Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-South Gardening: and even more Chit Chat #2

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 205, Views: 962
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #7738560

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1085977/#new

Karen has photos of some of her purchases at the MG sale on the previous thread. Be sure to go back there and take a look at them. Karen you made some great buys and got some really good bargains, too. Good job on your new tippy pot plant stand! They are so much fun to make.

This is my tippy pot plant stand after just being planted for two weeks. The flowers are already growing and filling out. The whole thing weathered the storms over the week-end in fine form. It didn't fall over, the dirt didn't wash out of the pots and the flowers have re-bounded after being beaten up somewhat by the rain. I took this photo this morning.

Thumbnail by marsue
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 26, 2010
10:17 AM

Post #7738858

Wow - they are really growing and looking good! Amazing how much they have filled in. I still haven't located any pots. Our local wal-mart has the brightly colored blue and red and a white, but they are small pots (maybe similar to what would be called a pint? The only large pot they had was in white - no medium (qt size) pots except 1 blue...
:( They have had them every year for several years past - but since we have gotten our "super" walmart our selection has been pitiful on everything! I would have preferred they left out the groceries and kept a decent selection on everything else. I have other sources for groceries - but not all the other stuff I need!! If I don't find them soon, I will have to do something else with the few plants I have bought to go in them!

Genna
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #7740490

Genna I got mine as a set at Garden Ridge - they are about $30 for the set and that is not a bad price but I was in there sometime in the fall and they were on clearance so I think I paid maybe $10 or less for the whole set. I am definitely going to watch for them to put that stuff on clearance this year. I also got about 6 or 7 of these vine trellises or whatever you want to call them - the smaller ones were $1 or $2 and the larger ones were $5 I think - they are $15-25 regular price and I love the way these look all covered in vines.

This message was edited Apr 27, 2010 3:43 AM

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #7740512

Here's one of those vine thingy's all covered with my President clematis - I used to have this on a big ole trellis made of lattice but it always just looked puny - never covered the wood etc. I have never cut it back to the ground because they are supposed to bloom on old wood and new wood but this year I whacked it all the way down in Feb and it came back like never before - even a clematis knows there is no fury like a woman scorned. I love the way it looks now just like a big bush I am waiting patiently for it to bloom.

Marilyn even my hubby (who couldn't care less about gardening) was impressed with my work on that plant stand:)

This message was edited Apr 27, 2010 3:44 AM

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #7740570

Hey Charlotte how did your winter sowing attempt turn out? I did winter sowing for the first time this year and I've had pretty good success. I actually used some of my plants (dianthus I believe) in my pots so I'm anxious to see whether they live after transplanting. The only thing that hasn't sprouted were my impatients - they've only been there a couple of weeks so I haven't given up but I'm gonna be sad if at least a few don't sprout. I have 8-10 jugs out there on the porch and a couple of weeks ago my son brought his 3 girls out (they are 5 and 3and 3) - they wanted to go up on the top deck and I said no because there was too much to get into. My son said "Yeah I didn't realize Gran was cooking meth back here" I said don't tell them that they'll be telling the teacher at school and who knows what will happen:) Crazy boy I know he was teasing but you know how kids repeat everything we say - so if you read about me in the news I'm innocent!

Well of cooking meth anyway - now some other stuff like buying unnecessary plant life is another story

This message was edited Apr 26, 2010 9:39 PM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2010
5:07 AM

Post #7741302

Karen, the pots on my tippy pot stand in the photo above came from Garden Ridge, too. I won them as a door prize at Kim's last fall. The label on the largest pot said Garden Ridge. $10.00 would certainly be a bargain for 5 pots! It would be worth a trip to Garden Ridge to get a couple of sets of those. If you find them on sale again, Karen, please let me know. They are even a bargain at $30.00! Have y'all checked the prices on just plain terra cotta pots at Wal-Mart lately??!
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 27, 2010
6:26 AM

Post #7741532

I agree... I would be willing to drive to LR for some 10 dollar sets for sure!

I have to make a trip to Jonesboro today... not looking forward to the long drive there and back, but I am taking Kyle to a pole vault lesson to TRY to help him break beyond where he is now - a height we have been stuck at for the past year. He has qualified for the state meet, but placed second in district last saturday. He should have won. So, we are going to this class, hoping that it will help having someone different try to help him. The state meet is on Thursday. Any interesting nurseries up in that area? I will be traveling to Newport and then over to Jonesboro... won't go all the way into town though. Picking up some plants would surely make the trip more fun.

Marilyn... I will wave again as I fly by... :-)

Genna
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 27, 2010
6:27 AM

Post #7741535

By the way, anyone know what time Garden Ridge closes?? I might swing by there on my way home ... I really want to make my tippy stand!

Genna
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #7741556

9 pm today. until 10 on friday and saturday. 7 on sunday.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7741602

Karen, from the previous thread and this one you have some beautiful blooms. Love your tipsy pots. You did get a great deal on those.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #7741631

I forgot to ask...does anyone know what this small tree is? I saw it blooming against the edge of the woods yesterday. We've been here 10 years and this is the first time I've seen blooms on it.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2010
7:00 AM

Post #7741634

Here is a close-up of one of the blooms.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
7:48 AM

Post #7741804

I saw Marilyn's tipsy stands in person yesterday and the pictures don't do them justice. They are really, really cute! Both are totally different. The one with the bright colored buckets looks perfect in the spot she has it.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #7741975

Jeri, I believe you, Mary, Mary and Lisa...I may be leaving out a few names...gave me money at the RU, to buy something for my garden. Well, here it is! Isn't perfect for a duckmother?! It will always remind me of y'all and the wonderful fall ARRU. Thank you!

This message was edited Apr 27, 2010 12:15 PM

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #7741988

Charlotte, I believe you gave me the dead nettle. There is a new plant in the middle of it...have any ideas?

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
8:45 AM

Post #7741991

There may be a bloom. (I will take a picture of it, if it blooms) Does anyone have a guess?

Thumbnail by duckmother

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #7742024

I gave you the dead nettle but I'm not sure what the plant is???LOL No telling. I just dug up a bunch of dead nettle - do you need any more?
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 27, 2010
9:17 AM

Post #7742083

Kim the duck is precious! Is that one that you got this past weekend?
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
10:01 AM

Post #7742194

Kim that is so nice and sweet! I love it!!

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
11:18 AM

Post #7742438

Maybe, someone else can help with ID, Charlotte.

Genna, yes, I got it this weekend. Melody was going to bring two for me but was unable to come due to the weather...I just happened to find this one and one other little baby duck. They are pretty hard for me to find.

I think so, too, Crissy ;o)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2010
11:24 AM

Post #7742457

That is perfect for a duckmother, Kim! :o))

thank you, Charlotte, for the compliments on my tipsy pots! Could Kim's mystery plant be pachysandra?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
11:27 AM

Post #7742465

Nope wrong leaf for pachysandra. I'll look around where I have dead nettle and see if I have anything that looks like it. Like Kim just putting a new load in the washing machine. Back outside!!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7743540

Not pachysandra...I have that all over but not there ;o) We will see if it blooms.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7743651

Not a hellebore is it? The leaf looks too soft.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7743691

Is that an arum?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #7743736

If I had any arum in my beds last Oct. I didn't know it. I went on a garden tour late the afternoon and she had tons of arum and a lot of hers was blooming. Huge blooms. Her stuff was so healthy and so much was already in bloom. She has about 130 rose bushes and they were really healthy with no disease on the leafs. She has propagated 50 of them. She said she uses a systematic and also puts Epsom salt around them - that is the roses. She starts fertilizing all her plants in Jan. She fertilizes in Jan and Feb with something I don't remember and then starts using 13-13-13 about now. I think I'm going to buy some 13-13-13 and sprinkle on everything.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #7743839

Charlotte, I meant to dig some arum up for you and bring it Saturday. I will try to remember to do that.

Elaine - that is odd - I don't have a clue on that tree. Have you posted it over on the tree forum ? Maybe they would know.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7743860

Thanks Bonnie! Kathy Ann gave me some she dug up for me.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #7743889

Charlotte, that is probably the Green dragon arum I gave you. it's more of a cobra lily.

