Photo by Melody

Container Gardening: Suspending Miniature Melons Using Nets...?

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 20, Views: 201
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Mrdonald1
Savannah, GA

April 29, 2010
2:05 AM

Post #7747453

Has anyone in this forum ever suspended container-grown melons by using netting or pantyhose? I cannot recall where, but I read about suspending Miniature Melons by using nets to keep melons from laying on the ground. This is my first year at this and I could use some sage advice.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #7747775

You can do it with either netting or pantyhose, whichever appeals to you the most. I've done it with netting and hoisted them to my scarecrow, who is decidedly female. When I wasn't paying attention the vines scrambled over to the mesh netting used to keep the crows out of the vegetable garden and away from the tomatoes and they grew on top of the mesh.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Mrdonald1
Savannah, GA

April 30, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #7752915

Pirl...I LOVE your scarecrow! And yes, she is decidedly female. Do scarecrow really work? I was city-born-and-bred and have only associated scarecrows with the Wizard of Oz. Being kinda 21st century geeky, I have suspended a series of DVD disks glued back-to-back in and around my garden to deter the birds.. The itty bittiest breeze causes them to rotate with bright flashes of color and light. I've been told that birds think they are the large eyes from birds of prey, like owls. The gambit appears appears to be working. The Mockingbirds, Sparrows, and Blackbirds have glided within 3' over the garden, but none of landed yet. If they do, I might ask for some scarecrow advice.

Now, back to your prompt response; thanks! I'm going to try the netting first and see how it works. My packet of Minnesota Midget Cantaloupes arrived today. After they germinate, I plan to settle them in for one of our hot but humid Savannah summers. Sultry. Wish me well.

Where is Southold? My first 40+ years was lived in metro NYC and later Upstate NY.
Have a God-blessed day, and be well.

Thumbnail by Mrdonald1

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2010
4:49 AM

Post #7753578

Thanks, Mrdonald! She looks fancier now, not that it scares the birds no matter how she's dressed. Our next door neighbor also has a vegetable garden and she uses the CDs but they probably annoy me more than the birds! We put the mesh covering over copper pipes for the entire side where the tomatoes grow and that did keep them out but then, this past winter, after a heavy wet snow we came home to see the weight of the snow on the mesh had bent all the copper piping so it will have to be replaced.

Do melons typically grow well in your area? Either the mesh or nylons would work - it depends on your garden decorating style. I had a clear (about 4") netting covering the scarecrow with the hope the melons would cling to it but instead they grew up to the mesh and would have been too heavy to allow them to stay there. I will try again!

We battle the birds from the air and the deer from the ground.

Southold is way out on Long Island's North Fork. We're only 14 miles from the tip of the island. Not exactly the end of the world but you can see it from here. The entire North Fork is filled with vineyards, farms, nurseries and beautiful scenery. We love it.

My husband and I were both born and raised in Queens - part of the NYC Metro area.

I do wish you well and hope it's a grand success.

Thumbnail by pirl

Mrdonald1
Savannah, GA

May 1, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #7755811

Melons indeed grow here and are succulent and sweet. Last year we had a bumper crop of Crimson Sweet watermelons, the neighbors raved over them. They were grown from a container and the far-reaching vines curled all the way around the house! So a repeat performance is already in the works, and will also include cantaloupe. Since these are dwarf cantaloupe they should not pose a weight problem, I guess. Like I said, this is my first year planting cants. Fortunately, this area of Savannah does not have a deer problem, it might be our proximity to the sea. But do wish I had a remedy for the pissy cats who use my soil as a litter box. I've got lot's flowers growing, so maybe that will mask the odor.

You folks live in a gorgeous area of the island. Twenty years ago I would drive out to the Point to enjoy the marvelous fishing, salt air, and seascapes. Fortunately, relocating to Savannah did not delete those enjoyments, although I get teased about my New Yawk accent...but if they could hear how their slow southern accents sound in my ears. Actually, I rather enjoy the sound, now. LOL

Question, is that tall blonde scarecrow a drag queen? Or a Dolly Parton impersonator? She's got it goin' on. Smile. I hope you gave her a name.

I'll keep you folks in the loop regarding my progress. Thanks for your guidance Pirl. Give my regards to your neighbors.

- D
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #7756851

The weight problem was my only concern. If they grow profusely you'll need a lot of pantyhose or netting to hold them all. We had a very cool summer so no melons last year.

We're about 200' from the water, being on a peninsula that juts out into Great Peconic Bay, and have creeks on both sides of our little spit of land, but that does not stop the deer.

I love the southern accent and took my name of pirl after a former, now departed, neighbor who was born and raised in North Carolina and retained her accent until her death at 102+.

I am smiling! She is not in drag! Wouldn't "she" have to be a "he" to be in drag? Her name is Adelaide after the person who once owned all of this land that is home to about 87 people.

Good luck with whatever method or methods you try, MrDonald1.

Thumbnail by pirl

SigourneyBeaver
Pine Island, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 4, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #7764662

That is absolutely the best scarecrow I've ever seen! Good job.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #7764948

How sweet of you to comment. When the winter winds blew her hair off she was still rather stunning. She will probably get a straw hat for summer.
Mrdonald1
Savannah, GA

May 5, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #7767316

Pirl...

