Photo by Melody

Upper Midwest Gardening: What's blooming?

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 153, Views: 756
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ptilda
Spooner, WI

May 3, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #7759910

I've been working at getting non-stop color in the gardens, and right now, we're approaching a "hole". The Daffs are fading & the Tulips are fast on their way out. I see Azaleas everywhere blooming, but with our deer problem, haven't invested in them yet. Any other suggestions for early bloomers after the daffs & tulips? I do have some Alliums with buds on them too, not sure how long they will take to open, since this is their first year in my gardens.

duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 3, 2010
12:39 PM

Post #7760707

neighbor just posted this on her Facebook appalled that her young son found what she thinks is an illegal plant. Photo is very fuzzy, but that isn't anything you would smoke is it?

Thumbnail by duck_toller
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2010
1:04 PM

Post #7760758

what's in bloom here...
I've got Blue Flax blooming, carpet phlox, vinca and 1 Wall Flower... oh yea... and this ground cover, Pot of Gold i think it was called.

oh and my dwarf Bleeding Heart.

that's it.

My Sorbet Peony is about to bloom. and i have one single solitary bloom left on the Rhododendron.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2010
4:06 PM

Post #7761258

My Bergenia Cordifolia, White Bleeding Heart, & Columbine are all currently blooming. Variegated Solomans Seal is in bloom but the flowers are insignificant. Lily of the Valley is in bloom as well.
ptilda
Spooner, WI

May 3, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #7762127

Argh! You zone 5 people are probably at least 3-4 weeks ahead of us! I did see some LOV with buds, so those will be out soon, but not a lot of "pop" there. The ground covers are fun & I have some yellow & purple violets, but not enough to "wow" either. I did see some waves of grape hyacinths that are going strong & have a few of those myself. Maybe I should get a hundred or so of those & naturalize a couple of spots for some splash next year.

Also some low-growing white flower that is growing in the neighbor's garden & another (maybe different, I saw it from the car) in a community garden. I think it might be some sort of perennial allysum stuff... whatever that is...

Creeping Charlie is popping up & reminds me why its not completely bad in more naturalized areas, as long as its kept under controll (I stopped trying to get rid of it alltogether). Some small fruit bushes/trees with pink flowers were flowering too at another place, but I don't know what kind they are.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2010
6:34 AM

Post #7762794

Us zone 5 people feel the same way about the zone 6 thru 8 people that have their hostas way ahead of our own. Theirs were leafed out while mine were barely poking through the ground.

Golden Creeping Jenny, Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea' is nice and bright in a dark spot even without having blooms. It spreads just like Creeping Charlie. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/58136/

I have a small variegated Jacob's Ladder that is bloom.
enya_34
Madison, WI

May 4, 2010
6:50 AM

Post #7762844

Late tulips, I have white ones that always are a week or so later than the yellow ones.
Virginia blue bells are still booming for me. A bit late this year, I'd say.
My common Primula is blooming, grown from seed and was divided last year :)
Such a cheerful splotch of red.
And of cause alpine strawberries! This means I'll taste new berries pretty soon.
ptilda
Spooner, WI

May 4, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #7762853

Ah! Virginia Bluebells... on my "get" list this year. I have a couple of primroses, but they are very close to the pond, where my nieces & nephews crawl ALL over looking for frogs, so I think a little foot might have gotten them once or twice...
neheskett
Albert Lea, MN
(Zone 4b)

May 4, 2010
10:09 AM

Post #7763336

My tulips are still going strong, and I have vinca that's in flower. My squill are also still putting up some flowers even though we had to break down and mow over them. I have a clematis that's full of buds, they should be opening in the next couple of weeks...pink champagne, if I remember correctly, but that's one of those that I lost the little plant tag for and interplanted a couple together to boot. I'll know once they open!
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 5, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #7766631

Dandelions!

