Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: How do your carrots grow?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 46, Views: 436
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
neworleansdude
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2010
12:27 AM

Post #7759073

So- I planted some carrot seeds back in January and now it's somehow May already! I have them in mostly full sun (at least 6+ hours) but they are in a slightly alkaline soil that tends to have more clay than sand consistancy. They have wonderful foliage, about a foot and a half at this point, BUT I've yet to see anything like an actually carrot top poking above the soil. They're Danver's #126. On the seed packet it says 70 to 80 days maturity, but we all know how that goes...I don't want to disturb the plant if it's still growing, but at the same time I know if I leave them in the ground too long they can get woody. Anyone else in the North Gulf Coast growing carrots and having luck?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2010
10:07 AM

Post #7760229

I run my finger around the stem where it meets the soil to see how big the carrot top is. If I think it's big enough, I pull it, while trying not to disturb the carrot neighbors. If it turns out to be too small, I toss it to the dog - she loves carrots.

In my clay soil, I find "short-n-sweet" does well.
Weedwhacker
Bark River (UP), MI
(Zone 4b)

May 5, 2010
12:42 PM

Post #7766860

HoneyBee, I wonder if *all* dogs love carrots -- I had to put a fence up mainly to keep the dogs out, as they would dig the carrots (and pick the pole beans) otherwise!

Otherwise, yes, lots of variable with carrots, such as water supply and so on; you really just have to check them. Danvers and Nantes are my favorite varieties. The good thing with carrots is you can start pulling some when they're little to use in salads or for munching, then pull bigger ones as they mature. (Not a real rocket science vegetable!)

Sandy
neworleansdude
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2010
1:07 PM

Post #7769886

Thanks for the advice. Some dogs like carrots? Weird!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #7769956

Talk to Sapphirestar19.

She grew some HUMONGOUSLY BEAUTIFUL carrots this past season, here in Houston. She planted seeds in mid-September...

I know...I ate one...!
neworleansdude
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2010
10:19 PM

Post #7771214

So after my last post I went and very carefully started removing some of the dirt from around the biggest carrot and it looks like it has a top that's about the diameter of a nickel so I think I'm going to let them all go a bit longer and time it to pull the first one up at the same time my first tomatto is ripe :) Should be in the next two weeks.

I'll have to try offering a carrot to a dog, that just seems so odd...but then again I do have a cat that likes to lick cantaloupe and strawberries...

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #7772101

neworleansdude - It depends on which type of carrot you sowed - but take a look at carrots in the store, and when your tops look the same - pull one up :)

You'll soon know how large to let the tops grow before you pull them - and if some get too large, you can leave them alone. They'll put up a seed head (the following year I believe) and you'll have free carrots! The flowers are very pretty.

Thumbnail by HoneybeeNC
Click the image for an enlarged view.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #7774087

I grow mine in plastic containers. They are not a good crop for an impatient gardener.
Quyen
Orange, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 9, 2010
4:08 PM

Post #7778398

[quote="1lisac"]I grow mine in plastic containers. They are not a good crop for an impatient gardener.[/quote]

That's why I don't grow carrots!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #7778542

I planted mine in early March and I checked a few of them today. They're about the size of my pinkie.
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

May 10, 2010
9:13 AM

Post #7780272

Linda, you make a girl blush... I grew Vitana last fall in raised beds and replanted this March. I checked them the other day and found some slim ones about the size of my pinkie. 1lisac is right, not a good crop for the impatient gardener. :) My fall carrots-September planting- weren't ready until late December, early January, but I harvested all the way into February.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2010
9:52 AM

Post #7780405

We love carrots so just plant 'em and fagitaboutit - lol... We harvest them all winter long. I still have carrots growing! Unusual but it's been such a mild spring for us here in Phoenix. No 100 days in the forecast for at least the next 10 days. We've been close. Low 80s today! Last year we hit 100 the 3rd of April and it didn't let up until late October!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #7789550

I still have carrots too. I have found the only way to get them to germinate is to competely give up on them and plan on putting something else there. Then all of a sudden they decide to germinate.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

May 13, 2010
10:11 AM

Post #7789892

I was wondering can you start carrots indoors in those jiffy pellets. we dont have quite as long of a growing season as you all do and it would be nice to start them early indoors if possible.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2010
10:52 AM

Post #7789983

hummingtammy - personally I would not recommend any other method for carrots besides direct sowing. They are very hard to successfully transplant. You can plant them as soon as the soil can be worked and there are many many varieties that are considered early - under 60 days - that should do well for you...
Weedwhacker
Bark River (UP), MI
(Zone 4b)

May 13, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #7790015

I agree with Kelly -- they do fine for me up here in northern Mich., so you should have no problems. The "secret" for me seems to be to (1) plant them shallow -- I really just sprinkle the seeds along the row that I've marked out and then use a garden rake to kind of pack them down (not rake them in); and (2) keep them very well watered -- because they're so shallow they also dry out very quickly. I usually cover them with Reemay/floating row cover to help keep in the moisture (and keep my cats from digging them up).

