Photo by Melody

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: DD 1st 2010 MAY PLANT SWAP PT 2 SEND & REC"D

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 173, Views: 1,160
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2010
3:43 PM

Post #7752133

WE CAME FROM HERE : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1087673/
DD PLANT & WISH LIST : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/985206/

THIS IS FOR PLANTS ONLY

OK Everyone has their Partners & this is just For 5 Nice Plants to share with your Partner either from your Garden Or something you Bought Speacial NO MATTER. & If You Have More to send that is up to you .

TRY TO GET 1 Plant On Their WISH LIST IF YOU CAN >
If You Cannot that is ok But SEND PLANTS ALSO IN WITCH YOU WOULD BE HAPPY TO RECEIVE .

ALL BOXES MUST BE MAILED BY MAY 18TH

PLEASE POST A PICTURE OF YOUR PLANTS & BE SURE TO POST FEEDBACK FOR YOUR PATNER.
THANK YOU ALL
SUSIE

This message was edited May 1, 2010 6:44 AM

Thumbnail by deejay9
Click the image for an enlarged view.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7752136

PLAYERS
DEEJAY9 -----REC'D
ELFS_GARDEN---REC'D
RVNSBRK------REC'D
CAT64129-----REC'D
MAXINE------REC'D
MOMOFTWO-----REC'D
FOTV---REC'D
HAPPGARDEN----REC'D
MAXINE-----REC;D
IRISLOVR252----REC'D
BLUEPOPPY ------REC'D
JANAESTONE------REC'D

PTILDA---&---CATBIRDSUE

This message was edited May 22, 2010 6:12 AM

This message was edited May 28, 2010 5:50 PM

This message was edited May 29, 2010 4:45 PM

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #7752137

WE NEED ANOTHER PLAYER TO SHARE WITH prettypeony
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #7752879

Maxine, I have a huge ugly list on "DIRT DIGGERS " PLANT LIST. I bumped it up to the top of Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins. Alot of us who have been together for awhile are listed on there.
ptilda
Spooner, WI

April 30, 2010
9:08 PM

Post #7753092

I'm having fun with this one! :)
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 1, 2010
4:20 AM

Post #7753543

Found it! If I would learn to take my time reading instead of fast forwarding or speed reading, I would be ok!

In my next life I am going to have to learn patience.

Maxine
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2010
12:00 AM

Post #7756170

Patience...we need that...LOL

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2010
5:41 AM

Post #7756423

BLUEPOPPY & JANAESTONE are you Both ok with the set up I Need to know if your Both still with us or not ??

If anyone is not in the address forum here Please mail your address to your Partner .
up-date on my Babies :))) they love to sit on my arm :)

Thumbnail by deejay9

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2010
5:44 AM

Post #7756427

here they are waiting to jump on me :)

Thumbnail by deejay9

bluepoppy
Landisburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #7757886

yes I am still in...
My wish list would be for Japanese Iris, Spider or spoon mums for zone 6, spider daylilies and late blooming daylilies...or anything really...

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2010
4:02 PM

Post #7757893

ok thank you Blue janaestone do you still want to play ???? if so then you & pooy are partners :)))
Have fun all .
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #7760214

Yes, I'm still in - very busy weekend around here and I had no time to get on DG.
My wish list would be for Vera Jameson or Xenox sedums, or pupletop vervain (verbena bonariensis)

I love any and all perennials and I have both shade and sun areas in my yard.

So glad I have a partner - Yay!

Di

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #7761177

Nice to have you with us .
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2010
5:31 AM

Post #7762659

Had my first iris pop up today. :) Urban Star miniature

Thumbnail by momoftwo607

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #7763195

momoftw, what a cutie that little iris is.
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2010
12:20 PM

Post #7763658

I came home from my dentist appt. and another iris popped up! "being busy"

Thumbnail by momoftwo607

momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #7763661

and another 'dark vader'

Thumbnail by momoftwo607

Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 4, 2010
1:24 PM

Post #7763851

Weeding out dandelions and red sorrel plus another weed from one lily bed.

Maxine

Cherry Curls SDB

Thumbnail by Maxine

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #7764676

Maxine Lookie what Opened today :))) I Just Love it & Can hardly wait for the pink one to open :)))

HERE IS ORANGE PELE :))) I'm So So Pleased with all the dwarfs you shared with me :))) TY TY TY .
susie

Thumbnail by deejay9

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #7764678

BLUE SPARKS

Thumbnail by deejay9

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #7764680

CHERRY GARDEN

Thumbnail by deejay9

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #7764681

PATA CAKE

Thumbnail by deejay9

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #7764682

ICE ETCHING

Thumbnail by deejay9

cat64129
(Cathy), MO

May 5, 2010
10:50 AM

Post #7766581

If no one else jumps in, I can do a double and send to prettypeony also. just let me know

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #7766620

Oh My Did I FORGET PRETTYPEONY I'm So sorry . are you still watching if you like cat4129 said she would love to do a trade with you are you up to this yet ???? Please let us know here . ok

BUBBEEZ Thank you so so so Much I Got a very very nice Box today
I REC"D :)) HEHEHE

HELTER SKELTER -----DL
YELLOW EXPLOSION-----DL
SHORES OF TIME ----DL
WEB OF INTRIGUE-----DL
CITY LIGHTS TB IRIS
DWARF IRIS ---UNKNOWN BUT SO PRETTY BY THE PICTURE
A PURPLE SPIKE PLANT I HOPE TO GIVE US A NAME ONCW IT BLOOMS
COREOPSIS -----BABY SUN
STRAWBERRY PLANTS ----- OZARK BEAUTY

OFF TO GO GIVE THEM ALL A GOOD DRINK OF WATER & MAYBE A LITTLE BEER :))) PERK THEM UP AS HAPPY AS I'AM :) ...

i WILL GET YOURS OUT ON MONDAY thank you again .
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2010
12:25 PM

Post #7772745

From Erin, I received a very generous box of healthy perennials securely packed and labeled.

Heuchera "Cappuchino"
Salvia "May Night"
Lungwort
Daylily "Chocolate Splash"
Blue Columbine
Veronica Speedwell "Georgia Blue"
Blanket Flower
Lupine "Merello Cherry"
Astilbe "Taquetti"
and English Bluebell bulbs for Fall planting.

Erin, you absolutely made my day sharing plants from your garden to mine. Whohoo...my 1st Lungwort, Heuchera and Astilbe...LOL. Can you tell I'm excited? I love everything you shared and am planting them tomorrow when we cool back down to 80. I'm also planning to mail yours on Monday and will D-mail the delivery confirmation number to you. Thank you, sweetie!

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 7, 2010
1:21 PM

Post #7772865

Oh fruit for some of your warmth.
its at 45 for temp with a very cold rain. We need the rain, but not the cold. They are talking freeze warning tonight and tomorrow night.
Must have been why I held off setting out tomatoes, peppers, squash and pickles. Squash and pickles are at least 5" tall in the greenhouse.

Maxine
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #7772882

Fruitcake you will love the lungwort. I had some at one the buildings we used to do. One end of the building was really shaded and I did tiarella and lungwort there. This time of the year it was gorgeous.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
2:11 PM

Post #7772989

LUNGWORT ???? HOW DID YOU RATE ??? VERY NICE Box Way to go erin .

it is storming very bad here they have tonado warning out & Its just dad & I here tonight
margaret went to her daughters place in IND .

