Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Weather: May, May flowers

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 318, Views: 1,297
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 1, 2010
4:14 AM

Post #7753526

Let's hope May brings better weather for most. Enough already of these winter temps & tornadoes.

Sunrise, bright.
Windy forecast.

Off to market!
Bernie
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #7753623

Well T-Storms moved thru here about 6AM.
Lots of noise but no real winds it appears.
Raining Hard ever since.
Looks like the new gutter works great! lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Click the image for an enlarged view.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #7753627

Sorry Rusty!
Stuck on a Truck.
Last one to take there hands off the truck wins it!
Looks like Mau's DGS is still standing.

http://www.stuckonatruck.com/webcam.php

Better news from AR this morning. Only one confirmed dead from the tornado.
The original # was 3 so...
Ric

This message was edited May 1, 2010 8:28 AM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2010
5:49 AM

Post #7753674

Thanks, Bernie. Good luck!!!

Hearts and thoughts are with everyone caught in the path of the storms. Mau & Friday, Crissy, thanks for checking in and easing our minds. It's good to know you're all safe.

Crystal called me last night and said she was possibly in the first stages of labor. We'll see..

36.5 F with 53 for the high. 60% chance of more rain.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 36 F
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 31 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the West
Wind Gust: 7.0 mph
Pressure: 29.91 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 4500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 5000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 6500 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2010
6:01 AM

Post #7753699

Rain started here at 8:52AM. It will be heavy for a while but then slack off if radar to the west can be believed. Took a couple of pictures before the sky got too dark.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #7753720

Very pretty poppy!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #7753936

Bernie: sell lots of veggies,etc., today!
Ric: thanks for posting that link for Rusty! I'm glad you haven't had any severe weather. My DGS is still standing, as you say! :o)) He has changed his clothes--now wearing khaki shorts and back to the flip flops. Last night he was wearing tennis shoes.
Celia: thanks for the well wishes. You'll keep us posted about Crystal, I am sure!
Sunfarm: beautiful poppy!

We have had periods of rain off and on all morning. Currently, it is 64F. It isn't raining right now but we are expecting more severe weather this afternoon across the state. The front is very slow moving and seems to have stalled out temporarily. It is supposed to be out of here later in the day but until then we are not "out of the woods".

My flower beds look somewhat bedraggled after all the rain but, all things considered, they still look pretty good. This is Peach Belle this morning--apparently none the worse in spite of the weather.

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
7:51 AM

Post #7753949

He looks pretty good still Mau... going on 48 hours now...

Edited to say it appears it's only 1/2 over... usually runs about 85-95 hours

This message was edited May 1, 2010 10:55 AM

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #7754013

Okay, thank for the link.. Boy, I couldn't do that for long time lol...

Well, final got my phone fix the line already then guy almost leave that I have no caller id! ah! so guy fix the plugs for the line inside that I can see the tv show top with phone #... so I call for test good ya! Phew... All done with it that's first time line broken off...(it been over a week fight the line to put the right connect to my home.)

More iris's light pink (look like peach color)...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #7754021

Climber Rose...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #7754036

Yes, at noon it will be 48 hours and as you said, Ric, probably only half over. I noticed another contestant bit the dust, so that is 3 who have dropped out, but that still leaves 20 who are in the running. We'll see what the next few hours brings.

Rusty: I'm glad you got your phone line repaired! Lovely iris!

Still raining here, off and on.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 1, 2010
10:39 AM

Post #7754363

One of the first things DH said to me this morning is that he wondered how Stuck on a Truck was going. We thought a lot of people would drop out overnight, but that wasn't so. If you read the profiles of the contestants, one of them said that he did it last year and dropped out after 96 hours.

Marilyn, how many times a year does it come to the situation that you have to get into the bathtub because of tornadoes? I think I'll stick with earthquakes.

Evelyn, that mariposa was in the wild. I have tried growing them but haven't had much luck. Sometimes they don't sprout at all, or if they do, they don't return the next year. I don't know what I do wrong. It's not all a loss, though. I've found that if I grow something at home, it becomes less special in the wild.

Rusty, nice irises. Irises are one of my favorite flowers. That thing where you can see the phone number on the t.v. is great. My parents have that. We don't have that because DH doesn't want to get phone through the cable company. I don't know why. I think it would be cheaper, and if the cable goes out, we can use our cell phones.

My dad loves peonies, probably mainly because his mom had them. He has some plants from her house. He gave me a start but it didn't survive here. I wish I had something from both of my grandparents' yards. Anybody out there, get cuttings, plants, bulbs, whatever from your relatives' yards now while you have the chance. Even if you just live in an apartment, try to get something you can keep going until you get a yard. Believe me, if you don't some day you'll wish you had and it will be too late. I have cactus from my parents' yard, and it doesn't seem all that special yet, but some terrible day when they both are gone and the house is sold, I will be so glad that I have it.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 9:51 AM PDT on May 01, 2010
69 F
Clear
Humidity: 24%
Dew Point: 31 F
Wind: 16 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 20 mph

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
1:19 PM

Post #7754711

You are absolutely right, Kelli, about getting cuttings from your parents or grandparents yards. I wish I had some of the things from my mother's yard but it is far too late for that now. I just checked the Stuck on a Truck and 5 people have now dropped out so the playing field is narrowing somewhat. As far as the number of times I have gotten into the bathtub because of tornadoes--twice and I /we (when DH was living) have left the house and driven away from them twice-- so in 68 years, that's not too bad. Tornadoes seem to be increasing in frequency nowadays or maybe it is just that the weather folk are doing a better job of scaring people--er, make that "predicting where the tornadoes are going to be". Seriously, they have really been quite accurate in the last few years of telling folks where there is a tornado on the ground and to take cover. I am quite sure that a number of lives have been saved as a result of their accurate broadcasting over the local tv stations.

Currently a steamy 78F and the sun is shining once again.

Well, the rain has stopped and the sun actually came out from behind the clouds for a while although it has hidden its face again. I was outside raking up the mulch that was washed out of the EE bed and boy, was it a steam bath out there--especially when the sun came out! I was wringing wet from head to toe! I managed to get the edging hammered into the ground to keep the mulch from washing out again. I had not done it before today because the ground was too hard and I was waiting for it to rain--got my wish--LOL!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 1, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #7754766

Your GS has a white circle on his back. Did you tell him to do that?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7754774

Oh my! 90+ hours! No way! LOL

The sun came out. Yea!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
2:22 PM

Post #7754884

Nope, Kelli, in fact I didn't even know he was going to be in this until after it started. His mother, my daughter, let me know about it via Facebook. She probably didn't know he was going to be in it either, until the last minute. Christopher is a man (seems strange to call my DGS a "man") of few words and he is not given to notifying his family about what he is up to until the actual fact. What I am trying to figure out is what is that blue thing he has on his head. LOL

Here's a photo of Christopher when he was little. He had curly hair back then, too--he gets it from my side of the family. I have naturally curly hair.

Thumbnail by marsue

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #7755005

Thanks for the new thread, Bernie!! ^_^

That poppy is beautiful, sunfarm!

Your rose and iris are beautiful, too, Rusty. Yayyy!! about the phones begin fixed! :-) We've talked about the cable phones, too, but we don't have (or want) cable tv, so we haven't done it.

I'm glad you all were ok after the storms. I spent a good deal of hiding in closets when I was growing up in the midwest, and as an adult I did some storm spotting with the amateur radio group near Columbus, Ohio. That was really fun. :-) We joined the ham radio group down here, and Charles did a lot of the practice emergency "nets" with them, but they moved the nets to another frequency and we don't have the right kind of radios, so we haven't done that for a few years. Maybe someday. :-)

It's 88 and muggy here with a 30% chance of rain; the daylilies are budding and I have an amaryllis blooming. Spring is over and summer has arrived. I'm going to order a truckload of mulch and compost this week. Yayy!! I should have done it last week, before it got quite so hot, but I hurt my back carrying the fish tank around (stupid me!) and didn't want to exacerbate it. It's much better now. :-)

We went to the "fishy store" this afternoon and bought some aquarium plants and 2 clown loaches. We have (at last count) 132 snails in the tank. A few snails are great for keeping the algae down, but 132 seemed a bit excessive. LOL The loaches are supposed to help keep the snail population in check, and they should play nicely with the platys. (Or totally ignore them, which comes out to the same thing. ^_^ ) (Speaking of the platys... are they "platties" or "play-tees"?) Plant-wise, we bought a bundle (which came out to 6 sprigs) of anacharis, a sprig of hygrophilia, and one cute little "banana plant". Next time we go we'll get some more short plants for the front of the tank. I vacuumed out the rocks and then "planted" the plants before refilling the tank (25%). The loaches are floating in their bag on the top of the aquarium. The bunnies call it a "water ride" and are narrating what they suppose "Freddi and Luther" (named after the fish in a series of computer games that they have: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddi_Fish) are saying in their bag. It's really funny to listen to them. ^_^ The "Jacks and Susies" seem to be enjoying the new plants already.

This picture shows the tank before the new additions. :-)

Marilyn, Christopher seems to be doing well so far. Is the blonde girl in his "pit crew" who was talking to him last night his sister? I thought she might be the granddaughter whose pictures I have seen sometimes on FB. :-) I cannot imagine standing there for 99+ hours... yikes...

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7755055

No, Marylyn, the blonde girl is not Christopher's sister, nor his cousin, Samantha, whose photos you have seen. I do not know who she is as I haven't seen her when I have checked the web cam. If Christopher has a girlfriend it would be news to me--and his mom! She could just be a friend from work or she could be his brother Ryan's girlfriend. Who knows? It sounds like you and the bunnies are having fun with the fish! :o))

edited to say: Christopher doesn't have a sister--just one brother, Ryan.

This message was edited May 1, 2010 5:42 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #7755359

Rain this morning and sun later in the afternoon. Spent all day outside at work today cleaning up from the storms. Dirt and trash everywhere! Plu condensed plants and moved some of them back outside again. Alot of work but I enjoyed being outside and smelling the smoke from the grill that my boss was grilling from. LOL. It was Zarda BBQ. If you haven't heard of Zarda's it's a BBQ institution in Blue Springs, MO. Great meat there!!

Clemetine Red Columbine

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #7755408

A tornado is reported to be headed toward the Conway area where Stuck on a Truck is taking place. The webcam on the website just showed the contestants moving away from the truck. I am assuming they are taking them into the bank for shelter because they just had a 15 minute break at the top of the hour. There are tornadoes in several areas in the state--not in my area just now but some may be headed my way. It is a very unstable situation and the storm system should last until at least midnight according to the local weather guy.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7755472

Hope the tornado goes around them!! Keep us updated. I put it on weather channel just now.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #7755545

See he's still stuck! Good for him.
He talking w/ the blond now...LOL!
Peeping Truck Cam!

Light rain hit a few times after the gully washer we had at day break.
More on store.

Got the old pond demolished and the designing done for it's replacement.
This one will be tricky but should go quickly.
Pictures though ... not till it's done... lol!

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7755726

Pepper: that is a pretty columbine!

Ric: well, shoot! I keep missing seeing him talk to the blonde! LOL I will definitely be asking who she is! Looking forward to the photos of the new pond.

It is quiet in my area just now. A severe thunderstorm went through earlier and dumped a lot of rain but no tornado materialized. There is a severe storm and tornado warning in effect just now about 60 miles to the southwest of me. It is moving up the I-30 corridor. It will bear watching because if it moves in a straight line it will be coming my way, but tornadoes do not always move in a straight line.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #7755752

She's in the back row (View 2), very light blond, red/yellow dress, and he was aimed toward her.
She and the girl next to her were standing by the rope for a while.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7755756

And she's gone...LOL!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #7755818

Well, I have been trying to figure out who he is facing toward and talking to. I never did see a blonde in that area. She is elusive! LOL (playing hard to get, I suppose).

I can hear another thunderstorm coming in. *sigh*
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #7755824

Okay, I think I see her now. I am going to keep my eye on her--LOL
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #7755856

Last night when I took a peek, Christopher was standing at the front corner of the truck and the girl was right in front of him, on the other side of the rope, so it was easy to see them both. I should have taken a screen shot. LOL She was holding a clipboard or something, and she kept showing it to him. I couldn't tell what was on it.. Maybe they were playing Pictionary. LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #7755943

If she was holding a clipboard she may be a part of the pit crew. I really don't know. I can't find her just now--she has disappeared again.

edited to add: another thunderstorm just went over and it dropped some hail but the hail didn't last but a couple of minutes and it didn't sound like it was heavy so hopefully there hasn't been any damage to my roof. I did lose electricity for about 10 minutes just after 10 p.m.

This message was edited May 1, 2010 10:24 PM
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #7755989

The "Pit Boss" with the microphone has been going around the truck talking to different contestants. Judging by the body language of the people around him, he must be funny. He's talking to Christopher now... I wonder what he's saying. ^_^
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2010
8:49 PM

Post #7755992

I don't see the mysterious blonde right now either.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
8:58 PM

Post #7756005

Hail's not good!
But glad they are on the power situation!

Man you've got a ton of warnings down there!

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
9:07 PM

Post #7756020

The local tv stations have gone back to regular programming which means things have calmed down considerably. I think I am going to bed. Thanks for staying up with me and for keeping up with Christopher! Talk to you all in the morning!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
9:11 PM

Post #7756034

Night Mau!

I'm betting there are a fewer # by the time you get up...lol!

Ric
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2010
3:00 AM

Post #7756230

The weather radio sounded a tornado watch alert for us at 5:35AM, so it looks like more of the severe weather has moved our way. This should not be a fun day.
Mau, I see your DGS is still in it, as I checked the webcam as soon as I looked at the weather sites,

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2010
4:15 AM

Post #7756303

55 and we had a light rain pass over in the night.

Thanks for the new thread Bernie. Hope you came home empty handed!

Marsue, I can't believe how many are still trying for the truck! Your rose is even prettier with all the matching colors in the background. I'd go out every morning and say hello!

Ric, what is the delicate little flower?

Celia!!!!

Sunfarm, aren't poppies something!

Rusty, it's a good thing you caught that before the repair guy left! I'm glad you are back to normal now. Shy iris, but going to be beautiful! Do you have trouble with iris borers? Can't wait to see the rose open!

Marsue, I hope he holds out!!

Kelly, I have flowers from relatives and friends. I remember them every time I look at them. I've written down in my journal where all my flowers came from.

Mau, what an adorable little boy! No wonder he is a fine looking young man!

Marylyn, I'm glad your back os OK! I had to giggle about keeping the snails in check. Aawww, the bunnies are so cute! How are they liking their new room? Can't wait to see the "after" tank!

Pepper, the BBQ makes my mouth water. Neat columbine!!

Ric, can't wait to see the "new" pond!!

Marsue, ''playing hard to get'' made me smile. Maybe she's a contestant's brother/sister and is trying to get him to let go.

Sunfarm, I hope it's just heavy rain and passes quickly.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
4:42 AM

Post #7756362

[quote=Do you have trouble with iris borers? [/quote]

No, I don't have any trouble with borers...

As yesterday, I got little jump from the lightning hit pretty hard one and scared Rusty but Ju is not and lay down by me...Weird dog! lol...

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #7756406

Rusty, then you are so lucky! I wonder why I have them? They are terrible!

Mau, he's still hanging on and looks pretty awake. I can't believe there are so many people left!

He hatched out before the big rain. DH took his picture. Shortly after I got home and saw him, he was gone.

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #7756419

All of you who are in the path of severe weather today, stay safe!

