Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Mid-South Gardening: May pictures

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 221, Views: 907
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 30, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #7752099

Ok here we go for the pictures of May flowers, we will count April 30th as May, since we are getting rain tomorrow--I figured these flowers would not be so pretty after the deluge of rain

Thumbnail by slcdms
Click the image for an enlarged view.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 30, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7752105

Lavender

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 30, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7752111

Double knock out

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 30, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #7752112

Iris in the secret garden

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 30, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #7752115

This iris is in the roadside bed

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 30, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #7752117

Gunny's Rose

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 30, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #7752118

Foxglove from seed planted last spring and put into the bed last fall

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 30, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #7752125

Homestead verbena

Edited to tell Kathy Ann--that is my porcelain vine you gave me on the fence, it is doing well this year, I hope to have some berries

This message was edited Apr 30, 2010 5:49 PM

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 30, 2010
3:43 PM

Post #7752130

Byzantine glads starting to open

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 30, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #7752135

iris

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 30, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #7752140

This is a shorter iris, I am not sure what it is, but it is about half the height of the tall bearded

Thumbnail by slcdms

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #7752150

Sandra: Lovely blossoms, all! My gunny's rose is covered in buds and has had one bloom so far but the petals have already dropped on it.

Like Sandra, I went out and took some photos today because after the expected rains/thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow, I didn't know if the flowers would look so good.

The green hellebore which Kathy Ann gave me has been blooming literally for weeks.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
3:52 PM

Post #7752166

I hope I was not "stepping on your toes", Sandra. I have waited to see if you are going to post any more photos. I will post mine when you are finished.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 30, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #7752169

Go ahead I was finished, just went back and edited on the verbena that Kathy Ann gave me the porcelain vine--
I was also thinking that Terrye might have given me that shorter iris, so she may know the name of it--she has some beautiful iris
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #7752181

I just love iris--any kind, any color. It's just too bad they don't bloom all summer!

Speaking of iris, this is Celebrity Song, which Kathy Ann gave me, as well. I wish you would just look at that monster hollyhock behind it! It is taking up so much room and crowding out some of the other plants.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #7752190

This blue salvia is getting ready to bloom. I don't know the name of it.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #7752200

First bloom on the Tiki Torch echie. It looks like it tried to split in half and make two blooms. It has a couple of other buds on it.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #7752206

Sorbet Peony

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
4:03 PM

Post #7752216

Minnie Pearl phlox with Hot Lips Salvia behind it

Thumbnail by marsue

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 30, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #7752219

Have you noticed it always rains hard when the peonies start to bloom? I don't have any, but I see them everywhere and it usually comes a flood when they are bloomed out.
Yours is so pretty, and when that monster hollyhock starts to bloom, you will like it then-LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
4:10 PM

Post #7752243

I did not know that about the peonies blooming bringing the rain! Maybe I should have told it not to bloom right now--LOL The hollyhock was not in that spot last year--they were at the other end (south) of the flower bed. I really don't know how they got into the north end of the bed unless I scattered some seeds there, but I don't remember doing that. LOL there are 3 hollyhocks in that end of the bed now but that one is the biggest. I will be glad when they bloom!

Here is another Celebrity Song with the Walker's Low catmint behind it and a Ballerina Rose guara to the right.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #7752249

This is Peach Belle.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #7752254

I love these ditch daisies--they are so pretty but I hope they don't "multiply like bunnies" like you said, Sandra. I may have to pull them out, if they do.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #7752259

This is the first bloom of the season on the Oranges & Lemons Gaillardia. This is the one I thought had died last season but it came back and seems to be doing good.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #7752263

Purple verbena. My daughter, who has a brown thumb, can even grow this! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 30, 2010
4:20 PM

Post #7752269

Marilyn, that picture looks more like a Shasta than a ditch daisy, the ditch daisies get about waist high and don't have as full of a bloom as the Shasta--is that the same clump you showed earlier?
I have not had any of my ditch daisies to bloom yet, but they are budding. I probably pulled a thousand out and pitched them off the bank when I cleaned the roadside bed out.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
4:22 PM

Post #7752276

A view of the hummingbird/butterfly bed looking from south to north. All of the flowers in the photos above are in this flower bed, except for Peach Belle.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #7752287

That's not a Shasta, Sandra-- I have those, too, but they aren't blooming yet. It is the same one I showed on the other thread. Whoo--I sure hope a thousand of them don't show up in this bed! LOL I'll be pulling them out for sure!
One last photo for now--this is one of my torch lilies with several bloom stalks getting ready to bloom.

edited to say: That was a close-up of the ditch daisies--they aren't as big as they look in the photo.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2010 6:28 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #7752300

Plus ditch daisies usually aren't growing in horse-manure enriched dirt! LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 30, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #7752317

Oh yes, I forgot about all that horse manure you have there--LOL--mine will be blooming any day now and I will show some pictures of them.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7752348

Well I was soooo excited to come home yesterday and find that I too had a PEACH iris blooming - this one had to have come from my haul at one of the 2009 RU's

Thumbnail by kjuddy

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2010
5:03 PM

Post #7752385

Sandra - all of your iris' are sooo pretty, but I am not familiar with that byzantine glad. did you grow that from seed ?
Marilyn - that Sorbet peony is absolutely gooorrrgeous ! Amazing to see how far your butterfly garden has come.
It is really hard for me to photo this rose on the side of my garage - but this year, it has really started putting on a show. Seems my lense had a smudge on it.

Rainbows end

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2010
5:06 PM

Post #7752396

Karen - is that the peach iris everybody was talking about that they got at the swap too ? Seems to be a famous peach iris going on around our group. lol.

Sandra - know what this is ?

(sorry a little blurry)

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #7752401

My Rugelda rose bud

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2010
5:08 PM

Post #7752404

The bloom

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #7752406

Rose - Funny Face

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #7752412

Climbing Rose - Hurdy Gurdy

Thumbnail by n2birds

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 30, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #7752454

Cindy gave me the byzantine glads--you know she is the bulb lady--these are a very old flower, I am not sure if they are even sold anywhere now or not. I will have to search for it and see.
No, I don't recognize that plant????

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #7752594

Sandra I love that benzatine glad also!!!

Marilyn beautiful peonies!

