Photo by Melody

Poultry and Livestock: What's in a Name?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 110, Views: 1,041
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 22, 2010
11:30 PM

Post #7729135

For the longest time, I have found myself amused at many of the handles (Names) used here on Dave's Garden. Often I have thought what prompted that handle?? Some are so creative, some are so catchy, some are even pretty or striking. So I wondered if I told you my story, would you share your story with us. Also I love having a face to go with the name. Claire has shared some great pic's of her and her lambs, Catscan shared a pic of her though I never could figure out which one was her. Would you be willing to share a pic and tell us what's in a Name?

When I was about twelve I saw my first wrestling match, I was very impressed. I wanted to see more and a man told me I could see them free if I would come to the arena two hours before start time and set up chairs. It was a lot of work but I wanted to be there. After the match I had to put the chairs away. That was okay also. I wanted to be there. After a short time of doing this once a week I met a wrestler, he was huge, I asked him what his name was and he told me he was Haystack Calhoun. I still remember that he weighed in just a tad over four hundred lbs. He wore bib overalls that were cut off just below the knees. He was always barefoot. I noticed he never hurt anyone he would just put them in a barehug and lay them on the mat and then plop on top of them pinning them to the mat. I loved the gentle giant. I was to young to know it was a show, but I was impressed that he never hurt anyone and he always won. I wanted to be just like him. OK thats my silly story. But strangely enough I still think of him, so when I found the Garden I decided I wanted to honor my hero by using his name. Silly but thats my story, and I have had my mug on here plenty so no need for that. I'd love to hear your story. Haystack.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2010 11:34 PM
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

April 23, 2010
4:31 AM

Post #7729349

What a great idea Hay,I have often thought of the same thing wondering what someone looks like and how they got there name.Green is because thats my favorite color and 04735 is my zip code.

Thumbnail by green04735
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 23, 2010
5:42 AM

Post #7729463

Maybe a year ago or so, there was a thread on this subject. Lots of people responded.
I found it, but see it started long ago.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/89631

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/161863/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/226887/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/435599/

Last post was July of 2005. Where does time go ?

Country Gardens has been our farm name since 1985.
Just call me Bernie!

Weird, I can't get the links to work.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2010 7:45 AM
cerridwenn
Farmington, NM
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2010
6:32 AM

Post #7729603

Ceridwyn (with a huge variety of gaelic spellings, pronounced KARE-id-wen) is the Welsh goddess of transformation, herb knowledge, literacy and shape shifting. I grew up on mythology from around the world but especially celtic, and of the celtic i've always loved welsh the best. I suppose you could say Ceridwyn is my patron? if that makes more sense to you. anyway i've adapted the name to a spelling that is non-traditional out of respect - i'm honoring her by taking this name, not attempting to portray her online. have used either cerridwenn or cerridwenn's cat as my online "handle" for at least 12 years and so far never had anyone go "hey, that's me!" so i figure it's alright.

oh, and i have a photo up on my dg homepage.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

April 23, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #7729620

I want to know where all the peaple went that was on here in years past?Did they stop raising chickens or just lost interest.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7729730

Here is a story I wrote on how I get my user name. The 107 is our house address.

How I get my user namel

Now I am a bird watcher. I have fixed up a place to set on our carport. And I have feeders both out in the side yard and hanging around the edge of the carport.

A couple of summers ago I started feeding meal worms to the birds. The first takes where the little Caroline wrens. A tiny, bold and fearless brown bird with a iron will and a huge song. Well one day I was running low of the worms but expecting a new shipment any day, so I was only putting our a small number of the worms. One of the wrens came to the dish and looked--no worms----she looked around and then flow over and landed on the top edge of my laptop. And boldly looked me straight in the eye.

Meekly I said "yes mam" and went and get some more worms for her.

Another time I was working on the laptop and I felt something on my leg, looking down I watched as the wren hopped up my leg. I have also held a small dish with worms and one landed on my finger.

And that is how I get my user name and here I am with the demon child

Thumbnail by wren107

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

April 23, 2010
7:31 AM

Post #7729739

Beautiful dog,what breed?
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #7729742

My "handle" Doe 41 is actually my e-mail add. Doeenuf41. My boyfriend and I chose names for ourselves and he is Deer1. Do you see it?