Sandy

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2010
11:08 AM

Post #7790032

Glad you mentioned planting them shallowly Sandy - best advice right there! I too sprinkle them on the surface and press in barely to the soil...
august2003
Beaverton, OR

May 13, 2010
11:16 AM

Post #7790055

1lisac - I have to laugh at your post about the carrots. Last year in our raised beds there was one section just for my husband and he put carrots in there - nothing much happened - then by accident I spilled a bunch of leek seeds in there (I was planting the adjoining section but got clumsy and the excess seed i was going to save fell into his carrot bed) I thought oh well maybe the leeks will never germinate and he will never know i screwed up. Well the leeks got huge and guess what else all of a sudden decided to come up - the carrots. It was a very crowded bed. The carrots had green shoulders and were not too tasty, but the leeks were fabulous. I harvested all excess and put in freezer. Found a recipe on internet for potato leek soup that is fantastic & i just take 4 leeks out of the freezer each time to prepare the soup with. The green shoulders on the carrots - does that mean they were planted too shallow?

This message was edited May 13, 2010 11:20 AM

Thumbnail by august2003

hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

May 13, 2010
11:33 AM

Post #7790108

Sandy ,oh no I bet I planted them to deep we have had a lot of rain this week I will replant them tonight if it doesn,t rain.
what are leeks

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #7792343

Leeks are a member of the onion family. Here's a link so you can to see what they look like:

http://www.dixondalefarms.com/category/lancelot_leeks

I am growing these for the first time this year.
Weedwhacker
Bark River (UP), MI
(Zone 4b)

May 14, 2010
10:16 AM

Post #7792507

For the carrots, also don't forget to thin them out so they have a little room to grow -- it's really hard to plant those little seeds so they're spaced out right!

August2003 -- you're making me hungry by mentioning the potato-leek soup -- can you share the recipe with us?? Please???

;-)
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

May 14, 2010
11:21 AM

Post #7792664

I am glad for the help I have never grown carrots your right the seeds are so small it is hard to see just where they fall.
I looked at the leeks on line the look like something I ,d like and I like soup I like Weedwhackers idea of sharing your recipe I know my family is tired of plain potatoe soup.
rockgardner
Billerica, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2010
8:37 PM

Post #7793880

This message was edited May 30, 2010 11:29 AM
Jim41
Delhi, LA

May 14, 2010
10:15 PM

Post #7794014

I planted some Scarlet Nantes that locaKelly sent me the first of December. We had thirty days of extremely cold weather for our part of the country. Temps were in the upper teens the whole month. Those darn carrots grew in the middle of all that cold. We've been eating carrots a long time. Sure hated to see the last of them go.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2010
10:47 PM

Post #7794038

LOL Jim - those Scarlet Nantes are one of my favorites. Would you believe I still have some in my garden? It was a gamble late planting and we've had such a mild spring - they are yummy. Will be harvesting the last 3 squares tomorrow as the temps are climbing. Glad I gambled and won for once!

rockgardener - I forgot to answer your question... Carrots take a long time to germinate, but not as long as your's have been. Maybe the seeds were not viable if they were really old or they got planted too deep. Another problem may be if they weren't too deep they dried out. It's hard to keep them moist when they are planted shallowly (as they need to be). I would say sow some more at this point.

This message was edited May 14, 2010 10:50 PM
Jim41
Delhi, LA

May 14, 2010
11:01 PM

Post #7794051

I do only raised beds and they dry quickly, especially the top inch. When I plant carrots, lettuce or radishs I sprinkle lightly every day and then every couple of days after they come up until they are actively growing.

Loca, I pulled one of those little carrots after they had been up a while and it had a little carrot about the size of a match. The super cold weather set in and it was a little over thirty days before the temp got above freezing. After the cold let up I went to the garden to check on stuff and pulled another carrot. The joker was about 3 inchs long and as big as my finger. I could not believe that they actually grew when the temp was that cold.

I really like the Scarlet Nantes and will order seed from Johnny's and plant a lot more of them this fall. Thanks for putting me on to them.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #7799515

Harvested the final bunch of carrots today. I think this is the longest I've been able to keep them in the garden in the spring. Usually we're so hot by now. No 100s in the 10 day forecast - unbelievable!

Thumbnail by locakelly

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #7799519

more carrots...

Thumbnail by locakelly

hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

May 17, 2010
9:02 AM

Post #7800525

locakelly , those are really nice ,what kind of carrot are they ?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2010
9:26 AM

Post #7800593

They are Royal Chantenay... Love these carrots!

http://www.botanicalinterests.com/store/search_results_detail.php?seedtype=V&seedid=377

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #7802577

You should send your pics in to Botanical interest. They're looking for a real-life pic for their website.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2010
9:27 PM

Post #7802858

I love their seeds too Steph! I'll have to see what I have for pics of stuff I grew from their seeds and submit some. Thanks for the reminder...