My computor went bonkers this morning so had to do a factory restore & Now i have to go get my up-dates done so you all have a great evening , BUBBEEZ Your Box will be going out on MONDAY OR TUESDAY . Pending on weather .

gn all
catbirdsue
Arnett, WV
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2010
2:21 PM

Post #7773025

I mailed out Ptildas pkg on the 4th. She should be getting it any minute now. LOL I cant wait I am so exicited!! I worked really hard on that box. I so so hope she likes it.

Cathy

momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
3:01 PM

Post #7773105

The only plant that I was worried about was the lupine 'merello cherry' cuz I grew that from seed. I am glad that you like everything you received. I am more than happy to share! :) We are suppose to get snow flurries saturday night,yuck! So the new plants I picked out for my birthday from my hubby will have to wait to be planted until monday! Just got back from the zoo so I am gonna go cook some dinner!

Erin
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #7773176

Everything arrived in wonderful condition, Erin. If the Blue Columbine wasn't blooming when you mailed it, it had a bloom when it arrived. Such healthy plants, many look like they're almost grown. I had no idea you grew the Lupine from seed. That makes it even more special. After our long Winter, snow is officially a 4-letter word!

We supposed to cool down to the low 80's or high 70's tomorrow, Maxine, and Sunday will be more like our normal temps this time of year in the 60's and there's a chance of rain. We need rain so badly.

Ha Ha! Erin and I worked out the Lungwort. Y'all know what a nut I am over foliage.

That must have been a gorgeous site, Neener, with the Tiarella.

momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
4:08 PM

Post #7773284

It must have bloomed in the box! thats funny! I didn't know what color it was so I just marked it columbine.

Erin
ptilda
Spooner, WI

May 7, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #7773583

Snow? Are you kidding me? Argh! At least I already have some of Cathy's stuff in the house. Not only is it snow, but it's slushy snow that's weighing down branches & looks like it's liable to break some stuff! So, I might be doing more shopping for your box than I expected! :) Should be sent in the next day or so.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #7773598

we had tornado watches out earlier in the day but all clear now But they say Up NORTHERN MICH Is Getting Snow Oh How I How we do not get it . My Irises are all Just Loaded with Buds .

well i have the dinner to dp tomorrow so see you all later in the afternoon .

susie
catbirdsue
Arnett, WV
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7773717

ptilda your box should arrive tomorrow.

Cathy
ptilda
Spooner, WI

May 7, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #7773994

Great! I'm excited!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2010
4:54 AM

Post #7774568

Well ya know Columbines like shade...LOL

Susie, here's Thai Orange you sent me last year. It literally glows and is loaded with buds.TY!

momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2010
5:01 AM

Post #7774574

What a beautiful iris. I don't believe I have an orangey ones. I will have to look for one now! :)

Erin

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7774734

SUSAN NICE BRIGHT ORANGE :) IT IS ONE OF MY FAVS MY TB ARE FULL OF BUDS JUST TO COLD & WET HERE TODAY TO OPEN RIGHT NOW :( BUT GOING TO WARM UP THIS NEXT WEEK I HOPE :)

BELIEVE It or not I have run out of gardening room i trully need to revamp a couple gardens :)
My Friend val will be back on Monday to help me get the rest of my BOXES Out Then there will be time to revamp them all .

well i have to get ready to get out of here soon so you all have a great day .
susie

PRINCE OF BURGANDY

Thumbnail by deejay9

ptilda
Spooner, WI

May 8, 2010
10:57 AM

Post #7775382

Oh my goodness, it's just like Christmas, and not just because of the snow (which is all gone, by the way). I got my box! Thank you SO much, Cathy!

She sent:
Candy Dish Hosta (on my "top wants" list)
English Wood Hyacinths
Galaxy Explosion DL
Heuchera (no name on it, did you know the name?)
Heucherella (looks like Stoplight, but not quite as bright as the photos & no name on it)
Lambs Ear
Rattlesnake Orchids (finding out zoning info on this... REALLY excited if it will grow for me)
A cute little ceramic pink mushroom that will look great in the hosta garden
Plant markers & pen (can never have too many of these)

Thank you SO much! I'm overjoyed!
catbirdsue
Arnett, WV
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2010
12:05 PM

Post #7775478

The huechera is purple palace the huecherella is a seedling off of stoplight
ptilda
Spooner, WI

May 8, 2010
12:55 PM

Post #7775575

Perfect! Do you know if rodents are inclined to munch on the Wood Hyacinth Bulbs? We have a lot of squirrels around here that eat everything they can get their grubby little paws on, & I potted everything & put it on the porch, but don't want to put those out if they'll be gone tomorrow.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2010
1:49 PM

Post #7775655

I have not had problems with anything munching on my bulbs but I Have learned to put my bulbs into large pots sit down into the ground :) So Maybe I just out smarted them :)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #7775739

Nice plants there, ptilda, and way to go catbirdsue! We don't have that problem either, knock on wood, and that's a clever way to plant them, Susie.

Beardtongue and a yellow Primrose were blooming today. See anything familiar, Neener?

ptilda
Spooner, WI

May 8, 2010
2:53 PM

Post #7775752

I think I'll try the pot idea. I've also seen people make cages out of chicken wire, but I don't want to do that unless really necessary.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #7775760

Cold here to day, 60's with awful winds. The poor peonies and iris have just taken a beating. I cut a big bouquet of iris and they smell wonderful!

Went to the iris farm and bought two more packages. I need to stay away from there! LOL

Sorry for you all suffering with snow, awful! 60 and windy is making me tired!

Here is a fav of mine.

Thumbnail by happgarden

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #7775776

We've had high winds today too and tonight and tomorrow night's temps are dipping into the upper 30's (again). You and that Iris farm...lol Beautiful pic BTW!

This Peony bloom smells heavenly, just wish you all had smell-a-vision.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #7775848

No SmellAVision But We do Have Mailavission :))) So Pretty My Proble of the Lilies is once they get uo to about 2ft tall the deer MUNCH Them off . so I have a Bar of Irish Spring all around the big garden to see if I can keep them out so far it is working .

WOW What a day we had 78 at the Dinner NOT Much Left over Witch was good , I just packed it up & Took it over to terry;s , I'm ready to lay back & rest up so I will be back in the morning .

gn all
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #7775942

Hee Hee Fruity I see it... Very nice primrose. Mine are coming up but you are way ahead of us here.
ptilda
Spooner, WI

May 8, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7776027

happgarden, I had to smile at your description of the "cold" 60 degrees. We're enjoying the "warm" 50 degrees today! :)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #7776276

We'll be lucky to reach the high 60's tomorrow and Monday, ptilda, our normal temps this time of year, and it'll be refreshing after our unseasonably high temps the last two weeks in the 80's and 90's, not counting our early humidity.

The Primrose was a late addition last fall, Neener, and is the only one I have...so far. Is it normal for them to have droopy heads before they bloom? That's what mine did even after I watered it faithfully.