I also hav eanother one that looks like that, the leaves might be diff, I 'll take a pic tomrorrow after work and we'll see if it's one or the other of the two. will get names too.

Karen did you get that last post on the other thread about your columbine, it's woodside gold columbine that I gave you and the omaha gold is a salvia. which is hardy to zone 7 and I'm so very happy to see my omaha gold coming back this year, I thought it was a gonner.

I'm going to go blow up Elaine's pic so i can see if I know what it is.

thanks for the new thread
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #7743901

Sorry, I don't know what you have there. Kind of reminds me of Bonnie's lace cap viburnum. but not sure. but if Bonnie doesn't know, then I guess it's not that same plant LOL

you should post on the id forum Elaine. it's pretty. probably some viburnum. does it put off any kind of seed pod ? my blue muffin viburnum has a flower like that and it stinks so bad, I almost want to chop it down. till the berries come around. which by the way don't get that many of because I have two blue muffins and no other viburnums but I do get some berries.

One of my cobra lilies is a pinellia it's named, and I'll have to g o look at it, but I don't think it has that same leaf as your arum does Charlotte. I think I dug the ones you have in your photo up from the deer camp, cause mine look just like that. they look like the green dragon arum

http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/arisaemadrac.html

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7743910

I have to go take a pic of my stacked pot arrangement to see if it's grown any. I didn't get to go out to the flower beds at all today :0(

I'm pooped, and goin g to bed. Night all.

Have a big day tomorrow, there's a whole lot of nothing up there at work for me to do, but 5 min after I get in the door, there will be 5 hrs of work as usual.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7743919

Yes Kathy Ann that looks like what you gave me. Also the photo on the left of the tall sprig looks like the plant that is growing out of the dead nettle I gave Kim. Except I didn't have any arum in my yard that I know of when I gave the dead nettle to Kim.????
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #7744017

Charlotte if you have extra dead nettle I'd love a few sprigs of it - I used to have it in my shade beds on the west side of the house and then when the 100 year old oak died from the lightning strike there was no more shade and it died out. Are you ready for me to come get that obideient plant you were getting rid of?

Marilyn I think Janie P. brought your pots to the RU she went with me that day and bought them at Garden Ridge - they were a great deal. I wish I had bought far more than I did but you know how at the time you think what will I do with all these pots? And then spring comes and you need even more of them.

Kathy Ann you are right - I of course tried to post that name from memory which was crazy since I no longer have one. I should have known to go out there and look at the tag. I'm so excited I can't wait to see it bloom.

I came home on time from work today so I could unload a truckload of compost. My dad was sweet enough to go to the LR landfill and get a load for me this morning. I really could use one more load but I think I'm done for this year. NEXT year I'll start with the few beds that didn't get any this time. I still need to lay mulch and I really need to get started if I intend to ever get done with that. BTW until May 15th it is only $15.00 per load out there so if you need compost or mulch you might try them first
Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2010
9:17 PM

Post #7744068

Charlotte - do you know how much epsom salts that lady puts around her roses? This is my first year with roses so I really don't know what I am doing. Well I did have a yellow knock out last year but this year I have new 4 bushes.

Kim - love that duck!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #7744515

Well, they can grow from the wild, maybe a seed charlotte. I pulled mine from the wild

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
6:13 AM

Post #7744701

Karen I have plenty of dead nettle I can give you. I have the obedient plant potted up also. So whenever you want to come get it let me know. I'm going to be in and out a lot this week. Also a little later on I will have extra impatience if yours don't come up. I don't plant any seed mine just reseed naturally every year. I picked tons and tons of seed pods last year trying to cut down on the number that come back up but they are coming up in every bed and every pot that was sitting out last year. They are super easy to transplant. I just pull them up and pot up and they never miss a beat. They are too small to transplant now, they need to get big before I do that.

Kathy Ann I do have a lot of strange stuff come up in the yard from the birds and squirrels. They probably brought that plant in.
JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

April 28, 2010
8:06 AM

Post #7745000

Charlotte-I have the same question regarding the Epson Salts. Love roses, but have a terrible time with black spot. One I "thought" I had dug up last year-because it always got so ugly with black spot, has came back to life. I also planted out the impatience that I winter sowed from the seeds you gave us at the fall lunch. Hope I didnt plant them to soon.

Marilyn-I am glad you are enjoying those pots.

Kathy Ann-I have (2) penestemon from you. They are in an area that will get watered with a soaker hose, I read that these plants can be used in areas that get little water (out west). Should I move them, will they drown?

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #7745174

Thanks for the pots, Janie. I didn't know till now who had brought them to Kim';s RU. I wish I had another set or two of those pots! One of my good friends is having a birthday on May 25th and she wants me to make her one of the tippy pot plant stands. I wonder if Garden Ridge has them on sale right now? They are just the perfect pots to use for making one of those plant stands!
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 28, 2010
9:40 AM

Post #7745275

I had hoped to make it by Garden Ridge last night - but after our delay we didn't have time... if you get by there and find them on sale, please let me know I might make a run to LR this weekend... not sure yet...I need to get started on some graduation gifts - it will be here before I know it !

Genna
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #7745508

I doubt that I will be going by there, Genna, because the Garden Ridge store in Little Rock is more than 30 miles from me, one way. I don't want to make a special trip down there just to see if they have those pots on sale. :o))

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 28, 2010
11:16 AM

Post #7745535

I completely understand... I won't drive to LR just for that either - but I might get a list together and mark several things off at once. :) The last time we were in LR - our places to go list was longer than what we had time for... so I need to go back without so much "help" so I can hit the places I want to go! :)

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2010
12:00 PM

Post #7745611

Bonnie, thanks for the attempt at ID. I can't really tell if it's a small tree or a shrub. I was thinking about posting on the Plant ID forum today. Just thought ya'll might know. It's weird that I've never noticed it before until it bloomed. It's in shade so that may be why it hasn't bloomed before.
Kathy-Ann, I haven't noticed a seed pod before but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. The flowers don't have any scent that I could detect.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
3:02 PM

Post #7746106

Janie, those penstemons need full sun and I hardly never water them, you will probably loose them if you don't get them away from the soaker hose.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #7746147

Genna I would doubt the pots are on sale at Garden Ridge. I bought a set last year when I hear they were on sale but it was at the very end of the summer when they were closing out all of their garden stuff. I was by there a week or two ago and I didn't see anything on sale. They are just starting to sell garden pots for the season. I don't think you will find a really big markdown like that until late Aug or sept.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
3:59 PM

Post #7746239

Mystery solved! Arum. Thanks, KA. I think I will place it with the other arum...which is getting ready to bloom.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7746349

i took off work early today, and got so much done, I'm so thrilled.

Got half my carpets cleaned, or rather 3/4 still have the living room area in front of the couch, did the hall way and high traffic area, house smells great, no more musty smell. I'm so glad.

mowed the yard, fixed supper. going to play tennis .

took off tomorrow too, so I'll finish the carpet in the afternoon and plant all morning. I'm looking forward to it, have to make soap saturday morning.

Sometime soon, we're loading up the trailer and going to go cut some timber bamboo that's about 4 inch around. to make some trellis's and arbors with.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #7746364

I did take a few photos today, here's my stacked pot

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #7746369

A close view

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #7746371

Things are about to bloom all over the place out there, I'll probably be at Jeri's during the best time to take pics LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2010
6:02 PM

Post #7746582

Everything looks great, KA! Is that a red verbena in your stacked pot stand? It's a good thing you got the mowing done today--we are supposed to have 60-70% chance of rain on Friday and Saturday and on into Monday!

I am going to mow my yard tomorrow, too.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #7746603

I picked up another treasuire off the side of the street on my way home this afternoon. Someone had put out one of those stainless steel shelves. It has three deep shelves and one narrow one at the top. There is some space between the top deep shelf and the top narrow shelf with some grid work stuff behind it. The legs have some rust on them. I think I'm going to spray the whole thing a flat black and put it in front of the privacy fence next to my doors that are the entrance to my work area. It will be perfect to keep plants I have potted up and things that I'm trying to root.