Thanks to all of you who are rooting for my grandson! He is still "Stuck on a Truck" but 7 contestants have now been eliminated. There were 6 out of it last night so only one dropped out overnight. This is going to take a long time, it seems! Christopher is "aquatic coordinator" at a local gym in Conway which is affiliated with the regional hospital in Conway. He is in charge of the pool at the facility and of all the programs associated with the pool, including folks who have been ordered by their doctor for swim therapy. He is in excellent physical condition and eats healthily. I am hoping his physical and mental training and stamina is what will let him endure the remaining hours and that he will win that truck! Go, Christopher!

The worst of our weather has moved out of here but we still have a 30% chance of thundershowers today. It was raining when I got up earlier but has let up now although it is still overcast and somewhat dark outside. Current temp is 56F
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
5:39 AM

Post #7756421

BP: we crossed. The BF is gorgeous! Is that an Eastern Black Swallowtail?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #7756457

Mau he still looks strong as do many of the others...
Looks like break time just occurred.
One women is being helped out.
Had to laugh when I clicked on this morning.
He was at one end of the truck everyone else the other.
Looks like he outlasted his deodorant...LOL!

Rainy here.
We didn't get any of the violent weather further south.
Probably two inches overnight.
Now they are calling for local flooding.

BP that plant is Thalictrum thalictroides
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1835/
Fairly common in the woods where we mushroom hunted.
These were the last blooms. Soon it will dry up and disappear for the year.

Here's Camassia scilloides ... Woodland or Wild Hyacinth
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/980/
No real impressive in this shot.

That's False Solomon's Seal in the lower left.

Ric

This message was edited May 2, 2010 9:06 AM

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #7756458

Here's the flower

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
6:13 AM

Post #7756475

[quote="henryr10"]looks like he outlasted his deodorant[/quote]

LOL. Ric!

edited to add: I just checked the webcam again. He is still on one side of the pick-up bed all by himself. LOL

This message was edited May 2, 2010 8:25 AM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #7756594

Fourteen contestants have now been eliminated from Stuck on a Truck! The field is narrowing! Hang in there, Christopher!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
7:24 AM

Post #7756617

Good Bio on him!
Good strategy it seems.
Power napping helps... some...lol!

Still raining
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #7756646

Just lost another one.
Actually saw this one...lol!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 2, 2010
7:49 AM

Post #7756697

38* overcast
good morning and glad the worst of the weather seems to be over, marsue. Sounds very scary to have to take cover in the bathtub.
kelli~that's great to know about the bridge. In all the years in that area, going up and down old hwy 99, and even taking back roads from there to Auburn, I'd never heard of it. I'll pass this location along to my sister in Elk Grove. They love to take day trips on mcycle and I think she'd love to see what we had missed.
Have a good day and week.

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
8:30 AM

Post #7756812

Ric: could you tell why that latest contestant was eliminated? Did he or she take both hands off the truck or something?

Nice shot of the hawk or falcon or whatever it is, Kiska. You can tell I am not informed about the predatory birds--LOL!

The skies are clearing somewhat and the sun is peeking out. Good news! It is not steamy and humid, though, like it was yesterday. Thank goodness!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #7756946

Marsue, I think it is, and I'm not sure if it's female or male.

Ric, I noticed him all alone at the back of the truck too, giggle! I've been looking for the tall lilac thalictrum. I think they're a pretty plant. I just couldn't place the columbine-like leaves. The camassia is another I've considered and my soloman's seal gets a goo4'-5' tall. I love it! I dug it up from across the road, at an old house no one lived in a while. Same place I got the varigated kwanso fulva daylily. It's such a tiny flower :o)

Kiska, aren't things like that neat? You and your sister have something new to see :o) He's a fierce one!

I just got smart. I stacked the truck, and Dave's site side by side :o)

It's warming up slowly and don't go out without squiting on tthe vanilla!! We just hit 70
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 2, 2010
10:03 AM

Post #7756996

It looks like GS has changed shorts and taken the sleeves off his shirt.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
10:05 AM

Post #7757000

LOL, BP, at stacking the sites side by side. I've had it like that since they started this thing! ROFLOL they just had a 15 minute break. Christopher was laying on the floor. I hope he got a power nap. I think there are just 8 contestants left.

It has shaped up to be a lovely day. The clouds are moving out and the sun is out It is currently 66F.

edited to add: Kelli, we crossed. He has changed shorts--I didn't even notice the sleeves! LOL

This message was edited May 2, 2010 12:06 PM
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 2, 2010
10:15 AM

Post #7757018

Yep, he must have gotten the memo about the deodorant. LOL! I wear a bandana on my head like that when it is too windy for a hat. I even have a purple one. It has flora of Joshua Tree National Park.

Marilyn, you can tell your GS that he's a big hit from coast to coast, or at least from Ohio to California. He mentioned something in his bio about surfing. Where does he go? I don't think I've seen the great Ozark Ocean. ;-) I see that they have nice prices for the 2nd through 4th place finishers, too.

Again this morning, the second thing DH mentioned to me was Stuck on a Truck. He says what are we going to do when SOAT is over. It's funny how interested we are in it. It's the novelty, I guess.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #7757310

Mau when they broke she had to be helped away.
When they came back she lasted about 5 minutes.
My guess just pure exhaustion.

They'll probably start dropping fast at about 80 hours.
I've done 96 hours once, but I was a pup... ah Spring Break!
Shame his brain can't 'tape' what's going on inside... WEEEEEE!!!!!!
Nearest 1/2 way decent surfing to AR is around JAX.
Course if he wins he'll have the truck to do San Diego... piece of cake drive! LOL!

Still raining steady.

We headed out shopping, groceries, booze, wood, etc... ;-)
Got pretty much all the parts to complete the new Pond...
(Though a new term will be needed.)
Still have to hit Tractor Supply for one part.

Did hit a good Clearance at Lowe's.
Blades for the scroll saw at 75% off... bought all 10 packs.
And a broken box of finishing nails fro 3 bucks... usually 12...lol!

Ric
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #7757501

86, all the rain we were supposed to get appears to be going north of us - so I am watering.

Good luck with the truck!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 2, 2010
1:24 PM

Post #7757502

HI, guys! I had such fun watching Cristopher on the truck! That's so funny! Go Cristopher!
So sorry to hear about the tornados and what they did to so many people! I'm keeping them all in my prayers.
It's very warm here in Romania, summer temperatures, about 77F=25C. Clear sky, sunny.
I have been busy in the garden, sowed some seeds and watered a lot. I had to sow grass seeds on the lawn because it got many empty spots after so much snow.
My garden today.
Have great day everyone!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2010
1:29 PM

Post #7757511

adinamiti - Beautiful!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 2, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #7757514

Kelli, Mau's DGS is a hit all over to Romania too!LOL I'm watching him too!
Ric, you're too funny about the deodorant!LOL
I have strawberries blooming!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 2, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #7757523

Thanks, Dyson! Another picture of the white and pink tulips.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 2, 2010
1:49 PM

Post #7757553

ric~I forgot to mention how cool that you knew the covered bridge-
marsue~just looked at the camera and see many have dropped out-is he the one w/purple bandana?
adina~things are looking very pretty at your house.
Dyson~too bad you're having to water already.
The pic I'd posted is of an immature Eagle. They are mottled and don't have white tail feathers at this age.
sunny now, and in the 40's; should reach 50, "they" say.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #7757580

Boy it is nice today! I've been outside weeding, then break to eat, then back out, now I'm on a permanent break as it's too hot out there in the sun. It's mostly cloudy now, mid 70's it feels, and after two days of tornados I think we deserve it!

Nice pics, I have Christopher up all day, been checking in on him.

We had a tornadic cell come over last night, we got the northern tier of it, the actual rotation was about 10 miles south of the house here, so we were ok! Got a few more downpours after that, and no hail. Worry about my veggie garden! I need to get back out and take some pictures, but I think I'll eat first. We're going to Chinese Buffet in Benton, AR here in a bit.

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2010
2:03 PM

Post #7757595

Watered "the patchwork" (cannot really call it a garden), the strawberries are making some outstanding progress, The tomatoes are holding their own - I used shredded newspaper for mulch around them. The peppers looked stressed! Will add mulch at the peppers. Squash, Cucumbers, Onions and Sprouts look none for the wear but have not taken off yet. - GROW VEGGIES! (Daddy needs a salad).
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
2:22 PM

Post #7757646

Thank you all for cheering for Christopher with me! I have notified his brother and his mother both to tell him that my "peeps" all over the world are cheering for him and keeping up with him via the web cam. They are down to 7 contestants now. My daughter and her husband are making a surprise trip down to Conway from where they live 2 hours north of there in order to be there in person to encourage him and cheer him on.
Yes, Kiska, he is the one with the purple or blue bandana on his head. They should be giving them another 15 minute break in about an hour.

I just bought a flat of impatiens to put in my shade garden but I think I will wait until tomorrow to get them in the ground. I can't check the webcam when I am outside and the suspense is growing! LOL I also bought one of those ornamental sweet potato vines. This one is the dark purple and it has light bluish-purple blooms on it. I wasn't aware that they bloomed until I saw this one.

It is a lovely day here, though getting a bit warm at 77F.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #7757724

I forgot to post this link over here. I thought you all might be interested in it:

http://www.wimp.com/snappingturtles/
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #7757766

Kelli: I forgot to answer your question about where Christopher goes surfing. He has cousins whom he visits every year in North Carolina and they spend a lot of time at the beach over there. That is the only place I know of where he would have had the opportunity to go surfing as we do not have the great "Ozark Ocean" anywhere around here--ROFLOL They are down to six contestants now.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #7757795

Hi, everyone! Yayy, Christopher!!

[quote="billyporter"]Marylyn, I'm glad your back is OK! I had to giggle about keeping the snails in check. Aawww, the bunnies are so cute! How are they liking their new room? Can't wait to see the "after" tank!

Marsue, ''playing hard to get'' made me smile. Maybe she's a contestant's brother/sister and is trying to get him to let go. [/quote]

Sally, ROFLOL!! Now, see, that is a theory I just hadn't considered. (still laughing...) The bunnies love their new room. We haven't quite finished decorating it... We have some friends who are moving this summer, and they are going to give us their bunkbeds. When we get them, we'll decorate around them. The bunnies are extremely excited about the bunkbeds. :-)

We just got home... After church we went to a park with our Sunday school class and had a picnic. We had a blast! One of the families brought a "Chicago ball" (basically a big squishy softball that you don't have to have a glove to catch) and we sorta played ball. I haven't played softball in 15 years, and I'm way overweight, so now my knees are killing me. And playing even sorta-softball in sandals is hard on the feet!! If I'd known, I would have brought tennies to change in to. But it was definitely worth it. :-) I'm just going to sit here, watch Christopher, and chat with you peeps while I wait for the Advil to kick in. LOL The bunnies are behind me watching "fish tv." ^_^

It is a gorgeous day today! It's the hottest day yet this year, but the humidity went down and there was a breeze blowing, so it was a perfect day to be out picnicking!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 4:53pm CDT (33 min ago)
Temperature 85 F 29 C (It was 90 at 1:00!)
Dew Point 46 F 8 C
Humidity 25%
Pressure 29.74 in 1007 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir NW 320
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 82 F 28 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 62.1F / 16.7C

Tonight Clear. Lows in the upper 50s. Light and variable winds.

The bunnies, watching "fishy tv" and looking at fish books. LOL

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 2, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #7757964

I worked most of the afternoon on the pond & surroundings.
Rocks are heavy! Even the little ones cause I would move a pail full at a time!

Took a while to get the water flowing that looked natural. Good thing I went to Alaska while in National Guard. I remember how the rocks looked in a natural setting.

Nice sunny day again, but windy! 60 some degrees.

We had a good day at market yesterday. Sold out nearly everything.

I haven't followed the truck thing, but wish him luck!

Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 2, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #7757973

Crab Apple tree. Not as spectacular as last year.

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #7757974

My pretty poppy from yesterday morning's post has been beaten down and lost all its petals in the nearly 6" of rain that has fallen since I took that picture. Here's what it looked like this morning after an inch of rain.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 2, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #7757982

Iris garden today.

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #7757996

And a bit later...
I feel as bedraggled as the poppy even though I have just been out to check the rain gauge.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 2, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #7757997

Cottage garden. Large Iris beginning to open, on the right.
Came in a trade from Wandaflowers. It's "Sunshine Boy".

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #7758100

High in the low 70s, mostly sunny and humid. Pop-up storms east and north of here but nothing here. Be nice if there was to help beat the humidity. lol

Gardens look great Bernie! Love the pond especially.

Mau, I'm rooting for Christopher too!! Hope he wins!!

An oldie that I got from my grandma. It spreads fast too. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7758256

Everyone's gardens look AMAZING!
Hard to believe the snow was just there less than a month ago in many cases.
In some cases weeks or days...lol!

We're STILL getting rain!
Today's has mostly been a nice slow rarely heavy rain.
Soak, Soak, Soak...

Looks like SoaT is down to 5 now.
80+ hours... you don't give up at this stage... you give out.
Christopher and the women at the front of the truck look strong.
The guy next to him... not so much... ;-)

Ric
scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

May 2, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #7758297

First year my iris came out looking pretty! First photo is before the rain. Second photo is after the rain. Third photo is of the creek up from our home!!! It could have been worse!!

Thumbnail by scarediecat

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7758304

It looks like a tv camera is being set up while they are on break.
scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

May 2, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7758328

Well, I guess everyone in TN and surrounding areas are in the same boat...hope it stops soon...our prayers are with everyone in this "bad weather area"!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7758410

I hope our DG friends in TN and other areas are doing okay. One of my DG friends in Mississippi had a tornado come within a mile of her house but they are okay although their electricity is off. They don't expect it to be back on for several days! :o((

Marylyn: "fishy tv"-- well that is certainly a novel way to keep them occupied! LOL
As you said, the SoaT is now down to 5, including Christopher. They have a Facebook link on the Home page of the SoaT website. If you click on it, you will be taken to their Facebook page and you can leave a message for Christopher on their "wall". You have to "join" before you will be able to leave a message. I just left one for him, telling him that you all are cheering him on. My daughter and her husband are there--I just talked to her--but she hasn't been able to talk to him so she wasn't able to give him the message about his "international fan club". She called and told me that they were starting to read some of the messages on Facebook to the remaining contestants. It would really please Christopher to know that you all care enough to keep checking the webcam to keep up with his progress. He would be delighted to hear from you even if he doesn't know you! Just mention that you are a friend of mine (say, "I am a friend of your Ma Susie's) if you do choose to leave him a message. Thank you so much for your support of him!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7758448

I left a message for him. ^_^
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7758475

Thank you so much, Marylyn! You are so sweet!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #7758544

Just routed him on also Mau.
Tell your DD to wave at the camera by the fan behind Chris...lol!

Rain has finally stopped!
Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #7758572

Ric, you can see my DD and her husband on view 2. They are sitting down right behind the couple that is standing up by the rope. The standing couple are in a white shirt (girl) and an orange shirt with blue short sleeves (boy). My DD is wearing a lime green jacket and her DH is wearing a red shirt. thanks for rooting for Chris!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #7758596

Got'em! lol!
Cool!

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #7758633

Catching up...Rooting for Chris!!!

We can see the sunset for the first time in days. 48 and calm. NOT cloudy.

Memory garden with guara, speedwell and ice plants added. (ice plants are not pictured)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
7:48 PM

Post #7758666

Just let Wu in for her first long haul outside in 2 days.
She ran off a ton of energy! lol!

