Photo by Melody

Article: Perennial Plant Association selects Baptisia australis as the 2010 Perennial of the Year: Long Lived? At least 12 years!

Communities > Forums > Article: Perennial Plant Association selects Baptisia australis as the 2010 Perennial of the Year
bookmark
Forum: Article: Perennial Plant Association selects Baptisia australis as the 2010 Perennial of the YearReplies: 1, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
devonrose
Lewes, DE

April 26, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #7738052

Hello TC,

Enjoyed your article very much. I am sadly behind things this year and had no idea what plant had been picked for 2010.

I planted two Baptisia/False Indigo{Purple Smoke} about 12 years ago and last year the smallest one didn't appear. And the best one that had always been full; at least a dozen shoots would come up, only has two shoots this year. Also this plant never got more than two feet wide, unlike the three/four feet that it is supposed to reach. I didn't mind because the plant was still an awesomely beautiful sight every year. I loved how the grey green foliage continues to look nice long after the flowering is over. So even tho they are reputed to be very long lived, it would seem they may get tired at some point. I have ordered replacements because I can't imagine my garden without them!

I also have two of the white variety; Baptisia alba macrophyllya; and can attest to the problem of planting in a location of part shade. They didn't start blooming until almost three years after planting and have never reached the height they should. But they are blooming now and I don't want to risk losing them by moving to a sunny spot.

Thanks and happy gardening!
Devonrose
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2010
3:13 PM

Post #7739686

Thank you for reading my article Devonrose.

I suppose some perennials do peter out after many years. Sometimes you can help them make it a little longer by adding a good organic fertilizer twice a year. But you probably knew that. ;~)

I like the blue much better than the white, but both are perfect in any garden.

TC

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Perennial Plant Association selects Baptisia australis as the 2010 Perennial of the Year Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
'minim' carrielamont 3 Apr 25, 2010 6:06 PM
Thanks for the reminder! Igrowinpa 7 Apr 26, 2010 6:10 PM
difficult to move! purplefinch 2 Apr 26, 2010 6:13 PM
Love this plant! starcat 0 Apr 26, 2010 7:31 AM
Baptisia australis Hypatia10 4 Aug 2, 2010 7:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America