I have really been busy today and I'm very tired tonight - don't remember which thread it was posted on but I'll ask more about the epsom salts on roses. But I do know it doesn't have anything to do with keeping roses from getting diseases. It is too help green up the plant and acts more like a fertilizer. The systematic is what will control disease. I have a lot of problems with spider mite and other stuff on my camellias and gardenias and I can really tell a huge difference when I use it. It is fairly expensive but you don't have to use it often. It is also much easier than trying to spray. I use Bayer Flower and Rose Systemic - it was in a blue container last year. I have used epsom salt on other plants. I used on my brugs last year. I used it about once a month and mixed some in a gallon of water and poured around the plant. I think about a 1/2 cup. I need to do some research to refresh my memory.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #7746642

Here is a link about epsom salts.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2364086_fertilize-garden-epsom-salts.html

It is 2 tablespoons to 1 gallon of water -NOT A HALF CUP!!!

Kathy Ann your planter looks great! Still haven't gotten mine planted yet - it's on the list!!
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2010
5:49 AM

Post #7747692

I just grab a bag of epson salts and walk around the beds sprinkling it around all my plants. I never measure anything like that and have used it for a fertilizer for about 4 years now. I do use the bayer 2 in 1 stuff for the roses, ozmocote for some things, and some kind of bloom booster for the daylilies. I am not consistent though with anything I do, so if something works, I'd never know why because I wouldn't be able to remember what I used. lol I tried to do right this year and fertilizer all my azaleas when my book told me to, and I'd go around the yard with the fertilizer, and by the time I got around to the other side of the house, I couldn't remember if I had done that side or not. Getting old is for the birds !!
Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #7747740

Thanks for the link Charlotte!

LOL @ Bonnie - thanks for the additional info
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
7:23 AM

Post #7747949

I might have to try that epsom salt, I've only used triple l3 in the beginning of spring when things first start popping out. two huge bags of it, should cover it LOL

that's it for me. usually Look at this ligularia and hosta !

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
7:34 AM

Post #7747984

Thanks for the info on Epsom salt! Nice pics!!
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #7748050

Which Lig is that one KA ? Love it.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
7:57 AM

Post #7748059

That one is othelo, I have some others looking really nice. I'll see if I can get some pics
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2010
8:01 AM

Post #7748074

I am just proud that all of mine survived for me. This is first year that I didn't lose any, so I added 1 I got from Homestead the other day.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
8:05 AM

Post #7748094

I got a couple of new ligularias coming from a coop.

and my chocolate wings rodgersia is just now showing itself, you have to look that one up bonnie, you'd love it. It's beautiful

Here are some of the others I have. I have a couple new tiny ones to I didn't get pics of

My petitsites hibridus Might take over the back yard if I don't watch it. we have 3 days of rain coming, and it just might like that rain.

This is the Argentea variegata, i dug up and stored in the winter, I hope it grows enough so I can leave part of it in the ground this winter to make sure it doesn't crash on me. I have a few ligularias i'm clearing out, their in 4 inch pots cause their zone 7 the sishi botan and the gigantea

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #7748098

Very nice lig, KA.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #7748102

Dark beauty Ligularia I just love thse plants, they die down for the most part in the middle of the summer and come back every spring

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
8:08 AM

Post #7748103

Ligularia aureo maculata

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
8:08 AM

Post #7748106

Britt marie crawford

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #7748107

Japonica This thing was a baby last year.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #7748109

oris fantasie

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #7748113

Ligularia palmitiloba

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
8:12 AM

Post #7748122

Wow! I did not know you had so many! Just lovely.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #7748128

I'm a pig you know. Just keeping up the reputation. ha!

I love the ligularia, I searched high and low for that first one . I can't remember the two new ones i'm getting, one is dragon something oranother.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #7748141

I just love this little guy, It's sitting at Bonnie's house, if you ever come across another bonnie, I'll buy it from you if you get it .

Was just sitting here and a tick started crawling up my hand. YIKES>

I've been on my knees outside, planting, about to go bck and finish. want to get things in the ground in my new bed before it rains again.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #7748143

And would you look at her bottle brush tree. I've got to find me some bottles so Danny can make me one . Love this, we have the REBARB too! already

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
8:21 AM

Post #7748162

KA, Lakewood Gardens sells those little guys. However, Bonnie can probably get it cheaper ;o)
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2010
8:52 AM

Post #7748269

KA - I got the little pot man at that 1st little nursery we stopped at in Hernando. When Kenny goes back - I'll tell him go pick you one up.

You need to have Danny go on and make your bottle tree so you/we will know just how many bottles you will need in case we find them.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
9:13 AM

Post #7748340

Ok, I'll get danny the picture, so he can make it for me.

I've got some jobs lined up for him LOL he's taking his trailer down to maumelle and getting a load of 3 to 4 inch round bamboo for me , and he's goin g to make me some yard stuff wtih it. He has a welder so he can make that bottle tree really easy. specially with that picture.

Tell kenny thank you ahead of time for me. LOL you'll probably need to save it for me, cause I don't want it to break in shipping, so if youcan hold on to it, put it up there next to your other one LOL but don't ship it ok, I always have bad luck shipping breakable stuff.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2010
9:15 AM

Post #7748343

I think that Japonica is the one I got at homestead the other day. Off to look up the chocolate wings.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2010
9:17 AM

Post #7748349

That is so weird. I bought something at Dan West yesterday that looks real similar. I will have to take a pic of it and see if you think it is the same thing.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #7748358

Someone asked me if that was red verbena in the stacked pot, yes it is but it's not the hardy homestead red. sure is standing out isn't it.

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
9:22 AM

Post #7748362

Someone asked me if that was red verbena in the stacked pot, yes it is but it's not the hardy homestead red. sure is standing out isn't it.

Danny is about to make some of these for some of my jacks, cause the voles are eating them. but mine will be square.

I think they ate my himalayan may apple also. http://davesgarden.com/products/market/view/8719/
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 29, 2010
9:26 AM

Post #7748369

Kathy Ann ... could you not make the pot guy as well??

Love the bottle tree...so colorful...

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #7748411

When I put up my bamboo across the back, I left some long branches that I could poke bottles on. Here is a close up to show what I'm talking about. Don't pay any attention to the dead bamboo leaves. I need to trim it all off below the top of the privacy fence.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #7748419

I also use my fence to display bottles. I just put long deck screws or long nails to hang them on.

Thumbnail by cperdue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #7748439

That's cute Charlotte. Love it, Got to ask though, are you drinking all that wine LOL

I suppose one could make that little guy but that flat piece of clay would be hard to duplicate.

I haven't yet made the big pot man that I want to make, I haven't had time either.

I have to get me some yard art!! I just love Bonnie's yard art.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
9:52 AM

Post #7748452

Yes some I have!!LOL The blue bottles I actually got at a dollar type store. I found them last summer. They had some awful drink in them that was turquoise blue. It was a dollar a bottle. You can't buy blue bottles for a dollar! So I bought all they had and poured the stuff down the drain!!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #7748601

That's a good idea, I'll have to look out for those type of bottles, I really like Bonnie's bottles, those long skinny ones were perfect for her tree, but I love your blue ones too.

That blue color is perfect.

I actually think I have everything planted now. except for one or two things.

I just received a trade in the mail so I'm off to stick them into the ground,

i've been outside since 8:00 this morning, f elt so good to take off work today and get all this done.

I planted a few things in the new bed on the side, which is going to be alot of shrubbery in there, I got my shrub coop plants in and I have 5 variegated azaleas i'm putting out there too.

Bonnie i've dug up some variegated petitsites and letting it go through shock for a while, but one of these days I"ll get it to you. Kim and I might have to come back over that way again sometime.

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #7748643

I went thru a stage when I'd go to the liquor store and try to figure out what wine came in the blue bottles. So, I'd ocassionally buy that, just to accumulate blue bottles. Hmmm - I think my DH moved those bottles in the attic. Got me wondering now. Maybe I need another bottle tree. lol. Does one need 4 bottle trees ?