Karen that a beautiful climbing rose!

Bonnie I love the rugelda and hurdy gurdy roses!

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7752599

Hearts a Burstin? lol... you grew from seed.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #7752611

I think it may be because this is the first time I've ever had a peach one.

Here's the story of the day:)

I went out last night and cut some of my irises so I could enjoy them inside this weekend - course I knew they wouldn't look good after the storms. So I took this vase of Iris to work with me today - so that we could all enjoy them...

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #7752633

So around lunch time a co-worker was standing in my office door talking to me when we heard a funny sound - I said "What was that" she thought it was the door making a sound but then we got quiet and we heard a big ole bullfrog croak coming from my iris bouquet. Well when we investigated here's what we found resting down inside one of the iris is he cute or what? He slept in there all afternoon until I got ready to go home. Unfortunately, he didn't get to come home with me because I was afraid he jump out while I was driving and cause me to wreck. We laughed till we cried especially when I started thinking that I had held onto that vase all the way to work this morning so imagine what would have happened if he'd jumped on me while I was driving. All those irises made my office smell heavenly all day today!

This message was edited Apr 30, 2010 8:11 PM

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7752670

Great pictures every body.

I had to transplant my porcelain berry vine last year and it's starting to take off this year finally.

That salvia you have there Marilyn , you rnot sure which it is , looks like mealy cup sage to me. does it come back for you.? it's not hardy for me, but I do love it.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7752703

Great story Karen!! What a surprise!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 30, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7752816

Bonnie the hearts a bursting don't bloom until fall, is there something else in with it?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/66157/
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7752834

Actually the heart's a bursting blooms in the spring and then the seed pods show up in the fall when they are orange with red berries Mine are also blooming right now.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 30, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #7752863

Well I better go check mine then, I thought what they did in the fall was the bloom that turned into the seed pod--now wonder I did not know what it was !!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
7:39 PM

Post #7752891

We just had a tornado come through here a few miles to the east of me, evidently. I just came out of taking cover in the bathtub with Friday. I didn't have to persuade him to get in there with me--he has been in my lap all night--stuck to me like glue! Animals seem to have a sixth sense about these things and he hopped right in the bathtub with me and let me cover him with a pillow. The immediate danger is passed for now but it looks like we are in for a long night. At one time in the past hour there were 5 active tornado warnings in the state. There have been confirmed fatalities in one area, unfortunately. The tv weather guy just said the NWS has just upgraded Arkansas to a high risk for tornadoes until 7 in the morning!
Kathy Ann, I hope you are keeping an eye on things. That tornado that just went through my area is headed into White County and is near Beebe now.

Well, on to more pleasant things:

Karen, if you divide that peach iris this fall, I would like to have one of the rhizomes. It is beautiful! Cute story about the frog or toad, whatever the case may be. :o))
Bonnie: I love that Hurdy Gurdy--it is stunning!
Kathy Ann, that salvia did come back for me. When I bought it the tag just said "blue salvia".

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
7:48 PM

Post #7752910

I believe this is arch angle. I'll have to check the tag again to make sure. Nasty out tonight! Like Marilyn said lots of tornadoes going through. There have been some fatalities.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2010 10:07 PM

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #7752913

I've had this clematis for a long time and it is really looking great this year.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #7752918

The colors look so pretty on this blood good JM. See how the red on top just sort of dances.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #7752924

This is a different allium. I like the leaf but don't like the bloom as well as the others. Not sure how long the foliage will last.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #7752933

I had this pee gee hydrangea in a pot in the front yard. I moved it to a shaded area in the back at the end of last summer and put it in the ground. It likes its new location.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7752941

Most of the stuff in my herb garden came back. I haven't planted anything in it this year.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7752947

A little basket of succelents I put together in one of the wire baskets from Hobby Lobby.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
8:03 PM

Post #7752957

I managed to keep my staghorn fern alive during the winter. I killed the last one I had by spraying ant spray on it. After I had done it I read that you are not supposed to spray with ant spay. Hopefully I can keep this one alive for a while.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7752960

I'll end with a couple of iris.
Carter Springs

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
8:06 PM

Post #7752963

Deen Day

Thumbnail by cperdue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #7752987

Beautiful flowers and plants, Charlotte! I would love to have a Japanese Maple but they are so expensive that I have never bought one.

A thunderstorm is taking place outside my house just now and I have lost my cable tv service but not my internet service nor the electricity--guess I will have to keep up with the current weather warnings via the internet.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
8:20 PM

Post #7752998

Yikes! Baaaaaad weather!

However, in between tornado warnings, I wanted to post a couple of new plants that I got today.

This is a proven winners supertunia--raspberry blast.

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
8:23 PM

Post #7753004

This coleus did not have a tag and no one was able to remember what it was called, so I decided to call it Lucky Ducky ;o)

Thumbnail by duckmother

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #7753027

I like that supertunia. Where did you find it?
The sirens keep going off here and I'm just sitting here like a dummy watching the weather on tv and playing with the computer. Don't want to go to bed however with the sirens going off! They are sounding now!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #7753043

LOL Me, too, Charlotte. I got the supertunia at Lowes. They just arrived today. They also had Pink Bubblegum and at least one more but I cannot remember the name.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 30, 2010
10:06 PM

Post #7753230

It has been a bad night - hope it finally beginning to let up...at least the worst stuff!

Here is my Arms Wide Open Iris. I purchased this in the coop last fall and have been anxious to see how it would look. I ended up cutting these blooms off this afternoon because of the impending storm. When Alex was burned and in the ICU in the burn unit, he listened to a CD by Creed over and over and over... the song "Arms Wide Open" happened to be on that CD twice and so we listened to it many, many times. I can't hear that title without thinking of that, so I had to add it to my collection. I think it is really pretty - although it is more lavender than what my photos show...

Thumbnail by gen2026

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 30, 2010
10:10 PM

Post #7753244

Marilyn,
My Minnie Pearl Phlox is beginning to bloom...

Thumbnail by gen2026

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 30, 2010
10:17 PM

Post #7753251

This is Rootbeer Oasis... not the best picture. It was taken last Saturday after lots of heavy wind had already damaged it some.

