Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Moles, voles, mysterious holes: Thanks for the information!

Communities > Forums > Article: Moles, voles, mysterious holes
bookmark
Forum: Article: Moles, voles, mysterious holesReplies: 2, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rjones8194
Independence, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #7746894

I think there has been a vole explosion around here the last year or two. They are everywhere - we thought they were moles until we started to dig my carrots in spring and found all the root damage. The carrot tops were beautiful but the roots were nothing but 1/2" stumps. It was sickening. They have caused damage on my peach, plum and apple trees also. They really can do some damage. Thank you for the article!

Robbie

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
10:47 PM

Post #7747373

You're very welcome! One of the sites I read did say voles have population explosions periodically.
I caught three voles in the first two days of two mousetraps out last week baited with peanut butter and oats. Next step is to close up the holes and se where I still have activity. I also found a new helper= a garter snake.
Good luck!
rjones8194
Independence, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2010
11:34 PM

Post #7747399

Thanks I'll need it! I have a minature dauchund puppy that keeps getting the vole's scent and going after them. He's creating as much havoc as they are by trailing them. Between the two of them they are going to have my whole yard tore up before long! :oP

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Moles, voles, mysterious holes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very useful and informative article! CapeCodGardener 3 Apr 4, 2011 6:40 AM
News to me! Sundownr 2 May 3, 2010 7:42 AM
caster beans ARWadoo 2 May 3, 2010 6:45 PM
moles, voles waplummer 10 May 7, 2010 5:23 PM
The Final Solution eskarp 2 May 3, 2010 5:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America