Well, I certainly hope you come this way again !
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #7748693

Bonnie's little pot man is adorable! I wouldn't mind having one of those myself. I might try to make one. I noticed it uses 24 small pots for the arms and legs, a big pot for the tummy and another pot for the "hat" and another one for the head. You could use a lightweight stepping stone for the flat piece. It shouldn't be too hard to make---hopefully! LOL

I like the bottle tree, too. I don't see why you couldn't use a tree limb that has been cut off a tree or an old hallway coat tree. Of course, something made from wood would eventually rot but it would probably last a season or two. One of my neighbors threw out an old wooden spindle-type headboard and footboard for the trash people to pick up.
I almost went over there and got them to use as trellises but I changed my mind when I saw that they were wooden. At first I had thought it was an old iron bed which they had thrown out and my eyes lit up but when I walked down there to look at it, I was somewhat disappointed! After all, they could have had the decency to trash an iron bedstead! LOL

I got the yard mowed this morning in advance of the expected rain tomorrow.
I also got a package of plants from Sidney in FL. She sent me 4 coleus, two lofospermum wine red, and two flowering maples. I have everything planted now except for the maples. the flowering maples can be kept small--they are a house plant but you can put them outside in the summer as long as they are in part shade. Here's a link:
http://www.plantcare.com/encyclopedia/flowering-maple-1.aspx

I ran out of potting soil so I will have to make a run to KMart or HD this afternoon.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2010 1:16 PM
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #7748889

my hospital ward is growing.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #7748957

Well, at least you only have 1 hospital. I have 3.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
1:24 PM

Post #7748994

LOL I have 3 huge tables does that count? well actually the one in the back is strictly for the louisiana RU i've moved everything off it but those plants.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
1:54 PM

Post #7749053

KA, do you happen to have the Arum growing near the hosta Love Pat? The one you gave me died and I planted the dead nettle in its spot. It just may have come from you.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #7749117

not that I know of. love pat is in the front yard by the house, and I wish I could know where all the rest of the hostas are.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
11:22 PM

Post #7753371

I love the blue bottles, I would do that in my yard if Dave would let me but since we don't have a fence they would be scattered and he would not like that.

Yes, it's 1:30 in the morning and I am up because of these storms. I hope everyone here in AR is safe after all of those tornadoes, 79 tornado warning between 7pm and midnight, and there was a line of them just to the west of us, and just to the east of us, we were in the middle and I was having fits. I know there were a lot of people hit and a few deaths in Van Buren County. It's calmed down now, but they expect it to fire back up as soon as the sun comes up. The news reporter said he hasn't seen this many tornado warnings since 1999.

Anyway, I love your pics KA!! Those plants are so cool! I went to Lowes today at lunch and I could have bought the store, but I just said no.

You all have a safe night and be careful!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #7753839

Watching your weather I hope you are all safe. love ya Cindy
We are considered an 8 on the scale for possible tornadoes today.

This message was edited May 1, 2010 9:12 AM
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 1, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7753873

Last night was rough - and they are saying today may be worse... not looking like a good day. Jessica has a friend here from Dover (near Russellville) and her and her father will have to be traveling home today.

Hope everyone stays safe...

Cindy - I had wanted to go to David Roach's today... but guess I will stay home instead! :(

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
7:42 AM

Post #7753915

Crissy, we were up to...want to know why? not because of the storms but because my CRAZY husband decided to go fishing as soon as the threat of tornadoes passed! I did not even ask if he caught anything. He did call me and gave me a report on the ducks. There were actually some new ducks on the water...I am certain there were just stopping until the storms passed. I stayed up and listened to Ed Buckner on THV2.com and asked him which was the worst storm he had ever taken part. He said either March 1997 or March 1999 (I cannot remember now) because we had so many tornadoes and warnings that day. I would hate to be a weatherman during these terrible storms!! Upon inspection this morning, some of my plants got slammed but after a little TLC, they are okay.

Cindy, which supertunia did you get? Stay safe this afternoon!! I hope MS and TN do not get any of the nasty stuff today!

Charlotte, seems like it rains almost every year during the garden tours. I have not ever been nor have I ever worked it...just too close to my b-day and I never know what I may be doing ;o)
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #7753925

Yes I don't think this is a Nursery day. David usually closes and head to the camp on weekends like this.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #7753967

I got the same ones you did and I got one purple though to add to a pot. I needed some pink where I had started with some regular petunias and the bubblegums were on clearance. I hope I got enough extra to make some hanging baskets. The pots were on sale for $1.25.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #7753984

Oh darn, I meant to get some pots. I guess I will have to go back today!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #7754202

1997 was that really bad year that wiped out Arkadelphia and several other areas. I remember because my best friend lives in Arkadelphia and her shop was demolished with her in it. She had to be dug out by the National Guard. She was not hurt, but she was in shock for a couple of days. A lady that worked right across the street from her was killed. It was on a Sat afternoon.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #7754230

I think so, Charlotte.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
9:38 AM

Post #7754239

Yep it was 1997 and 26 people died in Arkansas that day, there were 16 tornadoes statewide. 15 of the fatalities were here in central Arkansas and I just remember that it seemed like the obitituaries would never end - I was working in SW Little Rock where they hit the hardest and we had several patients who lost parents and we knew several more of those who died. It was really an awful day here I hope we don't see a repeat of that this year for sure. I also would not want to be a weatherman on a night like last night - you can hear the pressure in their voices when they are reminding people to take cover in this town and that town - especially when the tornadoes are coming one right behind the other. Today appears to be going down the same path - YUCKO!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 1, 2010
10:13 AM

Post #7754304

the worst of it seems to just now be getting to us, we have had lots of rain, but no storms yet, but it is getting near.
Looks like Jackson TN got another pour down rain today too, I guess Rita had another river !
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
12:50 PM

Post #7754628

Seems as though Shelby County got 10 inches of rain this morning!! OMG I can't imagine!

Cindy, we're up to a 9 on the tornado chances now, it's bright and sunny outside and I'm already scared. I hope we don't see a repeat of that either, makes me want to move back to the west coast. I thought I was going to throw up last night and I'm kinda feeling that way now.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
12:55 PM

Post #7754640

Christine if you move back to the west coast then it will just be earthquakes!! Just can't escape mother nature!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2010
1:16 PM

Post #7754701

Hope everyone is surviving the storms ok. We haven't even had rain yet but it's coming. May have 4-5 days worth of rain from what I'm hearing. Happy May Day to all.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #7754747

Speaking of May Day, Elaine, you reminded me: this was my daddy's birthday--if he was alive he would be 103 today! Unfortunately, he died too young at age 58.

I have been outside cleaning up the mulch that the rain washed out of the EE bed. I then put an edging all around the bed. I have had the edging but haven't put it in because the ground has been too hard and I was waiting for it to rain to soften the ground. I got my wish! The edging is now hammered into the ground (I used a rubber mallet) so hopefully it will help keep the mulch in the flowerbed the next time the "flood" comes rushing across my back yard--which it does every time we have a hard rain. Whew! It was like a steam bath outside! The sun came out and I was wringing wet with sweat before I finished but that chore is now complete and I can check it off my "Marilyn-do" list. LOL I am trying to get all the major lawn/flower bed maintenance done before the weather gets too hot. I won't be able to get outside and work in the yard much once the temp gets up past 85F. I'm getting too old to sweat! LOLOL The next thing on my "to do" list is to buy some of that grass fertilizer/weed killer/preventative which I have seen advertised on TV. I can't remember the name of it but the commercials say it kills weeds in the lawn and fertilizers the grass and prevents the weeds from coming back for 6 months. Sounds too good to be true but I am going to give it a try anyway. My front lawn is nothing but weeds and they are slowly taking over the back lawn. The front lawn looks awful but at least the weeds are green! LOL
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #7754813

LOL, Marilyn, I know what you mean. It is really humid the last couple of days and I'll be done pulling weeds, etc when it gets much hotter. I'm waiting for this rain to soften up a couple of places I need to work on. The shasta daisies still need dividing as do a couple of other things. Lots of those little Elaine-do's and Round -TUIT's.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 1, 2010
2:11 PM

Post #7754852

I have a whole sack of those Round-Tuits. It keeps filling up faster than I can empty it! lol

Terrye
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
2:54 PM

Post #7754981

Rita just posted this on FB

Hey yall- Tennessee is in the middle of the worst flood in many years... We had to close today for the first time since the tornados 2 yrs ago., maybe tomorrow too... all greenhouses are flooded, Interstate 40 is closed, as is all side roads and hwys. Sink holes too. Please pray to Mother Nature to have a little mercy!!!

