Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Plant Collars to Put the Water to the Plants Roots: I like that idea

Communities > Forums > Article: Plant Collars to Put the Water to the Plants Roots
bookmark
Forum: Article: Plant Collars to Put the Water to the Plants RootsReplies: 0, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #7749776

I am going more to Xeric plantings, which often are some assemblence of ground cover, low growing sprawling things. I started doing something similar, sort of accidentally. My WS seeds or seedlings I plant in the round ice cream containers from lets say Dryers and poke some holes in the bottom or cut slits, bury them a little, put the soil, some gel crystals and water them every few days. What I found is that they hold the water better, with the wax carton and the bottom breaks down first, so the roots just keep digging deeper. The ring, of the carton seems to be of similar dimension to your rings according to size. By the time the carton is rotting, I just peel off the top part of the carton and throw away, the plant is nicely and deeply rooted and needs to be watered much less than it otherwise would have using other methods. Less disturbing the tender plants too.

You are quite a mathematician lady. I admire that. Cool idea. I am in the west so it makes sense here.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Plant Collars to Put the Water to the Plants Roots Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
good idea btroje 0 Sep 1, 2007 3:49 AM
plant collars karen1950 1 May 3, 2010 7:13 AM
sunken beds ARWadoo 0 May 3, 2010 2:59 AM
Enter this in the gardening contest Ninzerbean 0 May 3, 2010 4:10 AM
2 liter soda bottles Delightful_Dawn 1 May 3, 2010 12:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America