Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Any ideas about this weed that masquerades as a strawberry plant?

Thumbnail by KyWoods
Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

This message was edited May 30, 2010 1:07 PM

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, it can't be cinquefoil as it only has three leaves (not five) but it does appear to be some type of Potentilla. Post pics after it blooms to have a better chance at getting an ID.

Memphis, TN

Could it be Indian Strawberry (Duchesnea indica)?

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

From Wikipedia:

"Typical cinquefoils look most similar to the strawberries, but differ in usually having dry, inedible fruit (hence the name "barren strawberry" for some species). Many cinquefoil species have leaves divided into five leaflets arranged palmately like the fingers of a hand. Some species, such as the Barren Strawberry, have just three leaflets, and others (e.g. P. anserina) up to 15 or more leaflets arranged pinnately."

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Probably Duchesnea indica, as HelloMissMary suggested:
http://www.missouriplants.com/Whitealt/Geum_canadense_page.html

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

I think I remember of it making yellow flowers, but I'm not sure. We have a bazillion weeds and wildflowers here.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

This message was edited May 30, 2010 1:08 PM

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Looks exactly like it, thanks! Thanks to everyone for your help!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Tomorrow I had planned to take a photo and post an inquiry about a mystery plant that is gowing in my flower box. It turns out to be the same kind of plant that KyWoods has. What a conincidence! The cinquefoil fairies must have had a busy time planting this spring. ;-)

Boston, MA

I have this in my garden this year too. I was going to ask about it here. I have this everywhere in my small community garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.