Seems to be pretty bad over that way
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7755104

I'll say! That is terrible!
KA, did you know that we are in a tornado watch and a flash flood watch too? If you are in White County, you are included in those watches.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #7755127

Gosh things are bad in TN and it sounds like we may be in for another round ourselves!!
Marilyn be sure to get a post emergence to put on your lawn. It is too late to put out a pre-emergence. Once the weeds are up you almost need to spot spray with a post emergence.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #7755179

I don't think spot spraying is going to help as the weeds are literally all over the lawn. It would be one very big spot! LOL That is why I want to find out what that product is that I saw on TV. The commercial showed them using it in a sprayer attached to the water hose which is what I will likely need to do. The only thing that worries me is that my flower beds would be affected by any "drift" from the spray. I guess I could cover the plants in the flower beds with sheets but I don't know if I have that many old sheets to use for something like that.

It does seem that we are going to have another round of storms tonight. :o((

The sun has been out most of the afternoon but it has gone behind a cloud. The sky is getting darker and things are starting to look somewhat ominous. I'm not looking forward to another night like last night. I was up till 12:30 a.m. this morning watching the weather on channel 11, which is way past my normal bedtime. Ed Buchner is saying right now that a dangerous situation is developing. :o((
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7755246

yes I know Marilyn, keeping fingers crossed that we don't have bad weather.

I found a last years picture of the back full sun flower garden and got the one from this spring, look how much it's grown since last year. especially the area that use to be the Greenhouse

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7755247

And here it is this spring, Long about the middle of may to the first couple weeks in June this area will be full of blooms.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7755262

Y'all pray for Genna and her family--the Camden area is under a tornado WARNING RIGHT NOW!

also, our friend Jean in Hot Springs Village--there is a tornado going over that area right now. I do not know how this will affect Chrissy. There are tornadoes popping up all over Arkansas right now. Several active warnings in effect!

This message was edited May 1, 2010 6:47 PM
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #7755481

Here we go again...round number 2!

Stay safe my dear DG family.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 1, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #7755531

It came VERY near us - and we saw what we thought was a funnel... but I haven't heard if it touched down or not. No damage here - we really haven't even had any rain to speak of!
It was so bizarre how dark it got when it wasn't nearly late enough to be getting dark - then it passed by and it got bright and sunshiney again... very strange. THEN, it got dark again as another cell moved in. We were outside watching things - and got tickled at the chickens - they didn't know whether to go to roost or not... :)

Hope everyone stays safe - it looks like another long and rough night!!

At least that one today we could SEE what was going on - makes me really nervous when they come thru like last night and you can't see what is going on.

Seems like more of AR is under warnings than is not !!!

BE SAFE...

Genna
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7755594

Praying you are all safe tonight.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7755611

Boy this weather is getting old!!

Marilyn you just need to be sure whatever you use is NOT a pre-emergence. A combination of pre-emergence and fertilizer would do nothing but fertilze your weeds. Then you would really have a mess!
Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #7755700

Thinking of ya'll and hoping everyone stays safe!

Charlotte - thanks for that info to Marilyn - I am planning on doing my lawn next week - will have to read the bag to see what is in it.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #7755709

After I did all my running around and delivering for the Garden Tour (which I will not be doing again next year - way too much work) I came home and pruned the boxwood and azaleas in the front yard and was a pretty nice afternoon. Just very humid and steamy!! Now there is nothing on TV but weather warnings and sightings of tornadoes!!!! Ready for all this to pass!
beck5711
(Becky) Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7755736

I sure hope and pray that all you girls stay safe!! we've been watching the weather channel, and looks like you Ark. girls are in a mess!! Lyle called his Momma and sis in TN, and it's raining cats and dogs and the winds are strong. Luckily they are safe!

Kathy Ann.. wow what a year makes in your garden.. I bet it's beautiful when they all bloom!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7755790

Thanks for the info on the weed killer, etc., Charlotte. I think that what I saw advertised on tv was a weed killer with a post emergent in it. I will be sure to read the label carefully.

Thanks for your concern, everyone, for us Arkansas folk. Things are still "hairy"--a tornado is in the Benton/Bauxite area now but they just said the rotation has weakened considerably. A severe thunderstorm is associated with it which is dumping LOTS of rain. It is apparently moving up the I-30 corridor which would bring it into the Little Rock area and on up into my area if it continues in that line.
Now they are saying the tornado threat is gone but there could be some strong straight-line winds coming into the Little Rock area in a few minutes. *sigh*
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #7755814

The rain is gone here for the most part, we made it through another storm, one of these days mother nature may not be so good to us
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7755847

Hang on, Kathy Ann. There may be another one heading your way. One is going over me right now.
The TV weather guy just said there was nickel-size hail in parts of Little Rock. Charlotte, are you getting any hail?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
7:59 PM

Post #7755867

No hail, but it is pouring down rain and a lot of lightening! Our satellite has been off for 30 minutes or so now ...whoops it just came back on - yeah!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7755885

I'm glad you aren't getting any hail. We aren't either. There is a thunderstorm in the area but not directly over my house. I can hear it, though, and it is nearby--just to the west of me.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
8:08 PM

Post #7755896

We got the hail, wind and major lightning! There is at least one more coming...they have extended tornado watch until 4 a.m.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7755929

Hope you didn't get hail damage!! I'm tired and ready to go to bed but it makes me kinda nervous going to bed in a 2 story house with all the bed weather! No sirens going off tonight - that's good!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7755932

Well, my electricity just went off for about 10 minutes. At least I had the light from my laptop. I also have my flashlight here right beside me but the laptop was still running on battery power. Another thunderstorm is going over now and it is raining hard again. I can hear it blowing against the window. There is a lot of lightening and thunder associated with this storm but I did her them say before the electricity went out that the tornado warnings have expired. Thank goodness!

Charlotte, I'm glad you didn't get any hail. I don't think we are getting any, either, near as I can tell. I'm glad I have a garage for my car. I spoke too soon-- it is hailing here now. I can hear it hitting the roof and the windows. I haven't looked outside yet. It doesn't appear to be too bad though. I hope it doesn't last!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2010
1:52 AM

Post #7756198

Marilyn and Kim I hope the hail didn't do any damage. All of you in TN I hope the flooding isn't affecting you. I am watching it now and it seems to be still bad. It looks like Sandra Terrye and Ruth are all in for some bad rains.
Today was so humid, misting then steaming. I got overheated digging a drainage trench around the new bed. You can get hot quick when it is like this.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #7756387

WE made it through the second one .

nothing serious, alot of rains and lightning.
lorettad
Batesville, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2010
5:39 AM

Post #7756420

I made it through the night, also. Didn't have electricity most of the night.
Walked around the yard this morning, have a few limbs down but it doesn't
look like anything serious. Hope this is the last of it, but I know they said we
could have it through Monday.

Loretta
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
5:46 AM

Post #7756430

KA and Loretta, I am glad you are both okay and didn't sustain any major damage. I am fine, too, and as far as I can tell there is no damage but I haven't been out to look at the front of the house yet--only in back. I don't believe that the hail lasted long enough to do any damage.

Cindy, I know what you mean about getting overheated in a short period of time in those weather conditions! I was the same way yesterday when I was outside cleaning up the mulch that had washed out of the EE bed and putting the edging around the inside of that bed. I was wringing wet with sweat by the time I finished! It worked, though. This morning, the mulch is still inside the EE bed in spite of the rain we had last night!

My grandson is still "Stuck on a Truck"! Go, Christopher!

edited for spelling

This message was edited May 2, 2010 7:48 AM

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #7756548

Everything looks fine here this morning also. Like you all just some limbs and debris washed all over the yard.
We do need to be cautious in this humid weather. I ran around all over the place yesterday delivering stuff for the garden tour (will NOT do it again next year) and then yesterday afternoon I decided to prune the shrubs in the front yard. I was wet all over. Then I came in and actually cooked a decent meal (veal scallopini) and then about the time I got through cooking I got sick to my stomach and could only eat a few bites. We also have not gotten used to the warmer weather yet.
I'm headed back out today to make more deliveries of ice before 1 and then after 5 I have to go back and pick up the card tables, chairs, left over water, etc. Again I WILL NOT do this again next year. Then between 1 and 5 I'm going to show a friend several houses. I'm ready for a day with no commitments!!!!!

