Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Caudiciforms: NEW PLANTS TODAY

Communities > Forums > Caudiciforms
bookmark
Forum: CaudiciformsReplies: 4, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 28, 2010
11:46 AM

Post #7745590

Just got an order from snowbelt adeniums and am mostly happy. 2 nice sized arabicum seedlings, 1 white graft and a little dwarf. The dwarf seems mushy and I wrote them about that. Could it be from being dried out during mailing?
The real quesiton I have is about pots. To put them in pots that do not have too much space would mean some fairly small vessels. In TX heat, would they dry out so fast as to kill the small plants during my long, hot and usually dry summers? I have some very small ceramic and plastic pots that I used for small bonsai but worry about the rate of drying when its 103 F.
Cheryl
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 28, 2010
6:51 PM

Post #7746820

New plants with their new pots. The 2 tall arabicums are cool. Now I have to figure out how to keep them alive this summer and get them to grow.
C

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mnabity
Eagar, AZ
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2010
11:39 PM

Post #7747402

I am by no means an expert but since these plants come from such a dry arid area the texas heat should feel like home to them. my advice would be to check them daily for water and understand that even though they will dry out quickly it won't kill them to be dry for a period of time. I know of people who don't water them at all during winter and those that do only water once a month or less. they seem delicate but are actually pretty tough plants. just flood them with water until it comes out the bottom let them dry out before you water again and do it the same way. mine are always happier when nearly dry so I wouldn't worry too much about them.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

April 30, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #7752630

The 103 is fine. Water them very sparingly until they start growing new leaves. They are transpiring very little water now. If they sit in soggy soil, they will rot. Keep a close eye on them, and begin adding some water when they are actively growing stems and leaves. Very little nitrogen, the first number in the fertilizer equation, like 10-10-10. That would actually make the plants all green, and no flowers.

You might need to water them every morning.

Arabicum are usually stubby short little guys, with lots of stems. Hmm. Nice tall guys, they are fun.

As for the soft one, rubbery is thirsty, soft and squishy is rot.

Get to know your plants. Feel the stems occasionally, a tiny squeeze, and see if they'll bend. Best is, not very bendy, and not soft.

They can get sunburnt if you just put them straight out into full sun. Give them one more thirty minutes every day until they are used to full sun.

And, what Michelle said is completely correct! They aren't cactus, they're an odd sort of succulent. Oh, and they do the most growing the first thirty months of their lives, so go ahead and feed them.

Whew, OK.

Melissa
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 30, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7752688

Well I pptted them up and waited 24 hours then watered. I am not having great weather to move them outside, its cloudy and threatening rain. I will put them in a shady spot so they can at least enjoy warmer temps and gradually move them into a sunny local. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Cheryl

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America