Thumbnail by duck_toller

textilis
Saint Paul, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 5, 2010
4:14 PM

Post #7767385

Zone 4: Right now I have bleeding heart, trillium, virginia bluebells, dianthus are starting, lots of white anemonie, violets, , lungwort, lamium are covered with flowers, geraniums are starting, epimedium are about done.
voyagergreg
Lakeside Marblehead, OH

May 6, 2010
5:10 AM

Post #7768737

LOL @ duck-toller..Dandelions are growing big here too!!
Dianthus here are starting to bloom which I planted last year & my carnations are starting to bud out...Planted some new raspberry surprise dianthus & 2 butterfly bushes that I got from Bluestone 2 days ago...Also planted some live petunias, cosmo's , snapdragons,& a few marigolds...I have 3 varities of nicotina,saliva hummingbird mix, & rocket mix snapdragons that arrived yesterday from Graceful Gardens...They are all HUGE..Don't have these in the ground yet... I've ben flirting w/ mother nature the last 3 yrs. planting live annuals the first week in May which many here say is to early but so far so good...Last nite we had heavy wind, rain, & a brief hail storm...But all the plants in the ground seem fine this morning!
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #7771618

Native geraniums, lily of the valley and columbine are blooming here. Also my Immortality Iris is blooming. No annuals planted yet. That's something I do around Memorial Day here. I usually plant them in containers for around the patio. It's supposed to get cold again this weekend.

It seems really early for my Tree Peony to bloom, but it has been a strange spring. Glad I took a picture yesterday, it's cold and rainy here today and I'm sure the peony looks bad this morning.

Thumbnail by pastime

ptilda
Spooner, WI

May 7, 2010
7:46 AM

Post #7771896

Beautiful peony! I have a fern-leaf peony that's just about to open, and the bleeding hearts are starting!
enya_34
Madison, WI

May 7, 2010
2:57 PM

Post #7773094

What a lovely peony and so needed a cheer on a rainy day. I have primulars still blooming and
saw buds forming on one of the siberian irises.
enya_34
Madison, WI

May 7, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7773099

I got a fern leaf peony last year and it's up but no where near blooming. I wonder when they normally bloom in WI.
ptilda
Spooner, WI

May 7, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #7773159

Well, the lovely dusting of snow accumulating might make a nice color! argh! How annoying! I think Al Gore needs to explain some things to God!
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2010
5:19 AM

Post #7774593

enya_34 - There should be some sign of a bud forming. If you just got it last year, maybe it won't bloom this year. I hope it does for you, they're so pretty.
enya_34
Madison, WI

May 10, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #7780026

No buds forming, but they all came back and look happy. After I started gardening I learned to
appreciate the plants as well as flowers ;)

Finally got the camera, charged the battery and found the card reader.

These lady sleepers bloomed for me last year and I am so very happy they are back!

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 10, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #7780035

Here's a Trillium grandiflorum that grows by my house. 5 year no increase, but it comes up
each year.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 10, 2010
8:01 AM

Post #7780039

And that's what our shared lot looks like in spring - a carpet of trilliums. I wonder if they were planted like this.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 10, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #7780048

This is a siberian iris I got from Marcia quite a few years ago now. I moved it a couple of times, but it seems to lilke this spot best.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 10, 2010
8:05 AM

Post #7780057

These are shooting starts I propagated 3 years ago as an experiment, I have more of the results scattered around the garden. In the back is variegated Solomon's seal from Marcia. This one comes back happy but seems to be a slow multiplier for me.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 10, 2010
8:05 AM

Post #7780062

Here comes my Primular craze. This one I bought this year - Green Lace.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 10, 2010
8:06 AM

Post #7780066

More primulas. These came up after I thought them dead last summer. They bloomed and then literary disappeared.
enya_34
Madison, WI

May 10, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #7780068

forgot the picture

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 10, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #7780070

Maxine's Immortality. I love white in this half shade. Very strong plant in an area heavily salted.
One of the reasons I love bearded irises is that they take a lot of abuse and still come out looking
gorgeous.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 10, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #7780074

miniture Solomon's seal. I am so exited it all is back. Transplanted it last summer in the heat when I had time and was not quite sure it would make it.

