazebo. I just have to clear out some more plants.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2010
3:56 PM

Post #7743118

I want to build a couple more arbors and rebuild the covered patio that comes off the kitchen, out into the Serenity Garden. But for now I've got to focus on getting my veggies planted and rearranging plants. So it may be fall before I get back to the construction projects.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #7743806

Wow you've been busy. My goodness!! I got a huge trailer load of 4 in ch bamboo coming to the house that we are goin g to go cut soon, I can't wait , I need to pull some ideas off the net.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 28, 2010
8:05 AM

Post #7744991

Wow - nice projects! Love the octagon gazebo and the white arbors!!

Genna
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2010
12:40 PM

Post #7745705

Thanks, Genna. I may end up painting everything white eventually. I like the clean way it looks. But once you start painting, then you have to do it regularly.

This week is a much easier, slower-paced week. I'm transplanting a lot of plants and just tossing others on the burn pile. This afternoon I'll be mulching a new area outside the fence and lining it with stone. This fall I may have a Red Hat party over here. The last one we had was a lot of fun. We did a treasure hunt (looking for a "lost" gnome) and the ladies really seemed to enjoy hunting for and figuring out the clues throughout the gardens.

On the fence, about midway between the two arbors, I'll put a big butterfly sign with the name of my gardens, The Butterfly Ranch, on it. I've already cut the plexiglass and drawn the butterfly on it. When it's too hot to garden this summer, I may stay inside a couple of days and paint the sign.

Now, I've got to get out and mulch. They're calling for rain on Fri and I wont' be able to get the truck back to this area when the ground is wet, and I sure don't want to haul it back there with a wheelbarrow if I can help it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America