That's one of the Peony's my neighbor let me dig last Fall from her Mother's homeplace, Susie. Mine is still kinda scrawny and I was surprised to have a bud this year that actually opened. We have a deer problem here too. Whenever I've used Irish Spring soap, they just stomped it in the ground and keep on munching. This year I've left wild garlic growing where they come up in the gardens and have been sprinkling Cayenne pepper flakes here and there, waiting on my homemade Liquid Fence recipe to putrify. Deer don't like hot peppers or garlic, plus I planted Alliums willy nilly last Fall, many were in the mix of bulbs your sent me. Now I don't know which ones are wild and which ones are cultivated, but who cares since the deer are leaving my plants alone?!

Here's a Fuchsia Peony in my neighbor's yard on April 22nd and is another one taken from her Mother's homeplace. Last year it had two blooms and this year it had three til her husband weed whacked the third bloom. Man was she furious!

Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2010
4:01 AM

Post #7776856

Happy Mothers Day!!!!!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2010
4:40 AM

Post #7776906

SENDING HAPPY MOTHERS DAY Wishes To All

Very Heavy Frost last night See if I trust the news people any more :( these maybe the last pictures I share of the irises if they all got frosted off last night won't know yet till later in the day .

BLACK CHERRY DELIGHT

Thumbnail by deejay9

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #7777167

Deejay don't even day the "F" word. I can't believe you had that again. Enough! I am watching a hummer outside my office window right now. They finally got here. Only saw a couple so far, but at least they are around.

My Mom wanted to come today so she could sit out and listen to the wood thrushes in the backyard. It's do cold we may go ahead and light a fire in the fire pit.

Fruity I don't remember my primrose being droopy. i'll have to pay attention since mine are behind yours right now. I got a small plant ears ago at HD for Bob. They are growing, but not really thriving. Probably not enough sun.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #7777301

Neener Sorry For the "F" Word But Its Better the the "S" Word Right :) ????
SUN IS OUT But only 41* Right now so going to go bake daddy a pie for mothers day beings its only he & I today :)

& Still to COLD To Be out side yet . you all have a Great DAY
susie
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #7777428

Sun's out but it's chilly and windy again, had to put on a pair of sweats and fuzzy socks.

Elfie, you have a safe trip home.

Happy Mother's Day, Everyone!
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 9, 2010
8:45 AM

Post #7777438

Happy Mothers day everyone.

Was out in the greenhouse transplanting plants and then dead headed and cut off dead canes of my black berry bushes.
transplanted also a couple of SDB iris while they were blooming so I know where they are at.

31 here this morning, but fog rolled in big time, so doubt if we recd. any frost. Didn't see anything on my early potatoes.
No wind so far, but jippers, I don't know where to start on the work!

Every one have a great day.

Maxine

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #7777582

I wanted to go dig & wash plants today to ship out tomorrow but it is so dang windy & Cold out there I just cannot do it . So Guess it is going to be a day of rest after all :)

even sweet pea wants to stay in . :) so guess i will go look up plants I Just have to have thanks HAPP
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #7778744

Hey all just letting you know I made it home!! We got everything here safely and it took forever to unpack the SUV, I am worn out and looking foward to sleeping in my own bed. Will get pics to show everyone tomarrow. Night,,,
Elf

momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2010
4:27 AM

Post #7779448

My poor irises! Stinkin' freeze warnings anyways! >:O Poor things are curled right over and I had them covered. Guess I will have to find a thicker blanket! And I was worried about my peonies! Geesh!

momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2010
6:37 AM

Post #7779755

Happy Birthday Elf! :)

Thumbnail by momoftwo607

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2010
6:47 AM

Post #7779786

That stinks, Erin. On a happier note, your box of plants have flown!

momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #7779806

fly package! fly! :) Can't wait to see what you sent me!!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #7781548

Hey all Just wanted to let BUBBEEZ Know that I Will work on your box WEDS For sure
& Get it in the mail on weds . so you should have it by Friday Or sat.
I Trull wanted to get it out today But I Had 4 others to get out On top of cooking for dad
chansing sweet pea down to get my plants she was trying to drag off .

I Sure got a work out today Time for a shower & Coffee :)))

Good Nite All
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7781821

I received my box today from cat64129! The box was loaded with:

Clematis - "Dr Ruppel"
Astilbe - "Fanal"
Lilies - Time Out, Tiger Woods, and Stargazer
Hosta - "Fire and Ice"
Lamium - "Anne Greenway"
Canna - "Rosemond Cole"
Geramium - "Giuseppii"

Thanks Cathy! Hopefully I can get them in the ground or at least potted up this week. Storms, rain, and cold temps are supposedly heading our way. UGH!

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #7781902

Sweetpea's turning into a ham, Susie. If you haven't found a partner for prettypeony, let me know...I'll be glad to share.

What a very nice assortment of new plants you have there, irisluvr0252. So glad Cathy made your day! We've in a a cool snap too and need rain so badly. It's in the forecast but will be hit or miss the next few days.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #7782006

irisluver, what a nice bunch of plants...really nice.

Sorry for all of you having freezing weather. We are having horrible winds and downpours!
I will never get anything dug, or planted...dang
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 11, 2010
3:59 AM

Post #7782596

What a nice gift of plants! Happ, yours went out in yesterdays mail.

Welcome back Elf, sorry I didn't say HAPPY BIRTHDAY. If you are like me, its just another day in the week.

Recd. rain last night, amount ? Cloudy and windy here this morning. Temp is going to be only 45 today for a high.
Have pails over my squash in the garden. Doubt if I will take them off the plants today.
I do have to get plants dug tomorrow for the Iowa RU which we will leave on Friday when I get home from driving.
Lots to do before that.

Maxine
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #7782651

Rain heading our way today too. Gonna hang out and play inside today. My box is going out this morning. Hope I did OK on this one. Since I didn't have anything to divide I just bought some things on my buddies list.

irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2010
5:12 AM

Post #7782704

It started raining here last night around 9:30 or 10:00. Been raining ever since...sometimes it pours. I did get my box of plants dug last night and will be taking it to the PO today to send on its way to Cathy.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #7782740

NEENER : I'm Sure she will be pleased Guess we are just going to have to get you into a few more swaps so you can get a good selection in your gardens :))) then next year you won;t have to buy anything to share :))))

IT Is RAINY & COLD But NO "F" :)OR "S" So I May Have some Blooming Irises yet this week :)
I'm Also going to be staying in today .

Susan As for my JUNE Swap HAPP/JOYCE Had come up With the IDea of SENDING OUR PARTNER A PLANT
NAMED AFTER HER> Or a Member of Their family If they wish .
SO IT Will be called the "NAME DROPPER SWAP "
OR Has ANYONE A Better NAme for it Please let me know . Since I Have to stay in the House today I Guess I can work on that & Will give you all plenty of time to Know if you want to Join us or NOT. I AM Going To CHANGE THE Guideline Just a bit :))) .

I Also will have time today to go over MY Partners wish list & So I Can Get her Box out this week yet RAINY TODAY , SUnny TOMORROW :)

well Happy Gardening
OH & HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY ELF :)
Susan : Sweetpea is like a kitten wants to play Here is where she is Right now
watching TV While Goldie wants out side :))

Thumbnail by deejay9

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #7782930

Susie that is a hilarious picture.

