Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-South Gardening: Storm

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 40, Views: 299
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
westtngal
Brighton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #7754677

Whoeee! What a storm, thought I was going to lose my levee. Gutters overflowed and the the sink hole is getting deeper. I see more rain coming. Is everyone okay?
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2010
9:14 PM

Post #7756040

Hey Kristy - I know you guys got it really bad out your way. I saw where Hwy 51 in Millington is closed. Have you been out in it at all ? We went into town to eat and on the way back it had gotten so bad we had 2 detours just to get back home. Did your levee hold ?
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2010
2:25 AM

Post #7756214

I hope you are all OK since it is still Flooding up there. I have a brother in Burlison that is a little east of Covington near the Miss River. My husband's sister has a place in Olive Branch (works) and lives in Henning just north of Covington. I will have to call each of them today to make sure they are high and dry. Bonnie I hope you and Kristy are not floating either.
westtngal
Brighton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2010
5:42 AM

Post #7756424

Yes, we are okay. My husband was going around the property making sure that all drain pipes were clear. We had a leak in the roof, and the gutters on the north side had problems. We are going to have to do something with that side of the roof. It is 16 years old. The pond is what had me scared. It overwhelmed the drainpipe we use for overflow, luckily we did not completely fill in the old spillway, there was a river running from it. The landscaping I had accomplished on the east side was washed away also.
We had core areated, limed, and fertilized the pecan trees, now I think that was a waste. We stayed home like they tell you too. We had planned on going to Memphis for a birthday party. I was supposed to bring my pasta salad and two birthday cakes. We are going into Memphis today to visit our son and his fiance, she is the birthday girl, and take at least one cake in. We will see what has happened on the way. I live between 51 and 14, I knew there was going to be a lot of flooding on those roads, and all the country roads here. I see middle Tn is getting it now.
babybluesntn
Hendersonville, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
6:02 AM

Post #7756453

We are flooded out here in middle-TN...and it just keeps coming! Looks like the 2nd GREAT flood! But the plants are loving it! I'm just afraid some of the new seedlings I planted are going to float away!
Karen
westtngal
Brighton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #7756513

We can expect tomatoes to be expensive again this year. I know of at least one grower who lost his whole field.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #7758028

Yeah Kristy - and they were already gonna be high to begin with. :-(
Hope you made it into Memphis and back. My DD and her family are without water, so they are having to come stay with us tonite. Luckily they only have 1 daugher and 1 dog. Who knows when Tipton County will be back to normal. They are on "boil alert" now.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #7758174

We've gotten over 11 inches here in M'boro so far this weekend, and it hasn't let up yet. Lots of areas flooded, lots of folks without power and/or with water threatening their homes - here's hoping it clears out soon.
scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

May 2, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #7758363

First year my iris came out looking pretty! First photo is before the rain. Second photo is after the rain. Third photo is of the creek up from our home!!! It could have been worse!! I guess everyone in TN and surrounding areas are in the same boat...hope it stops soon...our prayers are with everyone in the middle of this mess.

Thumbnail by scarediecat
Click the image for an enlarged view.

happyNdirt
Summertown, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #7758461

Wow - it's stopped raining - finally! My poppies and batchelor buttons are beat down - my backyard corner bed looks like a mud pie, and I lost a good chunk of a annual bed where the rushing water in the back yard washed it away. But, all that can be replaced - thankful that's all of the "damage" we've suffered from the storms! Hoping to see the sun come out tomorrow. You folks keep safe.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2010
11:09 AM

Post #7760429

Glad to see you all are ok!! My goodness this weather is wacky, but every 100 years or so it does this.

Terry they're worried about you over on Midsouth :)

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2010
11:21 AM

Post #7760459

Ummm, I thought this was mid-south ;o)

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 3, 2010
1:20 PM

Post #7760803

My iris look just like the ones pictured above. I know we are blessed to have not had any deaths in Tippah County where I live, One of the tornadoes set down about a mile from our home as the crow flies.
There were 2 deaths in Benton county, about 30 minutes away from us.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #7760824

scardiecat, I understand the river hasn't crested yet - please be safe up there.

