Salvia - red annual fading in full sun??

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

tag says full sun & I have it in full sun (all day 'full' sun), but it is looking ... well ... kinda bleached out or fading & not bright red. What's the deal?? Am I supposed to be pinching these at a certain point or are they getting too much sun?

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Everything else seems happy except the salvia .. maybe these are going to fall off soon?? I have no idea... never had these before.

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I think that as the flowers age, the color does tend to fade somewhat. However, you can always break off those blooms, and make way for some fresh bright new blooms.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

ok, so maybe just pinch them off? I can do that... thanks very much!

Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

Mine are doing the same thing. Did you find a solution?

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

not really. I pinched them off, but they are still fading... all of them. I'm thinking even though the tag says 'full sun' ... it really means 'a lot of sun is great, but if you have hot, southern, all day sun ... they need some afternoon shade.'

Oh well. I know next year to get something that can take it better. It's already 90 here & in full- south facing sun, they are just getting too much I think. Good luck.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

That Salvia is very popular down here in South Florida and I have some of it. Mine is in 2/3 day sun and the blooms fade starting at the bottom regardless to whether its the stronger sun of summer or the less intense winter sun. I also have it in purple and the purple also fades. It just means the bloom is starting to die from the bottom upward and I don't think there is much you can do about it. When the blooms do fade/die back prune them off just below the flower and that will give you more blooms to come. It does seem to bloom better and for a longer period of time if you do so.

Jon

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I don't have any idea about that red salvia, but there are some plants (like our bluebonnet) where the individual flowers change color after they're fertilized. From our point of view, we want the pretty color to stay. But from the plant's point of view, once the flower is pollinated, there's no reason to keep attracting pollinators, wasting their time when they could be visiting a new flower.

Anyways, pretty bed!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images