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2010
8:05 AM

Post #7729836

Andre is a Belgian Tervuern the is the 3 one to run my live. Right now he is watching the cookies that I was eating. LOL
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2010
8:29 AM

Post #7729902

Miss Jest'r was the name of my first horse. I did not own her at the time when I rode her for the first time out into the desert, we came up on a hill and started going up it and the ground gave way. She had been in a wreck a few months before that with her owner and fell down a hill. She must have remembered that cause she came out of the wash bucking. I flipped off and cut my head, requiring 5 stitches. As soon as I hit the ground she stopped and waited for me to get back on her. Bloody and sore I got back on her and we walked back to the stables. I left the next day for Nashville for business, came back 5 days later, got the stitches out of my head and then entered an agreement to buy her. I loved her from day one... She was previously known as Shady and my son was in the Renaissance thing at the time and he was a court Jester. So I gave her the name Miss Jest'r. She is gone, but never forgotten. Actually she is what lead me to Daves, I was looking for a place to post missing information about her when I ran across daves equine forum. I have made many friends here both in the equine and poultry and gardening forum.

Dear Mr. Haystack,
My name is Billy Bob. I am a cowboy. My Nanny calls me Billy Bob, my momma calls me Eli, my Antie Ginah calls me B Bob and Uncle Ronnie calls me Bob O. At school my teachers call me Billy Bob. I will be good at school. Hey Mr Haystack come to my house cause I dear him,(I asked what Dear meant and he said It means I love him) My real name is Elliott William Robert Smith, that's what my name is...I want Mr Haystack to call me Billy Bob. Love Billy Bob Thats my name...

PS From Nanny, Billy is named after my father Elliott and his other great grandfather William Robert. when he was born I named him Billy Bob and it has stuck.
frans530
Rankin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2010
10:21 AM

Post #7730171

I like doing this and learning about everyone:
my name IS Fran Smith
Frans530 is the soundex code for Fran Smith (look it up, very interesting)
The Soundex code for a name consists of a letter followed by three numerical digits: the letter is the first letter of the name, and the digits encode the remaining consonants. Similar sounding consonants share the same digit so, for example, the labial consonants B, F, P, and V are each encoded as the number 1. Vowels can affect the coding, but are not coded themselves except as the first letter. However if "h" or "w" separate two consonants that have the same soundex code, the consonant to the right of the vowel is not coded.

The correct value can be found as follows:

1.If "h", "w" separate two consonants with the same soundex code, change consonants to right of the vowel into "h" until they have the same soundex code
2.Replace consonants with digits as follows (but do not change the first letter):
b, f, p, v => 1
c, g, j, k, q, s, x, z => 2
d, t => 3
l => 4
m, n => 5
r => 6
3.Collapse adjacent identical digits into a single digit of that value.
4.Remove all non-digits after the first letter.
5.Return the starting letter and the first three remaining digits. If needed, append zeroes to make it a letter and three digits.
Using this algorithm, both "Robert" and "Rupert" return the same string "R163" while "Rubin" yields "R150". "Ashcraft" yields "A261".

Here is an auto converter : http://resources.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/soundexconverter

This message was edited Apr 23, 2010 12:23 PM
cerridwenn
Farmington, NM
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2010
11:49 AM

Post #7730374

wow that is so cool! i never heard of anything like that. my middle name, which is an old family surname that we didn't know about at the time my parents named me, is L500 and my last name is M620 and my husband and son's surname is P442 and there are no other similar names that would make a P442 so i can't wait till they get home from school so i can tell them. you friggan rock, fran!
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2010
2:02 PM

Post #7730677

Good idea Hay, I love these!
Mine comes from my love of fragrant plants... When I joined Dave's my favorite fragrant was Nicotina heaven scent. I was a bit worried that people would think I thought too much of myself lol ;) I changed the spelling and went with it... After all it is a plant site someone will get it, right?
Here I am after a very worth wild trip to the horse stables :D

Thumbnail by Heavinscent

cerridwenn
Farmington, NM
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #7730834

and now you're ready to be heaving scent...
SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

April 23, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #7731024

My name on here is about some dreams I have had off and on in my life. I am always black wolf in my dreams and my family were all wolves also.They were wolves of diffrent colors.Im also part cherokee and belive the wolf is one of my totem animals anyway all my e mails or handles have to do with wolves.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 23, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #7731452

WOW!! Very interesting stories, I hope all of you have enjoyed this as much as I have, and I hope many more will see fit to participate. Fran you amaze me. Hay
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 24, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #7732671

When I first tried to sign up for Yahoo.. Like 10 years ago.. I wanted to be JJ is me.. but it was taken, so was JJ anything.. I got frustrated and said "I bet they don't have a ZZ" and I was right.. So my computer name was ZZ is me..
When I was selling on Ebay, a girl named my website ZZsPurteez (jewelry and crafts)
Then when I found DG I had several plants I loved and didn't know how to care for.. (my babiez) So my DG name became ZZsBabiez which ended up being quite appropriate!