Thumbnail by gen2026

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 30, 2010
10:21 PM

Post #7753258

Sandra - here is my mystery plant that I mentioned was blooming back about a month ago. FINALLY got a picture of it, but of course, it is no longer blooming...also found the tag... it is the Mellow Yellow Spirea... and I believe that either Karen or Janie brought it to me at Debras.

Thumbnail by gen2026

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 30, 2010
10:26 PM

Post #7753265

Last one... as I HAVE to get to bed... but is THIS Limelight Salvia??? I know it is in this bed and I have almost everything identified except for this and one other plant...

Thumbnail by gen2026

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
1:10 AM

Post #7753416

Wow all the photos are great. Charlotte you amaze me at all the things you have tucked into that lot.

Marilyn your beds are outstanding this year. Your little ditch daisy I believe is a Marguerite daisy. They are smaller more mounded than the Shasta. Marguerites come in many colors but white is all I have ever had or seen in the nurseries . It definitely does not look like the wildflower Sandra is talking about to me. I am no expert though.

Kim I bought some of the supertunias today too.

Bonnie and Charlotte I will try to get each of you a start of the byzantine glads. I lost lots of the these when the bank fell off. I also owe Jeri some.

Every one's Iris are beautiful. I have been working so hard on a new bed that I haven't taken any pictures, but I am loving y'all's. I did have a black gamecock LA iris blooming today. I though I had lost all except the common blue, purple, or rust colored LAs. yeah

Sandra when I got home and was watering plants that where bunched together in pots I found a pot of amsonia blooming. I didn't loose it after all. I was amazed at what had survived in those pots with no care. I have got to get them back in the ground though the wind is blowing hard here everyday. All my pots that I created are so wind burned. My daylilies are putting up scapes through the weeds. I should have some blooms as early as next week. Your Iris have really bloomed out since I was there.

Genna I really like that Mellow Yellow Spirea

Looking forward to everyone's pictures. I am sorry you are having such an awful night with the tornados. Stay safe. Cindy

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
5:09 AM

Post #7753602

Don't work too hard Cindy!!
Genna I like that Mellow Yellow Spirea too!
It is not raining here this morning but very cloudy and dark so I would say we are going to have more rain today. The Little Rock Garden Tour is today and tomorrow. We had the same kind of weather during the tour last year. Got some errands do to for it this morning.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
5:48 AM

Post #7753671

Genna, I love your spirea but it didn't come from me - I wish it had. I confess to being a spirea fan. I have Little Princess, Frobelli and last year I bought Solar Flare on clearance of course. They always put on such a great show and they are easy to grow. My Frobelli is huge this year - I am trying to root some cuttings because I'd love to add that one in some other places in the yard. The solar flare is starting to put out new growth which is kinda reddish/orange and I can tell it is going to be a gorgeous plant. Here's a picture of the 'solar flare' spirea

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #7753686

BTW anybody know what this might be? It definitely came from the Oct RU and it had a tag that said "Karen" on it but the name was gone.

Thumbnail by kjuddy

savagegardener
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #7753704

Genna.. are you sure that is an salvia??? ..it sort looks like an agastache- maybe honey bee blue

beautiful pics everyone ...Bonnie I am bidding on a rainbow's end rose on E- bay ...I had to have one after I saw yours ! LOL

This message was edited May 1, 2010 8:06 AM
JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 1, 2010
7:28 AM

Post #7753882

Glad to see everyone made it through last night. Looked outside and one of my knock out roses is bending almost to the ground, and something blue blooming in one bed- but it is raining again so no picture of what the new blue is. My youngest DGD spent the night. She is really afraid of storms. The base siren would go off, then the Jacksonville siren would go off-around 1am she finally came and got in bed with me. Probably the first time since she was 6.

Genna, I wish that spirea had came from me. It is a pretty plant. I got a bridal wreath from someone at the fall ru. I think they had brought seveal types of Spriea, but I dont have who it was written on my sheet.

Karen's frog was the hit of the office yesterday. The Irises she brought to work were so pretty. They reminded the boss there was one at what he calls "the old home place" that he was going to give either Karen or I. When I told him I only had one Iris blooming this year, after moving all of them last fall-he said he thought he would give it to Karen (lol).

This message was edited May 1, 2010 9:30 AM
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 1, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #7753930

No, I am NOT sure it is a salvia at all,... LOL... I just know that SOMETHING in that bed is Limelight Salvia! ^_^ I have a tag that my chickens pulled up and I don't know what it goes with. I had originally thought it went with the Mellow Yellow Spirea - and I inquired back in March while the spirea was blooming and Sandra said the salvia would not be blooming that early that it had to be something else. Then finally I found the tag on the spirea - which made much more sense that it would be blooming that early!!! I am still very much a novice at trying to remember what everything is - looked at that minnie pearl phlox at least 4 times before it started blooming because I could never REMEMBER what it was!! My memory is getting really really bad!

Anyway, I have another something out there - that I don't know what it is and I will try to get a pic of it sometime this weekend if weather permits - then there is always the chance that I LOST the salvia and it isn't there anymore.

Thanks for the possible id on the plant - I will have to check my list to see what I ordered from Bluestone last year - I MIGHT have purchased a honey bee blue.

Love that Rainbow's End and the Hurdy Gurdy... I am really enjoying the few rose blooms that I have - but I have cut most of them to bring them in to enjoy. I NEED to add to my roses.

Genna

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 1, 2010
7:51 AM

Post #7753947

Janie we cross posted... Ok, I am TOTALLY baffled now. I know I got the spirea at Debra's from someone who took one of my limelight rose 4:00 seedlings... said they had an entire bed of the limelight or chartruse colored plants... and gave me that in exchange for it. I am HORRIBLE with names - don't remember WHO it was! I will pull the tag out of the ground when I get a chance and see if it has a name. There were lots of new faces there last Spring and I have obviously gotten my names mixed up - which is definitely not unusual for me!

But, that is good for me - since none of you have it, maybe eventually I will be able to share with everybody - WHICH IS a rare thing at this point!!

Genna

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #7753989

Everybody's flowers are so pretty! Bonnie, in case I didn't tell you, I absolutely love that Hurdy Gurdy climbing rose! If I had any place to put another climber, I would get one of those.