Do hope everyone in TN is OK as from what I hear they really have had some bad flooding!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #7756575

Charlotte, don't overdo it today. Pace yourself!

Fourteen contestants have now been eliminated from the "Stuck on a Truck". That leaves nine! Hang in there, Christopher!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #7756727

I made it! Whew!!

Kim! LOL at Jeff!! Yes, the best time to fish is right after a storm, however, that's the wrong kind of storm to be out in! Did you ever find out if he caught anything?

I'm so glad everyone here in AR is safe! Friday seemed to be a lot worse than last night was, seemed there were more tornado warnings that went later into the night. When they extended the tornado watch til 4am, I went outside and there was a definite sharp chill in the air, so I went to bed and quit worrying about it. I like watching Dr. Greg Forbes on The Weather Channel, he's sharp.

I'm worried about everyone in MS and TN, AL, and KY though...

We had a couple of really hard rain storms, and that tornado warning that you were talking about that went over Haskell and Traskwood, then up to Benton, Bryant, LR, the rotation was about 10 miles south of me, but we still got the northern tier of the storm. We had it on Fox 16 because of the race, but I had the other TV on channel 4, they said for Lonsdale to get down into their shelters too, but I didn't understand why we should.

Here's a link of where my house is at. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
Lonsdale is in Garland County, I'm in Saline County, just north of Hot Spring County.

I should have checked to see if ya'll were on last night, I was cleaning house to keep my mind off of the storms, it seemed to help somewhat. I think the rotation that was near Hot Springs Village fizzled when it got there, Jean are you ok?

It was VERY sunny yesterday, and very humid, but Dave dug a trench in front of the garden fence and I'm planting some brugs in it. I hope it's not too sunny there for them. We ended up with 3 huge downpours with no hail, so I know things are soaked and I'm going to go out and pull some weeds. I need to take more pics of the veggie garden too, it's going nuts! We use Preen, seems to work good.

Go Christopher go!!! I had the web cam on all day yesterday, til we lost power for a few minutes and it shut my computer off. I was worried about everyone at Toad Suck, that didn't look promising, and the pictures that were sent into the local tv stations were awesome!

Becky I'm keeping your brugs alive! I am I am I am!! Still don't know if I'm going to make it to Jeri's ggrrrrrr

Well Dave's outside in the garden, so I'm going to get some clothes on and join him. I'll catch ya'll later!

Hang in there Christopher!!!! You Can Do It!!!
Also, I sent Tulip Tree seeds to Marilyn and KA, did you all receive them? I'm asking because my dad's girlfriend mailed a CD of my dad singing one of the songs he wrote years ago from Joplin MO 1 1/2 weeks ago and I have yet to receive it. Someone in Nebraska sent me Hibiscus seeds and I got them 3 weeks after he mailed them with the envelope all torn up and put in a secondary envelope with an apology from the postal service.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #7756770

Hang on, Christopher!!!!

No, Crissy, I never did find out. He has been down there all morning...so he must be catching them today.

I have not checked all of my plants today. I am getting ready to go work in another persons garden for a while and then I will return and check out my plants, etc. It does not look like anything is damaged.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2010
8:29 AM

Post #7756810

I talked to Sandra they are all OK but no power and doesn't expect it on for several days. She said a tornado set down a mile from their place but only took out trees . They are still getting rain.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
8:33 AM

Post #7756822

I'm glad they are okay but it is a bummer to be without the power--especially for days!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2010
12:06 PM

Post #7757349

I hope we hear something soon from our TN friends...Sharon and Max (Savagegardener), Betty (Picabo), Carol (Justfurkids), Loretta, and any others I've missed listing in the Memphis-to-Nashville area. Worried about you all and hope you haven't had damage. Nashville looks/sounds awful - 15 inches of rain!!

We just started getting rain about an hour ago but it's not heavy yet. Everything yesterday missed us except for a sprinkle. Go figure.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 2, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #7757801

Well we got the power back about an hour ago--about 10 minutes before the power came on the water went off. I don't know if they had to cut it off, but it is off all over so I am not too worried about that. I can't believe we got the power back this quick, it has been pouring rain all day and I don't know how they worked enough to do anything, but I am thankful they did.
Sharon called me yesterday after it went through here and they were ok then.
savagegardener
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #7757915

We are fine ...didn't get much sleep last night , but we are OK. We woke up at 3:00 AM with thunder and lightning , it was storming so bad ... we got up and looked on TV and there was a tornado on the ground that had been spotted in Middleton, so in the bathtub we went fully dressed with purse, important papers , and the dog .

I asked Max if there was any way to get about 1,000 plants in there with us...he looked at me like I was kidding...I wasn't!! LOL

There was some property damage in Pocahontas , Tn about 5 miles from here and possibly one fatality ...with more in Ashland, MS, Please pray for all of those impacted by this storm, I think the flooding is the worst I have ever seen in my lifetime

Thank you Lord for bringing us all through it safely !!
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2010
4:41 PM

Post #7758047

Now you have me worried about Judy Cooksey's DH, Bob, Sharon. I wish I had a way to check on him.
I can send him an email on Tuesday, but if he is without power, he wouldn't get it.
Glad to hear everyone is safe and ok.
savagegardener
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #7758075

We have power now , but it was out for about 6 hours ...go ahead and try to reach him !!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 2, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #7758417

We beat you--we had 26 hours without any power-LOL--You know the saying about not missing it, well it is true, we missed it very much and I know you did too !!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #7758457

Good to hear from you Sharon and Sandra. Glad you both have power and rode out the storms ok.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7758490

It's a relief to hear from you two and to know that you are okay and that you have your electricity back on!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #7758507

I am so glad you all got your power back! It's horrible to not have power. Now, can I help in any way getting emails or making phone calls or something? Dmail me, Cmail me, Email me, and/or call me.

15 INCHES TODAY??? That is absolutely INSANE!!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7758566

Glad to hear that everyone is OK. It is not fun being without power!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2010
5:03 AM

Post #7759328

I've posted a thread about getting together at my house June 6th.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1093804/

since I won't be going to Louisiana after all. I'll have time to do this LOL
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 3, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #7759729

Glad to know everyone is safe and sound. This has been a weird weather weekend - and although we had lots of storms go by, we got very little rain to speak of...
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 3, 2010
7:30 AM

Post #7759760

Forgot to ask... What is this about Christopher being stuck to a truck? Is he trying to win the truck?
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2010
7:42 AM

Post #7759804

GRRRRR I can't find the Stuck on a Truck link...
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2010
7:44 AM

Post #7759815

Well I found it.. POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO What happened to Christopher last night?
Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2010
8:56 AM

Post #7760027

Ladies - please see this thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1093829/#new

Jill (critterologist) has been diagnosed with breast cancer.

This message was edited May 3, 2010 11:28 AM
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 3, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #7760093

OH NO... thank you Emily for letting us know!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 3, 2010
1:21 PM

Post #7760807

Thanks Em, I posted there Jill is such a great person.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2010
1:33 PM

Post #7760853

I posted there, also, and Jill and her family will be added to my list of folks who need healing prayers.

Genna: my grandson, Christopher, was in the Stuck on a Truck contest during the Toad Suck Daze Festival in Conway this past week-end. There were 23 participants. Christopher came in fourth place--he lasted 85 hours, 30 minutes but all that time without sleep finally took its toll and he dropped out sometime around 1:30 a.m. this morning. The 2nd place contestant, a 24 yr. old woman, lasted 91 hours, 26 minutes, I think, which left a 55 year old man as the winner. He was the oldest person in the contest and he outlasted all of the younger contestants! Yes, the winner won the truck. Christopher won a $2000 gift certificate toward a new Trane HVAC unit. Probably not a prize that he can really appreciate just now but at some point in the future he will. I don't know how long he has to claim the prize but hopefully he will be able to make use of it. It is non-transferable and cannot be converted to cash so he will have to get the HVAC unit or lose the prize.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 3, 2010
8:06 PM

Post #7762041

Wow - I can't imagine trying to stay awake that long !!! I would be worthless for a month!

