Prayers for a farmer

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Stan's older brother had a heart attack last night. They had to zap him three times to bring him back. He has a dairy farm about6 miles from us and his wife and he need a lot of prayers now, for his well being and for decisions they need to make about the farm. He had a stroke about 3 years ago, so it's been heavy on their minds anyway. I'd just appreciate any spare prayers you might have.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

How is Stan's brother doing Kathleen? Sorry I didn't respond before now, but I had no internet or phone service during our 'flood' down here in TN.

Richmond, TX

How tragic, I hope he is doing better. I'm sure we are all pulling for him.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

He is better. They've put him in a 'regular' room and he will be undergoing some tests today and tomorrow. They will most likely have to replace at least one valve.

Stan and a friend did sell the cows over the weekend, but his brother hasn't been told yet. They still have the heifers and calves. We have the two littlest here to give milk to for another couple of weeks. His wife was relieved and sad. As much as I'd like Stan to slow down, I can't imagine going out to an empty barn.

Thank you for your prayers. Hineni, how are you doing? Are you high enough to avoid the flooding?

Richmond, TX

Thanks for the update. Sounds like relatively good news. Sorry the herd had to be sold, but only practical.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

So glad to hear of his progress Kathleen, thank you for updating us! I know he will be sad about the cows, but probably (maybe won't show it if he's a stoic like most farmers I've met) he will be a bit relieved at the lessening of the burden of work.

I'm doing okay here; only 7" of rain and a little minor basement seepage, if you don't count the water...errr vegetable garden in the mix :) If this rain keeps up I may switch to growing rice here. Potatoes and onions are doing well, but the peas look like they are on their way out at only 4" of growth. Oh well, there is always next year!
I finally got the garden tilled, but have been unable to get into it to work it into rows and plant anything. Looks like a late garden here this year! Thanks for asking :)

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

That's good to hear. I didn't realize you were in Paris. Not that far from all my western KY friends and family. Sounds like you'll be gardening on my time schedule. Going to plant peas today, with any luck.

They did the heart cath yesterday and all of his vessels are clear, but one valve is shot and he'll have to have it replaced. His wife told a nurse not to let him out until they've done the procedure. I think she's worried she won't get him back up there.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the update Kathleen...you know that anything that ya'll need I'll be glad to do.

Hineni, I'm about 45 minutes from Paris straight up 641. You ought to show up when Kathleen comes in.
Look what's blooming today Kathleen!

Thumbnail by melody
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Hey, Mel, thanks. So far so good. That looks GOOD. Did the little pink scotch briar make it?

Steve is scheduled for surgery on Friday, repair if possible, replacement if not.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Keep us updated on his condition.

I pruned this thing back by about a third in March or it would be even bigger.

No the little scotch briar didn't make it. I think it was the summer, although I put it in filtered shade and even put some moisture crystals in the hole and watered it anytime we didn't get enough rain, but it just seemed to get frailer and frailer. It just did not like west KY. (The forsythia never missed a beat)

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Tom, my NY grandson just called and said he has a torn ACL and will be out of sports for 6 to 9 months. One bummed out boy. What a week.

I have more of the scotch briar if you want another.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Wow...what a week. Let's hope things do not happen in 3's, you don't need anything else.

Yes, I'd like to try again with the scotch briar...whenever you head this way....

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Hmm, I think there was something else, but it was a minor emergency. I actually think we're covered...

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

# 3 was not minor, but involved a 4 legged member of the family who is recovering quickly. Tom's dog Otis (aka Oty) had a bacterial infection that mimicked a stroke. After a couple of doses of antibiotic, he is well on his way to recovery. I'd stopped worrying about him - that's why I couldn't remember it!

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Melody, that would be cool! And we can get MsRobin to come down too maybe. You'll have to let me know when Kathleen is going to make a visit. I had no idea you were so close by Melody (not that I get out much but...LOL) In the four months I've lived here, I've only been to Jackson, Martin, Murray McKenzie and Union City so far, and usually because someone else drags me along. Every time I leave the house I find that it costs me money!!!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

The surgery went well, they repaired one valve and replaced another. Steve is in ICU for awhile. Eventually, someone's going to have to tell him about the cows, but at least now he should be strong enough to hear it.

southeast, NE

Kathleen, Glad your brother-in-law is doing better. That had to be very hard to sell the cows.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I assume by now the BIL knows about the cows, Kathleen. How did he take it? If he really wants more cows, I can send him ours.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

lol, stand in line, I offered ours and he said no thanks! He looked at Stan and said, Why didn't you tell me sooner, I would have stopped worrying about them, which was pretty much what I thought he'd say.

He is doing well. He and a friend have arranged the sale of his first cutting and he plans to sell the heifers before winter. I haven't seen him because I had a cold, but everyone says he looks better than he has in years. They ended up adding a pace maker/defibrillator to the mix, so he should be good to go.

This message was edited May 29, 2010 5:51 AM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Glad to hear things are looking up.
All dairy farmers should sell their cows before they reach old age. (Whatever that is.) My uncle had a heart attack while milking & they found him in the gutter. He lived for a time before passing on. He was 80 years old! A little old for milking, I think. I was around 50 the last time I milked & that was relief for a neighbor.

Good luck to you dairy people & may prices rise!
Bernie

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

While the Lord has blessed me in many ways since my endeavor with the “Garden Imposable” and made it “The Garden Possible” my family has had it quite rough here in the last few months in Sept 09 a big rig Hit My wife in Her SUV causing damage to her neck, there are lil tails on the spine like lil fingers (if you will) those are gone crushed.

Since then we have been in and out of the doc’s office with her and the 13 yr old with different things due to the wreck the 4 yr old rolled out like a “bouncy ball “ her words not mine …and yes she was buckled in every one was … I was not in the SUV.

Any way on June 8th my wife is scheduled to have two sets of disks fused and those two sets fuse into one mass and then will be required to wear a hard collar/ halo for 2 to 3 months so it will heal properly . so please keep us in your prayers.

Thank You

The Sarg.

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Hey, Sarg, you got it. that sounds like a tough row to hoe indeed. Isn't it remarkable how little ones do bounce out and right themselves? Prayers for your wife and family.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

Thank you All of you .

yes to be young again and know what i know now what a dream .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images