Mau looks as if your DD & SIL are settling in for the long haul too!
Good for them.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #7758816

They left a few minutes ago, Ric, to make the drive back to Harrison)about 2 1/2 hours). My other DGS, Ryan, will be there all night as part of Chris' pit crew, so he won't be alone tonight. Ryan has been there every night.

Celia, the memory garden looks very nice. It looks like you have a holly hock there in the back?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2010
8:56 PM

Post #7758820

Yes, hollyhocks. I had a nice lady in out area give me 3 2nd year plants. They should be dark maroon.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
9:04 PM

Post #7758838

I have 3 hollyhocks, too. I have one huge plant that is almost as tall as I am. It should be blooming soon. It is gi-normous!

For those of you who were asking me who the blonde was that Christopher was talking to last night, here is what my daughter said when I asked her if she knew: "Didn't see a blonde cause she(Sherri) had a hat on; think the blonde was another coworker. They are keeping him awake & alert by writing on a marker board & holding it up with questions on it. Chris did the pitcrew for Sherri last yr. She went 88 hrs. (in last year's contest). She soaked his feet in ice water last break to wake him up better!"
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #7758925

Ahhh... that explains the blonde AND the board. I was wondering what she was writing on there. Ice water on the feet sounds like a great idea!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 2, 2010
10:45 PM

Post #7759009

My 5 year old gson, watching this afternoon, says he hopes Christopher wins~~so do we.
Almost 10pm, very bright out; another couple of weeks and I'll be going to bed before sunset:))
kwanjin~the Memory garden is very nice.
Marylyn~cool fish tv; bet they will love the bunkbeds, too.
Didn't quite get to 50*F; but was in high 40's.
Sunset: 10:06
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 2, 2010
11:13 PM

Post #7759031

10:15 pm here and I just left a msg on FBook. Hang on, Christopher.
Sunset is beautiful tonight; it's happening now.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 2, 2010
11:26 PM

Post #7759043

10:pm-- Sunset a few minutes ago.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 2, 2010
11:27 PM

Post #7759046

More of the Chugach Mountain Range-back yard view.
10pm.

Thumbnail by kiska

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 3, 2010
1:05 AM

Post #7759078

Wow, Jackie! That's beautiful! How cute your 5 year old grandson is watching the truck thing!LOL
I'm watching now and it seems they are only 3 left. They are having a break now. Oh, no, Chris is out!
Bernie, that's beautiful garden!
Mau , I have 3 hollyhocks too, they just popped up from the seeds I sowed last year. I wrote an article about them, should be coming soon.
Celia, memory garden looks great! Any news about your DD?
Pepper, what a beautiful iris!
I have irises from my childhood's garden blooming!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2010
4:33 AM

Post #7759248

50and a bright "Kiska" moon! Wow, it took a while to read and look at the pictures.

Marsue, I'll bet Christopher was just beat. I'm so sorry he didn't win the truck.

Kelli, DH is right, what will we do when SOAT is over?

Adina the pansies and tulips are a lovely sight as you walk up to the house :o)

Chrissy, Chinese buffet is my favorite meal!!

Dyson, I broke down and planted tomatoes and some of the cabbage. I need something to eat too!

Marsue, catching a snapper is not on my list of to do's, LOL! It's fun to watch someone else do it tho!

Marylyn, that is the most adorable picture of the girls!! They are really growing up and becoming young ladies! Fish tv is fun! The ''action'' never stops!

Bernie, the pond is really shaping up! I love the rocks rolling down the bank! I was betting you didn't come home with much produce. The crab apple is so full! It's still a sight to see! Your iris garden is spectacular! I love the color of the tulips in the Cottage Garden! Wanda's iris is in the sun. Maybe get a single shot of it?

Sunfarm, poppy took a beating, but came thru. It would make a good picture with some sort of caption.

Pepper, I think Grandma had ''Honorabile.'' I have one too and I love it!

Hi Scardiecat! It's nice to hear from another state. Rain sure is moving thru the South, slowly!

Celia, I love your memory garden.

Ric, I can just see Wu cutting figure 8"s

Kiska, I've been known to be in bed before sundown. It just feels good to stretch out! Beautiful beautiful sunset on the mountain! It would never be the same picture twice!

Adina, a beauitiful childhood memory! If it doesn't have a name, that would be a good one :o)

It wasn't a real warm day yesterday. The sun just wasn't strong enough. I pulled weeds and tried to hoe. I finally decided I was going to put some of the starts in the garden before another tomato broke off!

I've got a terrible weed, as bad or worse, than chickweed. It covers a large area and is time consuming to pull. It was too wet to hoe them yesterday. I finally Googled it and came up with "Persian Speedwell." Considered a lovely flower by some and is featured on Dave's Garden. I just ROTFL!! One man's trash is another man's treasure. It has a pretty bloom, and Henbit has a beautiful bright purple bloom and even chickweed has a tiny white bloom, but I don't want any of them!

Speedwell, the weed

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #7759255

Our storm on Friday.

I think I over-watered the garden, smile.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2010
4:36 AM

Post #7759258

I was suprised this picture turned out so well.

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2010
5:04 AM

Post #7759331

Yes, Christopher was eliminated but he made it for 85 hours, 30 minutes and got 4th place. He will win a $2000.00 gift certificate toward a new Trane heating and cooling unit. This may not seem like a glamorous prize to someone his age but believe me, if you ever have to replace your a/c unit, you will appreciate the value of that prize! Been there--done that! Thank you all for being a part of his international fan club. LOL It's been fun and just think, you can watch it again next year, even if Christopher isn't in it!

Kiska, beautiful photos of the Chugach range. It was sweet of your little grandson to be rooting for Chris! :o))
Adina: I went to bed before Christopher dropped out. I was sort of relieved and yeet disappointed for him, too. I just found out a few minutes ago that he was out of the contest. Now I am rooting for the young woman, Candace! It's so nice that you have flowers from your childhood garden!

BP: at one point over the weekend, my yard looked like yours! Lots of rain!

It is looking like it is going to be a lovely day here although our high temp will be up in the mid-80's--Whew! I'm glad I went ahead and got my flat of impatiens in the ground last evening around p.m. Today I will be heading out to the grocery store--may also have to get another flat of impatiens :o))

You all have a nice day and I'll be back later. Thanks again for being a part of Chris' fan club! You guys and gals are the best!
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #7759387

Sorry Christopher didn't win the big prize, but sounds like he did OK for his time spent.
Rain ended about 2:30AM, with total for the storm 8.03". We had a lot of washouts on our driveway and presume water is about 6' over our bridge deck, keeping us in for a while. Will send pictures when we go to investigate. Many local roads are flooded and some with mudslides. What a mess!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #7759390

Marsue, I would get to a point where all I could think about was getting some sleep, and he gave most of them a run for the money! He also got a good prize!! It's a fun Festival!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #7759394

Sunfarm, it sounds like a real mess. Can you fix the wash-out? I hope the water goes down quickly. I think you need to think about a hog back bridge.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #7759395

Hey that was SOME effort!
Weird thing is the guy I thought was flagging at 75 hours is still in.

Sleep Tight Chris!

We have SUN!

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #7759407

Hooray, Ric! you have SUN! We do, too! :o))
Sunfarm Sally: wow, you guys were inundated with rain! I take it your DH didn't make it out in the boat to work today? Needless to say, you won't be going to the brunch this morning!
BP Sally: what is a hog back bridge?

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #7759435

Marsue, it's a really short bridge that has a high center. You don't see many of them anymore.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #7759474

I found this. It's close, but the one I was on was just a wooden structure and shorter.

HUMPBACK BRIDGE

A humpback bridge (formerly known as a crumpbacked bridge) is an arched road bridge having a sharp incline and decline and usually a narrow roadway.

Thumbnail by billyporter

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2010
6:05 AM

Post #7759506

Well they have a WINNER!
91 Hours AND 26 Minutes.
The guy I thought was flagging must have been sand bagging.

Nashville is about under water!
They had 13" of rain in 48 hours.
The river has blown the banks.
For those of you who have been to Nashville it's in a bowl.
If the levee breeches and it appears it will it's a wash.

17 People have lost their lives so far in TN, KY,AR and MS.
Tough Tough weekend!

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2010
6:32 AM

Post #7759589

A terrible week-end for a lot of folks in those states you mentioned, Ric! The 3 plus inches of rain we received is nothing compared to the 13 inches in Nashville! Has anybody heard from either Melody or Terry?. I know that Terry lives in the Nashville area. It doesn't sound good for Nashville at all!

Yes, the "old guy" (age 55) beat out all his younger competitors! Go, senior citizen, Terry! Good for you! :o))

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7759615

Oh Ric, it has been a sad week and a river out of it's banks is going to be out a while. I hope not too many are affected.

Marsue, great cheering! I'll bet everyone is glad it's over. Standing over three says in one spot with very litle sleep. Wow!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #7759788

Forgot about Terry!
YIKES!

Sunny and clear here... drying out

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 3, 2010
7:52 AM

Post #7759835

Wow, the senoir citizen won! Good for him!
Mau, I'm so happy sun came out for you!
And for you too , Ric!
Sally, thanks. That was quite a storm! I think the iris has a name, but I don't know it!LOL

It's still windy out there, but sunny and warm.

Calendula blooming too.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2010
7:54 AM

Post #7759839

Update! I took a stroll down the driveway and found water even higher than I have ever seen it, and still expected to rise another foot or two. We may have to move the boat farther up the hill to keep it from floating off. I am guessing the bridge deck is about 18' below the water surface. Glad we didn't pay extra for lakefront property!
The water will probably take several days to subside; we may not be able to tear off old deck and form a new one this coming weekend as planned. The other issue is washouts on the road. DH is still home with me but had limited stamina for filling washouts on the road. They will have to be addressed before anyone (even with 4WD) gets in or out.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2010
7:57 AM

Post #7759858

Here's another view of our lake. You can't even tell where the bridge is. I don't think a humpback would work for us!

Thumbnail by sunfarm

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2010
8:01 AM

Post #7759866

I haven't seen her online either, but I usually don't for some reason. How about Rita in Jackson, TN? She's right in the thick of it too. Nashville is a very neat city, haven't been there since the mid '80s. When we moved back here I told Dave that I want to go, but since he thinks that Nashville is all about country music, and he doesn't like country music, I can't get him to go. I'm going to suggest for our next big vacation, whenever that will be, we go to Eastern Tennessee. I notice that Knoxville didn't get hit.

It's supposed to be near 90* today and sunny! We went from freezing to roasting!
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #7759871

Here's a section of the road. I don't know how many tons of crushed stone we lost.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #7759877

Love the pictures Sunfarm!

I'm glad Chris got a prize! That couldn't be easy and I bet he went home and went straight to bed! It will take him a couple of days to recoup from that.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #7759964

Oooooooooohhhhh!!! Sorry about that, Mau! Chris will appreciate that prize one day. I never would have made it through the first day.

Lots to catch up on. Flooding, lives lost, neat bridges, flowers, dogs doing figure 8s! Wow!

50.2 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 38%
Dew Point: 26 F
Wind: 3.0 mph from the South
Wind Gust: 16.0 mph
Pressure: 30.18 in (Rising)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 6500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 8500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Hosta finally coming up.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #7760159

Sunny, with a few clouds shading the sun briefly. Still a chilly breeze. We only have the sunny doors and windows on the east open.

Adina, I grew a calendula last year called ''Porcupine.'' I'm hooked on them now! They are so cheery!

Oh Sunfarm, I can't believe the mess you have. No, you need a bigger bridge than that. Oh my. I'm so sorry!

Chrissy, that is a temperature extreme!

Celia, I think you just got caught up, LOL! Aren't hostas neat when they start to grow!

I saw Tennessee's flooding. Oh my gosh, I really feel for them.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2010
10:12 AM

Post #7760240

If this is the worst in the 13+ years we have been here, we can't complain. The only problem is that the older we get the harder it is to deal with fixing the road ourselves. The bridge usually does not go under water more than once every couple of years, and usually for less than a day. This is quite unusual. At least we have plenty of warning and can decide whether to leave or stay here to take care of the animals if the access problem lasts more than a couple of days, At least there is no worry about unexpected company!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2010
10:41 AM

Post #7760333

Wow, Sunfarm, those photos really tell the story! A helicopter and somebody who knows how to fly it would be in order about now, if you really have to get out for some reason! Hopefully, this is one of those "hundred year floods" and it won't happen again for a very long time.

Celia: I am a big hosta fan but this is the first year that I have had a shade garden. A DG friend, Charlotte, gave me a bunch of hosta last fall. I divided the big clumps which she had dug from her garden into smaller clumps and spread them around the garden. They are really growing and looking good. This latest round of rain has been good for them! This is a photo of the new shade bed which I took on Saturday after Friday night's storm.

Thumbnail by marsue

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 3, 2010
1:48 PM

Post #7760883

Here's a better shot of the first TB Iris to open.
Sunshine Boy

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2010
2:28 PM

Post #7760989

At least the house is at an elevation more than 100' above the "lake" and I can enjoy the solitude (other than the company of DH) and go about my business as usual. Some people get antsy about not being able to go out (whether they really need to or not) and that may be a partial explanation for the loss of life. We are up to 4 fatalities in KY from this storm. I know that [apart from the necessary road repairs] by waiting a few days I will be able to come and go at will. Hope I don't need the helicopter.

The view across the valley looks pretty normal--nice and green.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7761554

Mid 70s and sunshine all day today. Nice little breeze too to make it perfect. Spent most of the day at work outside taking care of the greenhouse then came home and got a bunch of my perennials planted. Forgot to water though so will have to do that tomorrow after work.

My 3 hosta bed.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #7761653

Sun you were prepared for this and I'm sure it will eventually be worked out.
Lots of problems w/ that driveway for sure.
Sorry you had to miss the Lunch w/ the Gov's Wife.
Email her maybe they will have a do over...

Sunny here and drying out.
We had to pump out the new pond hole and we'll let it dry out before doing much more.
Had a weird day.
Went to TS for some stuff.
Ran into a guy who raises bait fish and taught him the joys of Skippy Filters.
That took about a 1/2 hour.
As we were getting our stuff we ran into an old friend.
Haven't seen him in years.
This was 15 miles from home... for him and us.
So we spend another 1/2 hour catching up...lol!

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 3, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #7761654

So sorry to hear of all the deaths and damages from the flooding.
59*F a gorgeous day-we took a drive to get a better look at Mt. McKinley. The best view is about 80 miles from Palmer, at Talkeetna. Talkeetna is the headquarters for those wanting to climb McKinley.

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #7761664

Beautiful!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 3, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #7761704

Impressive, Kiska!

Too bad Christopher didn't win the truck. It was fun watching, though.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #7761954

Kelli: Yes, it was fun watching and then switching over to DG to see who had said what about it! LOL Now what are we going to do for the next few days? I was getting addicted to watching the web cam! ROFLOL Well, there is always next year!

Mt. McKinley is very impressive--and beautiful!

I like your hostas, Pepper. Do you know the name of that one on the right--the yellow one?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 3, 2010
8:36 PM

Post #7762130

When I was in Alaska for National Guard training, we could see Mt. McKinley, but not good.
One day it was clear as a bell. Beautiful mountain.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2010
4:11 AM

Post #7762521

Sunfarm, there's always a bright spot isn't there! (unexpected company, LOL!) I'm a person who would enjoy the solitude for a while. As long as I had cream for my coffee :o) You do have a beautiful view!

Marsue, given hostas are wonderful! You are really going to have a nice bed in a year or so!