Hope he is able to use that prize... too bad it wasn't for something a little more generic that any age might could use.

Genna
Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #7765964

Marilyn - so sorry Chris didn't win but he sure did give it a great try! It was fun to check in on the webcam and cheer him on even if he couldn't hear me! lol

Sandra - yes she is Jill is a wonderful wonderful person!

Genna - how did the vaulting go? I don't remember seeing any posts about it??
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 5, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #7766327

Not great... He placed 5th in state. He was a nervous wreck and the wind was blowing really bad which always makes him nervous when he is vaulting. He jumped 11' 6" and went out on 12' . His PR (personal record) is 12' 4" and that is what won the meet! But, he was in the ballpark - just not quite his best day!

Genna
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
12:57 PM

Post #7766902

That's quite the vault though! 12'! I couldn't imagine doing either one of those events.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2010
1:00 PM

Post #7766906

Kyle made a valiant effort, Genna! 5th in the state is something to be proud of!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
1:20 PM

Post #7766958

Ijust got a call from my boss, WE embroidered on 3 suit cases the other day and I took the order over the phone with the initials the lady wanted on the bag, I specifically told her on monograms that the last name initial usually goes in t he center, and she gave me the wrong letter. now I hve to go in tomorrow and rip out 2 letters on each bag, and my boss is frustrated at the lady and is probably not going to charge her even though I told my boss that I specifically told that lady to tell me which letter she wantd first second and third and the middle letter is usually the last name.

This bothers me. my bosse's husband is upset abou tthis too, even though it's not my fault at all. I still have to rip out the letters tomorrow and we have to redo those bags which took two people to embroider.

It's been so frustrating at work the last couple weeks, I messed up twice last week, one cost them, the other i'm ripping out. and it's taken me 2 days at home to rip it out, but i'm finally finished with it. I haven't messed up that much at work since I first started working there.

Although she assured me that they were very understanding about all mistakes made there cause they make them all the time too, ( which is true) I usually don't make very many mistakes at all, or the ones I do make can be fixed.

this bag thing is really making me angry. Angry that their not going to recharge this lady to fix it or do it right, even though I was very specific with the instructions. Customer is not always right. it's gion g to take me forever to rip out the middle letter, cause it's not a satin stitch like most letters are, it's like 1,000 individual stitches I have to rip out 3 TIMES.

oh bother, thanks fo rletting me vent, im not looking forward to going into work tomorrow.

glad I got the day off today though
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2010
1:33 PM

Post #7766990

That reminds me of something I saw yesterday, Kathy Ann, which made me think of you. I bought it for you and you should set it beside your sewing machine. I'll give it to you on Friday. I think you will get a laugh out of it. :o))
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7767000

KA I've been having a hard time this week at work too. Not liking it much at the moment, but I go back and forth, I need a job for every mood! LOL It will get better, you all will get past this, and I have a story for you all about my work when I see ya'll on the 6th of June!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 5, 2010
1:36 PM

Post #7767004

Kathy Ann, work can be very frustrating-it is better to vent it here than there too-LOL
Now I know you always try to please your customers, and they probably just want to please theirs too. I used to have to do a lot of repair at my last job too, mainly because the others were the ones always doing it wrong. It does take a long time to take out and then re sew things that have been done wrong to start,
I also think you have spring fever--LOL--I always hated working in spring, when I coudl be home enjoying the sunshine--
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #7767007

Working in the spring flat out sucks. No other way to put it.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #7767133

You are so right Sandra, I know that's what their doing, is pleasing their customer, even though their very frustrated wtih the woman .

Marilyn, you bought me something? You are too sweet.

I got this little hanging plant next to my sewing machine, that my friend sue bought , it's a snow scent and it says "some of my best friends are flakes" I asked her if she thought I was a flake. she looked at me kind of funny. only a true friend can call a friend a flake. ha ha.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #7767811

LOL KA I love it!! I seem to fall into that category sometimes!
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
4:13 AM

Post #7768672

Oh KA I feel your work PAIN! My work has seriously been difficult the last few months and this week totally frustrating. Thankfully you have today off to recoup a little from the frustration. Here's a funny story to brighten your day. Years ago I stopped by Kroger on Chenal to get a birthday cake for my husband Wayne. The lady behind the counter asked what I wanted on it and I said "Happy Birthday Wayne W-A-Y-N-E" I spelled it out knowing that people spell their names all kind of strange ways although there aren't that many ways to spell Wayne. She had the most unsure look on her face and asked me 'W-A-Y-N-E?" So I'm thinking lady really - YES I spell it back to her and she spells in back to me a couple of times (why one of us didn't think to write it down I don't know) Finally she kinda shrugs and goes to the back and writes it on there. When she brings it back the cake says "Happy Birthday UUayne" Then I realize that I have been spelling Wayne, Double U- a- y- n- e and the more she questioned it the more I emphasized the Double U. I guess I should have said 'dubya' but I was too embarrased to tell her that was wrong so UUayne and the kids and I just took some pictures and had a great laugh. It is still a funny story! Hope you have a great day!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #7768772

LOL, Karen--that is funny!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
5:45 AM

Post #7768810

How funny!!!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #7768866

OMG! Funny, funny.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #7768868

Karen, you have you seen the new thread about the garden party at my house on June 5th? you need to go check it out.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 6, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #7768950

I would have went home and told the family it was a mistake cake and I got it for half price--LOL--since it sounded like what I wanted anyway !!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7769012

LOL That's hilarious!!!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #7769131

Charlotte that makes sense! The back of the package said to plant them mid spring and 7 to 14 days to germinate, so that's what I was going by and ended up with a slew of weeds!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 6, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #7769337

Sorry about your problems at work KA. ... I have ripped out things like you are talking about and it is NOT fun! Do they have one of those clipper things? I never had one - but if had had a store front I think I would have needed one.

Karen - that cake story was hilarious!! That definitely brightened everyone's day!

Marilyn, you are correct, Kyle did good. It was just very disappointing for him to know that IF he had jumped his best he could have won. If they guy had jumped a foot above his pr it would have been easier... :( But, we have next year. Kyle has been stuck at the same pr for almost a year...once he manages to get some techniques down he should make another big jump in height.

Genna
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #7769584

Well my sister, great nephew, and I have worked this last week but the new flower bed is done. Most all of hundreds of pots plus bulbs are back in the ground. I know it is going to be crowded in a year but I needed to get things in the ground. I am going to let many of my beds go back to mowing. I just had to cut back and this was the last area to go under water. I still have a huge flower bed on this side to rework but It can be done in small increments. I have a lot still to transfer out of beds that are going back but that can also be done a little at a time. My Nephew laughed yesterday when we got through saying he never thought I would get all those plants in that bed.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #7769637

KA, you can tell the lady that at least I did not try to put her initials on there. I would have put HELP for her initials or maybe SOS. lol

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 6, 2010
11:43 AM

Post #7769716

Cindy, we need pictures, I am glad you got them in the ground, now you can quit worrying about them and having to water all the time.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2010
11:51 AM

Post #7769734

Oh KA - that really upsets me you have to do all that work over. I work in a business too, where "the customer is always right" - and I have to do alot of credits/returns for the same customers that say "they are right" - when it is odd that it is the same accounts that have the same problems over and over. Dreadful to know about it prior to going in because it certainly messed up the rest of your day. I just hate doing anything twice.

Love, love, loved your story Karen. Just too funny !

Cindy.. pictures ????
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #7769926

WEll, work was stressful today, it took a couple hrs to rip out all the letters on all the suitcases, we do have some of those nifty clippers but their not worth the money she spent on them. I just use a ripper. and tweezers.

got it done though. and i'm off till monday,

I feel a little sick to my stomach, probably cause I ate two almond joy candy bars. duh!! I need to quit that.

