May pictures

Ripley, MS

Ok here we go for the pictures of May flowers, we will count April 30th as May, since we are getting rain tomorrow--I figured these flowers would not be so pretty after the deluge of rain

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

Lavender

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

Double knock out

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

Iris in the secret garden

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

This iris is in the roadside bed

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

Gunny's Rose

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

Foxglove from seed planted last spring and put into the bed last fall

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

Homestead verbena

Edited to tell Kathy Ann--that is my porcelain vine you gave me on the fence, it is doing well this year, I hope to have some berries

This message was edited Apr 30, 2010 5:49 PM

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

Byzantine glads starting to open

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

iris

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

This is a shorter iris, I am not sure what it is, but it is about half the height of the tall bearded

Thumbnail by slcdms
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sandra: Lovely blossoms, all! My gunny's rose is covered in buds and has had one bloom so far but the petals have already dropped on it.

Like Sandra, I went out and took some photos today because after the expected rains/thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow, I didn't know if the flowers would look so good.

The green hellebore which Kathy Ann gave me has been blooming literally for weeks.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I hope I was not "stepping on your toes", Sandra. I have waited to see if you are going to post any more photos. I will post mine when you are finished.

Ripley, MS

Go ahead I was finished, just went back and edited on the verbena that Kathy Ann gave me the porcelain vine--
I was also thinking that Terrye might have given me that shorter iris, so she may know the name of it--she has some beautiful iris

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I just love iris--any kind, any color. It's just too bad they don't bloom all summer!

Speaking of iris, this is Celebrity Song, which Kathy Ann gave me, as well. I wish you would just look at that monster hollyhock behind it! It is taking up so much room and crowding out some of the other plants.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This blue salvia is getting ready to bloom. I don't know the name of it.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

First bloom on the Tiki Torch echie. It looks like it tried to split in half and make two blooms. It has a couple of other buds on it.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sorbet Peony

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Minnie Pearl phlox with Hot Lips Salvia behind it

Thumbnail by marsue
Ripley, MS

Have you noticed it always rains hard when the peonies start to bloom? I don't have any, but I see them everywhere and it usually comes a flood when they are bloomed out.
Yours is so pretty, and when that monster hollyhock starts to bloom, you will like it then-LOL

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I did not know that about the peonies blooming bringing the rain! Maybe I should have told it not to bloom right now--LOL The hollyhock was not in that spot last year--they were at the other end (south) of the flower bed. I really don't know how they got into the north end of the bed unless I scattered some seeds there, but I don't remember doing that. LOL there are 3 hollyhocks in that end of the bed now but that one is the biggest. I will be glad when they bloom!

Here is another Celebrity Song with the Walker's Low catmint behind it and a Ballerina Rose guara to the right.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This is Peach Belle.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I love these ditch daisies--they are so pretty but I hope they don't "multiply like bunnies" like you said, Sandra. I may have to pull them out, if they do.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This is the first bloom of the season on the Oranges & Lemons Gaillardia. This is the one I thought had died last season but it came back and seems to be doing good.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Purple verbena. My daughter, who has a brown thumb, can even grow this! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
Ripley, MS

Marilyn, that picture looks more like a Shasta than a ditch daisy, the ditch daisies get about waist high and don't have as full of a bloom as the Shasta--is that the same clump you showed earlier?
I have not had any of my ditch daisies to bloom yet, but they are budding. I probably pulled a thousand out and pitched them off the bank when I cleaned the roadside bed out.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

A view of the hummingbird/butterfly bed looking from south to north. All of the flowers in the photos above are in this flower bed, except for Peach Belle.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

That's not a Shasta, Sandra-- I have those, too, but they aren't blooming yet. It is the same one I showed on the other thread. Whoo--I sure hope a thousand of them don't show up in this bed! LOL I'll be pulling them out for sure!
One last photo for now--this is one of my torch lilies with several bloom stalks getting ready to bloom.

edited to say: That was a close-up of the ditch daisies--they aren't as big as they look in the photo.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2010 6:28 PM

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Plus ditch daisies usually aren't growing in horse-manure enriched dirt! LOL

Ripley, MS

Oh yes, I forgot about all that horse manure you have there--LOL--mine will be blooming any day now and I will show some pictures of them.

(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Well I was soooo excited to come home yesterday and find that I too had a PEACH iris blooming - this one had to have come from my haul at one of the 2009 RU's

Thumbnail by kjuddy
Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Sandra - all of your iris' are sooo pretty, but I am not familiar with that byzantine glad. did you grow that from seed ?
Marilyn - that Sorbet peony is absolutely gooorrrgeous ! Amazing to see how far your butterfly garden has come.
It is really hard for me to photo this rose on the side of my garage - but this year, it has really started putting on a show. Seems my lense had a smudge on it.

Rainbows end

Thumbnail by n2birds

Karen - is that the peach iris everybody was talking about that they got at the swap too ? Seems to be a famous peach iris going on around our group. lol.

Sandra - know what this is ?

(sorry a little blurry)

Thumbnail by n2birds

My Rugelda rose bud

Thumbnail by n2birds

The bloom

Thumbnail by n2birds

Rose - Funny Face

Thumbnail by n2birds

Climbing Rose - Hurdy Gurdy

Thumbnail by n2birds
Ripley, MS

Cindy gave me the byzantine glads--you know she is the bulb lady--these are a very old flower, I am not sure if they are even sold anywhere now or not. I will have to search for it and see.
No, I don't recognize that plant????

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra I love that benzatine glad also!!!

Marilyn beautiful peonies!

Karen that a beautiful climbing rose!

Bonnie I love the rugelda and hurdy gurdy roses!

Hearts a Burstin? lol.... you grew from seed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.