Thanks, Cindy, for the clue on the Marguerite Daisy. I had one two years ago but it didn't do anything last year at all. Now I have these that I have been calling ditch daisies but I think you are correct. The Marguerite must have come back miraculously from re-seeding itself. Isn't God's natural world wonderful?!

Genna, congrats on the bloom on the Minnie Pearl--it should prove to be a prolific bloomer for you! Your flowers are all looking good! I couldn't keep up with the names of all my flowers if I didn't put one of those tags in the ground beside each plant(made from Kim's and Janie's cut-up mini-blinds).

In spite of the bad weather last night, with more expected this afternoon, my plants seem to have survived without much damage although the iris do look somewhat bedraggled this morning. The Knock-out roses have also lost quite a few of their petals.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
8:08 AM

Post #7754002

Charlotte, I know you are busy today, occupied with that garden tour. I hope the tour does well, in spite of the weather! Anyway, I wanted to post this photo for you.
The Dead Nettle you gave me in March has blooms on it. This was the happy surprise that greeted me when I went out this morning to look over the flower beds.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #7754011

My Medallion rose has its first bud of the season.

Thumbnail by marsue

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 1, 2010
8:40 AM

Post #7754113

Marilyn, I have tags too... I just have chickens that love to scratch in my beds and they often "move" the tags! Then I have a few of the bling tags that I can no longer read...

I do have a lot of mine marked with the Eon markers - but I try to wait to make sure it is going to survive before I use one of them...LOL... and sometimes by that point, I have lost or can't read the other tag. I can barely remember my own name most days - much less all those flower names!!

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
9:13 AM

Post #7754188

I'm back from my first round of delivering, etc. Wet and pooped! Not sure how I got wet because it didn't really rain while I was out. I was delivering bags of ice, so I guess that's how I got wet. Looks like it is going to rain off and on today. I was just out making a walk around the yard and it started to rain but think it has already quit.

Marilyn the dead nettle has a pretty bloom - guess I didn't tell you that. I also have another dead nettle that has more green with the white highlights. It has a very similar bloom.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #7754251

Thanks you guys. Maybe if Jim comes over next weekend, I will get him to try to root some of the Hurdy Gurdy for you guys.
Love all the pictures. Genna - proud to see you posting pictures. I don't know if I have ever seen any of your flowers/plants before - very nice.
Very funny story Karen. You never know where those little cuties may be hiding. I haven't seen any out yet this year. I thought it may be a little early for them.
I love seeing the plants of everyone that someone else shared with them. What a great group we have that is enriching our lives. Everytime I walk around my yard and see something growing that was a "gift" from a DG friend - I feel blessed.
Charlotte - your bloodgood is really making a statement against all that green in the background. Very nice.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 1, 2010
10:08 AM

Post #7754299

Bonnie, glad to see you posting, it was rough your way this morning, wasn't it? Memphis is really in a mess--the Med has diverted patients as they are having a raw sewage problem there from the flooding.

Genna, I don't think the limelight salvia is even up yet. I have not seen mine yet, but it could have been a casualty of the hard winter we had. It does not bloom until fall
This picture was made Oct 10-2008, you can see a few of the leaves and they are green, the limelight refers to the part where the bloom comes from.
If you got it from me, I raised the ones I gave away from seed. I had one to bloom before the round up and it was a true bloom, but when you plant salvia from seed they don't always come true.

Thumbnail by slcdms

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #7754319

That limelight salvia is really pretty. It was a surprise to me to see the blue blooms but I can understand now why they call it "limelight".

Bonnie: although I have bought some plants, a large percentage of the plants in my gardens have come from other DGers--God bless them! My garden is 2 1/2 years old now and this is the first year that I have had much to trade. It is a blessing to me to be able to pass on some of the plants that were given to me.
Every time I see a plant in my garden from a DGer, it reminds me of that particular person and also puts a smile on my face! The Lady Diana rose that you gave me is doing well, by the way. When she blooms I will post a photo of her for you. I did have to cut her back some this year because the top half died off during our bad winter.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
11:51 AM

Post #7754512

I got that limelight salvia this year, but it's not hardy for me, it's jus t a tiny thing too, I hope I get some blooms.

My gardens are loving this rain we're having.
antsinmypants
Marietta, MS
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
12:33 PM

Post #7754587

Hey Sandra, are you alright? I heard it got pretty rough your way a while ago today.

ants
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 1, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #7754726

Talked to Sandra right after that bad system went through and they are fine, but her power was out. Not sure if it is back on yet.

Karen, your plant looks like St. John's Wort "Brigadoon" I brought several of these to the RU in Oct.

Genna, your plant looks like agastache "Golden Jubilee" Mine are up and about the same size as that.

I got out earlier and took a few pics before the storms got her.

Here's my "Josephine" clematis. My favorite, right now anyway! lol

Terrye

This message was edited May 1, 2010 3:25 PM

This message was edited May 1, 2010 4:30 PM

Thumbnail by tryliv

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 1, 2010
1:27 PM

Post #7754728

Belle of Woking clematis

Thumbnail by tryliv

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 1, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #7754733

This is Crystal Fountain with Zephrine Drouhin rose.

Terrye

Thumbnail by tryliv

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 1, 2010
1:33 PM

Post #7754739

Unknown iris.
I just love this scene.

Terrye

Thumbnail by tryliv

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 1, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7754746

Bonnie, I love that Rainbow's End! Was it all yellow when we were up there? I can't remember the pink mixed in.

Here's is Watercolors. I just got this one last year and it is doing real well.

Terrye

Thumbnail by tryliv

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 1, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #7754754

Here's a closeup. I love the mixed up colors. The only thing that could make it better is if it was double! As it gets hotter it blooms in big clusters of multicolored blooms.

Terrye

This message was edited May 1, 2010 3:40 PM

Thumbnail by tryliv

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
1:41 PM

Post #7754758

So pretty, Terrye! That Josephine clematis is HUGE! Can you plant clematis to grow up on a climbing rose? Won't it choke out the rose?
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 1, 2010
1:42 PM

Post #7754759

Yellow oldfashioned flags blooming in front of the store.

Thumbnail by tryliv

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 1, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #7754764

Thanks!
No, roses and clematis are good companion plants. I haven't had any problems with the clematises getting too big
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 1, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7754769

My hanging basket from Rita's.

