-
AuthorContent
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7736959

While I was off This weekend, our hot water heater broke, Saturday morning, and Danny worked on getting the water vacuumed up half the day, no fans on it though, i came home sat night, and This morning we put a fan on it all day long and opened up the house, now that the house is closed up, fan's still going, The musty smell is more than I can bare, and I don't know what to do about it.

I can't shampoo untill after they fix the water heater tomorrow, but I'm not even sure that shampooing the carpet in that area will remove the musty smell.

WE have a good vacuum/shampoo system it's a hyla and removes alot of the water, in fact I thought it was dry but I stepped on it this morning and it was still damp, I put baking soda all over it and it got damp while it was sitting there.

I do not want to remove the car pet if I don't have to. Thinking of something that I might be able to inject into the carpet to remove the smell. Sometimes the carpet cleaning people do this.

any other ideas of what I can do? it's aweful!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2010
8:01 PM

Post #7737119

Have you tried Frebreze? Maybe pouring some on the carpet.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2010
9:05 PM

Post #7737311

Kathy Ann,

Have you checked your insurance to see if it is covered? If it is I would turn it over to the insurance company and let them worry about it. However, if you are not sure you will want to turn it in to your insurance then do not call them as it will be on there even if you decide not to have them pay for it.

But, if the cost is going to be a lot, I would have them fix it.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2010
9:15 PM

Post #7737332

haven't tried fabreeze yet, calling the insurance co tomorrow, but danny can do all the work himself. the plumber is coming out tomorrow, we think the water heater is still under warranty. but we'll know tomorrow i'll know more after I call the insurance company, I don't want to pull the carpet back unless we can have it put back the way it was, don't want to pay for that, is why i'll call the insurance company .
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2010
9:39 PM

Post #7737372

How much is your deductible? Most have $500 at the least. If it is going to cost under, near, or just over that, you shouldn't be calling the insurance company. Is that Danny's business to do that? The insurance company probably will not pay him the going rate if he isn't, and will argue about it.

Years ago I lost a greenhouse due to a storm. I made up a bill of $700 for materials and with myself and another claiming minimum wages as labor. The insurance company said we were not professionals so they didn't want to pay us for our labor. I called my agent. He told me to go buy a greenhouse and send them the bill. So I did. $1400. They paid it without a word.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2010
9:42 PM

Post #7737381

What I am saying is that they will probably raise your premiums even if you decide not to have them pay for it. I am just saying to have your ducks in order before you call them.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2010
4:54 AM

Post #7737767

I'm going to be checking on that, i'm not sure what the deductable is, last time we used the insurace because my husband drove his truck through the back of the shop, they didn't make us pay any deductable probably cause he did the repair, and when they replaced the ac we didn't pay anything either.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #7738087

Also, I don't know about here, but in CA a simple phone call to your homeowners insurance will put a negative ding on your credit report.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7738204

I wonder if "time" will eventually help the smell. I don't know --- you know me, I'd just rip up the carpet and live on the concrete. You could always stain the concrete too. Guess that is if you are on a slab. Seems everytime you are away KA - you come home to some kind of disaster. Weren't you away when your greenhouse barn burned down ? I'm surprised Danny will let you go anywhere. lol.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 26, 2010
12:19 PM

Post #7739167

Kathy - did the baking soda not help with the odor??? You can buy it in those huge boxes, sprinkle it over the carpet and let it set for a while then vaccuum up... we did that once in a rent house where there was an awful smell. IT took a while, but it did work.

Good luck on your cleanup!

Genna
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2010
12:40 PM

Post #7739220

I've never heard of a call to your insurance putting any kind of bad reflection on your credit report. that's weird.

I do have a 500 deductable, so we'll probably fix it our selves.

I called someone who's a professional and danny is bringing stuff home to prevent mold and get rid of the smell. Stuff the professionals use, and he does have to lift the carpet some how and stick a fan under there to dry out the concrete. house wasn't too bad today when i walked in, not as bad as it has been.

no baking soda didn't help at all. I do buyy baking soda by the huge box too LOL I think maybe cause the carpet was still damp, the baking soda kind of got wettish, or damp. i'll put more on it though, the guy is coming this afternoon to fix the water heater or replace it. I need to go put the beast up or we'll have a real mess on our hands ha .

I was headed out the door when the greenhouse was burnt down, went out to put wood in the stove before I left, and found it burnt to the ground. seems that way, doesn't it Bonnie.

Sometimes Danny just doesn't have a choice but to let me d o what I want to do LOL makes life easy for him. he he.

He's a good guy! good thing too LOL
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #7739658

Guess that is what I was trying to say. That just calling the insurance company puts a "ding" on your record. I have heard it happens.
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #7739704

I bet the pad under the carpet is still soaked.

You just may need the insurance company to pay for new carpeting.

Never heard of a phone call damaging your credit. If it did I would fight it with the credit bureas. Sounds like an illegal thing to do.

MollyD
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #7739732

I didn't mean the credit. Your insurance record. I have heard of it. True or not? I don't know.
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #7740218

well they would certainly keep a record of your call if they were any kind of a responsible business company but that wouldn't affect your rates at all unless you filed a claim.

MollyD
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #7740310

She did tell me she'd put a note in the file just in case we filed a claim.

WEird thing , WE got our new water heater in late tonight and then I left to go walking and when I got back home, the smell was almost completely gone, I asked Danny what he did, he said it might have been the water heater that smelled like that.