Thumbnail by enya_34

pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7782781

I love the look of all the trilliums. I have a few wild flowers in my north garden. Right now the native geraniums are blooming. There's wild ginger in there also, but I don't have a good picture. It gets a flower, but it's small and hides under the leaves.

Thumbnail by pastime

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 12, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #7788560

What a lovely patch of geraniums! I love these for being so undemanding and yet so charming. Yes those wild ginger flowers are always hiding.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 13, 2010
4:18 AM

Post #7788915

This is what your fern leaf peony will look like in a few yrs.
I can take another pic of some that are blooming or just starting to open if you would like a more detailed pic.

Maxine

Thumbnail by Maxine

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 13, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #7789469

Wow! What a beauty. You have it blooming right now? I have not seen an open peony in Madison yet.
ptilda
Spooner, WI

May 13, 2010
10:45 AM

Post #7789964

Maxine, thanks so much for posting that! Mine is under some oaks, in a part-shade situation, and they seem happy there so far. Hoping they really help to brighten up that spot!
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2010
3:25 PM

Post #7790683

Thought I'd share some blooms. :)

Here's a lovely trillium bloom.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #7790684

variegated Solomon's seal after today's rain.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7790685

Columbine is blooming it's fool head off!

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7790687

Does this GINORMOUS rhubarb count? :P

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #7790695

Have to add...Enya, I love all of your woodland wildflowers. What a gorgeous display! And Maxine, that peony is to die for.
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2010
4:27 AM

Post #7791748

Finally there is sun today. My Immortality iris is blooming today. The heuchera and heucherella are looking good despite an invasion of creeping charlie. I filled a wheelbarrow with it. That's what I get for not cleaning up the bed last fall.

Thumbnail by pastime

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 14, 2010
4:46 AM

Post #7791775

That's a royal rhubarb, Kayly. Love all the closeups, especially the trillium. You can see all those beautiful dark veins on the green. I can never make closeups in focus.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #7791806

I wish I could take credit for making great closeups, but...it's my camera. Many digital cameras (and mine's even an older one) have macro settings for closeups where you're less than 2 feet from the subject. That's all I use; just an automated feature on my camera. The icon for the macro setting is usually a flower (tulip) shape. Maybe your camera has one. :)
enya_34
Madison, WI

May 14, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #7791982

It does and, believe me, I tried. My hands are not steady for some reason, even stabilization feature does not make up for it.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2010
7:24 AM

Post #7792130

I have issues with that sometimes. A trick I've learned is to squat down a bit and rest my elbow(s) on my thigh to steady my hand. Even then, it doesn't always work. I keep thinking I should pick up a tripod, but I never seem to do it.
enya_34
Madison, WI

May 14, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #7792222

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that. - have my thighs with me all the time unlike the tripod :)
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #7805914

The "Lemon Chiffon" fringed tulips are still in bloom (weeks now), narcissus poeticus is just finishing. Peony -double fern-leaf is in bloom (less bloom than last year..I think it got warm too quickly), single peony tenufolia, lamium varieties, primroses, trillium are finishing (again less time due to heat), white and red bleeding heart, Jacobs ladder-finishing, sweet woodruff, lily of the valley (white is lasting longer than the pink this year), wild geranium, the thalictrums are starting to bloom. The red violets that are in full shade are still blooming, crested iris, dwarf iris are done, TB iris (purple) and the Star of Bethlehem blooms that escaped my shovel!!
Gardening carefully as the toads are traveling the yard..love those little cuties.
enya_34
Madison, WI

May 18, 2010
9:06 PM

Post #7805979

Oh, Marcia, you have toads! I have not seen those in years. My neighbourhood is not pesticide free unfortunately. I have thalictrum from you and Big Al both are about to burst. What a nice plant!

I have some pinks that started blooming but this year it's a scattered singles at the onset. Usually, I get a whole patch aglow but not this year.
And I still have my white tulips out. I'll move them to the shadier spot for next year to get more punch out of white they get lost in the sun.