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2010
9:28 PM

Post #7802860

This is my 8 year old holding some of the bigger ones. We made the pic into a cartoon - lol...

Thumbnail by locakelly

august2003
Beaverton, OR

May 19, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #7808961

Weedwhacker - I discovered the Potato Leek Soup recipe at www.pinchmysalt.com
You will find many lovely recipes there. I took many liberties with the recipe - using 2% milk instead of whole cream - adding pinches of fresh herbs from my garden(greek oregano, thyme, marjoram and from the pantry Pimenton de la Vera - Dulce (Spanish Sweet Paprika) - which brightens all of my soups. I also garnish each bowl with bacon bits, fresh chives from the garden, and a generous pinch of shredded cheddar. Serve with some hearty bread for dipping.
Also because my garden grown leeks are smaller than the ones in the store - I used 4 leeks instead of three.

This message was edited May 19, 2010 7:18 PM
Jim41
Delhi, LA

May 19, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7809142

You just made me hungry august and I just finished supper.
Weedwhacker
Bark River (UP), MI
(Zone 4b)

May 20, 2010
5:08 AM

Post #7809823

August -- thanks for sharing the site, I'm anxious to check it out! (I actually thought I had nearly every cooking site already on my "favorites" list but apparently not, LOL -- just what I need, another source for recipes when I barely seem to find time to cook, especially this time of year) Your description of the soup is making my mouth water, though, so I'm pretty sure I'll find some time somewhere. Might have to go buy some leeks to try it out while I'm waiting for mine to grow up!

Sandy
neworleansdude
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2010
9:19 PM

Post #7818646

Well, I ended up pulling my first carrot a couple days ago. It was about four inches long and ok diameter, the top ended up being about the size of a quarter and tapered down nicely. It wasn't the darkest orange and wasn't the sweetest carrot I've ever had - but it came from the yard along with the lettuce and swiss chard to go into a salad for dinner tonight.

On a side note I had to pull all my remaining lettuce today. We've had five or six 90f + days now and the let. is bolting and getting that bitter taste.

So for those who have had good success with carrots should I maybe do another planting in October when the weather finally starts to cool down in this part of the country?

Those were some beautiful looking photos, Locakelly, thanks for sharing.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #7818725

Sure thing dude! Yup - start planting again in the fall. You can succession plant every 2 weeks or so to have continuous crops. Carrots can take cold weather. People in some parts cover them with straw and leave them in the ground in the winter/snow...
Jim41
Delhi, LA

May 22, 2010
10:05 PM

Post #7818747

I planted some Dec. 1 that kelly send me seed of. When the extreme cold weather hit they were about an inch long and the size of a match. After 30 days of below freezing weather they were six inchs long and the size of a quater. Darn things grew in sub freezing weather.
neworleansdude
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2010
11:25 PM

Post #7821712

Jim- if they survived this last winter I'll certainly do a row or two this fall. Don't want to jinx us but it's unlikely we'll have a winter that cold again in the next decade.

All the poor hibiscus, gingers, and bananas,ect...

Actually my gingers and bird of paradise have come back, but most folks palms and hibiscus really look dead or knocking on the door.

Kelly- I always have loved carrots...my aunt still shares the story to this day that about 25 years ago she said she brought me carrots for Christmas - thinking I'd be upset when she was just playing a joke, but instead I said, "thanks". She had a toy or two for me, but no carrots. I think I was slightly disapointed, but then again I was 7 or 8 at the time and memories do tend to fade.

Must be something in them that my brain/and/or/body needs.
Jim41
Delhi, LA

May 24, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #7822131

I'm going to plant my carrots sometime in Sept. this fall. Hopefully the heat will be broken by then. You are right about the winter, it has been many years since I have seen a sustained cold for that long. I have two young palms and surprisingly it didn't hurt them. They are only about a foot tall.

Anothe surprize to me was that the lettuce I had planted wasn't damaged by the cold. As long as I've gardened I had no idea that lettuce was that hearty.

This message was edited May 24, 2010 7:12 AM

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #7822915

I harvested a little over a pound of carrots last night! First time to grow carrots. They weren't as big as I had anticipated, but they're tasty and healthy. I'll definitely grow them again!
Jim41
Delhi, LA

May 24, 2010
11:00 AM

Post #7822991

Fresh are so much better than the ones out of the store. Store carrots are at least a year old when they hit the store. All the flavor is gone. Congratulations, Steph.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2010
3:56 PM

Post #7823841

Here's my haul.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

May 24, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #7824048

I had no idea that store carrots were that old I have never had a home grown carrot so I am looking forward to it. Just wondering how do you store carrots once they are pulled up?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7824072

I cut the tops off, then washed the dirt off and put them in the fridge. I took some to work today, and they were yummy!
Jim41
Delhi, LA

May 24, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #7824391

You are in for a real treat hummingtammy. You can not imagine the flavor. Store carrots have very little flavor.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America