Photo by Melody

Article: Sweet Peas: Perennial sweet pea?

Communities > Forums > Article: Sweet Peas
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sweet PeasReplies: 5, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2010
5:13 AM

Post #7759363

I was told there was a perennial version, Lathyrus vernus, but in looking it up I find conflicting information. Some say it is a vining climber, like the annual, others that it is a low growing plant. Has anyone grown it that can give us the straight dope? Does it have worthwhile flowers?
drjeanne315
Oceanside, NY

May 3, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #7759768

Yes, there is a perennial version, mine is a vigorous climber that comes back bigger and better every year. Flowers are varying shades of pink and white. They take a few years to really get established, but they're worth the wait. It blooms for weeks and weeks with virtually no care, just needs a trellis to climb on.
IlseB
Sammamish, WA

May 3, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #7760160

Lathyrus vernus is a little spring pea, or vetch, and never gets more than 18 inches tall. It has no appreciable scent. It is very cute and easy to grow from seed, which cannot be sent to California due to invasive potential. It bears very little resemblance to sweet peas.

The perennial sweet pea has no scent. Sorry- it was a disappointment to me too.

I always grow sweet peas and my experience tells me that they should be innoculated with pea and bean innoculant (tiny bacteria) before planting. Mine really seem to like the organic vegetable fertilizer that I have started using. It smells so bad my husband won't let me keep it in the garage, but it really works!!

I use seed from "Renee's Garden" and start them early every year. They need to be well situated before the weather gets warm.
JennyWren102
Mason, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2010
11:13 AM

Post #7760438

My Grandmother has one which is easily 60 years old now. It was planted about the time the house was built in the 1930's or 1940's. It grows in partial shade in well-drained sandy soil (near the shore of Lake Michigan) amended annually with compost. The flowers are smaller and less fragrant than annual varieties, colored pale pink to lavender. The plant could grow to 10 feet a year with a bit more care. Even so, it's lovely and mildly fragrant with the classic sweet pea scent. Wish I could tell you the variety, but I'm sure that information is lost by now.
seedsandplants
Spalding
United Kingdom

May 3, 2010
11:16 AM

Post #7760443

In England one of the more popular perennials is Lathyrus latifolius - The Everlasting Pea'. I've got the rose pink form. Last year it was great, flowering from July to September with plenty of blooms. It climbs well and reached to about 6ft up a trellis. Sadly no fragrance with this one either.

We had a cold winter with more snow than normal but the plant has reappeared and is about 12in and just starting to climb again.

I've also tried L. nervosus (Ansons Pea) but seem to have lost it over the winter - pity because it is reputed to be scented.
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #7762734

Thanks to all of you for your responses, I think I have got it straight now.
L. vernus is the low bushy perennial and L. latifolius is the vigorous climber. Although there are warnings about L.l. becoming an invasive weed in California, my Zone 6 is at the limit of its range so I don't think I will have any trouble in controlling volunteers.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sweet Peas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Can they be dried? Liquidambar2 2 May 2, 2010 4:48 PM
Early Spring evelyn_inthegarden 0 May 2, 2010 9:04 PM
Fertilising Sweet peas. cattypuss 0 May 3, 2010 2:01 AM
Sweet Pea Tree freckles68 0 May 29, 2010 7:08 PM
Sweet peas Cashann 0 Jun 13, 2010 3:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America