and even more Chit Chat #2

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1085977/#new

Karen has photos of some of her purchases at the MG sale on the previous thread. Be sure to go back there and take a look at them. Karen you made some great buys and got some really good bargains, too. Good job on your new tippy pot plant stand! They are so much fun to make.

This is my tippy pot plant stand after just being planted for two weeks. The flowers are already growing and filling out. The whole thing weathered the storms over the week-end in fine form. It didn't fall over, the dirt didn't wash out of the pots and the flowers have re-bounded after being beaten up somewhat by the rain. I took this photo this morning.

Thumbnail by marsue
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Wow - they are really growing and looking good! Amazing how much they have filled in. I still haven't located any pots. Our local wal-mart has the brightly colored blue and red and a white, but they are small pots (maybe similar to what would be called a pint? The only large pot they had was in white - no medium (qt size) pots except 1 blue......
:( They have had them every year for several years past - but since we have gotten our "super" walmart our selection has been pitiful on everything! I would have preferred they left out the groceries and kept a decent selection on everything else. I have other sources for groceries - but not all the other stuff I need!! If I don't find them soon, I will have to do something else with the few plants I have bought to go in them!

Genna

(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna I got mine as a set at Garden Ridge - they are about $30 for the set and that is not a bad price but I was in there sometime in the fall and they were on clearance so I think I paid maybe $10 or less for the whole set. I am definitely going to watch for them to put that stuff on clearance this year. I also got about 6 or 7 of these vine trellises or whatever you want to call them - the smaller ones were $1 or $2 and the larger ones were $5 I think - they are $15-25 regular price and I love the way these look all covered in vines.

This message was edited Apr 27, 2010 3:43 AM

Thumbnail by kjuddy

Here's one of those vine thingy's all covered with my President clematis - I used to have this on a big ole trellis made of lattice but it always just looked puny - never covered the wood etc. I have never cut it back to the ground because they are supposed to bloom on old wood and new wood but this year I whacked it all the way down in Feb and it came back like never before - even a clematis knows there is no fury like a woman scorned. I love the way it looks now just like a big bush I am waiting patiently for it to bloom.

Marilyn even my hubby (who couldn't care less about gardening) was impressed with my work on that plant stand:)

This message was edited Apr 27, 2010 3:44 AM

Thumbnail by kjuddy

Hey Charlotte how did your winter sowing attempt turn out? I did winter sowing for the first time this year and I've had pretty good success. I actually used some of my plants (dianthus I believe) in my pots so I'm anxious to see whether they live after transplanting. The only thing that hasn't sprouted were my impatients - they've only been there a couple of weeks so I haven't given up but I'm gonna be sad if at least a few don't sprout. I have 8-10 jugs out there on the porch and a couple of weeks ago my son brought his 3 girls out (they are 5 and 3and 3) - they wanted to go up on the top deck and I said no because there was too much to get into. My son said "Yeah I didn't realize Gran was cooking meth back here" I said don't tell them that they'll be telling the teacher at school and who knows what will happen:) Crazy boy I know he was teasing but you know how kids repeat everything we say - so if you read about me in the news I'm innocent!

Well of cooking meth anyway - now some other stuff like buying unnecessary plant life is another story

This message was edited Apr 26, 2010 9:39 PM

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Karen, the pots on my tippy pot stand in the photo above came from Garden Ridge, too. I won them as a door prize at Kim's last fall. The label on the largest pot said Garden Ridge. $10.00 would certainly be a bargain for 5 pots! It would be worth a trip to Garden Ridge to get a couple of sets of those. If you find them on sale again, Karen, please let me know. They are even a bargain at $30.00! Have y'all checked the prices on just plain terra cotta pots at Wal-Mart lately??!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I agree..... I would be willing to drive to LR for some 10 dollar sets for sure!

I have to make a trip to Jonesboro today.... not looking forward to the long drive there and back, but I am taking Kyle to a pole vault lesson to TRY to help him break beyond where he is now - a height we have been stuck at for the past year. He has qualified for the state meet, but placed second in district last saturday. He should have won. So, we are going to this class, hoping that it will help having someone different try to help him. The state meet is on Thursday. Any interesting nurseries up in that area? I will be traveling to Newport and then over to Jonesboro..... won't go all the way into town though. Picking up some plants would surely make the trip more fun.