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2010
1:53 PM

Post #7769984

So glad you have that behind you now and you will have a good long weekend now. It is all overwith.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
4:20 PM

Post #7770327

Working with the public can sometimes be a problem. When I had my store 90 percent of my customers were great. But I had several I knew would be a problem the minute they walked in the door. I let people take things out on approval and if it didn't work they could bring it back. I had one lady that continually took things out on approval. I finally figured out that when she was going to have company she would come in and take home some new lamps, accessories, etc. and then on Mon she would bring it all back. It became such a problem that I had to tell her she couldn't take things out on approval anymore. She was taking out several hundred dollars of stuff and she might spend $10 or nothing.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #7770437

That really takes a lot of nerve for somebody to be that bold, Charlotte! Did the lady ever come back after you told her she couldn't take anything else out on approval? If not, you probably said, "Good riddance!" LOL

Kathy Ann, I just hate ripping out stuff, especially something that has a lot of stitiches like embroidery. I'm glad that is behind you! I'll see you in the morning!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 6, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #7770456

Ok, what are you and Kathy Ann doing in the morning????? I have to know all the details you know !

I had to rip out a "almost necklace" today and made it a bracelet. It is one of the ones I do with a needle and thread and my thread kept splitting and knotting up, so I just got mad at it and ripped it out to the size of a bracelet and finished it. I was trying to get it finished to send to a benefit that is being held Sat for Justin. I think that spool of beading thread had a bad place in it or something, I have never had it to do like that before
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7770499

I'm headed to little rock in the morning, Kim & I are going nursery hopping, I'm bringing all the plants to marilyn that I was swapping at Jeri's house, their bringing them to lousiana for me, they'll be sorry they said they'd do this, cause I think there's 8 flats full of plants out there. ;0) somewhere around 8 l5 or 8;30 marilyn i'll be there.

then on to kim's, I hope I don't have to pull kim ou t of bed in the morning LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #7770569

Well, you need to take 10 minutes to look at the New Dawn climbing rose which you gave me--you won't believe it! and also, you have to look at my new shade bed, too. So Kim can sleep in another 10 minutes, LOL!!

Anything new on Justin, Sandra?
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #7770605

Oh boy, another 10 minutes. I can hit that snooze button one more time ;o))

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 6, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7770621

Well, what are you and Kim doing --you didn't tell us that ???
You know nosey rosey wants to know it all--LOL

Justin is unresponsive is the report from yesterday, Jerry has not talked to them tonight, but usually if there is any thing new to report, someone will call and tell us.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7770636

Sandra sorry you don't have a better report on Justin!

I've been walking around and planning what I need to do on Sat. More than I think I can get done Sat. and Sun!!! I need to move a butterfly bush and put the lady in red hydrangrea in it's place. The roots are coming out the bottom of the pot!! Have a few other things I need to move also. And I still have flowers in pots that need to go in the ground. And I'm going to Forest Hill and buy more...!!!!!LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 6, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7770644

and don't forget all the trades you will bring home with you !
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #7770667

Kathy-Ann, you go ahead and vent here any time. I hate the problems you're having. I get it that the 'customer is always right' but I would think your boss could have apologized to you later for having to re-work the piee.

Karen, that story about UUayne is hilarious. We needed that! I remember hearing a joke about a person ordering a cake with 'Good Luck' and underneath that 'Suzie'. Well the cake apparently came with 'Good Luck Under Neat Dat Suzie' written on it.

I still haven't heard from Picabo in Nashville. I sent her a d-mail and now I'm getting worried.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7770688

Yes Sandra...I remembered the trades also ...but didn't want to mention of it!!!! Didn't sound quite so bad that way!!!LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #7770754

Kim and I are going nursery shopping, I got my money saved for Jeri's and it's burnin a big hole in my pocket LOL so i'm going to go find some plants with it.

;;)

Ok marilyn, I'll be there at 8:00 in the morning. Kim you get no extra time to sleep in. ha ha.

my poppies are turning yellow at the base of the plants, I guess their getting too much water. but My gardens are looking so good, i'm so proud of them this year. i've worked hard the past couple weeks planting and cleaning. Danny said the other day, that everybody was going to miss all the blooms around here. I said, nothing 's blooming, and he started counting everything that's blooming. (the peonies ) their all in full bloom , and won't be in bloom when ya'll are here. but 3/4 of the back flower garden doesn't even have buds on it yet. he has no idea LOL

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7770767

I bet he want be surprised - I bet he knows you!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 6, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #7771030

I have to go back to Hot Springs tomorrow...and I am hoping to find some nurseries to browse along the way... :) If that fails, I guess I can always go to Lowe's! I don't really need to buy anything either since I still have a few things coming from coops and then Jeri's is just next week - but I just want to look at least!! :)

Genna
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #7771046

yes that story is one of my favorites and you know you can't make this stuff up:) Sometimes we still talk about it around here and then we'll call DH UUayne for a day or two. I'm usually really good at communication so it is kinda of funny that it happened to me and I still wonder why I didn't ask for a pen and just write it down. I guess to me it seemed soooo obvious.

Well tonight I fell off the wagon and went to Lowe's after work for a little clearance rack shopping. Just for the record the Lowe's in Bryant had 4-5 racks of clearance stuff. I got several 1 gallon Presto Coreopsis and a Powis Castle Artemisia for $2.00 each, some quarts of Sea Stars Stonecrop, some sea foam green carpet and several of some kind of spring bulbs they were potted but I can't remember the name for $1.00 each. They had a whole thing of hanging baskets for $7.00 each the guy said the hard rain really got to them but they looked great to me. I got one filled with white alyssum, a couple of sweet potato vines and some really neat petunias (green with pink centers) and it was gorgeous. I think I bought about 16-19 pots and spent $30.00 so if you guys get out that way you might stop by and get some bargains. They had tons of dwarf gardenias for $5-6 each and all kinds of other stuff.

I of course needed so badly to buy some more plants especially since my dear hubby went to an auction a couple of weeks ago and purchased 300+ bulbs that are still sitting out on the porch and need to be planted. I KNOW I KNOW it really isn't spring bulb planting time but I will NEVER hear the end of it if those things don't make it into the ground:) He was SO proud of himself for gettin all those bulbs for $20. And we won't even mention the daylily thing I got myself into where I just paid some lady in Minnesota or somewhere $20 for a box of daylilies especially since I had to dig up my Stella's last week just to have a place for the LAST 3 daylilies that needed to go in the ground. UGHHH! Addiction is so hard!!!
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
9:01 PM

Post #7771091

Genna we cross posted but you might want to stop in at Lowe's - they had a lot of several different plants and they even had a corral thingy out front with shrubs and trees that were all half price. I know you are doing a bed from scratch and to me it is hard to find the same plant x 3 or 4 when you shop the clearance rack.

Here's a place along I-30 in benton you might try
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Benton-AR/Cox-Family-Gardens/198032200824

and I've been by this place a hundred times but never stopped - looks like a great place to shop around take the bryant exit go down to springhill road and turn right off the access road. Turn left at the light and it is just one block on the left at the top of the hill

http://www.gardens.com/go/view/8745/

I gotta get some shut-eye - have fun tomorrow Genna

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2010
5:53 AM

Post #7771590

Kathy ann will be here any minute. I just noticed we need a new thread. This isn't "my" thread so somebody else please feel free to start a new one. I don't have time right now. After Kathy Ann leaves, I will be leaving to go to my DGS school for track and field day. (Oh, yay--I can hardly wait to sit in a lawnchair in the sun all day! Am I being a bad granma? LOL)
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 7, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #7771612

Just be SURE to wear your sunscreen Marilyn... we about roasted just sitting for a few hours at the track meet last week - that sun is BRIGHT!

Thanks for the info Karen... but I won't be passing thru Bryant today. I am trying to reschedule my appt in just a moment so that i can be back in time for a powder puff football game that Jessi is playing in today. I hate to miss it but my appt is the same time as the game (that I didn't know about until a couple of days ago) - kept thinking they would postpone the powderpuff game because the girls and boys varsity baseball/softball teams are both playing in the regional tournament today in Parkers Chapel near El Dorado... half of the powderpuff teams will be there!! Jessica just plays JV on softball because this is her first year.

genna

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 7, 2010
6:09 AM

Post #7771637

Ok, Marilyn, I will do it

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1094901/
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
7:00 AM

Post #7771779

LOL I'm a nerd!

This message was edited May 7, 2010 9:01 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America