My husband works for AO Smith up there, and they're flooded out so he's working from home while they figure out temporary office space. The news we are hearing today is pretty grim.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7761902

It is gonna take a long time for some of these areas to recover. Stay safe everyone.
Glad to hear you are all ok.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7762025

I have the deepest sympathy for those areas underwater. It is pretty traumatic. At least I don't have to deal with my home going under though. Those rivers and streams when out of bounds are very dangerous.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 4, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #7762723

The pictures of Nashville on TV this morning are terrible. The Opryland Hotel had to be evacuated and it looks like most of the downtown area is flooded.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #7762919

I'm glad they evacuated the Opryland when they did..they said they were moving people out because they had no power (were operating on generators), not because of flooding.

And then the flood came. Good call by their management.

It's going to be a long while before a lot of businesses and homes are back to normal. And my guess is that a lot of the homes that flooded didn't have flood insurance because they weren't considered to be located in a flood plain.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2010
8:37 AM

Post #7763146

The company I work for (xpedx) - has a division in Nashville - and it is 100% destroyed. I don't know if we have ever had a total wipe-out of one of our divisions before.
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7765127

This is so sad. I hope everyone the best...

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
5:46 AM

Post #7765740

I hope everything gets back to normal soon and that everyone is alright! I was visiting my parents south of Houston one time and got caught in a flood at their house. We had to be evacuated! Floods are very scary and very dangerous!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
7:23 AM

Post #7769077

LOL!! That's what happens when you visit too many threads at the same time! :-o

It was finally on the news last night, we had 18 tornados total here in AR, 9 on Friday and 9 on Saturday, a couple EF1's and the rest were split between EF2's and EF3's.

Man those floods are insane!! I haven't seen pics of Nashville since the day before yesterday, I'm praying for ya'll over that way. Is it receding at all?

Bonnie how's Memphis looking? Me and Dave might come that way this month, I want to do a Memphis in May day.
scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

May 6, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #7769258

Thanks Terry...we are on high ground so we miss most every "bad weather event". But our poor Wal-Mart...under 6 feet of water (that's in Ashland City...don't hear too much about us country folk...more about the big city). That little creek by our house is usually about 3 feet deep in the holes. In the photo above it was at least 10 feet if not more. I'm a little nervous to drive over the old bridge now days.

My hubby works down town Nashville and says the water has dropped a lot in the area he works but there are still a lot of detours because of the water.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2010
12:07 PM

Post #7769765

Crissy - Memphis in May should be ok once we dry up over here. You do know it is right on the river, so if we suddenly have alot more rains over here - down on the river is NOT where you want to me. lol.
I am not a big partier, or a large crowd lover, so the MinM is not my cup-of-tea - but it sure does draw in the crowds.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #7770699

Between the crop losses from all the bad weather and flooding and the oil spill, everything will be going up in price. Veggies, fruits, oil/gas, and seafood (if it's even available after this disaster in the gulf.

Glad to hear from many of you in the Nashville area. The destruction and loss of property is awful and we all feel so helpless.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #7770758

I've decided there is an upside to being a procrastinator. My 'mater plants hadn't gotten set out yet, although my husband has been grumbling since mid-March that they need to go out ;o)
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #7771762

LOL Terry!! That's great!

Bonnie we don't like big crowds either, but we do love Memphis! I want some bbq! LOL
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #7776503

We were safe on our hill here in Bellevue. Our driveway washed away and we couldn't get out until a neighbor brought most of it back with his tractor. Really wasn't a problem cause roads were flooded in every direction. One neighbor almost lost his pontoon boat. He chained it to a tree and the force of the water almost pulled the tree out of the ground.