I'm hoping when we are fully retired and move away from the woods that I will be able to have a better selection. Then I will really be in some trades to get some fun things. My problem here is I have an extensive garden that survives, but doesn't thrive because of lack of light. So I have a lot of different plants, but they don't progress as fast as you folks that have full sun. Almost nothing ever needs to be divided here except the irises.

Cold and getting ready to rain now.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #7783124

New JUNE SWAP OPEN FOR SIGN UP HOPE TO SEE YA THERE >

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1096116/
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2010
12:35 PM

Post #7783936

Well I have lots of boxes packed up now. I worked on plants all day yesterday. Waiting on my brother to get here so he can take all of the boxes to the post office. Juanita, I sure hope you like what I came up with for you. I worked hard to get mostly shade loving plants so it should work out.

Thanks to everyone for the Birthday wishes. Mine was great and got my last present from Ralph today!! He got me a pretty copper colored Bistro Set for the gardens. Now we will have somewhere to sit when we get tired outside!!!

I am off to plant more plants!!
TTYL
Elfie
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #7784162

Can't wait Elfie!! Yours are on the way too.
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7784782

Neener,, I have the funniest story to tell you and I have to wait til you get your box. It is killing me not to tell this!!

Going back out to plant some more plants,,,sigh,,, I think I seriously got carried away this time!!!

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7785051

You lucky Girl! Ralphie's so thoughtful surprising you a bistro set...especially with your penchant for anything copper. When did he had time to sneak that one in? I can't wait to hear the funny story!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #7785979

BUBBEEZ : Sorry NOT Going to be today it is still way to cold for me to get out side to dig & It is still very wet out there . all I can do is sit inside . with dad today .
MAKES HIM Happy . For when its like this I bake for him :)
Not sure what its going to be today but i better go check it out :)

happy gardening & Stay safe .

susie
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2010
6:26 AM

Post #7786028

My box to cat64129 is ready to go! DH will be taking it to the PO today. Will post confirmation # when I get it. Hope you like them Cathy!
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2010
9:24 AM

Post #7786581

Fruit I have not received your box? Maybe tomorrow. I did get a box from North Carolina though.

Erin
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2010
10:46 AM

Post #7786780

I got 4 boxes sent off in the mail yesterday,, now just have to remember why I sent who what??? I am comfused,,,lol

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #7786847

THAT IS WHY YOU NEED TO HAVE A MONTHLY CALENDAR PUT THE NAME OF THE SWAP & to who you are to send to & Mark it sent when you send Along with the conf# name of the swap in the box to your partner so they know what swap it is for also, & can Post a thank you for that swap . :)))

that is why we all need to start doing this to every box we send out it is no fun to get a box with the plants or items just placed in the box with not a note as to what swap it is for , or from who many do not put their usersname or their name.

i received plants one time laying in the box of dirtas if they were all dug up from one little spot in the garden no note nothing only a post mark from the state you might say I was just a little ticked.

Hey friend I Have to ask is there any of you here that might have any extra plant pots
Black , orange ,green small to large that your not using . I trully need some right away .
I would be happy to trade some plants for the postage to send them or Just send you the postage .
dmail me if you might have .
thank you .

Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2010
12:41 PM

Post #7787120

Juanita,, your was one of the 4 boxes I sent out.

Delivery Confirmation™ # 9405 5036 9930 0230 2224 48

This message was edited May 12, 2010 5:08 PM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2010
1:20 PM

Post #7787230

Erin, I just knew it would be there today but it's close. Check your D-mail for the latest update from USPS.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2010
1:42 PM

Post #7787318

Elfie that wasnot meant to be harsh on you I was just saying we all sign up to so many swaps & I'm GUILTY Of it also But Have since learned it helps Both the receiver & Giver when there is a name & Usersname in the box , so we can thank them .

It was not aimed at you althought I Mentioned getting you a calender to put dates & Swaps in It Was not meant in a bad way . Please I'm getting house-a-toes-ses with all the cold wet weather i hate being inside so I'm getting grankie but not at any of my friends .

FORGIVE ME . I Think I Better get out of the house & Go Play BINGO Tonight .
you all be well & Be safe
susie
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #7788402

Terrible storms here.
Maxine, I have some things ready, but waiting for something else. Should of been here by now...so sad. I wanted to mail no later than today, but that isn't happening. DH just told me there are two boxes in his truck, but I am not going out there right now...LOL

Later
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 13, 2010
4:02 AM

Post #7788894

That OK, Happ as I am leaving tomorrow late afternoon for the Iowa RU. Have attended every yr. but the first two.
Met some very nice people and now they are great friends.

Hope you got you package as I didn't send it with a paper stating that you recd. it. I FORGOT
Am I forgiven?? Hope so!! LOL
Too dang much on my pea sized brain right now.

Recd. rain last night, amount ?

Maxine
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7789295

Maxine, finally made it to the truck at 4:30am while trying to get ready for work, the storms let up finally! And there is a lovely box from you, I got to open it and peak inside for just a sec, I made sure everything looked good and put it in a cool dark place in the garage until I get home tonight. Can't wait to get home and take pictures, it is lovely full of great plants! Would love to go to the IA roundup maybe next year, it isn't that far from me.

The greenhouse we had our MG meeting in is no longer standing! Someone at work told me it is on the news...feel terrible for them.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #7789468

happ just went over & I watch the video of the GH Lost & Bill Talking to the News lady Just happy they are safe .
here is the link if anyone wants to look .

http://www.kmbc.com/video/23540302/index.html

momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2010
9:40 AM

Post #7789790

FOTV (Susan) Thank you for all the awesome plants!! I love them all. And the kids thank you for all the cool bubble wrap!! It keeps them entertained for a long time!! :) That makes me happy!

Erin

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2010
9:52 AM

Post #7789828

I Have put up a new link for our have & wish list Link for the old one was getting to be to much for some . so hope everyone that wants to stay with us will be able to copy & Paste your list to the new link or put a Link to whare we can see your wants & Haves .

Just remember it is NOT A CHAT THREAD Just List Your Haves & Wants >>>>>>>

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1096828/
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2010
9:58 AM

Post #7789854

FOTV: The only one I could find a plant file for was daylily Dacquiri. A whole bunch of different ones came up.

Erin
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #7790783

Here's the links to the Daylilies. If you need links to the other plants I sent you, just let me know.

Daylily "Always Afternoon": http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/7023/
Daylily "Cool Jazz": http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/10665/
Daylily "Dacquiri": http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/10152/

If you plant these in full sun in an area that drains well, they should bloom for you this year. Daylilies don't grow very well in shady places, too much water rots the crown and not enough light stunts their growth and blooms.

I grew the Blackberry Lily from happgarden's seeds. How cool is that? I added it as an extra since it's still a seedling. If your Phlox "Becky Towe" doesn't take off, let me know and I'll replace it. That's the only one I was a little worried about.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7790860

SO ERIN Can you please let us know what you received maybe some of us have it & Can tell you mOre as to how it grows for us .

& As for daylilies in the shade Susan is right many do not like the shade Not saying all but there are many that just do better in fun sun .
but would like to know what all you received :))

Susan I Have candy lilies that are my absolute favs in the garden :)
incase the picture will not inlarge you can go to the link it should then .