Thumbnail by tryliv

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2010

Post #7754770

Karen, loved your frog story. That is too funny!

Sandra, that small iris of yours - did you buy it in Nashville a couple of years ago? I have one that sounds and looks very similar called Everlasting Love. I think I got it in Nashville and thought it was bigger I guess.

Love everyone's iris photos. Terrye your clematis are lovely I have been eyeing a Belle of Woking. How tall is yours? I'd like to get something that stays 6-8 feet rather than 12-15 like some of them do.

Charlotte, that is a greate succulent basket. I'm going to visit Hobby Lobby and see if I can find a similar basket.

Can't remember if I posted this iris or not on the otoher thread. It's one of my favorites and I still haven't tracked down the name yet.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 1, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #7754776

Last one. One of my container's from plants from Rita's.

Terrye

Thumbnail by tryliv

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2010
1:54 PM

Post #7754800

Terrye, we're posting at the same time...I've been working on a few containers this week (again). Re-did a couple. This is cordyline, diascia, a really cute Curly Bronze Leaf coleus, and a salvia that came back from last year in the pot.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #7754808

Another container with red salvia, supertunia, asters (from a couple of years ago) and another salvia I think.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2010
2:02 PM

Post #7754825

I had totally forgotten I planted these purple penstemons in this bed. I've been trying to figure out what was coming up and lo and behold...

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 1, 2010
2:08 PM

Post #7754846

Pretty pots, Elaine. I have most of mine done but I still keep finding some I missed. More shopping to do...lol

I love the penstamons. My luck I would have pulled them up thinking they were a weed Been there, done that.

Terrye
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #7754858

Beautiful pics everyone... Heres "before the storm" Its pretty even even after the rains yesterday morning..

Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #7754869

This is "Evening Drama" BTW Hope all you guys are ok after the bad weather last night... Hugs

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
2:20 PM

Post #7754881

"Matt McNames"

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
2:25 PM

Post #7754890

NOID yellow... smelled so sweet and loaded with more blooms than any other iris I had..

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #7754906

"heavenly haze"

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
2:34 PM

Post #7754921

"laurel park"

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #7754933

"Mary Randall"

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #7754940

"Afternoon delight"

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #7754942

OH my, Love the container arrangements, and those iris are beautiful! Elaine, that penstemon is coming up in about 6 or 7 diff places in my gardens , I just love that, is it red rocks penstemon? kind of looks like it when it blooms,
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #7754947

one last iris pic back to " before the storm"

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
2:43 PM

Post #7754950

Good time to be posting that one, cause we're fixing to have some storms LOL

lovely!

Pam's choice fox glove.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #7754952

Some more foxgloves, I just love these things, I wish I could grow delphiniums and lupines like I can grow foxgloves. and I wish these things would start reseeding themselves. Can't think of a prettier flower i'd rather have in the gardens.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #7754954

woops that's not dicentra that's peonies,

This message was edited May 1, 2010 4:46 PM

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #7754956

Ruffled Velvet siberian iris

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7754958

lil Harlequin dahlia's (sp?)

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7754959

Navy strut TB iris

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7754960

Here's the dicentra burning hearts

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #7754963

veggie garden is coming along nicely

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #7754965

Carolina moon Baptisia at night.

this reminds me, My thermopsis golden banner has tons of seed pods on it and I have a baby coming up so I figure next year I will have lots of new plants of the golden banner and golden bean thermopsis which is in the baptisia family

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7754967

Love those foxgloves.. I need to try those.. I have some seeds.. Are they hard to start?

Noid peony

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #7754969

Six hills giant nepeta

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7754974

I haven't had any luck ever trying them by seed, and not getting any to reseed for me either. but this is a big year for the foxgloves, their planted in quite a few places and have lot sof blooms so maybe i'll get babies next year.

Sandra said she started hers by seed, and it's blooming now, one year later.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
2:54 PM

Post #7754980

"saratoga springtime" my daylily bloom of the year..

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #7755015

I was looking at some baptista this morning also I have lots of seeds I just need to get some things planted.. I just want instant gratification.. I do have several types of echinacea started from seeds from WS also lupines, coreopsis, bee balms and a few other things only thing I've moved to the ground yet is the lupines.. They are doing better than the prob to small echinacea I potted up..Maybe the soil was no good..I may need to feed them..

The start of these amaryllis came from my grandmother..She is still alive and kicking high too at 94..

Edited because I either can't type or can't spell, I'm not sure which..

This message was edited May 1, 2010 5:10 PM

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7755043

Heres a picture looking up the road from the front of my property.. You can see I still have plenty of room for flowers lol ...My hosta bed is under that pine tree and grancy greybeard tree...It is really growing.. The hill you see is Overflow Hill... I live in the Delta..Should the Mississippi River flood her banks, this is the first high ground for many of us..Ha I dont know why I threw that info in there..It runs for miles tho A natural levee (I bet Cindy knows)

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #7755150

very nice containers, Terrye and Elaine! Your flowers and veggie garden are looking good, Kathy Ann--I think I commented on your photos on Facebook.

Lovely iris and other flowers, Trish! You certainly do have plenty of room to expand! I was going to make another bed along the fence on the north side of my back yard, but I decided against it. I told myself, "Marilyn, you have all you can do to maintain the flower beds you have now. You don't need another flower bed to weed!" LOL so I haven't made it----yet.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #7755172

Ahhhh you are right Terrye that is exactly what it is now I remember getting that at the RU - Thanks! I at least like to have some idea what things are out there. Anybody here have a sweetspire? I bought one (on clearance) at Lowe's last year and it is just about to bloom, I am looking forward to that.
antsinmypants
Marietta, MS
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7755261

Thank you Terrye :)

OutsidePlaying, I believe your Iris is Batik.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/32524/

ants

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7755627

Everybody's flowers look so pretty!! I love the clematis and rose combination. I planted a blue clematis on one side of the new arbor and a red climbing rose on the other. I'm hoping to have something like yours Terrye in a year or so. They have really taken off this year.

This iris is Flopsy. It just opened today! I really like it. I bought it because it was so unusual!

