Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Moles, voles, mysterious holes: moles, voles

Communities > Forums > Article: Moles, voles, mysterious holes
bookmark
Forum: Article: Moles, voles, mysterious holesReplies: 10, Views: 138
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
waplummer
Painted Post, NY

May 3, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #7759399

One cannot "clean up" a woodland garden without completely changing it, so voles will have a field (wood) day. I lost my Polygala paucifolia, presumably to voles.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2010
6:15 AM

Post #7759537

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56802/

Looks like a lovely plant, and I imagine you were very sorry to lose it!

I can report to those who are willing to trap for voles, that I caught three with peanut butter and oat baited traps within the first two days of trapping with only two mouse traps. I've caught none now in a week although I continue to find vole type holes and now have lots of new mole tunneling in one area of sod. I dug into a 'vole' burrow the other day and ran into a mole which I pulled up, photographed-- and let go in the woods, not too far away, with a stern warning. I couldn't do the dirty deed myself directly.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #7759802

If I have a mysterious hole, does that mean it's either a mole or a vole? Do friendly snakes ever make holes?

Thanks,

Carrie

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7761214

Or chipmunk~ I'm not sure you tell, but seems to me like chipmunks realy like to go under a rock,pavement etc with their holes. We always see them right against the house.
I don't know if snakes can actually make holes. It seems to my logic that no they could not, but I can't say that with authority.
susie77
Kirkwood, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #7761551

The article mentioned poisons. As a volunteer at a raptor rehab facility, I plea with everyone to never ever use rodent poisons. They go right up the food chain.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #7761724

Oh, my hole IS right against the house, in a totally neglected area.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2010
3:45 AM

Post #7762476

susie, I appreciate your cautionary note.
~
carrie- I'd think chipmunk in that location but this is a totally unscientific opinion, and chipmunks can dig up potted plants; just ask my mother. But chippers are so cute..

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #7762810

hmm. Can we just fill the hole back up with more dirt? Cement?
Trecia
Asheboro, NC

May 4, 2010
1:19 PM

Post #7763836

To Carrielamont, snakes will use the holes made by the voles and moles. I happened upon one, one spring day. Thinking it was a piece of wood on the ground, I touched it and it promptly disappeared into the hole.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #7771868

Yikes!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #7773506

Yeah- eek! Carrie, I'm afraid they;' just dug up next to the one pile of concrete and make a new hole.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Moles, voles, mysterious holes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very useful and informative article! CapeCodGardener 3 Apr 4, 2011 6:40 AM
News to me! Sundownr 2 May 3, 2010 7:42 AM
Thanks for the information! rjones8194 2 Apr 28, 2010 11:34 PM
caster beans ARWadoo 2 May 3, 2010 6:45 PM
The Final Solution eskarp 2 May 3, 2010 5:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America