Photo by Melody

Article: Perennial Plant Association selects Baptisia australis as the 2010 Perennial of the Year: Thanks for the reminder!

Communities > Forums > Article: Perennial Plant Association selects Baptisia australis as the 2010 Perennial of the Year
bookmark
Forum: Article: Perennial Plant Association selects Baptisia australis as the 2010 Perennial of the YearReplies: 7, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #7735275

TC, I hope to add this plant to my perennial border this year, either growing one by seed or buy purchasing one. I've already been plant shopping and have not seen a Baptisia at either greenhouse. But, I'm planning on a trip to a greenhouse outside of Hermitage, PA that sells a lot of perennials, so they will probably have it. I also received some seeds from a gardening friend this year, so I can always try growing it from seed. Thanks again for your informative article.

Linda
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2010
2:12 PM

Post #7736090

Hi Ms. Linda, and thanks for reading.

I was just at a nursery a little while ago and they didn't have it. I asked and was told that they don't receive word of the POY until it's too late for them to procure any plants. I find it odd that PPA wouldn't announce it to nurseries and greenhouses a year before, unless they themselves don't know.

Anyway, good luck finding yours!

TC
cpark
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2010
11:02 AM

Post #7738995

I tried growing Baptisia from seeds a couple of times without success. The seeds sprouted beautifully, but after a week or two flopped over, victims--I assume--of damping off.

I hope you'll have better luck. If you do, tell me your secret!
omasuziq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2010
2:10 PM

Post #7739473

The seed starting book I have says you should soak the seeds overnight. You may also want to scarify them (use a clean nail file to notch the seed coat to expedite germination). It also says warm soil (70 degrees) is necessary. Germination can take 2 to 7 weeks. And avoid overwatering! (Easier said than done sometimes.)

I've never tried these plants but if the flowers are the true blue shown in the photos, I'd sure try!
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2010
2:57 PM

Post #7739626

I've never tried starting this plant from seed.

Good luck to all who try!

TC
omasuziq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #7739738

I've thought about this some more and, really, how weird is this?

This is a native North American wild flower - for long, apparently, considered a grass (per Google) - and it's now a PPA designate (though not a new cultivar or whatever of an existing plant). That doesn't mean anything other than it probably ought to have been on everyone's radar screen before (including mine), but wasn't because it was drowned out by patented and higher priced species.

I'm looking at a catalog now that says they are selling these plants for $9.95 a pop (plus shipping). Imagine their profits with no costs incurred to the ultimate patent holder, Mother Nature.

I think a seed exchange might be more interesting.
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7739887

Excellent point omasuziq. But it's kind of hard for folks to get native plants from Mother Nature without resorting to digging up plants in the wild, which is not allowed in most states.

But you bring up something interesting nonetheless - how are native plants made available to the masses?

TC
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #7740262

I just got lucky and am receiving some young seedlings in a plant trade. I will ask the sender how she sowed hers. What I was wondering is if this plant grows and multiplies in the wild, perhaps winter sowing is the way to go. Or you could stratify the seeds by refrigerating them for a while and then planting them where they would have warmth, such as outside in the late spring and summer.

I just bought some Penstemon seeds and the directions from the seed company told me to do exactly what I mentioned above. Lots of perennials get better germination from winter sowing or stratification.

Linda

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Perennial Plant Association selects Baptisia australis as the 2010 Perennial of the Year Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
'minim' carrielamont 3 Apr 25, 2010 6:06 PM
difficult to move! purplefinch 2 Apr 26, 2010 6:13 PM
Long Lived? At least 12 years! devonrose 1 Apr 26, 2010 3:13 PM
Love this plant! starcat 0 Apr 26, 2010 7:31 AM
Baptisia australis Hypatia10 4 Aug 2, 2010 7:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America