I'm sorry, all my pics are on my old computer.. I honestly can't find them on here yet.. my pic is on FB though.. and several on here in old threads..
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

April 24, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7733975

Smedgekles is a combination of two names we had for roosters. My beloved little Speckles that wasn't with us near long enough and another roo named Smudge. I put the two names together to get smedgekles.

Thumbnail by smedgekles

greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7734072

Greykyttyn came from the darling Miss twitch, my gray cat that came to be as a rescue last summer late. She happen to be sitting on my lap when i was filling this out & setting up a new email. I figured if i didn't want to be found or connect to my old accounts thus letting a former friend cause more problems i'd need to change my email. She was my first kitten to have such a unique personality. Very needy, very trusting... I figured using Twitch would get me laughed at. Thus greykyttyn was born.

This is Twitch my now half grown cat.

Thumbnail by greykyttyn

greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7734086

This is me.

Thumbnail by greykyttyn

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2010
10:51 AM

Post #7735663

ok, my name-
jordan, my last name
kitty, a nickname uised by my husband and niece
jo, my middle name
thus-jordankittyjo
grownut
Clarkson, KY

April 25, 2010
1:56 PM

Post #7736049

Mine...silly and simple: I'm a nut about any kind of growing thing imaginable and the growing thereof...and nobody else had used it :)
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2010
4:22 PM

Post #7736476

Mine is simple, not imaginative or clever in the least. My name and the B's are for Barking, Blooming, Barns.
frans530
Rankin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7736673

oh Annie, I love that.. very cute & wise
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7736814

Are you kidding me? LOL As I was reading these I was thinking how unique people's names were and the way they came up with them. Funny thing, when I read Haystack's that is how I "imagined him in my mind." Just a really good guy!! Your name blew me away! Lots of talented and creative people here, Wow!
frans530
Rankin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2010
6:00 AM

Post #7737941

I so agree on the Haystack.. lol, he may be fooling his wife that he is a grumpy old man.. but we all know better... lol

Some states use the soundex for their drivers license.. if your state does, it is a very cool party trick.. Illinois happens to be one of those state.. I can always tell people the first 4 digits of thier license.. never fails to amaze them.
Loon
AuGres, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7738110

My user name is short for my real last name which is LOONEY. :) I always tell people I wasn't born Looney, I just got that way after I got married. :)

Thumbnail by Loon

AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #7738151

I'm cursed with a brain that gives me a visual with everything, but amazingly, it's right a lot of the time, good, bad, delightful or disgusting. I get a mental picture of people when I read or talk to them. Just a weird little thing my brain does LOL
I sooooo pictured Haystack that way, and many others too.
Our state must not use the soundex or if it does I don't know how to spell my last name correctly!
Guess what we planted around the bank of the cicken coop - Hen & Chicks. Clearly, we've lost our mind.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 26, 2010
9:09 AM

Post #7738614

OH Man Looney, that cracked me up. What a great sense of humor.

Come join us, if your handle doesn't have a story behind it, just tell us a cute or funny story about you so we can get to know you a little better. Were just having fun.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2010 9:15 AM
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2010
2:53 PM

Post #7739616

Thank you Haystack for starting this.. Its nice to just have fun...
mevnmart
Spiro, OK
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7749570

On some other sites, my nick is mevnjmart, but I joined Dave's before I had my third son. Mine goes like this:

Mat
Eileen
Vincent
Nico
MARTinez

Now we have a Joseph as well! Here's a pic!

