Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Rabbit YUMM

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 11, Views: 276
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2010
10:41 AM

Post #7735647

The freezer in the garage started acting up, running at 0 next day 10 then back to 0 up to 20...
So I didn't want to loose my food which included about 30lb of rabbit we raised.
So the last 2 days I've been cooking, de-boneing and canning Rabbit.
This is what I got, 8qts of meat and 9qts of stock. And only 1 qt of stock did not seal, I'm getting better. ^:-)^

Thumbnail by rentman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7762827

Hey, that looks pretty good! I canned a goat once even though it sounds weird.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #7763256

Yumm, Goat
I would like a goat to kep my yard trimmed...^:-)^...
I only have rabbits, two does and Adam the buck, I have them named so I can call them my pets but I don't name the bunnies.
This was taken Dec 08 before I put names on the cages, Adam on right, Mary on the left and soon to be 'Freezer Bunnies' in the center.
The Poo really helps in the garden.

Thumbnail by rentman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

christmascactus

June 17, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #7896636

Oh, my goodness :(
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2010
6:26 AM

Post #7902160

your canned rabbit looks great, I think it would taste good canned like that, i'm not a big rabbit fan, but that does look good
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2010
7:49 AM

Post #7902374

She was a good mother, Eve, but as she got older she got an ear infection that I could mot clear up, tried everything.
Adam also got it, but I built a box I can put the rabbit in while I treat him, about every month, he's hanging in.
None of the other rabbits get it, which makes me happy.
Polyacre
Rapid City, SD
(Zone 4b)

July 17, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #7975341

Yum !! We used to go rabbit hunting all the time as kids.. Took them home and us kids had to clean them but mom cooked them..

Tastes like chicken !!
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #7976299

Yes I went with my Dad hunting rabbits, at night. :-)
My wife makes Rabbit ala King with canned rabbit and uses the broth to cook rice instead of water.
Tomorrow I sharpen my knife and put 6 teenagers in the freezer.
nd their Poo goes in the garden.

Dwight
RxAngel
Stratford, TX
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2010
3:43 PM

Post #8078850

Ok, so I've been browsing past this post for many days, and I cannot get the image out of my head of the entire rabbit, complete, in jars. My mental image gives me a chuckle everytime I visit this forum, so I just finally decided I had to share!

Silly, yes, I know, but I just can't control my imagination sometimes!

Angie
saanansandy
Sue, RI
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8746701

I actually like rabbit better than chicken. We've raised them for years for their meat and their poo as well. We are looking for a new buck at the moment. There a few breeders around our area so I'm hopeful on getting a teenager instead of an 8-week old.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2011
1:05 PM

Post #8746860

Angie, you may be able to get one in a 1/2 gal jar... I cut them up, cook the parts, let it cool the remove the meat from the bones and that's is what goes into the Qt jars, Must process 90 min at 10 lbs. I do chicken parts the same way.

Sandy I need to replace my 'breeders' and it is hard to find stock that are ready to breed.
I'm going to the KY state fair in a week and maybe I can find 2 does and a buck. The three will keep me going for a couple more years.

The poo can be put straight into the garden, works wonders, I also make a poo tea and water the plants.

Dwight
saanansandy
Sue, RI
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8747509

Hope you find some nice stock at the fair. We've gotten some nice goats from our local fair-great resource. Haven't thought about checking it out for the rabbits; I'll have to check ours out (which is good timing, ours starts tomorrow through Sunday!

Your so right on the poo! We started a new garden area this past spring and all we did is add lime (ph was off already-did not add because of the bunny poo) and two 55 gallon drumfulls of lovely poo. It has produced like gangbusters. And earthworms LOVE it! So anyone raising worms take note!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America