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #7755634

I bought 2 or 3 LA irises at an irises show and sale last fall. This is the only one that is doing anything thing. Another is living but I don't think it is going to bloom this year

It is called Pure Water which doesn't make sense to me since it is yellow.. Do you think it may have been mis labeled?

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #7755636

This is a white siberian iris.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #7755644

Tour de France tall bearded iris.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7755662

This is a concrete planter on DH workshop deck. I used to put geraniums in these pots (2 matching) but I decided to try something different.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7755672

This is another concrete planter. I usually end up just putting impatiens in here but decided again to do something different.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7755680

Does anyone know what this is????? I bought this at Rita's. There are several things I bought at Rita's that did not have a tag and I didn't find out what it is. I have a couple of other things I need to take photos of and see if anyone knows what I have.

Thumbnail by cperdue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
7:41 PM

Post #7755803

Lovely iris, Charlotte, and very nice job with those containers, too! What kind of grass is that in the one container? It would look really appropriate if it was planted in one of those "head" containers because it looks like hair gone wild! LOL
I really like that Tour de France iris. The name of Pure Water is a mystery but you know the folk who name these plants don't always give them a sensible name.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #7755884

Marilyn I found the grass at Home Depot. It is not hardy for our zone. I think it is zone 8 but I thought it was really neat. I like the way it moved.
I looked up Pure Water and it looks just like mine!
savagegardener
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2010
8:48 PM

Post #7755991

Charlotte - It looks like maybe a gartenmeister bonstadt fuscia...It is very pretty!!

The grass looks like mexican feather grass
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2010
9:04 PM

Post #7756016

Wow - everyone's blooms and pots are looking fab !
Terrye - I love that Watercolor rose, and your clematis' look great - espeically with the rose combo. I started some similar this year on the front corners of my house. May take awhile to get to some size.
Marilyn - you are too sweet. I love thinking of my friends also as I walk thru my yard. Sharon's DMIL brought me a box of succulents last Saturday and I tried to tell her "thanks" and she wouldn't hear of it.
Love all the iris' blooms. Has been raining too hard here for me to get out and get any pictures today.
Ka -that ruffled velvet sib. iris has put on another show for us this year. Mine didn't make it :-( that you sent me last year. I was looking sooo forward to having that.
Elaine - don't you just love it when something shows up that you forgot about and it is flourishing ? What a gift.
Glad to see so many are doing well thru all the storms.
Thanks Terrye for updating us on Sandra.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2010
1:11 AM

Post #7756187

I was so excited to see not all of my old favorite LA Iris had fell into the river. This is Sinfonietta

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2010
1:21 AM

Post #7756190

I really love that this year everyone is contributing photos. I go back and look at them again. Yes it is very comforting to walk around your yard and remember who gave you a plant. i have so many friends in my garden.
Terrye you have a beautiful collection of clematis. Charlotte you seem to have one of everything. I love that La. Iris. Funny about names. The Great White Hope La Iris is purple. I think this is Professor Neil if not it is Professor Jim.

Thumbnail by Riverland

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
5:14 AM

Post #7756389

Charlotte, you can see your pure water here, it might be the soil or lighting making your iris a tint of yellow,

http://www.louisianairis.com/registrars/index-P.htm

Both professor jim and professor neil are also on that same page.

lol their both that color though LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #7756484

Cindy, when the weather clears up a little more, I will go outside and make a list of the iris which you gave me at the RU at Kim's last fall. If you need a start of any of them to replace ones that you have lost, I will be more than happy to dig up some rhizomes for you.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
6:50 AM

Post #7756531

Thanks Sharon you are right!! I have one other plant I bought at Rita's for the foliage. I need to put the two of them together in a pot. I need to post a picture of the other plant because it didn't have a tag either and I don't know what it is!
The grass is feather grass. It is not hardy for my zone but I just loved the way draped. I'll dig it up and try to carry it over this winter.
Cindy I have to admit I am a collector. I used to collect china, boxes and other stuff and I finally ran out of room so I do all my collecting outside now. I really like unusual plants.
I don't know the story, but isn't it some kind of folklore that you are not supposed to thank someone for a plant?? I have a friend that always says "I would thank you for this but I'm not supposed to".
I too love having plants that have been given to me by others. It does make you think of that person as you walk around and look at the various plants. I can't really put it in words, but the personality of that person seems to come through in the type plant they gave. It seems the plants I get from others even do better than other plants.
Kathy Ann I think the photo is making it a little more yellow. It looks like the one in the link you sent me. I was just somehow expecting a blue!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #7756591

Charlotte, I have heard that old saying, too--that you are not supposed to thank a person who gives you a plant because the plant won't grow. You are just supposed to pass it on when the plant gets big enough to divide in the future. So I am not thanking any of you for the plants you have given me or will be giving me--I'm just blessed to be able to pass them on this time around at Jeri's RU! :o))
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #7756625

Thank you, Thank you, Ants, for the iris ID. Yes! It is Batik. I could not remember the name and haven't had time to go find my planting sketches to figure it out.

Kathy-Ann, I love your foxglove. I tried to start some from seed this year. The seeds are like pin pricks they are so small. Did you buy plants? By the way, my penstemon is lavender something or other. I'll double check.

I could look at all these pretty pictures over and over. Love it all.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 2, 2010
9:16 AM

Post #7756934

Bonnie, my clematises have held true to the perennial code... they just sit there for 3 years and then take off. Most of mine are 3-4 years old and this year they are showing out. So much I bought two more at Homestead and ordered more last night. Had to have that Elsa Spath and then got tempted by pictures! lol

Cindy, that Professor Neil is a beauty. I love that lilac color.

More rain for us here today. We've had several inches today and wind but nothing too strong. Especially nothing like poor Tennessee. I saw where Rita had posted she was flooded out.

Terrye
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 2, 2010
9:16 AM

Post #7756935

This message was edited May 2, 2010 4:02 PM
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7757530

lavender dusk or something like that is that penstemon elaine, I didn't realize they seeded like they do,

I've had most of my foxgloves given to me in trades, but I did get a few named ones at bluestone when they had their 50% off sale.
savagegardener
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #7757926

Sandra - Your iris are beautiful this year

Charlotte - I love all your concrete planters ..those are some great combinations !!