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a129/skohler1949/100_1178.jpg

Thumbnail by deejay9

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #7790863

here is my blackberry lilies

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a129/skohler1949/100_1179.jpg

incase this pic won't inlarge

Thumbnail by deejay9

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7790971

DG Admin must be working on early updates before they shut down for maintenance tonight cause the clocks are way out of whack.

Susie, I can't remember if it was last June or July when you sent me a Candy Lily in one of my first DD plant swaps. I had never heard of it or a Blackberry Lily either and just love both of them. Here's an old pic last August when the Candy Lily you shared with me bloomed.

Most of you know I started from scratch last year since I'd been traveling with my hubby and his job for the previous 4-1/2 years. It's such a pleasure walking through my gardens now and seeing so many different plants you all have shared with me. That just makes them even more special to me.

momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #7791089

FOTV, The daylily 'dacquiri' you sent me in the swap, I couldn't find a plant file for. Wondering if you could help me out. :) Erin
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7791221

Sure thing, Erin.

Daylily "Dacquiri": http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/10152/

Check my post just above Susie's tonight to find links to the 3 Daylilies I sent you. And also let me know if you need help with any of the other perennials you received. Hope all do well for you :)

momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #7791291

Got all the other ones, that one I just couldn't fine. :) Erin
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2010
8:42 PM

Post #7791543

Guys, I got some great plants from Maxine. Got home tonight and got everything out and they are in great shape. She also sent a lovely card, that I figured out Maxine had made. Sorry I am such a bad photographer.
I got:
SDB iris - NOID peachy color, which is one of my favorite color
SDB iris - fantsy fling
Anemone - sylvestris really excited about this I don't have any
Lily - Samur, looked it up it is beautiful
Rose Campion
Lily Asiatic - Sorbet
Lily - Netties Pride
Heuchera - Checkers huge bunch, beautiful
Hosta - NOID, but really big and in great condition!
Then the biggest plant of all in the box, but I don't know what it is. Maxine you will need to help me out.
Amazing amount of plants and were in great shape.
What a wonderful swap buddy!

Thumbnail by happgarden

Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 14, 2010
4:02 AM

Post #7791713

The one you didn't know is "Sensation" lilac. Lt. lavender color with white edging around each petal. I love it, of course I love all plants that flower.
The hosta blooms in Aug. [have it below my kitchen window where we eat] blossoms white, and the aroma [spelling] is great. Hummers love it!

so glad that you liked what I choose for you.

Maxine

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2010
4:10 AM

Post #7791721

GM All SUNSHINE COMING MY WAY :))) I Hope to get in the garden today So I can get my partners Box off In the air today . More then likely I will try to send it out on sat so it don't have to sit in a post Office anywhere.

you all have a great weekend oh my today is friday where did my week go thought it was thursday
hehe chat later in the day .

Erin Would like to know what you received

This message was edited May 14, 2010 6:12 AM
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2010
5:03 AM

Post #7791810

I received from FOTV :

No id hosta
Tiger lily 'citronella'
Blackberry lily
Common toad lily
Phlox 'Becky Towe'
Centaurea 'Amethyst in Snow'
Aster 'Prf. Kippenberg'
Coreopsis 'Red shift'
Speedwell 'Alba'
Mum 'Stacy'

I can't wait to see them bloom! Thanks again FOTV! :)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2010
5:14 AM

Post #7791831

Very nice plants thank you for sharing with us :) off to the great out doors
you all have a great day
susie
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #7792266

Erin, the NOID hosta, which is sun tolerant, begins with variegated leaves in Spring and then they turn solid green toward the end of Summer. Some of mine have scapes and will be blooming in a few days and will re-bloom in late Summer or early Fall. Oh, I started out last year with 12 clumps the size I sent you and here's how they look today. Enjoy everything!

Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2010
9:57 AM

Post #7792459

Ohhhhh, just got my huge box from Juanita/ neener!!

I hit the jackpot with the following:
A special hand made card! Lovely!! This will get framed to hang with the other cards we get!
5 pounds mixed caladiums
40 purple/lilac gladioi
9 yellow/orange cacun lilies
3 EE's colocasia
3 canna lily tropical yellow
and last but not least a clay/glazed hedgehog for the Gnome garden!!

Juanita,, my box was not nearly as full as your I need to send you more!!!lol

Got to go and plant. Will take pics later of my haul.. Ralph took the camersa to the school to get pics of Gryphons awards>

TTYL
a very excited Elfie
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2010
11:20 AM

Post #7792663

Yippee!!! Elfie glad you like them all. I had a hard time and don't worry about your box. It will be fine.

I saw that hedgehog and I have one that I love.

Hugs to you both,
Neener
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2010
2:10 PM

Post #7792972

Wow, Elfie, you are gonna be digging and planting for days between your awesome box from Neener and your vacation haul. Let's do keep track of the hosta and compare notes. That one was the first to emerge in late February, photo is from April 8th. BTW, the Fire & Ice you sent me last year started peeking out last week, so I didn't lose it after all. Will keep you posted and you do the same. OTAY?

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #7792985

Does anyone recognize this gorgeous flower? Susie, it was in the mix of bulbs you sent me last Fall and the bloom is from Mother's Day.

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #7793094

Fruit that looks like a Dutch Iris. They are great cutting flowers. :0)
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #7793124

hummmm, don't know if I will have time for anything. I got soooo much to plant now!!! But I do have to say the yellow canna is Perfect!! We just got a bunch of red, orange, and mixed color ones and we needed a yellow!! So Neener hit that one on the head. And how did she know we ran out of caladium bulbs to frame the fairy garden?? We are really excited about the lilac/purple Glads, we have never seen any of those. Ralph helped me pot up the cajun lily bulbs, they were trying to escape the bag!!!! And wait till you all see Goobers hedge hog,, just knew it was to good to be true that it was for me,,,sigh... And last but not least my giant EE's did not come back this year, so the replacement was just perfect timming. I was complaining and whinning about them just yesterday!! I think Neener has my house bugged!! lol
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #7793242

That's it, Neener. Thank you!

Ooh, Elfie, that sounds so pretty. If you decide to post a new thread about the Fairy garden this year, clue me in.

Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #7793444

Will do, I would like to get some of the fairy houses finished first. That is what defeated me last year, well that and the other problems...sigh..

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2010
3:44 AM

Post #7794152

GM MY Friends Kris Nice Box I Just planted My Cannas & Susan One Seed Has POPPED Up Of The canna Seeds you sent to me from the robin :) 3 Popped out but 2 got frozen for they were not close enough to the heater .
but I have more Seeds Going to plant. well lots to read this morning then its off to a great weekend out doors .

BUBBEEZ I Have found a few from your list I think your going to really enjoy :) Sorry for all the delays Cold,Wet weather more to come next week but hope to have yours packed & ready to mail Monday .

susie

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2010
9:13 AM

Post #7794810

Maxine, I have been out planting in the rain! DH thinks I have lost my mind or ready for the home...actually both! I didn't plant the lilac yet, but I am going back out in my rain coat and finish. I am so excited I love lilacs. I am putting it by the garden room where I spend all my time...so excited. Got the hosta and the checkerboard planted, along with the iris and all the rest of the loot...:D Your box will go out Monday. I finally go everything today...so heads up...