Bernie, Sunshine is a good name! Yellow is what I have the least of. I did get a historic yellow self, that should be coming into it's glory this year. We rescued it, and a blue self from tall grass. Now they are mowing the area with a tractor. I'm so glad I saw them first!

Pepper, for some reason 'My three Hosta bed" made me smile. They're going to look great upstairs! Nice way to sneak another bed past your Dad, LOL!

Ric, laughing. Around here I can go for a month without talking to anyone. I walk around town and if I talk to one, I'll talk to three. Then, when I repeat news, I have no idea who I heard it from because I don't talk to anyone. Make sense?

Kiska, all the brown tells me you're just heading into your spring. Mt Mkkinley isn't going to lose it's snow cover any time soon. How pretty it is!

50 and another chilly morning. There's still a little breeze, but it will be windy again. At least it will be in the 80's. I made my rhubarb shortcake last night.

Bernie, you get the first piece of shortcake!

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 4, 2010
5:04 AM

Post #7762611

Hey, I'm working on a Rhubarb Crisp here. Oh my, where's my waistline headed.

50, sunshine, & of course, windy.

I put a few plants in around the water falls area. Some of that plastic lawn edging went in along one side.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2010
5:25 AM

Post #7762643

Bernie, ROTFL!!! I warned DH that if he didn't eat his piece of rhubarb pie, I was going to have to! My waist is getting out there too. I can't blame middle age sine I've been middle for a few years now!

The pond and falls are going to come together now if you can find time to work on them.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2010
8:33 AM

Post #7763138

40.2 F with 54 for the high. More rain possible but after that we should be clear of it.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 36 F
Humidity: 41%
Dew Point: 18 F
Wind: 6.0 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 14.0 mph
Pressure: 30.22 in (Rising)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 6000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 7500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Ice plants.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #7763293

It's 79, warm, windy, and that perfect, step into spring/summer day. Now I'm happy it's windy.

Celia, (((big hug))) Maybe you should have planted sunflowers instead? Those look pretty net!
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #7763392

Ric, I suspect it will be a while before Fran Drescher and Coach Cal get together at the Gov's mansion again; it would have been a nice change-of-pace to be able to attend. Coincidentally, I am proofreading/editing the manuscript for a friend's book about the journeys of Pere Marquette. It is interesting to read about his wild water adventures when I know I would have some of my own if I were to try to go out. DH was tired from his water and mud adventures in the basement, so has not yet gone to check the "lake" water elevation. The hydrology websites show both Red & Kentucky rivers are down about 3' from crest last night, but I doubt [both because of time lag and interference between the two] that we are down that far. It may be the end of the week before we see the bridge again. That may delay our plans to replace the deck this weekend, as the substructure might not be accessible. We will have to play it by ear.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #7763797

Sunfarm, please take a look at this link. You have been there/done that so you possibly will be able to offer some encouragement to Jill:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1093829/#new
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2010
1:10 PM

Post #7763813

Hey... Happy May everyone! hahaha... as always, it's taken me awhile to get here! hahaha.. had a good RU on Sunday.. got some really nice plants & met some great people too! It's always nice to put a face to the name!
MarilynTX.. Houston is so different to here I am really surprised you can grow anything..not meant to be sarcastic, but sympathetic.

Kiska.. you now have temps in the 50's!!?? WOO HOO!! hahahah. Of course when it gets super hot here I will want to read those same temps from you again ok?! hahahaha.

It rained overnight, so I am happy I don't have to water the garden!! I was able to get out there today to plant my "new" plants I got Sat. It's going to get to 86F.. getting hotter (90's) for Wed/Thursday! UGH!

My heart goes out to everyone in TN & areas that got hit with floods, etc. I hope I never have to experience a tornado.. as I live in a mobile home & our park only has ONE exit/entrance!! With over 400 homes here getting out will/may be impossible!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 4, 2010
2:19 PM

Post #7764051

HI guys! Great pics of your plants!
Sally, hmm, that cake looks great! What are those on top of it?
Ric, what a nice surprise to meet your old friend!
Mau, I hope Chris read my message on Facebook! I told him I am your friend. Your shade garden looks great!
Bernie, those tulips and iris are awesome!
Jackie, no snow, yeaaah! Great view!
Celia, what a cool ice plant!
Sunfarm, I hope you can get your road fixed. Are you doing it yourself? Just today we had someone getting our road fixed too. It's going to take at least a week to get more rocks on it and settle it . Today this huge machine came and leveled the road.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 4, 2010
2:21 PM

Post #7764058

A closer look of what he was doing.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #7764152

It hit up to 80* today and it was cool this morning... I work on old deck woods to remove the 3" nails I save it for some I need...

Ju and Rusty playing in yard and race circle around the yard and I almost trip over by Ju hit me my calf leg pretty hard and sure both of them are so wild and rough...So, I better watch out again today! I has to keep apart each other so Rusty got real good reason to hurt Ju that Ju keep bother him... So Ju start to yip! Then Ju sit behave like brave same time Rusty doing... I would say thank for Rusty punish Ju for hurt my leg...I am okay for now it not bad hurt...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #7764247

Rusty, I couldn't help but that laugh at the rambunctious pups! I'm gald you aren't really hurt, though!

BP, I DID!!! LOL

Very sunny and cool today. 52

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7764465

Adina, send that road grader over here! We could use it whenever the water level goes down. DH checked the "lake" at 6PM and there has been no change in the level. He will row the boat across in the morning so DD can meet him and he can borrow a spare vehicle from her clinic to go to work. I will be nervous about that, but hope to hear he is OK once he gets across. I don't mind staying by myself.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7764601

Marsue, thanks for the link. I have contacted her already.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7764684

Sunny, windy, and very warm with temps in the low 80s. Plants dried out pretty quickly at work today so spent the last hour and a half watering. Normally takes about an hour.

Hosta and an old yellow iris. I have a tag for the hosta but don't remember the name. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #7764813

Well it was beautiful here today.
Upper 70's and SUNNY.
Would have been better if we hadn't had that pop up T-Storm last night.
Now everything gets to dry out again...lol!

Got stung by a Hornet this afternoon.
My fault totally. It's been 10 years since I got nailed by one of them.
MAN do those little puppies pack a punch!
I'd rather get stung by 5 Wasps.
Hornet venom has a nerve agent in it.
Fires up the pain receptors to their peak.

Tip: get stung by a Hornet get ice on the site immediately.
After a minute or two I milked the wound and got a little venom out.
Then Benadryl cream and more ice. (Meat tenderizer doesn't work on wasp or hornet stings)
Leave the ice on for at least 15 minutes.
Pull it off before and it feels just like being stung again.
More Benadryl cream and you are done.
Except for a very slight tenderness at the injection site it feels fine now.

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #7765042

Make a baking powder paste. Baking powder and water. Works like a charm on drawing out the poison and getting the pain to end sooner. I've been stung so many times that at one point I had a major allergy. This concotion and ice are my main defense against them.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2010
4:43 AM

Post #7765622

The problem with wasps and hornets is that they can sting multiple times and call in their buddies to do likewise. That's no fun, and can be life threatening if you have an allergic reaction. Get an Rx for an Epi-pen if you think you might have a reaction greater than Benadryl can handle.
DH is going out by boat in the next hour. I will report on his success when I hear from him.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2010
4:48 AM

Post #7765631

Sunfarm, proofreading/editing a manuscript is pretty impressive!

Cindylove, how much room do you have to garden? Trailor park yards here, can be narrow, but long. It's too bad the park doesn't provide a few shelters for emergancies. That's a lot of people for one exit.

Adina, it's rhubarb on top. Big machine! Will you get gravel put down?

Rusty, rambuncious dogs can really pack a wallop! I'm glad they didn't knock you down. Rusty is a very observant dog and will teach Ju some manners. Ju is still a playful puppy, full of energy.

Celia, beautiful pleated columbine. I have a white pleat and one that isn't. I never planted any white singles, so I guess I got a pretty seedling instead of a distorted one.

Sunfarm, are the waters calm now so he doesn't tire himself out rowing, or end up halfway to who knows where?

Pepper, nice hosta! It's going to be a big one! Show the iris when it opens!

Ric, I hear you on things drying out again! So sorry about the hornet sting. I've never had the displeasure, but I will remember the ice tip!

Pepper, I'll remember that tip too.

Yesterday was windy until evening. I planted the rest of the garden plants out, and hand watered the whole garden and asparagus. I see radish shoulders! We just got 3-1/2'' over the last couple of weeks, but my dirt is perfect for planting, crumbly. My iris is starting to bloom and I will have a wonderful show this year! I can't get pictures till the wind quits and we're in for more wind today!

It's 58 and isn't supposed to get much watmer and it will be windy with an occasional showers. We had a pass-over a bit earlier and it was enough to spot the roof, but not roll off :o)

I couldn't resist getting a picture. Who knows, maybe they got me too :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2010
5:02 AM

Post #7765660

BP: is that the rhubarb shortcake? Looks yummy!
Celia: no baby yet, I presume? I'm sure you will let us all know in CAPITAL LETTERS!! LOL
Sunfarm: I saw your posts on Jill's thread. I am sure you can be a great encourager for her, even more so than some of the rest of us.
Adina: That is some piece of heavy equipment! I hope they do a good job in smoothing out your road.
Cindy: the RU's are always so much fun! The Mid-South group is having our RU on May 15th in Central, LA. I am really looking forward to it! cperdue (Charlotte) and I are leaving on the morning of the 13th to drive down there. We'll return on the 16th.
Ric: OUCH! glad you had a remedy that worked for you. It has been a few years since I have been stung by one of those flying critters. The last time a yellow jacket's nest was in the hose reel, unknown to me, and when I started to pull out the hose, WHAM, right on the side of my nose! It happened so fast I didn't know the "jacket" was there until it was all over. My nose looked like I had been on a month-long boozing binge! LOL (BTW, I don't drink--well, maybe a nice smooth glass of white or rose wine every couple of years--LOL).
Pepper: I use the baking soda, too.

I still haven't managed to get the weeds sprayed in my lawn. :o(( It has been somewhat windy and I don't want any drifting of the weed killer onto my flower beds. Yesterday was just plain HOT-90F here! whew! Kiska's temps are sounding pretty good! LOL More of the same on tap for today. Unseasonably warm--maybe it will be cooler than normal in June! LOL

orange Christmas cactus which I bought in December is blooming now.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2010
5:09 AM

Post #7765669

Sunfarm: I meant to tell you to be sure and let us know when you hear that your DH made it safely to work!
BP: we crossed. A strange-looking white helicopter went over our area the other day. I had never seen one like it. May have been associated with the AF since we have a base about 10 miles from here. We have fly-overs by teams of C-130 pilots-in-training on a regular basis. Little Rock Air Force Base (in Jacksonville, AR) is one of the Air Force's major training bases for the C130 pilots.

My "bath-tub poinsettia" is still going!

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #7765713

Marsue, yes it is and yes it is :o) What a beautiful bloom! And I only thought they came in red. Poinsettas too? Beautiful! A white helicopter sounds unusual.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #7765851

BP: I am drooling over your rhubarb shortcake! Yes, the Christmas or Thanksgiving Cactus come in white, red, orange and maybe pink or fuchsia. I have a White Thanksgiving cactus that just finished blooming. According to Ric, the difference in the Thanksgiving Cactus and the Christmas Cactus is in the leaves.

This was my Thanksgiving/Christmas Cactus in bloom around Easter time.

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2010
6:30 AM

Post #7765852

Lovely Mau!

I went on a house tour in Miami FL years and years back.
Actually a Mansion Tour held by a real estate company I seem to remember.
One house had a glass covered grand entrance w/ a 20+' ceiling and sweeping staircases to each side leading to a balcony.
The wrought iron railings were covered in blooming poinsettia vine.
Must have been 75' of plants. They are amazing when taken out of the little Christmas pots.

We're looking at partly cloudy and 85 today.
WAY too hot!
Look for someone to get hit hard again in a few days.

The Pond plants are coming on strong.

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2010
6:34 AM

Post #7765861

The pond is looking great, Ric! --plants, fish, stonework, waterfall, and all! good job!
That must have been a sight to see with all those poinsettia trailing down the railings!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #7765871

Christmas cactus (SSchlumbergera x Buckleyi) segments are scalloped and
Thanksgiving cactus (Schlumbergera truncate) segments are toothed.
I have a Friend in CA who specializes in them and the Cereus.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7766017

He rowed across with no problem except trouble steering the boat since he could not turn his head enough to see where he was going. He said he was a bit muddy from the launching and landing but still presentable enough to go to work. Water is down about 4' from crest of about 20' over bridge deck, so we have a while to go.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #7767180

JuJu is 6 months old and getting big and Rusty is now 7 yrs old as his birthday yesterday...

The weather is getting warm up and nice day... Ju hate water while I try to train her to use the water so Rusty love it sometimes...

I did plant 28 tomatoes last week... Also potatoes get growing good in ground and 2 plastic trash cans which is white, blue and red...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #7767193

Happy birthday, Rusty-dog!!! Nice on the tomato planting!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 5, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #7767294

28 tomatoes, wow! I think I'm doing well if I plant 6.

Close to being hot.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on May 05, 2010
78 F
Clear
Humidity: 36%
Dew Point: 49 F
Wind: 9 mph from the SE

some stuff around the house
epiphyllum "Michelle Davis"

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 5, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #7767295

purple trumpet vine

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 5, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #7767296

larkspur

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7767605

Pretty decent weather today. Had a high of mid 70s with little to no breeze and sunshine.

This little guy was enjoying the weather too. Anyone know what kind he is? I wasn't able to get a face shot so this will have to do.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7767648

Hope the Hubby doesn't have too many more rowing days.
Have him tie a rope from shore to shore and pull across.
Much easier.

Happy Birthday Rusty!

Lovely Kelli!

Pepper looks like a skink.
When in doubt go w/ the most common for the area.
Most likely a Eumeces fasciatus male... 5 lined Missouri Skink.
The females have the distinctive lines.

http://www.emeraldexotics.net/Photos/Reptiles/Lizards/Skinks/Eumeces-fasciatus/Eumeces_fasciatus.jpg

Mid 80's here today.
Again tomorrow.

Cold by the weekend... 58 for a Saturday high!
It was warmer than that at day break.

Ric
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #7767717

Ric, that would have to be a darned long rope-- a couple thousand feet since the road bends and stays flat quite a distance on the other side of the creek. I think I have persuaded him to stay in Lexington tonight at least. Water was down just another foot when I checked it 4PM. The dogs are loving it, though. It got to 83 this afternoon and was muggy.

I concur with your identification of 5-lined skink.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2010

Post #7767736

Here's Tiedye enjoying the muddy water!

Thumbnail by sunfarm

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2010

Post #7767739

Yikes!
Break out the Bass Boat!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 5, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #7767876

Is the water moving fast? It was always the speed of high water rather than the depth that I found scary.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7767965

Thanks for the id on the skink. My dad wasn't sure and if it's not a garter I can only tell you it's a snake. LOL
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 5, 2010
10:36 PM

Post #7768480

9:30pm and bright as day.
sunfarm~wow~impressive photos.
loved the other's photos of plants and flowers and puppy dogs.
Rusty-Happy birthday to your Rusty.
ric~glad you are ok; sounds awful.
We're going to Anchorage tomorrow for Frank's second surgery; this time on his Left foot. It's good now knowing what to expect.
The ice is getting thin on the lakes.
Some lakes are now open, not this one, though.