We were without water for a couple of days, without electricity until yesterday and phone and Internet until today. We were fortunate, so many people have lost their lives, homes, cars and pets. So sad to drive around our neighborhood and see the destruction. Several neighbors had water to the ceiling of their homes.

I had been working in the yard on Friday before the rain started and had left a bucket sitting in the garden. It was 18" deep and when the rain stopped it was running over the top. A neighbor said he had measured the rain at 20 inches.
A friend of mine is a horticulturist at Opryland Hotel and is going back to work on Monday. They are planning to open in time for Thanksgiving.

Terry I am with you, I was supposed to go to Ritas last weekend and was going to get my 'mater plants. Maybe next week LOL
Betty

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7776524

(((Betty)))

Guess we are in the same proverbial boat! I'm so glad you're okay - I figured you would be on that hill, but you never know!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2010
8:50 PM

Post #7776630

Betty so good to hear from you. I am so glad all is well there. Tell Phyllis hello from us here. Cindy
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2010
9:42 PM

Post #7776711

Thank you Terry! Hugs back to you
Good Memory Cindy, Phyllis and I went to an art show today. I'll see her at Church tomorrow and tell her you said Hello.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 9, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #7777228

Me too Betty--hi from me, glad you are all right, I guess Phyllis will have her hands full getting the hotel back in shape after all that flooding, how is Lyn doing now?
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2010
9:44 AM

Post #7777590

Betty I am so glad to hear you are ok. I have been praying for everyone in the path of destruction. My goodness.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7778028

Lyn is doing well, Hard to believe that her surgery was over a year ago.
Phillis will have her hands full at Opryland. Her gardens were FULL of beautiful Orchids. All gone! Some of the gardens and flowers were above water level but they are afraid the heat and believe it or not, the dryness may have damaged them. Some Old Bonsai plants were under water and Phillis is afraid they are lost. She is anxious to get in there and get to work.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7779839

Wow how time flies, I'm glad Lyn is doing good. Man, that makes me cry about Opryland, what a beautiful place. It's weird that the plants aren't flooded are dying from too much dryness and heat. Phyllis will have that place back in tip top shape before we know it, if the waters would hurry up and recede!
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 10, 2010
9:33 AM

Post #7780331

Betty, it's great to hear from you! I thought about you all week and wondered if you had any flooding.
I know Phyllis was upset about the loss at Opryland. She's got a lot of work ahead of her, but it will be beautiful again.

Terrye
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2010
11:31 AM

Post #7780722

I am sure she will be upset seeing all that destruction in her gardens. She and her husband have been working all week helping remove destroyed furniture and tear out walls from destroyed homes. Opryland may be a break for her..
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 10, 2010
5:08 PM

Post #7781575

Did she have damage in her home too?

Terrye
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 11, 2010
1:07 PM

Post #7784031

Just finding this thread... sorry to hear about everyone's damage... I have friends who live near Nashville, and they say the destruction is unbelievable...

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #7792083

Hard to understand why such Bad Things happen to such Good People,
One of my neighbors lost their House in a fire a couple of years ago, they recovered from that and rebuilt the house. Then they lost their teenage Grandson in a robbery while we was working at a Pizza shop. The Grand Father (the owner of the house) had By Pass Surgery 3 or 4 weeks ago. They had about 5 feet of water in their house during the flood, I received a call that he had a Heart attack this week and is in the Hospital. Our Church is tearing out the flood damage at the house. We hope to get a group together to landscape their yard after the repair work is done. I know there are similar stories everywhere, this is just one close to home.

Phillis was fortunate and only had water in her basement. She was so pleased that everyone was asking about her.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #7792838

Betty, that is a heart-breaking story. I know there are hundreds of sad stories as a result of this flooding, and I am so glad you and others are able to help your neighbors.

Didn't we meet Phyllis a couple of years ago at the. Lawn and Garden show? I remember her and am so glad her whole house was not flooded. Thanks for keeping us updated. Take care and hope the recovery is swift for Nashville.
Elaine

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America