Marilyn...... I will wave again as I fly by...... ^_^

Genna

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

By the way, anyone know what time Garden Ridge closes?? I might swing by there on my way home ........ I really want to make my tippy stand!

Genna

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

9 pm today. until 10 on friday and saturday. 7 on sunday.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Karen, from the previous thread and this one you have some beautiful blooms. Love your tipsy pots. You did get a great deal on those.

I forgot to ask...does anyone know what this small tree is? I saw it blooming against the edge of the woods yesterday. We've been here 10 years and this is the first time I've seen blooms on it.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

Here is a close-up of one of the blooms.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I saw Marilyn's tipsy stands in person yesterday and the pictures don't do them justice. They are really, really cute! Both are totally different. The one with the bright colored buckets looks perfect in the spot she has it.

Jeri, I believe you, Mary, Mary and Lisa...I may be leaving out a few names...gave me money at the RU, to buy something for my garden. Well, here it is! Isn't perfect for a duckmother?! It will always remind me of y'all and the wonderful fall ARRU. Thank you!

This message was edited Apr 27, 2010 12:15 PM

Thumbnail by duckmother

Charlotte, I believe you gave me the dead nettle. There is a new plant in the middle of it...have any ideas?

Thumbnail by duckmother

There may be a bloom. (I will take a picture of it, if it blooms) Does anyone have a guess?

Thumbnail by duckmother
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I gave you the dead nettle but I'm not sure what the plant is???LOL No telling. I just dug up a bunch of dead nettle - do you need any more?

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Kim the duck is precious! Is that one that you got this past weekend?

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Kim that is so nice and sweet! I love it!!

Maybe, someone else can help with ID, Charlotte.

Genna, yes, I got it this weekend. Melody was going to bring two for me but was unable to come due to the weather...I just happened to find this one and one other little baby duck. They are pretty hard for me to find.

I think so, too, Crissy ;o)

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

That is perfect for a duckmother, Kim! :o))

thank you, Charlotte, for the compliments on my tipsy pots! Could Kim's mystery plant be pachysandra?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Nope wrong leaf for pachysandra. I'll look around where I have dead nettle and see if I have anything that looks like it. Like Kim just putting a new load in the washing machine. Back outside!!

Not pachysandra...I have that all over but not there ;o) We will see if it blooms.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Not a hellebore is it? The leaf looks too soft.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Is that an arum?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

If I had any arum in my beds last Oct. I didn't know it. I went on a garden tour late the afternoon and she had tons of arum and a lot of hers was blooming. Huge blooms. Her stuff was so healthy and so much was already in bloom. She has about 130 rose bushes and they were really healthy with no disease on the leafs. She has propagated 50 of them. She said she uses a systematic and also puts Epsom salt around them - that is the roses. She starts fertilizing all her plants in Jan. She fertilizes in Jan and Feb with something I don't remember and then starts using 13-13-13 about now. I think I'm going to buy some 13-13-13 and sprinkle on everything.

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Charlotte, I meant to dig some arum up for you and bring it Saturday. I will try to remember to do that.

Elaine - that is odd - I don't have a clue on that tree. Have you posted it over on the tree forum ? Maybe they would know.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Bonnie! Kathy Ann gave me some she dug up for me.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Charlotte, that is probably the Green dragon arum I gave you. it's more of a cobra lily.

I also hav eanother one that looks like that, the leaves might be diff, I 'll take a pic tomrorrow after work and we'll see if it's one or the other of the two. will get names too.

Karen did you get that last post on the other thread about your columbine, it's woodside gold columbine that I gave you and the omaha gold is a salvia. which is hardy to zone 7 and I'm so very happy to see my omaha gold coming back this year, I thought it was a gonner.

I'm going to go blow up Elaine's pic so i can see if I know what it is.

thanks for the new thread

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Sorry, I don't know what you have there. Kind of reminds me of Bonnie's lace cap viburnum. but not sure. but if Bonnie doesn't know, then I guess it's not that same plant LOL

you should post on the id forum Elaine. it's pretty. probably some viburnum. does it put off any kind of seed pod ? my blue muffin viburnum has a flower like that and it stinks so bad, I almost want to chop it down. till the berries come around. which by the way don't get that many of because I have two blue muffins and no other viburnums but I do get some berries.