Thumbnail by kiska

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2010
2:03 AM

Post #7768577

Kelli, in answer to your question about whether the water is fast-moving: No. We are fortunate that it is just water backed up into our creek and there is little flow, though on Sunday when DD went out she said she saw water rushing down the creek in greater volume and at greater speed than she had ever seen before. The backwater is pretty dirty, with some flotsam. Of course, we don't get 8+ inches of rain here very often, thank goodness. I really enjoy your pictures and tales from your hikes.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2010
3:45 AM

Post #7768640

45 and a bright cool morning. I can already see a hint of pink sunrise.

Marsue, I've been eating nice small portions of the shortcake. There's 1-1/2 c sugar in the cake and equal in the water and rhubarb topping, yeah,YIKES! I wish I had room for a catus. My friend who passed had a huge red one. Her Granddaughter bought a wagon and it sits in it permanently. She wheels it outside for the summer and in for the winter. They are just beautiful in any color!

Ric, I can't imagine watering 75 plants, but the rewards would be great! The pond is nice and I love the turtle! Thanks Ric, my friend had the Thanksgiving cactus and it was a beautiful red.

Sunfarm, 4' is a good amount to go down. Imagine if it hadn't done anything at all.

Rusty, Happy Birthday to Rusty!! Ju is growing up, but still has puppy in her face :o) I'll bet she ends up loving water. Ae you canning this year? You are going to have good potatoes all winter!

Kelli, smile. 6 sounds like a lot for two people, but you have to have back-up tomatoes for those days nothing wants to ripen! I put in 6 and still have a couple re-pots that are too small to go out. And I won't need to can this year. Gorgeous Epi! The trumpet vine looks like a beautiful watercolor painting and I always have a place for larkspur.

Pepper, nice reptile picture! I know that much :o)

Sunfarm, in the first picture the water is muddy and uninviting, yet I find a beauty in it anyway because it's peaceful, and the hill just completes the picture. Swim girl swim!

Kiska, except for knowing it's fixing something, I'll bet Frank isn't looking forward to another round of big foot :o( Love the great expanse of the sky versus river!

We are headed for a cool weekend with more rain expected. I'm wondering if it's to be a cool June too. One year it just didn't warm up at all.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2010

Post #7768775

[quote=]Ae you canning this year?[/quote]

Yes, I gonna canning some of tomatoes for winter soup also jams,too!

Rusty say "woof, (thanks! for birthday)"...

I better get busy to get all the nail out of the old wood from decker and make planter box...

Also, I have to get ready for RU in Iowa a week from now...
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2010
5:31 AM

Post #7768777

I'm not going to swim in that stuff--I just hope the dogs don't get sick--the vet is on the other side for a few days! I will check the level about noon. I don't think I am up to more than one hike today.
Sally, I'll share with you what I did to lower the calories in my rhubarb. I cut back the sugar and used stevia to bring sweetness back to what I wanted. Since it was not thick enough then, I added some tapioca when cooking it. Turned out fine and DH didn't even notice.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2010
5:53 AM

Post #7768829

Rusty, Belated doggie birthday wishes to your Rusty. :o))
Sunfarm: Tiedye likes water! LOL
Kiska: best wishes to you and Frank on this next surgery!
BP: I may have to make a trip to Iowa for a bite of that rhubarb shortcake! LOL

I cleaned out behind the storage shed today and bagged up two big bags of leaves from back there. I also picked up some brick that were stacked back there. There was a nest of ants in the brick so I sprinkled them with fire ant poison granules. I think there is the equivalent to an ant-sized New York City under the earth in my yard. There are ants everywhere! I sprinkle the ant poison wherever I see one of their mounds on top of the ground but it is a never-ending battle! GRRRRRRR
I also bagged up another two big bag of leaves in the north end of the new shade bed. That made more area available for some of the shade plants I will be getting at our RU in Louisiana on the 15th. :o))
I did manage to get the yard sprayed for weeds last evening. The wind was down to literally zero mph so I took advantage of it to do the spraying. I couldn't spray on one side of the house, though, because the neighbors were celebrating their grandbaby's first birthday out on their driveway--didn't want to take any chances with spraying them with weed poison!

# Today: Sunny. Warm. High 89F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Generally clear. Low 64F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

A view of the new shade bed looking south behind the shed. This was taken before I bagged up the leaves.

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #7768884

Lots to catch up on!!!

34.6 F with 50 for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 35 F
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 15 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 30.08 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 5000 ft
Scattered Clouds 8000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Purple irises.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #7769710

Water was about a foot below the bridge deck, with not much damage to the road on the public [county] side. That suggests all the fun of repairs will be on our property. The creek is still way out of its banks, but at least we can get across the bridge, even if the road is too rough to drive up to the house.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2010
11:49 AM

Post #7769729

Here's a closeup of why we need a new deck even more than we did last year. At least the expensive marine plywood has served us well when it got too late to pour concrete last fall.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7770002

Eeeek!
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7770242

Eeeeek! is right! Especially with the slippery mud on the surface. I am hoping that the 0.1" of rain forecast for tomorrow overnight will clean off some of the muck and make the redecking over the weekend a more pleasant task. The weather is supposed to cool off and be perfect for pouring and curing the concrete Monday and next week. Everyone, please cross your fingers for us.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #7770593

High of low 70s, maybe even just high 60s and sunny today. Had quite a bit of wind this afternoon and now storms are starting to form.

One of my garden beds. The blooms you see are my columbine. The shovel is there cause we have tree roots in our pipes so the septic tends to get clogged often.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7770776

Whoa that's a mess!
But as you stated earlier the driveway will be the real problem.
Hope you get a pressure washing rain!

Pep that's lovely!
Tons of Columbine!

Upper 70's today.
Our Iris are in full flower.
Second year for most of them so we're finally getting a flush of bloom.

The Brickroom and Stack Pond construction are done.
Just some cleanup and planting to do.

The bottom tank is 110 Gal, the top two are 40 Gallons.
So about 665 pounds of water plus the tank weights above the bottom tank.

These will house the Comets and Shubunkins

Thumbnail by henryr10

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
4:39 AM

Post #7771466

49 and a good rain. I got up at 1:30 am and caught lightning in the south and east, so I knew it was coming. It started around 2:30 am. We've had some thunder and lightning 3 miles away this morn.

Rusty, there's nothing like using your own tomatoes for chili! Do you use any to make swiss steak? My Mom used to simmer roast chunks all day in sweetened tomato juice.

Sunfarm, I had even put on the recipe to cut back on the sugar and add cinnamon :o) It's funny how much sugar is in the old recipes. I do have Stevia packets.

Marsue, you'll have to run down to my Dad's. I sent the last of it home with him :o) It's too bad about the fire ants. I am so glad they haven't come here, yet. Too many bugs seem to be moving north. Smiling over the anticipated plants. We had to spray too. I have speedwell in every open spot, gardens and lawn. The impatiens are already a bright spot!

Celia, those are nice big buds on the iris!

Sunfarm, it's so neat to have a bridge... when you can find it. Mud all over and yep, you need a new deck. Are you pouring your own cement? My Dad has a small cement mixer, but it's for very small jobs.

Pepper, ever try any of the products that dissolve tree roots? I always wondered if they worked. You have a bit of color here and there. I love the little girl! She's adorable!

Ric, don't you love the iris when they finally get going! Mine are third year since dividing and I think every one is going to bloom this year. I see a few sneaked in with the wrong bunch, so I have to tag and remove in July. I'll even have some for the give-away pile. How neat! Are the Comets and Shubunkins a small fish?

Speaking of adorable, why doesn't Crystal call!!!

Anticipating rain, I weeded speedwell from around my little violas in the rose bed. I should have had the putty knife too. I found a lot of dandelions in another bed and got those out. Yesterday the wind finally calmed down. Finally!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 7, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #7771515

Rain overnight.
46 Cloudy

New job. Good old customer purchased a house for their own residence. It was a short sale house. Needs a bunch of work. We will be replacing all the interior doors, trimming all the windows, all new baseboard. Also a bathroom vanity, linen closet, & another small closet door. Nice job for this time of year.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7771587

Sounds like a nice gig Bernie.
Hope you don't find any 'surprises'.
Should go pretty quickly.

BP the Comets and Shubunkin are goldfish.
As such they can reach 18" or so at full growth.
But it will take many years.
Plus they basically, barring disease and predators, live about 20 years.
The Comets are spawning now...
The Koi can get slightly over 2' long and live 30+ years.

53 here going for 86.
Then the rain.
Tomorrow high is projected to be 56... somebody's going to get some bad weather!

Iris... NOID on any of them so chime in if you recognize any.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #7771617

My Fav

Thumbnail by henryr10

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
6:32 AM

Post #7771688

Sally, the deck will require about 6-1/2 cubic yards of concrete (about 2/3 of a full truckload). The little mixer I kept after dispersing my lab wlll mix about 2 cubic feet easily--probably something similar to what you dad has. That would mean over 1000 batches for the deck. I am not looking for that kind of work! We will order ready mix, thank you. On a bit of a note of irony, we will buy from the company I worked for as quality control manager in the late '70s and early '80s, before I started my own business. The concrete they furnished for our new front porch a couple of years ago was of fine quality, It is reassuring to know they can do it without my looking over their shoulder (LOL). Wish I had kept some of my testing equipment, though, so we would know when it has enough strength to drive across. We will probably give it a week to be on the safe side. The weather should be ideal, with highs around 80 and lows around 60, with "Mother Nature's Curing Compound" [rain] due during the week. I just hope it will be gentle.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #7771696

Bernie, I'm glad you got an enjoyable job. It's fun to make places look new and beautiful!

Ric, they sound really neat. If you've posted a picture before I don't remember seeing it. You might have to refresh my memory. Where do you overwinter them? Are they compatable with the koi? I love the iris. I think I have a similar one that we rescued a couple of years ago. The blue and white is beautiful too! I don't know if I have a favorite. I'll have to see this year :o)

I was weeding last night and kept hearing the robins. I finally looked up and this guy was siting there looking at me. He was just out of the nest. He watched me a while and then hopped to the edge of the road. He was still there when I came back from dumping my weeds, so I picked him up, made him squawk and set him in the flower bed. He promptly hopped out into the grass. I took pictures and set him squawking, back in the bed. He stayed. I looked over and saw the neighbors cat so I had to scare it off. I watched a while and should have gotten a picture of him snoozing. I hope he made it thru the night.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #7771713

Sunfarm, I kind of thought so :o) Isn't irony neat! How does the strenght test work? I hope you take a lot of pictures of the changes, and yes, may your rains be gentle.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
6:48 AM

Post #7771746

The normal practice is to take samples of the fresh concrete when it is being placed. You may have seen a set of 3 or 4 "cans" of concrete 12" tall by 6" diameter on construction sites. They are taken to a lab and put in a hydraulic press and squeezed until they fail. They are tested at different ages. The load is calculated to find the compressive strength. Most mixes have about 3/4 of their design strength when they are about a week old. We will buy a high strength mix (about 4500 psi) that should be fine in that time without having to make the test cylinders.

There is also a nondestructive test instrument that can be used on the concrete in place to tell approximate strength, but it is not that precise. I may be able to borrow my old one from the engineer to whom I sold a bunch of my equipment. I did keep the core drill and diamond bits, but I am not about to drill holes in my new deck!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
6:55 AM

Post #7771768

Sunfarm, yes! I do remember seeing that done on TV! I think the show was about bridges. What ingredient is used in the higher strength mixes?

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #7771782

My mom used to cook roast beef or roast chunk and meatloaf with tomatoes...

I cook some soup with tomatoes also mexican refried bean w/tomatoes and fried tomatoes, too...

Sharon Rose...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #7771829

It all sounds like good eats Rusty!

Beautiful!! Love the color!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 7, 2010
7:53 AM

Post #7771913

Rusty, that's a beautiful rose! Happy Belated Birthday for Rusty and Juju...she is a sweetie!
Ric, your pond looks terrific! Love the irises, my fav is the second too. What is your fav color? Mine is blue, mostly dark blue.
Kelli, what gorgeous blooms ! That trumpet vine is so beautiful!
Mau, I love the new path and the impatiens. Poinsettia and the Christmas cactus are gorgeous!
Jackie, keeping Frank in my prayers for the surgery. Take care and keep us posted when you can. Lovely view of the lake!
Sun, that's a lot of water! Thank God is over! Just say the word and I'll send over the road grader to your place!LOL
Celia, what lovely columbines!
Sally BP, Yes , they will put gravel too. I'll post a picture later. Now I'm at work and try to catch up. I have never seen such a purple sparrow, so cute! I also had a baby sparrow out of the nest last summer , but I was crazy enough to climb on a table and a chair over it to reach the nest and drop him inside. DH doesn't know!LOL It shows you are living next to an airport...I have several pictures of the airplanes flying over our home!LOL
Pepper, great flower bed!
It's cloudy today , but very warm. The air pressure is getting down and I have a terrible headache...grrr!
My purple irises are blooming!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #7771932

The strength of the concrete is mostly based on the proportioning of cement and water. The more cement and the less water the stronger it will be, though this is a generalization. There are chemicals you can put in to make it workable with less water, but the usual answer is to put more cement in higher strength mixes. This also helps explain why it is usually a bad idea to add water to the mix for the convenience of placing it more easily. You may be sacrificing strength and durability. Think of concrete as being like food: If the box says to add 2 cups of water to the cake mix or Jello and you add more than that, you will ruin the final product.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #7771978

Loving all the pics, stories, flowers, etc...

42.2 F with 58 for the high. 70 for the weekend.
Partly Cloudy
Windchill: 42 F
Humidity: 37%
Dew Point: 18 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph
Pressure: 30.30 in (Rising)
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 6000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

I can't concentrate on anything. I never thought I would be so excited. I went shopping for baby items yesterday.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 7, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #7772050

38*F Sunny
It's so pretty to see ric's beautifully contained water-glad the water is receeding in your creek, sunfarm.
Loved the baby, "things", kwanjin.
CG~nice to have a project ready to go. I know they will love the results.
Flowers and flower beds are great to see here.
Franks' surgery went well as has the first night. Thanks for the well-wishes and I'll pass them along.
Yesterday a first hint of green on the trees in the back yard.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2010
8:56 AM

Post #7772080

Hi, Kiska!!! Pretty pic. I am enjoying being Oma even though baby isn't here yet. LOL We got her a stroller/carrier, too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Passage-Travel-System-Libby/10746133

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
9:44 AM

Post #7772227

Adina, he is a little purple. My camera does that sometimes. I took it with a flash because it was a 7:00 pm and a little cloudy. No matter how many times an plane or helicopter fly over, I still look up :o) Beautiful color on your iris. I'll bet it's scented. I hope your headache goes away.

Sunfarm, that's interesting. I didn't know it was a simple matter of more or less.

Celia, is that for Crystal or for when you have the baby? :o) I am wearing such a big smile for you!! Crystal will really be grateful for these things! Nice!

Kiska, I'm so glad it went weel. He's now on his way to recovery! I hope it goes fast for him. I'm sure he's anxious to enjoy the summer. The mountains look like a painting in front of real scenery.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #7772478

Sally, I may have oversimplified, but even people working in the industry sometimes forget the basics and do stupid, counterproductive things.

Kiska, hope Frank continues to mend with minimal discomfort.

Took a stroll around the yard to see what has bloomed while I was so preoccupied with the flooding. The wind was so strong I had blurry pictures even with a fairly high shutter speed.
Here's the orange azalea's last hurrah. It is still a colorful sight.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
10:46 AM

Post #7772483

The iris bed really needs to be weeded, but that hasn't even made the bottom of my priority list!

