Photo by Melody

Article: Tropical Hibiscus - Fragile, Fleeting, and Fabulous: Leaves with yellow spots and wilting

Communities > Forums > Article: Tropical Hibiscus - Fragile, Fleeting, and Fabulous
bookmark
Forum: Article: Tropical Hibiscus - Fragile, Fleeting, and FabulousReplies: 1, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BostonWhaler
Onalaska, TX

May 2, 2010
1:52 AM

Post #7756199

Dear Islandsheri,

I live in Southeast Texas where it is very hot and humid most of the year, but this winter we had several nights 29 degrees F, a couple even down to 10. My tropical hibiscus made it through its second winter in the house. Now outside again it's blooming like crazy, but huge amounts of leaves are developing yellow spots, some almost looking like a small squash leaf borer (without the borer!!), then turning completely yellow, wilting and falling off. I've looked for any sign of pest and can't find any. Could I have a fungus or some other disease? My potted tomatoes are beginning to do the same thing. Help. This has never happened before.

Thumbnail by BostonWhaler
Click the image for an enlarged view.

suzettesprouts
Philadelphia, PA

November 19, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9337084

I would recommend that you water your Hibiscus with Epson salts. The magnesium is found in high concentrations, which the Hibiscus seem to thrive on. You will want to keep the soil moist but never constantly wet. For this issue I fill a milk jug with tap water and proper amount of salts and let sit next to plant on the floor. So that during the course of a week when cleaning or tidying up I feel the soil, and if dry to the touch, I water it a little about every other day. Just make sure you shake up the water well before applying to plant. Good Luck.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Tropical Hibiscus - Fragile, Fleeting, and Fabulous Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
WOW MitchF 2 Jan 21, 2008 9:07 PM
Great article doccat5 4 Jan 22, 2008 12:41 AM
Enjoyed the article Braveheartsmom 3 Jan 21, 2008 9:09 PM
Great job, Shari LarryR 2 Jan 22, 2008 4:08 AM
Bonnie's Bargain Basement BonniesBasement 2 Jan 25, 2010 5:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America