We all need one of those new cameras they are advertising where some rock star takes a big pic of her fans, then we can take big pics of our gardens...much better to see with...LOL

Every year I have this clematis that starts to grow and then turns yellow. I read somewhere to cut it back and let it start over which I do, if I don't it dries up and looks dead...it has to have some kind of problem, after I cut it back it comes up just beautiful...too wierd.

Going back out in the rain...need shorter jeans and longer rain coat...high water pants I guess is what you call them...LOL
Bubbeez
Fond Du Lac, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2010
11:22 AM

Post #7795069

Hey Susie-
Fantastic! I'm sure I'll love whatever you send! :)
-Bubbeez
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2010
12:58 PM

Post #7795222

Ooooooo Elfie..I got a box today. Everything is already planted too. I got 2 hostas, one that is for the sun, lambs ears, a coleus plant (thank you extra for that one ;0)), a fern, a persian shield, hens and chicks. Something that was labeled "Maraschino Cherry.".. I don't know what that is Elfie.. It sort of looks like it could be a lily, but I'm not up on lilies the way the rest of you are.

A really nice bunch of goodies. Many thanks to you and Goober. I could tell she helped you to label. :))

Neener

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk

Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #7795325

Neener, Marachino Cherry is a hosta too!! And now that you have your box I can tell the story!!
So I look on Juanitas want list last year when I had her for a swap and IU go looking for the persian shield, No luck. On and off for the last year I have looked for it thinking I could send it next time we get each other as a swap buddy. I looked on e-bay no luck. Looked at various online stores,, nope none. So gave up. Then I got you again this year and I decide to give it a go again and start looking. I found it on e-bay,,, but the guy would not sell me one said I had to buy 4 and for $20.00 plus shipping. So that was out. Then When we went on vacation I asked Bob if he had iny down in Tifton Ga. He said yes but was sold out,,,uhhhhhh!!! So I give them my # and say if you get some I will come back and get it. So we go on down to Jeykll Island. I am a woman on a mission now. I made ralph take me every where to look for the persian shield. Well low and behold we find it at Lowes and I buy 2 one for me and one for Juanita. Get back to the cottage and get a call from Bobs, they ordered 4 plants for me and I can pick them up on the way home.. uhhh,, now I have 6! So on the way home I get them and figure it is ok I can just use them some where. We get home and I go to walmart to get food and find a whole blooody table of them. Then I go to Home Depot and they have a huge display of them,,, All thast looking and all I had to do was go to Walmart...lol So I truely hope you like that plant Neener since it has cost me lots and lots of time to find it!! ROFLMWO!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #7795329

Nice plants and they look so perky!
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #7795612

Too funny Kris... I love that Persian Shield. Glad you told me about the hosta. I will move it tomorrow. I planted it in the lily area. Thought the leaves looked to broad for a lily, but what do I know. :0)

Thanks again sweetie!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #7795806

There's nothing like a woman on a serious plant hunt! Especially when it's for a special gift. And look what fun you had on your escapades, Elfie, searching all the way from GA back home to AL. Who would have ever thunk Wallyworld?

cat64129
(Cathy), MO

May 15, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #7796130

Hey everyone I got my box today! Debbie crammed it full of wonderful plants.! I love them all!!

I got...
Jack Frost Brunnera
Beverly Sills iris
Lily of the Valley(from Grandmas house which makes it even more special!)
May Night Salva
Caradonna Salva
Stella de Oro Daylilly
Whirlwind Japanese Anemone
A perrenial begonia
Old fashioned primrose

It's rained all day here so I put eveything in pots for now. I will put it all out when weather permits. You are tougher than me Joyce! :-) I'm not gonna plant in the rain unless I absolutely have to!! LOL

Thanks Debbie. You're the best!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2010
7:43 AM

Post #7797115

Cathy, What a great set of plant you got. I have a pretty big patch of May night salva, after the first flush of blooms I cut the dead blooms down and get another smaller group of blooms. I am not tougher just crazier...LOL I am going back out in a minute, not raining this second but 50, cloudy, windy, and wet. When did I move to Washington state? LOL Got some new iris up and blooming, will take some pics and post. Some have weighted down and fallen over from the winds and rain so I will have a pretty bouquet.

Going back out to the iris farm also, hopefully between rain clouds...LOL
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2010
11:12 AM

Post #7797673

Happ we've been bringing in iris for a week now. They keep getting beat up and knocked down. Have a big bunch on my kitchen table.

OK all you folks in the know. I bought a bag of EEs when I got Elfie hers. Never had any before. I was kind of under the impression that they were for shade, but the pack says sun to part shade. Can someone enlighten me. I almost planted them today because they are sprouting, but then I thought I better ask.

Neener
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #7797713

Neener, I plant mine in Sun, Shade and mixed so far nothing bothers mine. I also keep mine VERY wet and then others almost drought conditions. I find that they do best in a mix of shade and sun and kept moist. Then again I also have some growing in a ditch that always has 6 to 8 inches of water. So I am no expert. For your area I would recomend pots or digging them up in the winter. Mine will rot if they freeze where they were in water. I started out with two roots about 5 times larger than the ones you sent. One died after it got frozen in the bog garden. The other one which is in full sun and very dry has put out about 20 babies in the last two weeks. I am going to leave it be until this fall and will dig it up to devide and share. The ones you sent will be in the fairy garden and will have partial shade and semi-moist watering for that area. I hope this helps! I am by no means an expert.

I wanted to ask,, what does it take to go to the master gardening classes? I like to learn and would love to get better knowlege of the plants. Anyone have any ideas about his for me??

Elfie
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2010
11:30 AM

Post #7797731

You need to talk to FOTV Kris. She just finished the course. I think Happgarden is an MG too.

Thanks for the info. I think I know where I will put them.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #7798314

Elfie, try this website. http://209.133.251.124/information.asp or type in Alabama Master Gardner
It looks like it will lead you to the county that has your master gardener group in it.
You learn a lot and at least I learned I sure didn't know much, and then you will learn how wise so many people of DG are, course you already knew that...

I am hopes to get my package out Monday, I think everything has arrived and in good shape...yeah!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #7798529

Rain is Headed our way On Monday & Tuesday Not looking for it , But will except it :)
I Have BUBBEEZ Box Ready to go out tomorrow .

So Good Nite all . Been a very long day

susie
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #7800575

Elfie, why don't you call your local County Extension Office? They can give you the scoop on the phone or you could go by their office if that's convenient and talk to the Agent or MG on duty. Class here started in January and finished April 21st...50 hours of classroom time with 4 open-book at-home exams. Now I'm working on the required 50 hours of volunteer service on approved community projects. Hours have to be completed in a calendar year before I'm "official". We had awesome classes and presentations and I made lots of new gardening friends. Virginia Tech supplied our manuals all 500 pages. Tuition was $75 which was actually the cost of the manual, but tuition varies greatly state to state. Some counties have Junior MG classes too. Go for it and let us know what you find out!
ptilda
Spooner, WI

May 17, 2010
11:42 AM

Post #7801094

Just found out that the main portion of my buddy's box, which I was ordering from a local greenhouse, is on backorder because of the unexpected late snow (which destroyed much of the plants & created a shortage all over). I leave for my missions trip tomorow & get back the end of the month. So this time, I'll be the one holding things up! so sorry!