One of my cobra lilies is a pinellia it's named, and I'll have to g o look at it, but I don't think it has that same leaf as your arum does Charlotte. I think I dug the ones you have in your photo up from the deer camp, cause mine look just like that. they look like the green dragon arum

http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/arisaemadrac.html

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I have to go take a pic of my stacked pot arrangement to see if it's grown any. I didn't get to go out to the flower beds at all today :0(

I'm pooped, and goin g to bed. Night all.

Have a big day tomorrow, there's a whole lot of nothing up there at work for me to do, but 5 min after I get in the door, there will be 5 hrs of work as usual.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Yes Kathy Ann that looks like what you gave me. Also the photo on the left of the tall sprig looks like the plant that is growing out of the dead nettle I gave Kim. Except I didn't have any arum in my yard that I know of when I gave the dead nettle to Kim.????

Charlotte if you have extra dead nettle I'd love a few sprigs of it - I used to have it in my shade beds on the west side of the house and then when the 100 year old oak died from the lightning strike there was no more shade and it died out. Are you ready for me to come get that obideient plant you were getting rid of?

Marilyn I think Janie P. brought your pots to the RU she went with me that day and bought them at Garden Ridge - they were a great deal. I wish I had bought far more than I did but you know how at the time you think what will I do with all these pots? And then spring comes and you need even more of them.

Kathy Ann you are right - I of course tried to post that name from memory which was crazy since I no longer have one. I should have known to go out there and look at the tag. I'm so excited I can't wait to see it bloom.

I came home on time from work today so I could unload a truckload of compost. My dad was sweet enough to go to the LR landfill and get a load for me this morning. I really could use one more load but I think I'm done for this year. NEXT year I'll start with the few beds that didn't get any this time. I still need to lay mulch and I really need to get started if I intend to ever get done with that. BTW until May 15th it is only $15.00 per load out there so if you need compost or mulch you might try them first

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Charlotte - do you know how much epsom salts that lady puts around her roses? This is my first year with roses so I really don't know what I am doing. Well I did have a yellow knock out last year but this year I have new 4 bushes.

Kim - love that duck!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, they can grow from the wild, maybe a seed charlotte. I pulled mine from the wild

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Karen I have plenty of dead nettle I can give you. I have the obedient plant potted up also. So whenever you want to come get it let me know. I'm going to be in and out a lot this week. Also a little later on I will have extra impatience if yours don't come up. I don't plant any seed mine just reseed naturally every year. I picked tons and tons of seed pods last year trying to cut down on the number that come back up but they are coming up in every bed and every pot that was sitting out last year. They are super easy to transplant. I just pull them up and pot up and they never miss a beat. They are too small to transplant now, they need to get big before I do that.

Kathy Ann I do have a lot of strange stuff come up in the yard from the birds and squirrels. They probably brought that plant in.

Jacksonville, AR

Charlotte-I have the same question regarding the Epson Salts. Love roses, but have a terrible time with black spot. One I "thought" I had dug up last year-because it always got so ugly with black spot, has came back to life. I also planted out the impatience that I winter sowed from the seeds you gave us at the fall lunch. Hope I didnt plant them to soon.

Marilyn-I am glad you are enjoying those pots.

Kathy Ann-I have (2) penestemon from you. They are in an area that will get watered with a soaker hose, I read that these plants can be used in areas that get little water (out west). Should I move them, will they drown?

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the pots, Janie. I didn't know till now who had brought them to Kim';s RU. I wish I had another set or two of those pots! One of my good friends is having a birthday on May 25th and she wants me to make her one of the tippy pot plant stands. I wonder if Garden Ridge has them on sale right now? They are just the perfect pots to use for making one of those plant stands!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I had hoped to make it by Garden Ridge last night - but after our delay we didn't have time..... if you get by there and find them on sale, please let me know I might make a run to LR this weekend..... not sure yet...I need to get started on some graduation gifts - it will be here before I know it !

Genna

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I doubt that I will be going by there, Genna, because the Garden Ridge store in Little Rock is more than 30 miles from me, one way. I don't want to make a special trip down there just to see if they have those pots on sale. :o))

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.