Thumbnail by mevnmart

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 29, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #7750035

Now that is cool, and so creative. I love the pic. It's so easy to see who the supervisor is and who does the (clearing throat) "LABOR"...LOL.
mevnmart
Spiro, OK
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2010
6:43 AM

Post #7750750

LOL, Hay. My father-in-law and I were working on replacing the floor in our coop. He was the measuring and cutting guy, and I did all the prying and hammering. We were a great team. He's got a great mind for math and I don't, so without his direction, Lord knows how it would have turned out!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #7751086

Mmmeemth Hay! (How do you spell sticking out your tongue?) LOL ;-)~
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 30, 2010
8:54 AM

Post #7751127

My name is Dahlianut cuz I like violas. Dear wren I think that is the first pic I have seen of you and the demon child together! I get misty over the adoring expression on his face as he looks at you. This is me.

Thumbnail by dahlianut

Catscan
Lodi
United States

April 30, 2010
9:09 AM

Post #7751162

Dahlianut! You are just as I imagined you!

I don't know why Haystack had a problem recognising me in the previous picture, I have been told I am unforgettable...but here is a better headshot.

Thumbnail by Catscan

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 30, 2010
9:33 AM

Post #7751236

Cousin Cascan how do you brush your teeth?
Catscan
Lodi
United States

April 30, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #7751448

Waterpik.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 30, 2010
11:03 AM

Post #7751454

brilliant

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #7755372

Dear dahlia it is the food that he is looking at here is his usual way of looking at me.
He is laughing at me.

Thumbnail by wren107

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 1, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #7755396

Too funny wren ^_^
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2010
10:08 AM

Post #7763334

My "name" is the name of my first golden retreiver, Tamberlin MacKenzie of King's Highway (yeah, they told me I had to give him a huge name so I did). I was given him as a gift when I was a sophmore at the College of Wooster in Wooster Ohio. He was a cross between a "show" golden and "field trial" golden. He was my constant companion, he went classes with me and would sleep in a big bookbag or under my chair. When school was over, we went to Maine and he learned to swim the hard way (by falling in). After that, water was his greatest love. He was very depressed when I got married and moved into a no dogs appartment. He was in the wedding though. He lived with my Mom until he passed away at the great dog age of 16. He was my best friend (better even than my DH sometimes). Now I have Andrew, my rescued golden. He is originally from Louisiana and came to us as a result of Hurricane Katrina. Andrew would LOVE to meet Andre, I bet!

Thumbnail by tamberlin

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #7764438

LOL!!! except Andre does not like to swim(nearly get drowned at the dog park twice) He will wade but not go deep.
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

May 4, 2010
5:04 PM

Post #7764531

tamberlin that is a beautiful dog.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

May 4, 2010
10:15 PM

Post #7765398

Smedge took the words right out of my mouth, also a great story. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum...Hay.
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2010
2:39 AM

Post #7765508

Thank you! Andrew loves to eat my blueberries and raspberries. He's checking the plants daily but we don't have fruit yet!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 5, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #7765930

We had a yellow lab mix who liked to go berry picking with me. If I wasn't quick he ate all the ripe ones before I got to them.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #7767054

My first terv would pick the southern grapes from one of our neighbors vines (this was before I know that grapes where bad for dogs but maybe the southern ones are different)
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 5, 2010
2:06 PM

Post #7767077

What are southern grapes? Muscadines?

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #7767347

yes I aint trying to spell that word, very afraid of what my spell check would throw at me.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

May 5, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #7767509

Wren I used to live in Whitehouse, do you know where that is? A small community just north of Jacksonville. Just before you get to the Georgia southern border, used to love to hunt down there...Hay

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7767608

Yes been through there a lot. Have you ever been to Ocean Pond? I have hear that there is good hunting there.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 5, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #7768021

OMG
"Ocean Pond"
Can an ocean have a pond??? Dear Wren was that maybe an Ocean Pool? I am so keen about the ocean pond thing though.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2010
4:22 AM

Post #7768681

LOL It is a very large lake that when the wind comes up has waves like a ocean. Was a great place to camp when we where younger. It is in the middle of a large Osceola National Forest
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 6, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #7769112

Is it a little salty? If so, it a true ocean pond.
Catscan
Lodi
United States

May 6, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #7769236

Bull shark!

I believe every inland body of water wishing to be designated an Ocean requires a reproducing population of bull sharks...
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 6, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #7769538

Good point Cousin Catscan ... and dolphins. Just discovered exclaiming: "Bull shark!" is almost as good as exclaiming: "Balderdash!" Go ahead. Do it out loud.

ps my fav word for today is snausage as in 'I sure snausaged those dahlias into that container this year'. Credit for this luvly word correctly goes to Queeq in FL. Wren do you say snausage alot? I'm wondering if it's a FL word.

edit: Queeq's name is really Queeqqueg. I just call her Queeq cuz Queeq is a great name.