I am checking some local greenhouses, but so far, its either super expensive, or annuals (or WalMart, and while I wouldn't send WalMart plants to ANY swap buddy, in this case, they are horribly frost damaged from the snow & look horrendous). I'll post if I'm able to send something before I leave. If not, I'll send at the end of the month when I get home.

SO sorry!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2010
1:41 PM

Post #7801412

PT Can You Just do a gift card for this month for your swap Buddie . ???

Mine went out today Conf # 0309 3220 0000 9690 3644
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #7806865

bluepoppy and I talked yesterday and we're sending ours out to each other on Monday. I know it's past the date, but we have had a crazy few weeks and that works out well for us.

I'm so excited for everyone and I love how everyone posts what they received. I've never done one of these trades on here before and it's been so much fun just reading all the notes and getting things ready for my own shipment as well.

Thanks for including me on this one!

Di

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #7807539

Went to the po yesterday to mail and left the addresses at work. Least I didn't send it to the wrong person...LOL It went out this morning. Maxine has the tractor info.

I can't believe we are having rain again!!!! Rain for tomorrow predicted, we have had 1 full day out of 10 that it has not rained. I don't know how you guys make it that live in Washington state on the wet side...guess you do like I did last weekend and just go dig in the muck and mire...I am just not use to it. The hostas are soooo happy under those maple trees, for once they are getting a drink...LOL
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2010
1:50 PM

Post #7807920

I finally have the pics for what Juanita sent me. I really really need to finish planting these!! And I lost/missplaced the pic for the lilies!! So here they are!!
Pic # 1

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2010
1:53 PM

Post #7807927

I have the lilies potted up,, and they are very twisted from growing in the bag on the way here. They will be interesing looking this year and next year should look STUNING! This pic is of thier temp living arrangements. I am still planting all the plants from the school plant sale, my trips to Jacksonville, Brunswick, and Tifton,,sigh,, Then my nieghbor gace me LOADS of plants when I got back!! I am plant rich this year, whoo hoo!

THANKS AGAIN Neener. I love everything!!

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

Bubbeez
Fond Du Lac, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #7808199

Susie,

I got your box today and it is FANTASTIC!!!!! :)

Red Hot Poker
Magic Minstrel DL
Modern Pixie DL (I tried looking this up to see what it looks like and I can't find it?)
Black Gamecock LA Iris
Candy Apple Dwarf Iris
Noid Iris
Dianthus (Sweet William)
Cinnamon Fern
Gingersnap Iris (WHOO HOO!!!)
Varigated Iris

I had my Sweet William die this past winter but a small clump started growing at the other end of the garden this spring. It's pretty small so it's nice to have more plants to add to it!

I've been looking for woodland plants so the fern is up my alley! I'm especially excited about the Louisiana iris which I've never grown before and the Gingersnap iris (love plants with unique scents).

I LOVE all the plants Susie! Thanks so much! :)

-Angie
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #7808314

Saw my first hummer 10 minutes ago. Me and the kids are making hummer food for the feeders and taking them out in a few. EXCITED! :)

Erin
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2010
4:30 PM

Post #7808316

Nice Haul Bubbeez!! Love the good smelly plants!!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7808899

The GINGER SNAP Iris Smells Just Like root beer MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Love it .
as for the Modern Pixie I Had never found it anywhere I Bought it back in 2005-06 from the Lily Auction But Don't remember from who. its just been in the garden :)
Hope you like it .

As for the red Hot poker It is Going to go LIMP So Cut the Leave back They will grow back
Not sure if it will Bloom for you this year But it will or should next year.
& I Hope the Ginger snap will Bloom for you :))) .

I Just read that if you take
1tsp Epsom salt
1oz Sorgum Malasses
1 Tbs Baking Soda
1 Gal of water

it is great to soak roots of plants & Even spray plants when they are in Bloom .
well its been another long day .
have a great evening all .
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2010
2:54 PM

Post #7814575

Recd. Happ's package to me. Quite a haul.
1 yellow SDB iris
1 gold SDB iris
3 naked ladies
1 white cone flower, forget name now
Elodie lilies
Name please of lily that is marked my fav.
Ceasars brother sib. iris
Db. decker enchinacea

Thanks ever so much.

Maxine

Thumbnail by Maxine

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #7814986

Look at everyone's great plants. Has this been a great swap or what? During our long dead days of Winter, I remember sitting here wishing for Spring and new plants so badly.

Elfie, I had a Lily that looked like a corkscrew. My fault though since it heaved out of the pot and I didn't notice how much it had grown til after several days of rain. Once I planted it and sorta staked it up the best I could, it's starting to straighten out and reach for the sky.

Susie, whenever you have time, please mark both Erin and I received. TY!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2010
4:17 AM

Post #7816085

Gm Everyone . sorry for the Lasps Been in my gardens as you Know Have been Filling BOXES & Still not Done I have to get ready for my Plant swap witch is just 2 weeks away
JUNE 5th .

Found out My Surgery date is set for June 18th Gull Bladder Nothing big so i have to
really rush around & get my gardening taken care of now .

Yes susan I will mark you As REC:D

SO THE ONLY ONES THAT NEED TO ARRIVE ARE

PTILDA-CATBIRDSUE
BLUEPOPPY-JAMAESTONE
LOOKS AS PT IS OFF TO MEXICO & WON'T BE BACK FOR A MONTH & NOT SURE IF SHE GOT HER BOX OUT
OR NOT CATHY DID SHE DMAIL TO LET YOU KNOW ?

WELL MUCH TO READ THIS MORNING YOU ALL HAVE A SAFE WEEKEND i'M GOING TO A PLANT SWAP .
SUSIE

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
4:45 AM

Post #7816110

Elfie, just wanted you to know that all the plants you sent have settled in and are really going to town It has been cool and rainy and then got warm and they are eating it up. Thanks again for all the great additions.

Neener
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
5:05 AM

Post #7816128

Neener,
Sooo glad you are happy! Send pics!! I am still planting,,sigh,,
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
10:05 AM

Post #7816918

Look what bloomed this morning, "Wabash" Iris Maxine sent me last year. I hope our showers won't beat it down.

momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #7816998

That iris is gorgeous! I love it. ;) We will have to do another trade at the end of the season,FOTV! I would love some irises. I am sure that we each have some that we don't already have! :)

Erin
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7817570

She always looks like she's up to something :)

Sure thing, Erin, that sounds great. All I could see yesterday was purple peeking out and was totally surprised to see it had opened overnight. It looks like velvet!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2010
5:47 AM

Post #7819135

Maxine, LILY Asiatic - Suncrest. It always looks antique to me. The description says pale yellow with maroon specs. Is one of my favorites. Really more of an off white I think or cream.
I looked all over this town for the new hybrid coneflowers with no success! That is what I really wanted to get you. I don't know if it isn't warm enough here yet, or what the deal was. I thought maybe the tiki torch I had would be big enough to take a start from (3 years old) but it didn't even come back, later if any of my double deckers come back true I will send you one, without blooms I can't tell. I will tell you honestly tho I have not had good success with the hybrid coneflowers at all except for the white. I have probably purchased 5 different ones and the tiki torch was the only one to survive and now it is gone... :C Maybe it is just me, but none of them have done well and tiki torch never really got any bigger and they don't come back true from seed. I attented a class put on by I think mansanto, and this is the deal on the hybrid coneflowers. They are Propagated vegetatively from cuttings or divisions instead of sexually ( from seed) this insures we will have to buy more to get a clump. However, seeds produced by hybrid cultivars, like those of most Echinacea hybrid selection cultivars, do not produce plants identical to the parent. They have greenhouses in Costa Rico that are controlled and they hire people just to come in and take cuttings instead of breeding to seed. He smiled when he tried to convience us it was so all the plants would be exactly the same...sorry off my soap box! LOL

Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 23, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #7820674

Yea, Happ. I knew all those facts. I haven't looked that close yet, but doubt if I have lost maybe 2 of the hybrids?

