Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

May 1, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7755737

What I am finally going to do is take all the glass things I have collected and make a birdfeeder or something out of them for the garden. Today there was a gal selling them, and all I wanted to know was the glue she used. She was ticked off.
I even offered her some of the glass items just for the knowledge of the glue used.

I want this to hold up outside, in a ton of rain.

Any help would be super appreciated and also if you have made one please post as I think they are super neat.

D
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7755771

I use E6000 when doing my mosiac work..and I use a 2 part epoxy for other things that are outside.. they make a marine grade that should work well for you with the glass ... you can get it at a big box store about 4.00 a tube

as a former professional artist the fact that she got mad because you asked doesnt sit well with me.. I always share any info when people asked even to the point of writing down a pattern for other basket makers and giving it to them at no cost. apearrenty she hasnt learned that if you share it comes back to you.. usually I ended up with a sale because I had been so willing to share... besides you take 3 artists given the same materials and assignment youre going to get 3 different creations... so dont let her get to you..
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2010
8:19 PM

Post #7755933

heres a glue recipe I found haven't tried it yet

Waterproof - Glass Glue
2 pk (1/2 oz.) unflavored gelatin
2 tb Cold water
3 tb Skimmed milk
Few drops of oil of wintergreen

Preparation
In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin into cold water. Set aside to soften. Heat milk to boiling and pour into softened gelatin. Stir until dissolved. Add oil of wintergreen as a preservative. Makes about 1/3 cup. Use while still warm; may be applied with a brush. This glue is very effective for gluing glass to glass, metal to metal, wood, mending china and labels on glass jars. To glue marbles together allow glue to cool slightly so it begins to jell. Glue should be stored in a screw capped glass jar. It will jell as it cools. To restore it to use set jar in hot water.

Waterproof - Glass Glue

This message was edited May 2, 2010 8:32 AM
irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

May 1, 2010
9:32 PM

Post #7756061

Well I used to do alot of crafts and when someone asked me a question I would gladly answer and help in any possible. This is the first time I have run into this ever. Most crafter's give freely of their knowledge and craft.

I have been collecting this glass forever and seeing it made me realize it was time to do something with it...Want to make myself, my dear DIL and a good friend something with it all. Not sell it as I am so busy I met myself coming and going with my commercial business.

D

Who thanks you for the infor.

D
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 2, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #7756586

I just ordered some Nano490. It was highly recommended for gluing glass to glass on another thread. Either here or in the Glass and Mosaics forum.

There are pictures of glass totems posted on other threads in this forum. I can't remember where but if you have time to look through likely threads you could find them.

If Dahxu (Faye) checks in here she might know where the pictures are. I think she posted several.

katie
prettypeony
Birmingham, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #7776241

I make glass garden totems and use E6000 glue.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #7776606

I glued glass on a board and hung it on my privacy fence. It has been there over 2 years and the glue is still holding. I used E600.
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #7777141

I use clear silicone (make sure it is NOT the one with latex in it). Has worked great, though not totally clear. These were the first two I made, later added the colored blobs of glass, half marbles, whatever you call them, around each place glass pieces were joined, except not right under the plate.

Thumbnail by gingerlily
Click the image for an enlarged view.

blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 9, 2010
12:06 PM

Post #7777862

I love E6000... it works for about everything..its the one glue I always have on hand...
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 9, 2010
8:54 PM

Post #7779054

I use flour and water mixed. It works great. I think that is what you should try Dee. Your darling sister, Sharon.
irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

May 10, 2010
1:50 AM

Post #7779302

Well as soon as the rain stops I will post a picture of the 3 flower stakes and two totems and I love them all it will be hard to part with some as gifts. I do not want to sell but for 5.00 for all my glass and 3.99 for the big tube of E6000 and the gem dots at 2.00 or 1.00 I think that I did well.

D
mattsmom
Tomah, WI

May 10, 2010
3:48 AM

Post #7779368

Can't wait to see them Dee!
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

May 10, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #7780572

I have used E6000 on several mosaic spheres for the garden. Also used it for a built-in-bench on my patio (glued on to cement) that I mosaiced a couple of years ago. Some of the mosaic balls were done on styrofoam and no problems so far.
After trying practically every glue out there, I have settled on E6000 for my tumbled glass window collages, which is glass glued on to glass. So I am using it for nearly everything.
irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

May 10, 2010
10:52 AM

Post #7780603

Thank you for letting me know...Just finished gluing the totems together this morning and will glue the holder for the copper on the back today as well.

D
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2010
11:30 AM

Post #7959995

Dear crafty peeps,

I just started my first glass totem using E6000, a wonderful product. Should have gotten out the level, but just eyeballed part of it. Now I would like to adjust the last piece to level. Has anyone tried unsticking glass, per the instructions on the label, by using acetone? Or should I suck it up thinking no will notice but me (constantly)??

Appreciate any and all help,
Sylvia
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 11, 2010
3:21 PM

Post #7960736

Could you shim the bottom so the top is level? I think you will break the glass if you try to undo the glue.

katie
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #7960762

Good idea katiebear, I had not thought of that. I sure don't want to break any more glass! Already broke enough things piling then up to see what they'd look like only to have them topple over and break on the floor. Anyway I'm very happy with my arrangement now and have 2 more pieces and a plate to add to the top.

Thank you so much!
Sylvia
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 11, 2010
5:04 PM

Post #7960951

d
i would love to see a picture and could you explain a little more what you meant by gluing glass pieces to make a bird bath--
i did make totems one year--ginger lilly got me started! and i used the clear in a tube caulking stuff and it worked very well--all winter outdoors and still standing

ok--i kind of defend the woman who wouldn't share her methods--i would share-i am always telling someone how i did something, where i bought something, how i cooked something--no secrets with me
but i do think that when we ask we have to allow the answer to be no--i know it is hard not to take it personal and i know i would be embarrased if someone said no---but still----

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America