This message was edited May 6, 2010 11:35 AM
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 6, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #7769662

Catscan is quite the wordsmith.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 6, 2010
11:25 AM

Post #7769667

Indeedy doo porkpal indeedy doo.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #7769803

Dahlia dear if I could figure out how you pronounce the word I might be able to tell you. But I do not think it is as the closes I could come to it was this and I do not think I would like one.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Snausages

Ocean pond does not have sharks but it does have big bass and really big gators.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 6, 2010
12:38 PM

Post #7769825

That's the object snausage wren and I agree they look pretty funky weird. The verb snausage = to squeeze/jam/cram things in.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2010
3:30 PM

Post #7770183

sorry must be a Yankee saying.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 6, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #7770200

Tee hee ^_^
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2010
11:23 PM

Post #8117769

I miss my Haystack... and my Catsy.and miss Diahlianut... You know who she is...

pethud pethud pethud...
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 24, 2010
7:53 AM

Post #8118150

(waving madly) I'm still here MissJ ^_^
porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 24, 2010
7:57 AM

Post #8118159

Hi D-nut, great to know you're still with us!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 24, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #8118192

Hi porkpal ^_^
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #8118913

OH Dahlianut OHHHHH (Doing the happy dance...) Hey please dance with me, and share with me my first Grand Champion ribbon for one of my chickens thanks to you and my good friends here teaching me to raise good girls and boys.. ... I miss you Dahlianut... Any chance you heading out this way this winter??
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 24, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #8118942

mi mi mi mi mi
♫OOOOOOOO
Miss J she be a grand champeen
her peeper was so fine, divine!
the judges huffed and puffed and preened
and bestowed a ribbon (blue it seems) ♫

WHOOO HOOOO! CONGRATS!!! Doin a dance of joy! It looks like we will be spending our winter holiday with some friends this year in Mexico. I wonder how I am to learn the multituinous things I need to learn about AZ if we don't go there every year. (Indeed I am hmpffing about this).
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #8119200

Ohhh my Dahlianut... Thank you... Here is the results from this year.
Roseane 5 chickens one Grand, 2 blue and 2 red
Billy 1 chicken a white...
Total Premium 30 dollars
Sold two chickens to a boy who wants to do 4H 5 dollars...
Paid to take pictures at the 4H auction 60 dollars

Bought 3 Marians 2 americana and 3 welshamers (Cant remember how to spell it) from another 4H child... Total spent 100

LOL I went in the hole.. but thats ok, it was a fun time. Took bunches of pictures of the kids so hopefully some of them will sell and then I can break even...

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #8119422

waving!!!!

learning new laptop
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #8119482

Miss Wren... HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #8119488

This is a great thread, you all make me laugh!

MissJestr can't wait to see the pics. My DN has an interest in showing chickens in 4-H next year, she'd love to see the pic's too!

Yes, I really miss Hay!

This message was edited Sep 24, 2010 9:23 PM
porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 24, 2010
8:08 PM

Post #8119556

Wren you're here too. - Reunion!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

September 25, 2010
4:30 AM

Post #8119856

HELLO EVERYONE

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2010
4:44 AM

Post #8119873

Good morning everyone.
Have missed y'all.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #8120676

I just found this thread.

I am a displaced Cajun living in Ky so I am Cajuninky. Not too inventive but it rolls nicely off the tongue. Just like spit. LOL Oh, I slay myself.

MissJ, Congrats on the fair results and please extend my congrats to Billy as well. Where I grew up we had big parish fairs that had tons of animals. Not so here. I really miss it. The other county we lived in had a small fair and we entered all of our animals. None of them got judged. Everybody who entered got blue ribbons. No satisfaction in that but it paid well. $10 for each animal. We even entered our pet possum, Jolie' Pas.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 26, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #8122802

WHOO HOOO reunion with dear Wren and CajuninKy too ^_^ Hi Annie BBB and green04735 ^_^ MissJ it sounds like it was a fabby season for you and Billy. Hi Billy ^_^ (waving madly)
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #8123013

Billy says HI to ya all... Next year we are entering Billy Bob the turkey hen we raised from egg. She is so cool and so gentle that we can pet her.. Now Larry and Tiffany (Her parents) are another story, they are flighty and you cant get next to them... LOL (Billy Names most of our animals and he named a turkey after his self)

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2010
2:51 AM

Post #8123213

Love it.