Watering as it is so dry here. One flower bed left for tomorrow afternoon, as I drive tomorrow. Will combine running around and get my drivers license renewed at the same time.

Don't know if the local nurseries carry most of them or not. I purchased some from Warren on other web site. Can't think of the dang name. I don't know if I like it as well as Daves. I think it is harder to navigate around the site.
Maybe just me!! LOL

Maxine

OH yes, I didn't have the lily that you sent me. A db. if I remember right.
I only planted 108 this morning. Should be drop dead gorgeous this summer at our place.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7822089

Wow, you will have to post pics of the lilies blooming, would love to see that many lilies in bloom, I don't have anything even close to that number.

Wish I could keep the hybrids alive because they are beautiful, wonder why I am having so much trouble with them, if you don't.

Lack of water is not a problem here...wish I could send you some.

I think I have figured out I am partial to white flowers. I was looking around this weekend at the whites that I have. I have a beautiful pure white iris, even has a white beard, white peonies, daisies, white coneflower, white clematis, white roses, it's funny how you don't realize it. Don't get me wrong I have lots of color to and love "hot" colors.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 24, 2010
12:10 PM

Post #7823190

know what you mean. Some of my iris are going to the refuse pile. Don't like pale washed out colors. Like the kind that says woahoooooooo, look at me.

Maxine
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
7:21 AM

Post #7825526

You can dump those on me if you like, Maxine.

momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #7825559

Thats funny Susan, I was thinking the SAME thing! lol

Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 25, 2010
7:44 AM

Post #7825593

Are you willing to pay postage?

IF so will send them in July.

Maxine
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
7:46 AM

Post #7825600

Sure thing, Maxine. Thank you!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #7825929

Yeah, hate to see any plant go to the wayside...LOL

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #7826236

I Had 24 Blooms this morning :) I will up-load them to my photobucket to show you & come back to post the link.
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2010
1:28 PM

Post #7836955

Happy birthday to me, a month and a half late to me, happy birthday from bluepoppy, happy birthday to me!!

Look at all my goodies I received in the mail today from bluepoppy!

There are cobweb hens and chicks, regular hens and chicks, wood hyacinth bulbs, hosta, blue agastache, silver quill houseplant, walking iris, checkers poppy, xenox sedum, and a beyooooootiful 'merigue' echinacea, and a cute little squirrel to put in among my plants.

This was my very first swap and I had a wonderful time. I've loved reading all your posts and seeing all your pictures, sending off for my items to send, and opening my package today and thinking about where it will all look so perfect in the yard. Thanks to all of you for now causing a total addiction - I've already joined the June and July swaps and my 'wants' are on the DD list already!

Susie, bluepoppy said she received my package earlier this week so we're done as well if you want to mark us off.

And Janet - thanks sososososo much!

Di (doing a happy dance)

Thumbnail by janaestone

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7837305

Janaes : Very Nice BIRTHDAY :))) Now that you are Hooked Here is what you need to try to do
Get you some PAINT PENS Or P-Touch Lables so you can Put your Partners name on the back of the lables for your plants that way You Can show & Tell with Pictures the next year :)))) .
Thank you for sharing with us .

susie

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #7837396

Jannastone, that is a gret box with lots of great stuff. Congratulations on that !
Next year you will walk around your garden and look at the beautiful plants you received in these swaps and be so happy.
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #7837918

LOL...do you know hubby brought home a p-touch for me the other night after I was telling him how I needed to make labels for everything. Great idea on putting my partner names on the back of them!

I can't wait to see everything next year. this has just been so much fun.

Di
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #7838807

I have heard everyone talk about these. Where do you get them,, how much are they,, is there a certain type to get?
Thankss
Elf

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #7839288

Just type in p-touch this is the one i have & :( Now it is on sale :)

http://www.ptouchdirect.com/ptouch/new_pt1280rf.html Just Bought 8 refills for it for 27.00

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2010
8:53 AM

Post #7839389

What a great package of plants and goodies, Di. Everyday now when I walk my gardens I'm reminded of so many DG friends who have shared plants with me, and I didn't join DG til March last year. Amazing the different plants I have that I never knew I'd like to try and love seeing those blooms :)

Here's my P-Touch, Elfie. Paid $20 for it at least 6-8 years ago, still works like it's brand new. I buy replacement cartridges NIP on eBay.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #7839412

Used blinds from Goodwill or yard sales cut in pieces work great as markers.

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #7839979

Gee I think Kitty Shadow needs to come for a visit. :0)
bluepoppy
Landisburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2010
1:04 PM

Post #7840133

I wanted to add what Di sent to me...A very large spider daylily which was on my list...Plus a red mum, naked lady bulbs, a Shasta daisy and coral bell...A very nice selection and all very much appreciated...Thanks DI...
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2010
1:13 PM

Post #7840172

Love daylilies but really love the spiders for some reason, altho the big petals on the others are just beautiful. Nice selection. Thos naked ladies are expensive if you have to buy them, course most of the plants are if you have to pay retail... Nice package bluepoppy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7840435

OK So I Take it that PTILDA DIDN't get her box out Before she went to Mexico Kathy did she contact you to let you know that she will get it to you as soon as she returns back Home ??
I Have it wrote down but i'm sure pt has also .

thank you all for playing & I'm Going to close this till Pt Comes back
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #7840637

Those sounds great, bluepoppy. I've never seen a red mum, and would love to see pics of yours when it blooms. Enjoy your new plants, hope you enjoyed participating and will do so again.

I'm slowing adding Coral Bells, so far I have two, and never realized, happ, that Naked Ladies command a premium price. No wonder I don't have any or ever thought about them.

Spiders are quickly becoming some of my favorite D/Ls too. "Long Stocking" is about to bloom, she's the first Spider of the Season for me.

catbirdsue
Arnett, WV
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #7841846

Yes, I did hear from ptilda. I was hoping she could get it out before she left. She prob couldnt get it all togather. So I am looking forward to my pressies as soon as she gets home. Thanks so much for checking on me Dee.

Cathy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #7841938

Cathy you have mail
ptilda
Spooner, WI

June 2, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7853203

Cathy,

I'll be home Friday & can ship everything then. I'm really sorry about the delay. I don't know if the nursery got the order in I was waiting for, but I do have some other things that I'm sending anyhow which should give a full box. I'll try to be sure to send some extra goodies in there to make it worth the wait.

P

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America