Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: More Wascally Winter Weeds! Henbit, Purple Deadnettle, and Chickweed: Sore all over...

Communities > Forums > Article: More Wascally Winter Weeds! Henbit, Purple Deadnettle, and Chickweed
bookmark
Forum: Article: More Wascally Winter Weeds! Henbit, Purple Deadnettle, and ChickweedReplies: 1, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Rookerie
Denison, TX
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7739585

Hand pulling is definitely the most effective way of getting rid of these pests, but it DOES take a toll on the body! I spent two weekends on my kneeler in the yard determinedly yanking Dead Nettle, Henbit, Chickweed, etc. out of my St. Augustine so that the grass would be able to come up with the warmer weather. It was worth it, but wow! was I sore! The infestations were so thick this year that I was rolling the weeds up like old carpet in big long rolls. It was like discovering good hardwood flooring underneath, though! And now, a month later, the grass is greener than ever!
Rookerie
Denison, TX
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7739605

Oops...but I did mean to say that I did keep a little in a certain corner of the yard where the Dead Nettle grew through some decorative boulders under an elm. It was very woodland-esque...too pretty to raze to bare ground and gave the bees something to browze on. I'm a sappy gardener sometimes, what can I say...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: More Wascally Winter Weeds! Henbit, Purple Deadnettle, and Chickweed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
henbit, deadnettle and chickweed barbobbi 2 May 2, 2010 9:30 PM
dead nettie heygeno 3 Apr 26, 2010 4:04 PM
oh...deadnettle! ratlover1 1 Apr 26, 2010 6:36 PM
Tree Peony edcd 2 Apr 28, 2010 9:24 AM
Chickweed patgeorge 2 May 2, 2010 2:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America