Kathy Ann - I love the foxgloves , too ... love the cottage garden look
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #7758113

Bonnie, I'll get you some more ruffled velvet siberian iris, I have some variegated petitsites potted upfor you , it's going through shock now. LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 2, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7758412

Sharon--correction--my iris were beautiful, now all the bloom stalks are on the ground. I am glad I made pictures the other day, cause it is a mess now.
Bonnie, my Hearts A Bursting do not have any blooms on them-they must like it at your house better than mine !
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7758541

mine are too, so much rain ands uch squishy ground, I shopped off some blooms today cause they were pulling the whole plant out of the ground. I hate that. had to replant some also. I sunk to my ankles in one spot in the back garden
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7758638

Hey guys,

I know I can post this over on the ID board but I thought I'd check here first. Last night when DH and I left for supper I noticed this plant blooming at the end of our road - there is an old home place there that no one has lived in for years. It looks like a wisteria to me but all the regular wisteria bloomed weeks ago. I never remember seeing this blooming before (seems like I'd have noticed it) this plant has flowers that really look like wisteria but the bunches are more rounded than elongated. I couldn't tell if the tree this was in was what was blooming or if it was a vine growing in the tree. I'll post a close up of the bloom next Any ideas on what it might be?

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #7758642

here's the bloom close-up

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
8:08 PM

Post #7758723

Looks like my Amythist falls wisteria

here's mine

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7758742

I think you may be right Kathy ann. I swear I've never seen that blooming before as you can see it is beautiful. I'm gonna have to sneak over there and get a cutting - shhhh don't tell!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2010
5:04 AM

Post #7759333

LOL i've not been able to root mine by cuttings. but good luck, I just posted a thead about a get together at my house June 5th

you'll have a chance to sneak that cutting if you come LOL

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1093804/
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 3, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7759660

My amethyst falls that Kenny gave me last fall had been putting out new growth and looked llike it was doing great. NOW, it looks like it is dying...???? I am not sure why.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #7759868

I have some new irises blooming today. This first one is Judy Mogil and the picture just does not do it justis. It is very tall, taller than the other irises. The bloom is also very, very big! Can't really tell that in the photo.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #7759873

This one is Oasis Shooting Star. Note the little shooting "stars".

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #7759875

Tamara Kay

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2010
8:05 AM

Post #7759878

Elmer's Peachy Cream

Thumbnail by cperdue

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 3, 2010
9:27 AM

Post #7760113

Very pretty Charlotte!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2010
10:55 AM

Post #7760393

Beautiful, Charlotte! That Oasis Shooting Star is certainly aptly named! All of my iris that were blooming before the storms over the week-end have lost their blooms, thanks to the hard rain. I do have one purple iris that is blooming today. I will go out and get a photo of it later.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2010
3:56 PM

Post #7761233

That Oasis Shooting Star is really pretty i finally took a few pictures. This is pink indigo.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #7761275

My passion vine is loaded with blooms

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #7761286

I don't remember the name of this clematis but every time it blooms I really like it. not that showy but cute

Thumbnail by Riverland

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #7761472

I bought a few passion vines this year. Mine have quite a few buds but are just not being to open. I'm so excited!

I really like that little clematis. It is very different and I love the chair you have it climbing up.
savagegardener
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #7761658

is it Clematis 'roguchi"? If so , I bought that one this year ..it is waiting in a pot to go in the ground , when it dries up

Cindy , yours is very pretty!!! Love the chair, too

I lost all my tropical passion vines in the GH this winter ...do not know what happened either too dry or too cool..I still have the regular native one though
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #7761918

Love the Judy Mogil iris and that pink indigo.

Off to find KA's thread about her party...
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2010
12:45 PM

Post #7763743

Lovely blossoms, Cindy! I really like that clematis--the buds look heart-shaped and I like the chair, too.

I went out and took some photos of the hummingbird/butterfly garden this morning.
Rather than post all of the photos, I will just post the link to my picasa website, but here is one photo from this morning.
edited to add the link:
http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/May42010?authkey=Gv1sRgCJG-wdCfjurAPQ#

Gunny's rose--it's hard to capture the true color of it--it starts out a pale pink and then fades to almost white as it opens up.

This message was edited May 4, 2010 2:47 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 4, 2010
12:50 PM

Post #7763758

Look what bloomed out here yesterday afternoon

Thumbnail by slcdms

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2010
12:52 PM

Post #7763764

Oh, my goodness! Mama Cat's been busy! LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 4, 2010
1:03 PM

Post #7763791

Yes, and they will all be up for adoption as soon as they are eating. This is Cayla's kitty and she failed to get her spayed, so now she has 4 little bundles to find homes for.
Kit was so proud of her babies, first thing this morning she rolled over to show them to me--lol--they started getting here about 6pm last night.
I have them in a basket now, I had thrown an old pillow on the love seat that I had used when our power was out to sit on the porch in a lawn chair, I picked her up out of the floor and laid her on that pillow about 3pm and she had them on the pillow. Then she moved them from the pillow to the love seat. I saw her tummy contracting and went to get the basket--but it was too late--one was already out when I got back with the basket

Thumbnail by slcdms

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2010
1:24 PM

Post #7763852

Oh my Sandra - you win ! The best blossoms of the year !!!
How sweet are they... and you know it is gonna be hard to get rid of them... come on and admit it.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 4, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #7763880

Yes, but there is no way I can have 5 cats inside the house--Kit is used to the dogs and goes and comes as she wants to.
Is there any thing sweeter than a kitten ?
I wrote on my blog today about the Miracle of life--it is so amazing to me, but she was created and knew everything to do, she has never been around other cats, but she knew what to do and she never even cried once.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #7763897

It is pretty amazing. Cats are wonderful "natural" mothers. And they are so careful and loving mothers. I miss all my wild cats from where our building used to me. We always had kittens.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7764124

Awe, sweet babies.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7764788

Ok - back to the flower pictures - that won't matter now that Sandra stole the show here. lol...

