Photo by Melody

Article: More Wascally Winter Weeds! Henbit, Purple Deadnettle, and Chickweed: Caught it dead (nettle) to rights

Communities > Forums > Article: More Wascally Winter Weeds! Henbit, Purple Deadnettle, and Chickweed
bookmark
Forum: Article: More Wascally Winter Weeds! Henbit, Purple Deadnettle, and ChickweedReplies: 2, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Caedi25
Kirkland, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #7739712

Toni!
Another great chapter in the saga of the Weed Wars! Been wondering what that ground-coverish cutey was. Dead nettle it is! Now for the dithering. I can control it in the yard with hand weeding, but there is this barren spot at the bottom of the drive that it seems to favor, and it's oddly appealing in its little patch. Does the seed tend to just drop and enlarge the patch, or does it also go airborne over greater distances? Wouldn't want to treat the whole neighborhood to an infestation...
Best, Katy
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2010
3:28 AM

Post #7774466

Hey Katy, better late than never! LOL

The seed drops, is not airborne, so you don't have that to worry about. I agree that the plant is quite attractive, but you need to stay after it to keep it contained in any one spot.

How's your weather? We've gone from 80 to 55, then back up to 70 in the space of three days. Sheesh!
Caedi25
Kirkland, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2010
8:24 AM

Post #7775026

Weather? Insanity. "March" winds showed up in April. Traditional April showers extended into May and were briefly interlarded with spits of snow/hail a few days ago. Had the coldest Cinco de Mayo on record, then, yesterday and today... idyllic. High 60s, light breezes, clear skies. Real sun-block weather. Took all my tomato, cucc and sweet pepper seedlings (well, teenagers) out for another sunbath and loaded our deck barrels with fresh potting soil so it could warm up. This keeps up, those seedlings are going into the barrels by tomorrow latest. If the temps drop again, I'll just wrap the little darlings' cages in plastic until the risk is over. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...

As to the dead nettle - That is the answer I hoped for. Will clear away the not-so-cute competing weeds from this isolated patch and let the nettle take over. Will be "contained" by pavement on three sides and a massive big-leaf maple on the fourth. Been wondering what to do with that piece of drive strip. Problem solved. Go, us!

Thanks again and again!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: More Wascally Winter Weeds! Henbit, Purple Deadnettle, and Chickweed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
henbit, deadnettle and chickweed barbobbi 2 May 2, 2010 9:30 PM
dead nettie heygeno 3 Apr 26, 2010 4:04 PM
oh...deadnettle! ratlover1 1 Apr 26, 2010 6:36 PM
Tree Peony edcd 2 Apr 28, 2010 9:24 AM
Chickweed patgeorge 2 May 2, 2010 2:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America