Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Gardening by the Moon: Moon Calendar, May 2010

Communities > Forums > Gardening by the Moon
bookmark
Forum: Gardening by the MoonReplies: 15, Views: 144
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #7752770

My dear friends, I remember just in time to post this.
Enjoy your spring and continue planting!

Around here, is all the way into winter...
------------------------

May 2010
1st-3rd. Do No Planting.

4th-5th. Plant Late Beets, Potatoes, Onions, Carrots, And Other Root Crops.

6th-8th. Kill Plant Pests On These Barren Days.

9th-10th. Favorable Time For Planting Late Root Crops. Also Good For Vine Crops That Can Be Planted Now. Set Strawberry Plants.

11th-12th. Poor Planting, Fine For Cultivating Or Spraying.

13th-14th. Favorable For Planting Beans, Corn, Cotton, Tomatoes, Peppers, And Other Above Ground Crops.

15th-16th. Any Seed Planted Now Will Tend To Rot.

17th-18th. Most Favorable For Planting Corn, Cotton, Okra, Beans, Peppers, Eggplant, And Other Above Ground Crops. Plant Seedbeds And Flower Gardens.

19th-23rd. A Barren Period. Good For Killing Plant Pests, Cultivating, Or Taking A Short Vacation.

24th-25th. Excellent Time For Planting Corn, Beans, Peppers, And Other Above Ground Crops. Favorable For Sowing Hay, Fodder Crops, And Grains. Plant Flowers.

26th-27th. First Day Excellent For Planting Above Ground Crops. Second Day Favorable For Carrots, Beets, Onions, Turnips, And Other Root Crops. Both Days Good For Planting Cabbage, Lettuce And Other Leafy Vegetables, And For Planting Seedbeds.

28th-30th. Do No Planting.

31st. Plant Late Beets, Potatoes, Onions, Carrots, And Other Root Crops.

Cristina

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2010
6:07 AM

Post #7753712

Cristina, where do you get your calendars? They are so helpful!
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7755877

I buy the moon calendar a year before. There is a bookshop in Chile that buy it in bulk from the US and sells to their customers.

gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

May 6, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #7770868

I too, want to thank you Cristina. I am new to moon gardening and you make it so easy. I'm in Texas and anxious to get some stuff in the ground, but insist on waiting on the moon. My tomato and pepper plants are begging for relief (larger pots), but we will wait until the 13 or 14th to give them the biggest pot of all -- earth.

Does anyone know, does this apply also to starting seeds in containers or just those going in the ground?

Thanks!

cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #7773943

moon effect is for any type of cultivation, container or garden beds (soil, loam or whatever we call it), hydroponic etc. so it apply to all.

The moon affects the tydes, the agriculture even the mind of people ...
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

May 7, 2010
9:08 PM

Post #7774149

This is way too interesting. Seems a container would not be affected by the moon tides. Thanks for the feedback.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2010
3:59 AM

Post #7774487

I always assume that the influence is on the seed and not the container, so I would follow the calendar regardless of where the seed was being planted.
dddal
Eaton, IN

May 8, 2010
7:23 AM

Post #7774895

What are some of the effects on people?
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

May 8, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #7775949

Full moon is bad for operations, as cuts tend to bleed more.

You hair will grow or not grow according to moon sign and placement.

Police can tell you there are more "crazies" when the moon is full.
Jensilaedi
Perth
Australia

May 10, 2010
8:37 AM

Post #7780151

lol... about "crazies"
me I come out to look at the moon on full moon nights for an hour or two to just appreciate how glorious it is. I give thanks to it for growing my beautiful garden and helping me to breath. it doesn't drive me crazy... lol
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #7798103

So, since I let the weeds in my flowerbed and weeds took up in my untended containers then I should weed them between May 19-23--the Barren period? Would that hinder them somewhat in returning for a time?

Read a post somewhere (most likely here!) about two different people cutting a path through some overgrown area in order to get to a field. One did it according to the Gardening By the Moon recommendations on a certain date and the other just cut anytime. Allegedly the path cut through the wild area using the Moon Gardening guidelines kept a relatively clear path for a few years and the other one was overgrown in a few months.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

May 16, 2010
2:10 PM

Post #7798123

Long ago, my father was upset that some fellows he'd hired to clear a small field delayed for weeks. Then, when they finally showed up, they only cut everything down, the didn't dig out any stumps.

He said that the field stayed cleared, only grass and a few weeds grew, the bushes and small trees didn't come back. I figure they waited to clear the field when both the Moon and Sun were in barren fire signs, and the Moon was also waning.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2010
2:22 PM

Post #7798150

I really am not comfortable using chemicals, not because I'm all eco-friendly although I support that, but I'm afraid of killing the stuff I want to grow and have spent a small fortune on over the years:lol:

Can't hurt to give it a try anyway--might do one container on a non Barren day and see how both fair over a few more weeks. Doing the gardening/maintainance w/ the monthly schedule may be the organizational tool I need as I tend to procrastinate.
dddal
Eaton, IN

May 18, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #7803784

Today is my last day until next week to plant tomato/pepper plants and it's 52 degrees. Do I or don't I.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #7804244

These are plants, I take it? Unless it will be flirting with freezing temperatures at night, I'd go for it. 52 degrees won't hurt a tomato plant.
dddal
Eaton, IN

May 18, 2010
9:54 AM

Post #7804299

I did, I don't think that the plant will be harmed but I'm not sure about myself. It was damp and chilly but they are in the ground. I sure didn't think I could handle waiting another week. Planting by the moon will help to keep you on the straight and narrow.

Thanks,
Donna

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Gardening by the Moon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Moon calendar? nivlac 13 Jul 11, 2007 5:46 PM
Welcome to the Gardening by the Moon forum dave 67 Dec 27, 2008 6:47 AM
Those who know how to read an almanac defoecat 81 Jul 10, 2007 1:03 AM
Moon Phases threegardeners 9 Jul 11, 2007 9:59 PM
Here's what I'd started last year .. Magpye 24 Jul 21, 2007 4:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America