Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Perennial Plant Association selects Baptisia australis as the 2010 Perennial of the Year: difficult to move!

Communities > Forums > Article: Perennial Plant Association selects Baptisia australis as the 2010 Perennial of the Year
bookmark
Forum: Article: Perennial Plant Association selects Baptisia australis as the 2010 Perennial of the YearReplies: 2, Views: 79
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
purplefinch
Lake Bluff, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2010
5:03 AM

Post #7737780

The one thing I learned about Baptisia is to plant it right where you want it the first time, allowing for growth. As a pretty novice gardener, I didn't know this --- I planted two that were too close together. Trying to dig one out after only a year was backbreaking! They have a large tap root that didn't want to go. Other than that it's certainly one of my favorites -- like you say, it pretty much takes care of itself and it's beautiful year-round. Thanks for the article!
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #7739875

Thanks for the tip purplefinch. If mine gets too crowded, I'll move other stuff out of its way.

TC
slcochran
Akron, OH

April 26, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #7740269

It's not really that difficult- you just need a very sharp spade and some weight. Of course, this is a very good chance to divide it inot 4 parts and let some friends enjoy this striking plant. I also have a white one. It's not nearly so vigorous, but it's doing very well and is very attractive also. The dry seed heads ("rattles") are worth the risk of seedlings in the spring.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Perennial Plant Association selects Baptisia australis as the 2010 Perennial of the Year Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
'minim' carrielamont 3 Apr 25, 2010 6:06 PM
Thanks for the reminder! Igrowinpa 7 Apr 26, 2010 6:10 PM
Long Lived? At least 12 years! devonrose 1 Apr 26, 2010 3:13 PM
Love this plant! starcat 0 Apr 26, 2010 7:31 AM
Baptisia australis Hypatia10 4 Aug 2, 2010 7:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America