Waving to Billy.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #8125715

Hi All... well My Choice of name was actually my Grandmothers name Eufaula.
It is a Muskogee (Creek) name which I was told meant "Laughing as she Runs" WRONG!! I recently found out that it meant " Dog People"... which interpreted means People who have clans and depend on family as a group to live well. So in other words.. My name means I am aLoving Family person.

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #8125790

i beez here 2
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 28, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #8125793

Hi jordankittyjo ^_^

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2010
9:16 AM

Post #8125801

hey dnut, hows it going
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 28, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #8125810

Still dancing with the dahlias jordankittyjo. Is the heatwave finally over in AL?

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2010
9:24 AM

Post #8125818

yep, it is going to be a wonderful 93 degrees today. can't wait. i might need my furlined bloomers.
thinking about closing my pool soon
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2010
9:01 PM

Post #8127024

It was real cool here today. I was wearing my jacket.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2010
4:45 PM

Post #8128414

Wet here

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #8129266

Rain moved in on Sunday night.. 6 inches , then Tuesday night severe weather rushed through with Hail. Temps dropped from 90 degrees to 59 in less that 30 minutes. Steady drizzle with temps in the 70s today sofar. Lovin it!!
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #8131259

Jordan...whoo hoooooo doing the happy dance to see so many old wonderful friends... WHOO HOOOO

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #8140710

hey its almost time for wassiling!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

October 6, 2010
7:24 AM

Post #8140813

Tune up!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2010
10:06 AM

Post #8141119

Wassil you talkin' bout, Willis?
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 7, 2010
12:13 PM

Post #8143073

YOOO HOOO COUSIN GROWNUT! I'm going to go poke her as she dearly luvs a good wassail ^_^
porkpal
Richmond, TX

October 7, 2010
12:18 PM

Post #8143079

Inspire us!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 7, 2010
2:19 PM

Post #8143309

mi mi mi mi mi
♫OOOOOOOOOOO soon t'will be time
for wassails to chime
You share yours, and I'll share mine... ♫

Cousin Grow is on her way (cept she forgot her password oops)

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2010
12:57 PM

Post #8154312

Wassail it Miss Dahlianut...
porkpal
Richmond, TX

October 13, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #8154441

Yes, help get us in the spirit!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

May 28, 2011
4:02 AM

Post #8592240

I found this and thought somemore of you could tell us whats in your name and maybe a picture.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2011
8:38 AM

Post #8592591

My name comes from my car. A Mazda RX-8 the color is titanium. Not as creative as others, but I figured no one would have used that name since there aren't many of these cars on the road.

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8592607

this is me ... I was in San Francisco when this was taken.

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8592734

I hate to do this to folks I like so much, but somebody did ask. Here is what I look like these days.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

May 28, 2011
1:19 PM

Post #8592946

Nice car and nice pony.So nice to able to put faces to names
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8593188

I really love this thread. You are both beautiful women, I agree it's nice to put a face with the name.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8593645

Annie, you are too kind and I thank you. ( check is in the mail. ) LOL
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8594412

LOL, no need to send a check. You are one of the people I admire on this forum, it wouldn't be the same without you!!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2011
10:50 AM

Post #8594683

That is so kind of you to say. I appreciate it very much. I just love the friends I have made here and I do count you all as friends. Not just people I know from the computer. You are all a blessing to me.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

May 29, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8595747

I agree Annie they are both beautiful, and courageous also. I have known Cajun for sometime now and she is indeed a wonderful and blessed part of this forum...Titanium I'm so glad your here and thanks for the excellent pic.

Now I think our own dear, dear, Annie needs to send us a pic also...How bout it Annie...Hay
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8597141

I'm with Hay!
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8597657

Not only do I hate having my picture taken, I'm usually the one taking pictures of everyone! I'll try to get one and post it soon.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

May 30, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8597794

Annie you are the greatest sport! I think most of us shy away from the camera but it truly is so much fun to be able to put a face to the names, I also love hearing how our friends came to have their user names...Haystack

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America