I've decided to build a scarecrow too just for the whimsy and have found instruction ideas on the web. I am so glad that you invited me to see Adelaide and her girlfriends. Mine will be decidely male. He might even be modeled after my brother Zack (in picture), so he'll be "colored", with a sliderule in one hand, and fully suited... Haa Haaa Haaaa!!! How the heck will I pull that off?!!! Mister the Scarecrow's gonna have a high bar to clear. Be sure to tell Adelaide that you know of this southern gent named Mister that's gonna send his regards before the summer is past, and after I give him a mouth. Big Laugh.

Here's the web instructions I found for Mister: http://www.monkeysee.com/play/2646-how-to-make-a-scarecrow

Thumbnail by Mrdonald1

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #7767588

I used a trellis on a wooden post with a glass head:
http://www.pier1.com/SearchResults/tabid/37/txtSearch/glass+head/Search/glass+head/List/0/Default.aspx

Clothes always come from thrift shops and generally she doesn't wear anything that matches. The dress was an exception and I have enjoyed it as it flutters in the breeze and tells me which way the wind is blowing.

She has no legs or feet so how you'll accomplish that is purely your own ingenuity. You could put the slide rule in his pocket or let him wear it instead of a tie. Please post photos as you go about creating him.

Maybe the day will come when we can get Adelaide to meet the new Zack!
Mrdonald1
Savannah, GA

May 5, 2010
7:00 PM

Post #7767948

A Thrift shop suit for Mister Scarecrow! Excellent input. Thank you. He must have legs though Pirl. What's a woman without a dress, and what's man without trousers? I cannot imagine Mister with only a head, arms, trunk, with no legs. Just ask your husband.

I plan to use a styrofoam head used to display ladies wigs, pull pantyhose over it, paint on a face with paint that won't dissolve the foam, and pin on a hat. I'll create the head first as my muse. The cool part will be changing his head gear occasionally. I LOVE hats...it's kind of a southern thing.

This is gonna be a hoot! I can already imagine the neighborhood kids gathering near to see Mister up close. Pictures will be posted through the creative process. Good idea.

A sudden thought. This thread started asking suggestions for hanging melons. Makes me wonder if there is a forum on scarecrows. But, no time to check right now... I've gottago...it's time to hit a thrift shop or two.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7767960

Two boards would work for legs and the shoes wouldn't be a problem at all.

Why couldn't he be sitting down with a lap of burlap and you could have melons in his lap?

Visit a few thrift shops - some are better than others and some have personnel who love to help with the clothes.
Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
10:14 PM

Post #7818765

I just saw this thread - Pirl, your scarecrow lady is fabulous - i really like her varying attire!

MrDonald1 - if you have not constructed your gentleman yet, may I suggest 2 things:

head of styrofoam - could have fabric pieces glued to it in its entirety, and then add items as you wish for the facial features. I did this once with a fancy tone-on-tone brocade & used leather "leaf" shapes as hair. Hard to explain correctly, but it worked well & held up, too.
legs - rolled chicken wire covered with an old sheet for the legs - flexible for positioning the legs, and sturdy/substantive enough to give support.
Now i may make 1 more suggestion: use fancy bras from the thrift store for "melon" support! Of course, that could draw some choice comments, especially if placed discreetly near your gentleman...
Mrdonald1
Savannah, GA

May 28, 2010
12:34 AM

Post #7835421

Thank you Katye! I greatly appreciate your suggestion. Lately, I had been very ill and so my scarecrow project has been waiting for my full recovery, although Mister resents being referred to as one of my projects. After receiving an antibiotic and some TLC, I have started mending. And I so agree with you about Adelaide! Scarecrow hardly fits her description. She, is a Lady. Laughter.

Hi Pirl! I miss hearing your pearls of wisdom and saintly humor (yeah, right). Pirl, is it possible to get food poisoning or ingest E-Coli bacteria while harvesting from the home garden?Last year I remember hearing about E-Coli outbreaks from supermarket Tomatoes, Spinach, and Lettuce. These three are used raw in salads.

For about 10 days I was in pain, dizzy, vomiting, and diarrhea. I had the blues without the music. No joy in Mudville.. It's good to feel normal again. Regards to your husband, neighbor, and of course, The Lady, Adelaide:

Thumbnail by Mrdonald1

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #7835776

Adelaide and I are sorry to hear of your recent plight, MrDonald!

If you used any products in the garden, like composted manure that wasn't thoroughly composted (heated by nature to a point to kill the E coli) then there is that possibility.
Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2010
11:52 PM

Post #7838657

Glad to hear you're on the mend, MrDonald. Please update with your progress on the Mister.

Pirl - if you would be so kind to post any further shots you have of Adelaide - she's definitely got style!
Now if i could come up with a great design that resolved my Rabbit issues. Scarecrow with large snakehead?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2010
7:11 AM

Post #7839078

Do you want a close-up?

This one is my favorite from last year.

Thumbnail by pirl

Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2010
10:25 AM

Post #7839683

Pirl - she's looking tres chic with frosty hair!
She's truly a 4-season lady.
Excellent!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2010
12:16 PM

Post #7840040

Thanks. One of these days I'll give her a summer hat though it would clash with the dress.
Mrdonald1
Savannah, GA

May 31, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #7846927

Pirl...

Adelaide is 'da bomb, as the kids say, and Mister asked "does she ever visit the deep south to warm herself"? Laughter. ps...he loves her new cut.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2010
3:26 AM

Post #7847807

She certainly is "a looker". Now, if she only scared the crows it would be ideal.

Sports and traveling are not big hits with her and throughout the worst winters I've never seen her shivering. Who knows but maybe she's dreaming of meeting "Mister".

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America