Photo by Melody

Article: Perennial Plant Association selects Baptisia australis as the 2010 Perennial of the Year: Baptisia australis

Communities > Forums > Article: Perennial Plant Association selects Baptisia australis as the 2010 Perennial of the Year
bookmark
Forum: Article: Perennial Plant Association selects Baptisia australis as the 2010 Perennial of the YearReplies: 4, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hypatia10
Santa Monica, CA

April 26, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #7738453

The vendors all seem to be in the East. Would this plant be suitable for Santa Monica California (So. Calif coastal). A mild Mediterranean climate, with rains limited to "winter" months (if at all!, lately!). If so, are there any vendors out here? If not, would it ship OK from the East? Thank you.
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2010
3:08 PM

Post #7739669

Hello Hypatia,

Here's a vendor in NM: http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/24570/

The AHS A-Z encyclopedia has baptisia australis listed for hardiness zones 3-9.
kmm44
Dayton, OH

April 29, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #7747647

I love blue plants and had been trying to find this for over a year. Last week I joined a garden club and after our meeting we went on a tour of a famous local garden. They had had a plant sale the weekend before and we were invited to check out the left-overs. Among other things, I bought a nice baptisia in a 4-in pot for $5. I've planted it in a space where I used to have a butterfly bush that died over the winter. It has plenty of room to expand and is the focal point of the large bed of other perennials of many colors. I hope it does well.
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2010
3:08 PM

Post #7749209

It should do good. They're a native plant to our area (which would also be Dayton, OH) and most all native plants are pretty much "do-nothing" plants - plant them and do nothing more, they practically grow themselves. Take notes on your plant's progress kmm44, the only concern I have is why the butterfly bush died?

TC
Hypatia10
Santa Monica, CA

August 2, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #8012961

Hey, thanks for all replies. Shows you how far behind I am on email & stuff. I will check out that New Mexico vendor. Apologies for delayed reply. :(

As concerns butterfly bush, I wish yours a peaceful repose in the plant after-life, but I had to take mine out because it was getting so aggressive.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Perennial Plant Association selects Baptisia australis as the 2010 Perennial of the Year Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
'minim' carrielamont 3 Apr 25, 2010 6:06 PM
Thanks for the reminder! Igrowinpa 7 Apr 26, 2010 6:10 PM
difficult to move! purplefinch 2 Apr 26, 2010 6:13 PM
Long Lived? At least 12 years! devonrose 1 Apr 26, 2010 3:13 PM
Love this plant! starcat 0 Apr 26, 2010 7:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America