Python Parasol

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #7764793

Tiger Honey

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7764799

Tiffany

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7764804

Clematis - Ville DeLyon

Thumbnail by n2birds

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #7764907

Bonnie all those are pretty!!
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

May 4, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7764934

Bonnie thanks for posting the pics. I now have a better idea of what to dig when I come out Saturday.
I still think Sandra has the better Blooms so far. I think I have some like that, but have no idea where the mother cat has moved them.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7764987

LOL, Lovely pics bonnie,

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #7765030

One new iris today - Liger.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7765036

Purple passion vine - I know the name but too dark to go out looking!
I'm so excited about these!! This is the first year I've had passion vine.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #7765038

White passion vine. I need to go out and get the names and edit my photos with the name before I lose the tags.

Thumbnail by cperdue

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #7765082

Charlotte - are your passion vines in total sun ? I have one that barely gets going by the time the season is over, but I have it in shade (as I don't have much sun).
KA - those 2 iris' above have your name on them as they multiply . . . I haven't forgotten, so Kenny, if you get them - you have to share them with KA. lol.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2010
8:06 PM

Post #7765154

Kenny, you leave my iris alone !! LOL

Charlotte, what do you do with your passion vines in the winter time? I have one that's hardy and comes back for me , the incarnata, but it grows wild, and I don't put any trellis on it, it' just lays on the ground.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2010
8:10 PM

Post #7765164

Bonnie it doesn't get a lot of sun. I have it in the back and like you most of my back is shady. It gets some sun during the day but not a lot. The spot it is in gets a some sun about mid day.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #7765180

Kathy Ann I'm planning on leaving them out. I ordered them from Brushwood (is that right, at least something close) and I tried to really study the different passion vines. A lot were not hardy for our zone but I found some that are supposed to be hardy in 7b. I guess I will find out next spring! LOL
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

May 4, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #7765237

KA, I'm sure those iris want multiply anytime soon if I have my way.
We have tried passion vines and never do any good with them.

Thumbnail by obbirds

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2010
9:04 PM

Post #7765305

I hope they stay hardy for you, they wouldn't for me. zone 7 plants do not make it where I live.

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2010
9:10 PM

Post #7765321

Charlotte I believe the white one is a clematis. Look closely at the parts of a passion vine.
Beautiful pictures though.

Sandra love your blooms.

Kenny dig for me too. Bonnie's Iris are beautiful
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2010
4:25 AM

Post #7765594

Me, three! I want some of Bonnie's iris! LOL (really, I do, when it is time to divide them, please, Bonnie.) Charlotte's "Liger", too!

Lovely amaryllis, Kenny!

This message was edited May 5, 2010 6:26 AM

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
5:18 AM

Post #7765688

Cindy I think you are right. I got to looking at it last night myself and thought that doesn't look right. I guess I planted a clematis and the passion vine on the same trellis! LOL Can't remember what i've done!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #7765721

Kenny I love those amaryllis! Are they in the ground?

I just checked my labels. The passion vine is Florida. The other is a clematis - Jeanette. I did plant a couple of other passion vine on a different trellis. They are growing but haven't bloomed yet.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 5, 2010
6:02 AM

Post #7765771

Charlotte, you are like the rest of us, we have so many plants in so many places, we just can't keep it all straight
Kenny, if you had kept your Mamma Kitty in the house and let her have her babies on your love seat--you would know where they are--LOL.
Kit spent a lot of time outside lately, so we thought she might have them outside, but no way - she never even asked to go out the day they were born.

Bonnie, your iris are beautiful--the storm put most of mine on the ground and they are still there. I am going to make some more pictures of the glads you like today, they are beautiful now.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #7765772

Oh my...all so pretty. Charlotte where did you get Liger iris and the white passion vine?
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

May 5, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #7765816

The amaryllis are in the ground and have done good for years. I figure if they made it this past winter they are good to go.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #7765831

Marilyn - I do have a few iris' I will probably be dividing and bringing to KA's - so I'll make sure you get some.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #7765854

thanks, Bonnie! check my list on her plant swap thread and see if I have anything you might want.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2010
6:34 AM

Post #7765859

Not to worry Marilyn - my intent is not to bring anything home! lol. We will see. lol.
I may even gather up some yard art that I don't use anymore and see if anyone wants it. lol. I have got to get rid of some stuff somehow.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #7765879

Bonnie, you are liable to cause a stampede if you bring yard art! LOL We are always on the lookout for whimsical yard art over here in central Arkansas! I want to get some of those blue bottles that Charlotte has on her fence. Guess I need to make a trip to the Dollar Store and see if I can find some. I promise to pour out the yucky stuff inside, Charlotte! LOL
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 5, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #7766037

Beautiful blooms and beautiful kittens...
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
10:45 AM

Post #7766568

I need to go fishin i'm about ready for a big mess of catfish

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2010
11:02 AM

Post #7766606

Ohhh - I had one of them the other day KA. Like to have scared me to death. I had to save it to show DH, then he wasn't all that impressed, so I fed it to my turtles.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
11:48 AM

Post #7766708

LOL, speaking of turtles, Darren and I planted all those crepe myrtles out front today and we found a baby turtle. it' was so cute. I brought it down to the creek beside our house. I didn't know you had turtles.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2010
12:46 PM

Post #7766868

Did you see that 55 gal tank above Walter that was empty with green water ? Thats where the turtles live. They were in a temporary cage down at the fish pond I think when we had the party. I thought they needed some natural vitamin D. I have them back in the aquarium now.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2010
1:04 PM

Post #7766915

That is some worm, Kathy Ann! I find big worms like that all the time when I am out digging in my garden or pulling weeds. That horse manure grows some really big worms! LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #7766920

I saw that tank Bonnie, you still have walter? poo r baby needs a home doesn't he.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 5, 2010

Post #7767028

I guess we better continue the May pictures, I will start a new thread soon
Here is the byzantine glad

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 5, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #7767030

Another clump of them that get morning shade

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 5, 2010
1:49 PM

Post #7767034

Terrye, I did not lose the Cliffords Blueberry Sundae spiderwort, I just thought it was a daylily !!!

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 5, 2010
1:50 PM

Post #7767036

Watsonia, peeking up through the bee balm

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 5, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #7767051

new thread here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1094545/

amsonia

Thumbnail by slcdms

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #7767136

I was wondering what that orange flower was on FB, now I see, that's pretty.

thanks for the new thread.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 5, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #7767156

It has some grass like foliage, in fact the foliage is completely hidden by the bee balm

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America