Thumbnail by sunfarm

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
10:48 AM

Post #7772495

On the other side of the house, only this guy's motion caught my eye. Perfect camouflage in the rough bark of the locust trunk.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
1:17 PM

Post #7772853

I'm behind again! LOL!!!

Nice pics everyone! I hope you all in the Ohio Valley stay safe this evening, supposed to get kinda nasty up there this afternoon.

I can't focus on anything today, don't want to go outside because it's really windy, but don't want to be in here either! It's in the mid 80's though.

I just got the best news!! My dad, who will be 64 in June, just went to the VA hospital today and got his first ever complete physical! He's an alcoholic, has been for 35 years on Budweiser, and the only thing this man has wrong with him is his blood pressure is 150/85, and he was nervous in there so it's probably not even that high. That's great for me because my mom will be 62 in August and has nothing wrong with her, other than her nerve damage, her blood pressure is 120/80, cholesterol is right on target, and weight is right on target. This is such good news!!!!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 7, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #7773199

Thanks so much~
Great news for your dad, crissyr; so glad he's in good health. ( Your mom, too.)
sunfarm-I'd have a heartattack if I saw that:)) The flowers are beautiful.
55*F Sunny and windy.
Been several months but worth the wait; green today.

This message was edited May 7, 2010 3:48 PM

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2010
4:20 PM

Post #7773316

Rusty: pretty rose!
Adina: sorry about your headache--hope it is better now!
BP: cute shot of the baby bird. I hope it made it through the night, too!
Ric; the only thing I don't like about iris is that they only bloom once per season!
Yes, KY Sally--Kiska gets the heebie-jeebies when anyone shows us a frog, toad or lizard. We chuckle over it quite a bit! You have to give her fair warning before you post a picture of one of those critters! LOL Of course, she doesn't think a thing about having momma moose and twin calves peering in her sliding glass doors! ROFLOL P.S. I used to work for a builder so I do know a little something about concrete strength, etc. (very little). They put calcium in it, don't they, when they want to pour it in cold weather? Or am I thinking of something else?

Kiska: good news about Frank! May he have a speedy recovery!
Celia: you've got it bad--a real case of "grandma-itis"---and I've got news for you---it will only get worse once that baby is put into Oma's arms!! :o))
Crissy: great news for your Dad and Mom both regarding their blood pressure, etc! Hopefully they passed those good genes along to you! :o))

It was hot and windy here today but at least the wind did make things feel a little cooler while I was baking in the sun at DGS' track and field day. Whew! That's over for another year. I thought 4th grade would be the end of this annual event for DGS when he goes to the 5th grade in Middle School next fall, but no! They have their own event! I can hardly wait! LOL
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #7773362

Marilyn, I will try to give Kiska fair warning if I have any more "critters." Now I know why she lives in Alaska--just to avoid those guys. I won't post the picture of the 5' snake (harmless but large) that the neighbor found in our basement when he was putting in a new water heater for us a couple of years ago. He had a feeling he was being watched and saw the snake draped across the door lintel he had to go under to get out of the basement. My guess is that the snake had a job to do--controlling mice so none got up into our house. As long as the snake stayed down there I was fine with that.

Yes "calcium" (actually a solution of calcium chloride) is used to hasten concrete setting in cold weather. It is not an antifreeze for concrete, though, as some misguided people think. It does have a downside in that it can speed up rusting in concrete reinforced with steel that is exposed to moisture, such as in bridges. It is not used in such applications, but there are other chemicals that can be used, though they are more expensive. I feel like I am giving a tutorial!
Here's something prettier than the lizard to look at. I hope there are no "rhododendrophobes" on this thread.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7773802

I haven't run into any yet. LOL

I just spoke with Crystal. Her Drs. are going to induce labor if she doesn't do it by herself by Monday morning. Soooo...a baby by Monday for sure. Yea! I will be heading out there by Sunday afternoon to be with her.

And the sky smiled...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #7773880

Yikes! I would have to get somewhat nervous about any 5' snake over the door lintel that I had to go under--poisonous or not!! By the way, keep it up with the tutorials! I am enjoying them and I imagine the others are as well. No flower phobias here--just flower crazies! LOL

Hooray! a baby no later than Monday! The sky smiled for sure! Amazing!

A rain cloud blew over while I was mowing but it didn't drop any rain--it just blew right on to the east. Things cooled off and the wind was really blowing but I kept mowing. It's always a good feeling to have the yard freshly mowed and done for another week. The weed killer I sprayed on the lawn the other evening is starting to work--at least in spots. Big smile here. :o))

Currently 67F and Dyson dark.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #7774014

Well the storm is coming thru now.
No biggie yet but TONS of wind.
Gusty and hot all day.
High tomorrow of 58...

Another big sale tomorrow at Clara's place.
We really don't need any plants but it's always fun to look.
I'm sure she'll have something... ferns maybe?

Mau I'm kinda the same way w/ Iris and DL's.
So we do clumps of them and use the foliage as backdrop or a variation in pattern.

BTW the variegated white/green Iris are about a waste of time.
The y/g is a little hardier. Neither has a bloom to write home about.
Get the variegated Flag, Acorus gramineus 'Variegatus' or 'Ogon'... MUCH better.
And as they never flower...lol!

Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 8, 2010
3:19 AM

Post #7774461

Celia, yeaaah! I was paying attention at the things you bought for the baby, I should know about those soon too! Sending hugs and prayers for an easy labor. Great sky!
Mau, no headache today thanks. I hope you get some pics from your DGS's event. What were you baking?
Jackie, I'm so happy Frank is well after the surgery. Send him my regards and good wishes . Great picture!
Sally sun, what gorgeous blooms! I also have lizrds, but they are too fast to get a picture!LOL
Crissy, good news about your parents!
SallyBP, no headache today, thanks! My camera also makes funny colors sometimes, especially with the purple.

It was supposed to rain last night, but not a drop. It's sunny and very warm, 77F=25C.
I'm at work all day, until 8 p.m. I watered this morning a bit, but will have to water again tonight.

Adina

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2010
4:42 AM

Post #7774551

41 and the wind howled all night. We have a freeze advisory tonight. Who else will be asking "Where did Spring go?" I counted out 23 covers for the garden plants. I have 10 hotcaps with the original cardboard cover that you set on it and slide dirt down it to seal the edges. Pick up the cardboard and your cap is sealed against the cold, and hopefully won't blow away :o) Only used once, and it was me that used them.

Sunfarm, simplified smile. It's still a beautiful color! I have yet to try an azalea in my zone. I get so much drying winter winds and don't really have a sheltered spot for one. I sure do like the colors tho. I know I'M behind on the weeds and we just got rain, sigh. Cool lizard shot!

Chrissy, that is fantastic news!

Kiska, it's an amazing transformation. The flora and fauna waste no time.

Marsue, what a nice wish for Chrissy! (Genes) Laughing over Field day. I still remember mine in middle school :o) I knew just how you felt when you kept mowing and was able to finish! Our weed killer is working too.

Sunfarm, smiling over the feeling of being watched. That would give anyone the heebie jeebies! I find the cement talk interesting! We're having a cement driveway put in in June. Our garage floor was put in in 1985, I think. They used fly ash from the power plant. We only have one thin crack in it and it might have been from the walnut tree. Rhodies are fine here, LOL! Nice soft color!

Adina, we are breathlessly awaiting your announcement too. It will be so neat to have baby pictures! I'm glad your headache is gone.

Celia, Great news!! I'm so happy for all of you to know it's going to happen! What a neat smile! So cool!!

It's grey, the wind had knocked my lawn chairs over again and I'm glad my yard is mowed too!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2010
5:15 AM

Post #7774588

Ric: my friend Kathy Ann brought me some iris yesterday. I haven't had time to check the names on them but I believe they are all the tall bearded iris. I will get them in the ground today.
Adina: I had to laugh at your question: " What were you baking?" I should have taken into account that you might not understand the term in relation to the way I used it. When I said I was baking in the sun all day I just meant that it was hot and sunny yesterday and it was the people who were out in the sunshine that felt like we were being baked in an oven! LOL
BP: somehow I can't get a picture in my mind of those cardboard caps you use to cover your plants. How about a photo? A freeze advisory? Oh, no!

It will be considerably cooler here today--currently it is 48F heading for a high of 73F (sure beats 90F!). Should be a nice day for working outside. I will be doing just that for a while this morning. Later this afternoon I will be leaving to go pick up DGS Christopher at his work and we will go to my daughter's house together. We'll return tomorrow night. Everybody have a good week-end!
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all you moms and grandmoms and soon-to-be grandmoms! :o))

# Today: Sunny. High 73F. Winds NNW at 10 to 15 mph.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy early followed by cloudy skies overnight. Slight chance of a rain shower. Low around 50F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #7774602

Bridge deck crew is starting work now! 0.14" of rain in wee hours washed some of the mud away and it is pleasantly cool. Pictures later.
Good luck with the grandbaby's birth, Celia.
Sally, I am surprised that you mentioned fly ash. A lot of people think it is a cheap filler used to replace cement, but it is really good in concrete if used properly. It is the waste material that used to go up the smokestacks at coal-fired powerplants. They have to collect and dispose of it now to keep from harming the environment. It actually makes concrete stronger and more durable, as it reacts chemically with the water-soluble byproducts of cement hydration [free lime] that would otherwise leach out of the concrete. Like herbs in Italian cooking, more is not necessarily better.
The secret is to use the optimal amount. It was the ancient Romans who discovered volcanic ash mixed with lime to make the first primitive concrete, some of which is still around today. Maybe we need a way to collect some of Iceland's volcanic ash and put it to good use!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #7774659

Marsue, I'll get a picture. Yes, I hope the weather genius's are wrong, but I'm sure they aren't. Give Christopher a hug from me. I hope he's well rested!

Sunfarm, I'm glad to know you give the fly ash a seal of approval. The ash was from a local plant, so we did double duty! I've always said ''simple things are best,'' and the Romans prove it :o)

It's still windy, still grey and still 41.

Schreiner iris

Cherry Glen

Thumbnail by billyporter

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #7774830

We got a fast splat of the weather last night.
Washed the deck and brickroom off.
Then the overnight winds dried everything off so win win.

Smiling at Adina... baking, cooking and frying in the sun are terms used a lot here.

Very Cool out there currently...

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 8, 2010
7:04 AM

Post #7774849

30*F
Smells wonderful outdoors-almost like being near a lake. Fresh, fragrant and clean.
Sunfarm~thanks for the consideration and, "heads up" alert. No rhodophobia here; beautiful flowers. Glad the bridge work is underway.
kwanjin~a baby by Monday; as others have mentioned, the feeling/emotion of holding a newborn is like no other, much less, your grandchild.
Adina~thanks; he's doing well w/a good night's sleep, too. No fever and a good appetite. This time the physican did not need to totally remove the achielles tendon to remove the protrusion from his heel. She says he may be able to put weight on the foot in only 4-5 weeks; and be walking in a couple of months, if not earlier.
bp~Cherry Glen is gorgeous. My wild iris are now peeking out of the ground-
Marsue~sorry you were "baking" in the sunshine. Good for you to put up w/discomfort, as he knows you were there watching-
ric~have a good time at the plant sale.
Another pic of Mt. McKinley taken on Monday. The clilmbing season is underway w/ more than 100 already on the Mt. There's about a 50-50 ratio of US-Overseas clilmbers. This photo was taken at Talkeetna, the headquarters for climbers.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 8, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #7774855

hi ric~crossed; glad the day is off to a good start.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #7774874

Good luck to the climbers!
I remember quite a few deaths last year.
Never saw the appeal...
Though I have to say I did some free climbing in my younger years.
But that was before it was called 'free climbing' we were just taking shortcuts...lol!

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 8, 2010
11:59 AM

Post #7775469

ric-"free climbing" and shortcuts, as long as it gets you to the destination, that's the bottom line. I am intrigued w/mountaineering and it's one of my fav reading selections or movies. (as well as Arctic and Antarctic exploration).
A couple of moose this morning; one resting and the other, browsing-nice day so far.
45*F
My son and his wife are doing errands for me-on the list: corn/cob and ribs; can't let this nice day go to waste w/out grilling.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2010
12:25 PM

Post #7775516

Ric, a wonderful win win! Short-cuts, LOL!

Kiska, time to hang the sheets and towels out. I love air that smells good! Great news for Frank! I hope this is a fix for life so he can get to walking! Such a beautiful shot of McKinley. We have a street in town named McKinley. Can't go wrong with corn and ribs!

It's still windy. I open the porch door and am still waiting for it to be a bit nicer. It's not going to happen and I want to know what bloomed since yesterday.

Thanks, I need to get that iris in more light. It's pretty shaded by the walnut tree already.

Crimson Snow

Thumbnail by billyporter

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #7775521

I am intrigued by mountaineering too but like free falling have no desire to do either one...
Not big on 'NO mistake' hobbies... ;-)

Man it's rough out there!
25 MPH wind and 53.
Brrr...lol!

The sale was nice. Only the hardy plant lovers were there.
Picked up a few nice plants.

Sanguisorba canadensis (Which I've been looking for for years)
Clematis 'Beauty of Worcester' (Weird double petal that looks like tow blooms glue together)
Clematis 'Daniel Deronda' (A huge deep purple rebloomer)
Viola riviniana Purpurea Group (A lovely little wood violet w/ deep burgundy leaves)
Dianthus barbatus 'Tuxedo Black'
Celandine Poppy (Stylophorum diphyllum)

Ignore the tag... it's the Viola riviniana
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2010
12:30 PM

Post #7775526

Ric, that was a nice haul and only $4 for that plant?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7776304

Yes 4 bucks.
Clara is slowly winding down her gardens.
In their hay day they were amazingly packed but VERY time and labor intensive.
With her husband's passing a couple of years ago and advancing age she's scaling back.
So dividing and passing the plants along.

Thumbnail by henryr10

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #7776334

Ric, I've seen a lot of people getting good sized plants this year for a good price. I'm glad. I was trying to grow a lot of my own, but there are just some things the nursery's do better.

What a beautiful white combo! I'm so used to seeing the purple, I forget there's a white. I love the violas at her feet.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7776348

Clara indeed does have the 'Eye'.
That and she's surrounded by friends who are long time garden designers.
Many of whom she started into gardening.
She's a treasure.

Thumbnail by henryr10

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #7776363

Too tired to report much but that we got the old bridge deck removed. More tomorrow.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7776369

COLD and sunny the last 2 days. Very windy too. Lows in the low 40s, high 30s.

An oldie that came with the house. It was buried with some other purple ones that also came with the house and I finally tagged them and moved em last year.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #7776389

Lovely pale yellow Pepper!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
4:31 AM

Post #7776889

Sunny, bright & 49

Too windy to do much outside yesterday but did manage to get some of the lawn cut.

Details for Sunday, May 09
Abundant sunshine. High 66F. Winds NW at 10 to 20 mph.
Evening: Mostly clear. Low 39F. Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2010

Post #7776992

Ric, what a beautiful picture. I love the small statues that can be tucked into places. Clara sounds like a great friend. You're lucky to have her.

Sunfarm, it's going to be interesting watching the bridge be built.

Pepper, how lucky to have hidden treasures! It's got to be a historic! It's beautiful!

Dyson, good to have you back!

Well, we frosted. It looks worse in the neighbors yard, LOL! I have buckets and bricks growwing in my garden :o)

Marsue, hot cap pictures, two of them.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2010
5:32 AM

Post #7776994

Second picture

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 9, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7777005

No frost here. Low was 35, maybe 34.
Sun is shining bright. looking for beautiful day.
Happy Mothers Day to all mothers posting here!
Mothers are the best! I haven't had one since 1985.

