Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Moles, voles, mysterious holes: News to me!

Communities > Forums > Article: Moles, voles, mysterious holes
bookmark
Forum: Article: Moles, voles, mysterious holesReplies: 2, Views: 112
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2010
10:05 AM

Post #7745348

I had never heard of a "vole" before becoming a member of DG, and then I still thought folks were accidentally misspelling "mole." This article explains a LOT!! We have a massive number of moles trying hard to change the landscape of our neighborhood, but I was always told that moles did not eat the plants, although a few might become collateral damage.

Last year I was photographing my two precious stevia plants and one literally fell over for no apparent reason. Upon inspection, it had been cut, or bitten in two, just below the ground level. I could see the dirt moving beside the plant as the critter tunneled underneath. I won't bother telling you what happened next... I was very angry... neighbors pointed... cars stopped! At that point I assumed it was a mole and all the stories I had heard were false. Because of this article, I know now it was a VOLE! I now have two separate pests to battle, but feel much better prepared!

Thank you so much for the enlightenment!!!
Bev

PS: Wikipedia had this vole pic, and said they were monogamous creatures... aaaah! I still don't like them!

This message was edited Apr 28, 2010 1:08 PM

Thumbnail by Sundownr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
11:02 PM

Post #7747383

Ah Bev, you have my sympathy! Glad I could be of help. Thanks for telling your tale of woe.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2010 2:02 AM
DameAnneWorthit
Lake Park, GA

May 3, 2010
7:42 AM

Post #7759807

AHA! Now I can tell my dear, distraught gardening friend Anita that it really isn't "the mole" (as she tells it) de-rooting her plants, that it IS "the vole". Will try to persuade her to use traps, since her cat is old and lazy . . .

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Moles, voles, mysterious holes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very useful and informative article! CapeCodGardener 3 Apr 4, 2011 6:40 AM
Thanks for the information! rjones8194 2 Apr 28, 2010 11:34 PM
caster beans ARWadoo 2 May 3, 2010 6:45 PM
moles, voles waplummer 10 May 7, 2010 5:23 PM
The Final Solution eskarp 2 May 3, 2010 5:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America