If the smell is gone tomorrow, I'm not goin g to let danny pull that carpet up. I'll just shampoo it , he brought home some chemicals to put into the shampoo water that helps eliminate odors also. Now to find the time to shampoo the carpet in there, cause if i'm going to do the hall way, it will look weird all clean and the rest of the carpet is a different color ha!

I got down on my knees and smelled the carpet yesterday and I couldn't smell anything odd about it, was thinking where in the world is all the smell coming from, maybe it was the heater.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7740362

Kathy Ann, please figure it was the heater and put it out of your mind. Move on to other things. You will soon know whether it was or not.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7740406

I bet it was the water heater!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #7740460

I hope so LOL, I'll try to close my eyes too when I walk down the hall way and see that nasty humungous spot on my floor that's driving me nuts till I get it shampooed LOL
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 27, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #7741543

You will want to make sure it is dry - even if you have to pull the carpet back to make sure the pad dries completely, Otherwise, it will end up mildewing and then you will really have a mess...

Glad to hear the smell might have been the heater...

Genna
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #7742735

I know, I think i've decided against pulling the carpet back, we're gonna have to cut it to pull it up, the smell is getting better, ran the fan all day today. I hope the carpet shampooer and the chemicals we got will clear out the rest of the smell. it's not near as bad as it was, and getting better . We also have chemicals to keep it from molding.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2010
3:21 PM

Post #7743026

Kathy, go ahead and file a claim and don't tell them Danny can do all the work. If there's a $500 deductible, they'll just take that from the claim they pay. So if they'll pay $1000, they'll only give you $500. Also, if something else happens later in the year, they'll consider that you've already met your deductible, so you won't have one later on.

My mom's water heater broke last year and flooded the guest bedroom and got the baseboard wet. The insurance paid something like $1200 if I remember correctly. My brothers did all the work themselves. They even took up the carpet and laid it outside to dry. They replaced the carpet pad and the water heater but reused the carpet.

And her insurance rates haven't gone up. I know because I pay all of her bills.

So file the claim, so you'll have at least met your deductible. But you may get a nice check to pay off a bill or buy some fancy plants. (Yes, I'm still enabling!)
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #7743794

My insurance is already $138 a month, This is such a small thing that we will probably just handle it ourselves. I can't afford for my insurance to go up , and last time we did file a claim it did go up. I need to shop around for some new insurance, but I hate to do that, and we've been with this company for many many years.

Smell is good tonight, was gone all night and only once in a while can I get a whiff of musty smell. I feel once I shampoo which I need to do the whole living room and hallway , it will smell alot nicer in here.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #7743831

138 a month seems awfuly high. I think you need to shop around Kathy. Phone calls don't cost anything.
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #7743845

How big a place do you have Kathy Ann? My place is 4.5 acres, house,barn and a large shed. I pay $651./yr with Farm Bureau.

MollyD
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #7743866

House, l0 acres, two story barn 40x?? huge shop, the shop has 50,000 of insurance on it though. it's bigger than the house is. that is why the insurance is so high. he specifically asked for that amount of insurance on his shop. so we PAY out the yang yang for insurance LOL

don't ask what yang yang is ;0)

and yes I should shop around, when I get the chance, I probably will.

and I should probably file a claim on the water heater too, the heater wasn't under warranty any more so that's about 3 to 400 right there. although I wouldn't hire a carpet cleaner to come in and do what I can do, I have a good shampooer.

If it doesn't rain it poors, Danny's tire had a huge slit in it, and they wouldn't fix it, and it costs $189 for a new tire. Good grief! his tires are way too high.

I'm a gripey mess , so I should probably go to bed. LOL
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2010
8:23 PM

Post #7743907

Go to bed Kathy, things will be better in the morning.
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
5:31 AM

Post #7744571

Hope you got some rest Kathy Ann. I know about troubles hitting all at once :-(

MollyD
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2010
5:35 AM

Post #7744579

Today is a new day-- hopefully a better one for you.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2010
5:47 AM

Post #7744620

We all use Farm Bureau here ourselves. Their insurance is cheap. Full coverage on my van is only $45/month. Don't remember off hand what insurance for a year for the house is, but I'm thinking somewhere around $200 a year. And they DON'T raise your insurance when you file a claim. You're definitely with the wrong ins. co.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 28, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #7744976

Home owners insurance varies a lot depending upon the area where you live particularly the fire protection level offered in your area. ... Ours is expensive because we are class 9... (volunteer FD only with limited equipment). Class 9 is expensive - and Farm Bureau is really one of the few companies that will insure class 9. When we lived in East Camden - we were class 7 and it made a LOT of difference in the rates. Still volunteer FD but with access to fire hydrants and better equipment. Several of the volunteer FD have really gone to work trying to upgrade their equipment with grants, etc and get their ratings lowered which saves the homeowners a LOT of money over time.

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7746096

I got off early today and shampooed my hallway and high traffic area in front of the door all the way to the kitchen,

I think I knocked the odor out but there is a ring coming back on the carpet in the hall way, I may have to shampoo again, I remember once way back, I shampooed the carpet and it stunk for days after wards. Danny said it was all the dirt I brought up to the top, a few vacuumings and one more shampoo and the smell was gone. so I may have to work at it a bit, but the carpet looks so nice now. I'm gonna have to do this more often ha!!

I think the fumes are making me goofy.

thanks everybody for all the suggestions.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 28, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #7746696

Yeah - those fumes are dangerous ... (one reason not to do it as often!) ^_^

So glad to hear that the smell is gone. It is no fun when our comfort zone doesn't smell good... :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America