I think I will plant a bunch of Hostas today.

I ordered some tape to seal pond liners so I can finish up the falls & pond. Supposed to work. I sure hope so. A little more dirt work to do on the pond.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #7777112

Windy again - will cut more lawn today.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #7777176

Bernie we've used the tape.
Just be sure that you follow the liner cleaning instructions.

Weather much like Dyson's this morning.
We do though have a Frost Advisory for tomorrow morning.
Not exactly sure how we can get frost w/ the low projected to be 40 but...
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 9, 2010
8:05 AM

Post #7777362

36*F
Blue sky
Have a wonderful day to all the moms; and just as nice for everyone.

Thumbnail by kiska

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2010
10:39 AM

Post #7777700

Bridge deck progress is good, though I don't expect it to be done in time for going out to dinner for Mother's Day. They have the edge forms and side rails welded, will get the bottom of the form in place this afternoon. It is still cool today-- 37 this morning, but sunny.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #7777982

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!! Hope everyone has a glorious day!

Yes great great news! I told my mom last night, she was relieved that my dad is in such good health for his bad habits and she LOLed when I thanked her for the good genes!

Awesome pics everyone! I've got to go to town for a bit so I'll see ya'll later!
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #7778256

Bridge deck update: The forms are ready so we should be able to pour the deck in the morning. I calculate that the slab will weigh about 11 tons. Glad those I-beams are so strong!

Thumbnail by sunfarm

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #7778555

High in the low 60s with partly cloudy skies all day. Not much of a breeze which was really nice. Perfect day for smoking and grilling.

Had grandma, my younger brother and his family and a friend over for dinner. Had a fun time playing with my nephew. LOL

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers and grandmothers on here!!

One of my clematis blooming. It has a bunch more on it now. I can't remember name so will look tomorrow for the tag and get more pics. My Sylvia Denny is blooming also.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #7778623

Sun I did a bunch of that type welding at my last job.
Nice work!
You have our garage roof under your Bridge! lol!

Have fun w/ the pour.
Can you get a shoot out that far?

Lovely Pep!

We spent the day in hoodies mostly.
Finally by about 2PM it was warm enough for just flannels.
Frost Advisory but we are 3 warmer than projected.
We're playing the odds...

Ric
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #7778793

Ric, the deck is 24' long, so there will have to be some wheelbarrowing for the start. Wish we could justify the cost of a pump, but not for less than 6 yards. Chutes will reach about 20', as I recall (it has been a few years). I won't let them pour it too wet and I don't want to let them risk segregating the mix by raking it to move it. They will just screed, bullfloat, and use coarse broom for finish. We don't need a slick trowel finish!

Frost advisory overnight, but it should be OK by the time the concrete gets here and rain is not expected until evening.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2010
8:10 PM

Post #7778980

Not too bad and it's a nice surface to Barrow over so...
Hope ALL goes well!!!
AND NO paw prints ... lol!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2010
4:05 AM

Post #7779397

Kiska, great picture! Kids can have fun in all depths of water. Was it warm at all?

Sunfarm, are they a local company, to be there so fast? Watching a bridge in progress is pretty neat! It's also so cool that you know all the steps before they pour. You're going to have a fine bridge! Will you need to wet it down while it sets?

Chrissy, you made your Mom's day!

Pepper, what a nice day for all! Love the deep color of Sylvia Denny!

Ric, hang on. Our warmer weather should be there soon! LOL, but paw prints would be interesting in the future. We have dog and cat down our sidewalk, but they are really weathered. We did buy a roll of yellow caution tape to line the driveway when it's done, but mainly for the kids riding bikes down the sidewalk.

50 and a few clouds. I mowed yesterday. Most of the neighbors stayed in or were gone. Then I spent all afternoon weeding tiny speedwell and chickweed like weed out of the rose bed. Not finished yet. I still need to get the middle and then it's Preen!! It's so time consuming pulling each one from around all the larkspur. That's why I can't hoe. I used a putty knife.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2010
5:18 AM

Post #7779551

BP, The contractor is a neighbor who is in construction work, the concrete will come from a local plant of the company for which I was quality control manager for five years (many years ago, but they still remember me!). Mother Nature will wet it down for us; rain is expected to start this evening and continue for through the workweek. It is not forecast to be that heavy until Wednesday, which is fine. It is chilly and foggy this morning (35 low) but will warm to mid-60s today and 80s during the week, which should be perfect.

You may have noticed there is no steel rebar in the deck. We are using steel fibers that look like bobby pins that will be mixed into the concrete. We will also cut a joint across the middle of the deck to prevent a crack, as dimensions are 24 by 14 feet.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2010

Post #7779586

Sunfarm, you couldn't get much luckier, now, after the damage. I've never heard of the "bobbypin" technique. I'm having fun learning!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 10, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #7779921

38*F
19hr24min visible light-time to put away flashlights and outdoor lights-it's a great time of year.
The bridge is looking good-seems it's going quickly, too.
It was not warm in the pic posted earlier, but fun anyway.
bp~such a tedious job:))
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2010
7:34 AM

Post #7779934

It stormed all night long last night, nothing severe or strong, just a bunch of thunderheads that decided to track right over my house, and they were loud doing it! We're supposed to be in the mid 70's today and mostly cloudy, I think.

LOL BP I think I did! Now that's a good idea, a putty knife! Never thought of that! We got rain yesterday morning real early and the red clay was still wet yesterday afternoon, so I went out and pulled weeds, most came right out!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2010
11:17 AM

Post #7780685

a busy bunch, you are! I commented on the cubits weather forum so I won't repeat myself here except to say that Ric's friend, Clara, has a lovely garden!

Wet here, today. Overcast and rainy but we need the rain. currently only 56F. Long sleeve weather again! Can't work outside so I'm forced to act like I am cleaning house! LOL I did get one bathroom cleaned so far. The rest of the time I have spent in my chair with the laptop. Oh, I forgot--I do have one load of clothes washed and now in the dryer.

climbing rose, New Dawn, given to me by Kathy Ann, one of our mid-south DGers who has contributed a good many of the plants I have in my gardens!

Thumbnail by marsue

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2010
1:41 PM

Post #7781072

Pictures later, when my Internet connection is being more cooperative. Suffice it to say we had concrete poured out by 10AM (less than an hour) and the broom finish was done before 1PM. Now may it rain!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2010
5:06 PM

Post #7781567

BP, the clematis pictured is a different one. lol. Sylvia Denny is different one I have blooming but don't have a pic of yet due to rain. It's a double white one. The one above I have a tag for but due to rain couldn't look at it. LOL

Well, as mentioned above it's raining and has been all day. At times it was a downpour so strong it looked like a waterfall. Some thunder and lightning too. High in the low 60s. I spent an hour in the greenhouse this morning and that was it. Got done just as the rain started in earnest. Worked inside rest of day. Will do the same thing tomorrow since it's supposed to rain tomorrow.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7782040

It was wonderful here today.
We didn't even come close to Frost temps.

Like Pepper we have rain coming in now but then unsettled weather all week.
Robyn rearranged one of her shade beds.
The New Hellbores went in there.
Thanks Again Mau!
The stepping stones we bought today.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 10, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #7782246

http://www.adn.com/2007/12/14/v-gallery/110676/moose-sightings.html#id=1270496&view=large_view
If this worked, here's the pic of "my" moose in the moose photos section of the Anchorage Daily News. I sent it in yesterday.
Very windy~glacial dust, gray and abrasive, in the air.
49*F
ric and the projects~always something new that you and Robyn are working on; love seeing it all come together.
pepper~sounds like a very stormy day.
sunfarm~seems the bridge is also coming together very well.
marsue~love seeing what KAnn shares w/you. Everything looks very pretty. Sometimes the darn housework just has to be fit into the schedule:))
crissyr~at least the rain made easier work of weeding.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2010
2:35 AM

Post #7782521

Here's a picture from yesterday's construction. It went very well and I managed to keep from interfering too much with either the contractor or the concrete truck driver. I was a concrete construction inspector for nearly 35 years, so it is hard for me not to wade in!

Ric, that is not rain. It is Mother Nature's curing compound. We need it to help the concrete get nice and strong.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #7782652

Kiska, your temps are warming up!

Chrissy, that's my kind of weeding!

Marsue, ROTFL over having to act like I'm cleaning. I loved that! New Dawn has the most beautiful pale pin flowers. I love the contrasting coral bells.

Sunfarm, great news!!

Pepper, whatever the name of the one pictured, it's beautiful! I'm loving the iris pictures!

Ric, glad you had no frost. Sometimes it's wonderful when they're wrong. I love Robyn's bed! We hate the rabbits eating our plants, but we love our statues of them :o) Is that a mirror on the wall? So cool!

Kiska, it worked. I saw the twins. That's neat!

Sunfarm, are there beams they can stand on, outside the bridge, to smooth it out with the board? I love to watch workmen putting things together. It's amazing to see the finished project. I'm glad the rain is helping. I'd hate to drag the garden hose out there, LOL!

Pepper gave me her rain and I sent it on. Our's is almost done.

I woke up to 50 and no wind. It was windy yesterday and into the night. I see at least one plastic chair has blown over. What is it with all the wind? I can't get any new flower pictures.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 11, 2010
5:13 AM

Post #7782707

Still raining here.
It's not if the wind is blowing, only which direction.
Wind ESE at 17mph.
I hope rain quits in time for market.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2010
5:16 AM

Post #7782712

Bernie, our rain just quit. I got out the binoculars and we got a whopping 1-3/10''! It rained hard and more than I expected. I hope you can get to market too. No wind yet either. Yesterday the vane was going back and forth. Do you have covered stalls to work in?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 11, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #7782738

Mankato is not a business friendly town. We are lucky to have a parking lot to use. We have to pay rent to have that!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2010

Post #7782744

Bernie, what a shame! You would think they would see the benifit of it.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 11, 2010

Post #7782754

If they were business friendly, they would have way more population than their measly 40,000.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2010
5:41 AM

Post #7782758

Maybe if they ate better, they would be happier place and have more kids :o)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2010
6:34 AM

Post #7782888

LOL BP!

Local Farmer's Markets are just getting a lot of attention here.
There has been one about 5 minutes (open weekends) from us for decades.
Now out Township and the neighboring Village have gotten in to it.
Mt Washington has one on Tuesdays, Anderson Twnsp. on Thurs.
MW's is free set up. It is a way to bring in business.
All the stores are walking distance so...

Kiska that's a GREAT shot!
Don't be surprised to see 'requests for use'

The rabbits were picked up at the Going out of business sale at NCE.
Funny here's Clara's version...

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #7782904

Pepper: lovely iris--I like the darker tops with the white lower petals.
Ric: tell Robyn that her shade garden is lovely! The different hostas add variety to it. I especially like the one with the big leaves.
Kiska: congrats! You made the news or rather your mooses did! LOL (Is the plural of moose, "meese"?)
KY Sally: I can imagine it would be hard to stay out of the way when concrete is being poured since that is your field of expertise!
Bernie and BP: I got a chuckle out of your exchange about the unfriendly practices of the "city fathers" there in Mankato! I agree--you would think they would be very "business friendly"!

It was a good 25 degrees warmer this morning than it was at the same time yesterday! Go figure out this crazy weather!
The folks in parts of Oklahoma had a bad weather day yesterday and possibly more expected today. 5 people were killed there.

# Today: Partly to mostly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms developing this afternoon. A few storms may be severe. High near 85F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Isolated thunderstorms early, then mainly cloudy after midnight. A few storms may be severe. Low 67F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

BP: here is another rose that Kathy Ann gave me. This one is "Belinda's Dream".

Thumbnail by marsue

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #7782932

Oklahoma got tore up yesterday! Just a little east of my mom's house in Newcastle and east of that, got Norman and Moore pretty good. There's a Love's gas station/truck stop on I-40 that got hit too, plus a big grocery store. They think that one of the tornadoes was an EF4.

Its supposed to be in the mid 80's and party cloudy today.

Great pic Kiska! That's awesome!

Love the bunnies, and the house! Way cute!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #7782960

Woke to a slight rumbling sound.
Then minutes later CRASH BOOM!
We probably got 1/2" of rain out of the deal.
Sun popped out for a minute as I went out to feed the fish.
Looks like another line of T-Storms getting ready to pop through.

Sun that is going to be a VERY nice bridge!

We have mirrors everywhere.
In the back (North fence) they reflect the sun back into totally shaded areas.
This allows us to grow places against the north wall of the house.

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #7782974

At least 5 dead and 60 injured as the toll mounts.
Maybe 40 separate tornadoes many w/ multiple heads or vortices were counted.

Here's a bit of footage.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/deadly-tornado-alley-dead-dozens-injured/story?id=10612080

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 11, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #7782977

Mostly cloudy. Isolated showers. Areas of blowing dust. Highs in the lower to mid 50s.
East to southeast winds 20 to 40 mph with gusts to 65 mph.
44*F
Thanks; the moose, even when they eat the garden, are fun to have around. Moose are moose no matter how many there are~ crissyr~what a mess for that area; glad your family is ok.
CG~busy market time ahead-have a great season.
My grandson flies out of Minneapolis this morning and will be back here this evening. A short layover and plane change in Seattle has him "worried", but he'll do fine. I'm anxious to hear all about NE Iowa from him.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 11, 2010
7:00 AM

Post #7782981

crossed ric~will go check out the link now. So sorry for the lives lost.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #7783032

Kiska are there any bears in your area?
Just thought of that.

Ric

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7783073

Ric, they've been around here for a quite few years now. Since Muscatine and Conesville grow the best melons around, it was easier for the Farmers Markets to gain popularity. Conesville grows a lot of peppers and tomatoes for the stores too. I think it's great. The farmers work hard to bring quality food that is the freshest you'll get, to your table.

Clara's version is so cute! You gotta love the gnome doors! I have been trying to find terra cotta for a few years now. It just fell out of favor as afast as it came in. The prices went up and I think they just ruined their own business.

Marsue, I can't believe the voltile weather some people are getting. It's terrible! You grow such beautiful roses, sigh. Belinda is a real beauty!

Chrissy, I'll bet you were pretty worried for your Mom.

Ric, Glad the boom didn't happen when you were out! The fish might have eaten for a month! I love the mirrors!

Terrible terrible tornados! I've never seen more than one funnel at a time on the news around here. That was a sobering, heartwrenching newscast. I feel so bad for everyone who has nothing left.

Kiska, at least the rain will bring the dust down. It will be good to see the Grandson!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 11, 2010
7:49 AM

Post #7783143

Such an amazing article about the tornados. the power is unreal.
Yes, there are bears; and a pack of at least 5 wolves. The 5 wolves were seen, together, last month. We've not had a bear in the yard for a few years.
bp~yes, very good. I've got the Alaska Airlines flight tracking site up and ready to clik. I'll watch the flight as it crosses the country.
Yesterday I found the wild iris in the front yard waking up. The bit of nearby snow won't last much longer.

Thumbnail by kiska

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2010
8:50 AM

Post #7783316

Sally, there was nothing on the sides of the bridge to make a platform for standing while finishing; they had to work from the ends, moving backwards as the concrete was placed. Here's a picture of the long-handled bullfloat which was used to smooth the surface. When it has set for about 4 hours they used a coarse-textured broom to scarify the surface so it is not too slick. One of the guys went down under the bridge to cross the creek and discovered he had a leak in his boot. The pictures don't show it, but there is a vertical distance of about 15' from the bridge to the creekbed. I am glad the bridge is no longer than 24', as the truck chute reached just far enough to place the concrete without having to move it with wheelbarrows or rakes.
We have light rain showers and warmer temperatures today, just as I had hoped.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2010
9:59 AM

Post #7783556

Kiska, a wolf pack! I would love to hear them howl a few times and then they could move on. Same for the bear. Say hi and good-by! How cool to track him. He ought to feel better knowing Grandma is watching over him :o) Iris, isn't that a wonderful sight!!

Sunfarm, The bullfloat would be my weapon of choice. I'd get so into it tho, your surface would be like glass :o) It looks like a good job done well! How exciting! I hope the poor guy was able to dry out his boot and sock. That wouldn't be very comfortable.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2010
12:55 PM

Post #7783995

These Kentucky farm boys are tough. It happened when they were about through, so I think he was able to go home and change shoes and socks pretty soon thereafter. Rain seems to have moved out for now; temp is back above 70
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 11, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #7784058

48*F Quite windy.
Just checked gsons flight; nearly past N. Dakota and to enter NE Montana. 38,000 ft. The flight was late leaving Minneapolis, but still will have an hour to make the connecting flight out of Seattle to Anchorage.
Sounds good, sunfarm.
thanks, bp-he texted me as they boarded and he's pleased that I'll be watching, too.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 11, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7784448

Sally, did you put your initials or the date or handprint in the concrete?

Probably no more rain here until October or November

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on May 11, 2010
68 F
Clear
Humidity: 30%
Dew Point: 35 F
Wind: 7 mph Variable
Wind Gust: 17 mph

here are some pictures from yesterday
golden stars

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 11, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7784449

Catalina mariposa lily

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 11, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #7784454

This tree had to grow some serious roots to keep from falling down the hill

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 11, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #7784460

checkerspots seem to really like yarrow

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 11, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #7784464

an assortment of goodies including yarrow, blue larkspur, owls clover, and tomcat clover

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 11, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7784469

Turkish rugging

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 11, 2010
2:53 PM

Post #7784472

notable penstemon

Thumbnail by Kelli

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 11, 2010
3:08 PM

Post #7784514

kelli~sounds "odd" to hear that there'll be no more rain for months.
The wildflowers are very pretty. The roots on the tree certainly have a grip on the slope. Nice~

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2010
3:18 PM

Post #7784551

Sunfarm, I figured since they were local it would be a stop at home, LOL!

Kiska, you'll feel better knowing where he's at too :o) I had no idea you could keep track of a flight. I don't know anyone who flies, but it's good to know.

Kelli, I like Golden Stars. The sound like my kind of breakfast cereal! The Mariposa is such a clean bright white. Wow on the roots! Love the Checkerspot! Nice assortment. They always look better in the wild rather than try to recreate it at home. I like Turkish Rugging. It looks like a small Joe Pye Weed. I love any Penstamons, but these are beautiful! A pink and blue combo is my favorite!

It was chilly with a bit of a breeze today. No sun, but it did get up to 58. I spent a long time just accounting for all my plants and got a walk in.

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2010
4:14 PM

Post #7784704

No, I did not "sign" the concrete. Maybe I should have, but I am getting so old and stiff that if I had knelt down to do so it would have taken a crane to get me back up!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2010
4:29 PM

Post #7784745

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crane_%28bird%29
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #7784974

Rain done today but should fire up again tonight. Sun came out and we reached mid 60s for a high. Felt great!! LOL

Finally here is Sylvia Denny!! Pic not the greatest due to late afternoon light but you get the idea. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7785026

After approximately 20 hours of labor, frustration, laughter, movies, cajoling, drugs, several nurses shifts, a couple of naps and 2 hotels stays...

May I present Aurora Eve Bell. 7lbs 1oz, 19 1/2", born 3:42am May 11, 2010.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #7785040

Dyson, smiling.

Pepper, she's a pretty one. I'll bet the moon lights her up at night.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! She's the most beautiful baby born today!!!

((((BIG HUGS )))) to all!!

How many of us are there? Better start handing out the kisses!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7785056

The funny part is...everyone thought she would be born yesterday. Being born a day late and on May 11th makes her and Darrell share a birthday! Happy Birthday Darrell and Aurora!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #7785079

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to the crazy world Aurora!!!

I have several blooms on Sylvia Denny today.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #7785084

Ooooooo, pretty! Clematis?

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7785087

Oh Celia, it was a long wait, but it's all the sweeter for Darrell! Tell us again your grandparent names.

Crystal looks completely exausted and at peace!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #7785095

Yep. lol.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7785125

Aurora WELCOME to Dave's Garden!
Crystal, Celia and Family CONGRATULATIONS!

Ric and Robyn
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 11, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7785148

She is beautiful, Celia. Her name is beautiful, as well. Welcome, baby~
bp~flying is common here as it's the quickest way out of the state, and w/few roads, is the only way in and out of areas.
His flight is due in Anchorage in 45 minutes. Then, an hour drive to Palmer.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2010
4:28 AM

Post #7785737

Kiska, an hour drive home isn't too bad. And the weather is good!

I slept in again. 46 and breezy. Rain is splitting to both sides of us, so I wonder if we'll get any.

For The proud Grandparents

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2010

Post #7785879

Aurora looks so sweet! Congrats, Celia and family. I am sure lots of people have told you that being a grandparent is even better than being a parent. That is my take.

Looks like most of the rain is going to the north of us. Watch out, Ric! At least the temperatures are great for curing concrete. It rose from 58 to 68 in just over an hour this morning after sunrise.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7785900

We will be called Oma (me) and Opa (Darrell). Very pretty peony. I love it! Thanks!

Thanks, everyone. It was a long haul but Crystal did very well. The hardest part for her was the epidural. Eeeek!

41.2 F with 56 for the high. And more rain.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 41 F
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 39 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 1.0 mph
Pressure: 29.91 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 2500 ft
Scattered Clouds 6000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

From the trip home yesterday.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2010

Post #7785903

We crossed. Yes, I completely understand now about the saying that it's great to be the grandparent. LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2010
5:44 AM

Post #7785915

Celia, tell Crystal, she's even more beautiful now! (I thought that's what your names were, but didn't want to look like a fool sayingit wrong :o)

Believe it or not, it was a beautiful trip home. How serene.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2010
5:47 AM

Post #7785920

It was a nice trip. Sad to be leaving them behind but I love the scenery.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #7786035

Congrats, Celia, Darrell, Crystal!! Aurora is beautiful and what a great birthday present for Darrell!
You guys have been chatty, as usual! :o)) It's hard to keep up--especially in two different "buildings"! LOL
Kiska, I know it is great to have your grandson home again--for awhile. Will he be going back to school in Iowa in the fall?
KY Sally--congrats on the new bridge! Your remark about needing a crane to help you up made me chuckle!
Dyson: I don't think that is the kind of crane that Sunfarm had in mind! ROFLOL!!
Pepper: Sylvia Denny is gorgeous! Our recent bad weather and high winds blew all the petals off my clematis! :o(((
Kelli: lovely wildflowers--especially the penstemon which certainly is notable!
So sorry for all the folks in Oklahoma who went through that terrible round of tornadoes. They said on the tv news this morning, that 3 of the supposed 5 dead were actually children who are alive in the hospital. They are listed in serious condition, though.
BP: I also enjoy your comments on everyone else's comments!

We are back to being unseasonably hot today. :o((
# Today: Variable cloudiness and windy. Hot. High near 90F. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph.
# Tonight: Some clouds. Low around 70F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph.
# Tomorrow: Partly cloudy with a slight chance of thunderstorms. Warm. High 87F. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Peach Belle rosebud yesterday

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2010
6:30 AM

Post #7786045

Oma Celia, German or Dutch?

Well we were going to be planting the veggies today.
As our scuba suits are at the cleaners we'll pass.

A T-Storm moved in about 7:30AM.
Still here... lots of T and R no real wind.
We are now predicted to get 3-5" of Rain by late afternoon...
Looks like the storm will stay right on top of us for several more hours.

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #7786065

Mein Bruder spricht Deutsch und hilft mir lernen.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2010
7:46 AM

Post #7786272

CONGRATULATIONS CELIA, CRYSTAL, AND DARRELL!!! WOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Welcome Aurora! Big big kiss!
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #7786362

Flash flood warnings for northern Kentucky just issued. The radar looks like all the rain is still north of us. I'd like to see some gentle rain but no more flooding. Ric, looks like the worst is south of you.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #7786374

That's right Celia!
I forgot! LOL!

Still pouring and BOOMING!
Ric

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2010
1:20 PM

Post #7787231

Celia, it is beautiful scenery!

Thanks Marsue! That's too bad about the clematis petals. Any chance they'll re-grow or will they set seed? That is one gorgeous rose! I can almost taste it.

Ric, did you get drowned? I was waiting to see cabbage and tomatoes floating for a while there.

Our rain started around 10:30 am. I went for a walk this morn because it appeared to be splitting and going around us. It's been raining all afternoon and we had hot, rumbly thunder. That's the sound I wait for! I got off line so I wouldn't risk my computer and put 8 cups of rhubarb slices in the freezer. I made a batch of stewed for myself.

Now it's 51, cloudy but brighter, breezy and we got 6/10'' rain. I hope we aren't over run with mosquitos :o(
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2010
1:50 PM

Post #7787344

74 rode through rain on the way home but we do not appear to have had any here - so it is off to water I go.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 12, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #7787359

Welcome Aurora Eve Bell ! Congratulations grandma Celia and mommy Crystal! And Happy Birthday Darrel!

I have to post this quickly in case the power goes off again...I just had a scare when we got back home from work...the power was off, but it came back on real soon. When I tried to turn on the TV it didn't show anything, just a black screen, but I could hear . I thought it was something I did with the DVD last night and I turned it on too. That was a big mistake because it made a bum and broke off... again! Then I tried to see where this comes from and read the instructions for the TV. It says something about the power...so I called my neighbor and asked him for help. His father was here too, he is an electrician, so it was no big deal for him. It was just a switch which snapped off from the electric panel. Thank God he could fix it! But then the power went off and on for several times and just about now it turned on again. It's been raining with lightnings and thunders, so I think this might be the reason for the power cut.
I've been busy these days gardening , watering , vacuuming, cooking and also working on Saturday all day. Lucky yesterday I had a day off and could rest a bit.
We also got our new passports on Monday...it's only 2 weeks until we leave!
I read all your posts and will comment tomorrow at work if I have time...if not, let's hope they won't cut off the power again...grrr!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7787533

Adina where are you going again? I don't remember :-p

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7787630

Dyson, your temps sound good to me! It's too bad you didn't get rain. Sounds like everyone else is.

Adina, I think you're the only one who caught that it was Darrell's Birthday! You are having terrible weather! How lucky to catch his Dad there and find he could fix it for you. How exciting for your Daughter to have you come! When is her due date?

Happy Birthday Darrell!! This one's for you!

Thumbnail by billyporter

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 12, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #7787701

54*F windy-overcast.
Gson came to see us this morning-he plans to return to Iowa for the fall semester. He liked it down there; but his most memorable events, were seeing wild turkeys alongside the road, and lightning.
Frank has a smaller cast as of today. The surgery is healing well and he can put weight on his foot in about 3 weeks.
There's rhubarb up and in a few days, will pick the first of the season.
Have a great day to all~

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7787749

Kiska, I'm glad he enjoys the states :o) He would have has some nice thunder and lightning around Iowa today!

I'll bet Franks recovery goes so much fastere this time! A smaller cast must be more comfortable.

Rhubarb for you says Spring!

52 and can you believe we just had more rain?
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #7787844

Yayy!! Congratulations, Celia and Darrell! What a great present for Opa. ^_^ And yayyy!!! for Crystal and Graham! Wow... 20 hours... Ouch!! I was induced both times, but it didn't take that long (4 hours the first time, 1.5 the 2nd time.)

When is your daughter due, Adina? I know it's coming right up, too. :-) Yayyy! for your neighbor's father!

I'm sure Frank is very grateful for a smaller cast, Kiska. :-) Rhubarb... yummmm... I'm still drooling! I love tracking flights, too. I do that anytime Charles has to go on a business trip far enough away to need to fly. (Fortunately it doesn't happen very often!)

There's no way I can comment on everyone's posts, so I'm just going to wave ~~~~~ and send you all a hug ((((((((((((((((Peeps)))))))))))))))))))))

You haven't missed anything weather wise here... It's hot and not-quite-as-muggy-as-usual. We had company over the weekend, with lots of group activities, so we're all still recovering from all the excitement. And the poor big bunny had a nasty cold on Sunday - which was also her birthday. When I woke her up Sunday morning, she sat straight up, said "I'm NINE!!!" and then sneezed 3 times. LOL Poor bunny. She's feeling better now, but she shared generously, so now Charles and I are sneezing and sniffing and looking bleary. Ugh... I made chicken noodle soup tonight... Hopefully it will help! Quickly! This weekend is the big bunny's annual mother-daughter Pioneer Girls camp. Oh, joy... It's always fun, actually, but those camp cots are not very comfy!! LOL Hopefully I won't still be sneezing and sniffing and keeping everyone up all night. If I am, I'll probably sneak out after Joy falls asleep and sleep in the car instead.

We could really use some of your rain!!! But not the tornadoes... on second thought, maybe I'll just keep watering the garden. ;-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 5:53pm CDT (62 min ago)
Temperature 83 F 28 C
Dew Point 70 F 21 C
Humidity 64%
Pressure 29.89 in 1012.1 mb
Wind Speed 17 MPH
G 29 15 kts
G 25
Wind Dir SSE 150
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 8 mi 12.9 km
Heat Index 87 F 31 C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 75.0F / 23.9C

Tonight Partly cloudy until late night then becoming mostly cloudy. Breezy. Lows in the lower 70s. Southeast winds 20 to 30 mph diminishing to 15 to 25 mph in the evening and to 10 to 15 mph after midnight.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 12, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #7787886

Rain here again. I hope it clears up by Saturday for the RU.

Congratulations to Celia & family. Always fun to have a new member to the family. And of Grandma has to do some spoiling!

Went after the lumber for our current job. Took quit a pile!

We need to plant 2nd planting of Glads if the ground ever dries out. Soon it will be time to finish the whole garden. Any plants like tomatoes, peppers & melons go out end of May.
Early beans froze to death Saturday morning so will replant as soon as I can.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #7787925

Under tornado watch til midnight. Very, very muggy out and there are storms in the area though none here close to me. It has been muggy all day and mostly cloudy. A few times the sun peeked out but not very often or for very long.

Here's a better pic of Sylvia Denny. This time you can see the details since it's cloudy out.

Thumbnail by pepper23

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7787937

Here's my latest iris blooming. If it has a tag with the name I didn't check it due to rain coming back in at the time.

Thumbnail by pepper23

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 12, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #7787951

New thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1096585/

Please post there.
Bernie
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #7787967

Just finished watering - almost dark, timed it just right, no evaporation from direct sunlight. goodnight to all and to all a goodnight!
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #7787971

I am disappointed that we did not get rain here today, though the radar at a couple of points looked like we should. "Ground truth" said not a drop. It was muggy, and I thought had gone into the 80s, but the MMTS [max/min temperature sensor] that is my official NWS reporting device says it got only to 79.4. There were some ugly storms with up to a couple of inches of rain in northern KY. My rhododendron is past its peak but still colorful.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #7788025

NEW THREAD: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1096585/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America