I have TB iris just opening and the siberian I got from you going full strong now. Funny how they always go together unlike my other siberian iris that is in full sun. It's just pushing buds out.
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2010
11:00 PM

Post #7806120

The trillium and alpine forget-me-nots are still going, it's been cool here. The alliums and TB iris are just budding. The tulips and dwarf iris are done. The medium iris, delphs, polemonium, creeping gypsophilia and columbine are blooming. One surprise is that the Muscari armeniacum still look good, I guess because they're sterile. I wish they weren't.

ps--please send toads.

This message was edited May 19, 2010 12:01 AM
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2010
11:18 PM

Post #7806128

Whoops, I just received a telepathic message from 'Elizabeth Ann' (geranium) that I forgot she is blooming as well, and is the first of the geraniums to do so here. The others are just budding.
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 19, 2010
5:58 AM

Post #7806440

I have iris, baptisia 'Carolina Moonlight', Rainbow Knockout rose, and a primula japonica from the RU last year blooming, plus several other roses are about to open their buds, as are the trollius ledebourii. Afraid I don't remember who brought the primula but it's thriving and those light pink blooms are gorgeous - thank you!!
enya_34
Madison, WI

May 19, 2010
9:05 AM

Post #7807061

I do love pictures too :) Not very good at taking them, never have my camera on me when I do see something worth taking a shot of. But today I found my camera and walked to work ;)

This Columbine is unfortunately not in my garden, but I stop and thigh every time I walk past it.mine

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 19, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #7807069

I had to go on my knees to snap this picture. What a lovely peony! And it is completely hidden by a hideous bush. You can't see it but my knees are on 4 feet high branches that cover this beauty.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 19, 2010
9:09 AM

Post #7807078

Don't the flowers remind you of a bridal wreath? Every year I am making a few attempts to take a good photo of them, but it's either not enough light or, like in this case, too much of it.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 19, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #7807082

Well, this peony is mine :( It's 4 years old, just under 2 feet high and has two buds. But I'll finally see it bloom :)

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 19, 2010
9:13 AM

Post #7807086

This how my "no man's land" garden looks right now. I am so happy that I don't have to mow this strip anymore and it gives me smiles instead of highs now :)

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 19, 2010
9:15 AM

Post #7807091

This is Marcia's iris. Can you imagine what these guys can do in full sun?
Do you think it's getting too big? It's 3 clumps.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 19, 2010
9:17 AM

Post #7807093

Spiderwort is blooming. I have 2 types, but this year the fuchsia one decided to rush ahead of the blue one.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 19, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #7807099

Last year this thyme was doing poorly so I planted dianthus next to it. I am suspecting rivalry has something to do with this year's success :)

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 19, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #7807118

As you can see planning is not my forte, but ... they bloom!

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 19, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #7807124

Primulas are still putting on the show. This year is my best year ever for them. I wish they'd multiply.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 19, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #7807156

Tall white violets full of seed pods but they don't spread like the blue ones do. I don't see any Downy Yellow Violet this year. I hope I have at least one left somewhere :( Not sure what happened to them.
Can anyone id it for me?
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2010
10:36 AM

Post #7807439

Enya, your pictures are wonderful. It's been so windy here that I can't get clear pictures. Every time I think it's calmed down for a moment, I lift my camera, and get a big gust.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2010
10:54 AM

Post #7807479

Lovely pictures, Enya! Is that hydrangea quericifolia--oak-leaf hydrangea--in the one shot with the white flowers? It's very pretty.

I'm envious of your irises. I have had my Siberians in about 4-6 hours sun for the past 3 years and they refuse to bloom. I haven't had bloom one since I got them. I just posted a thread in the iris forum asking for help. Looks like I'm going to have to divide them (although they're not that big) to 6 fans and get them into more sunlight. I always thought Siberians could take some shade. *mutter*

Your primulas look pretty, too. That's another one that just won't grow for me. They never survive the winter.
enya_34
Madison, WI

May 19, 2010
11:18 AM

Post #7807554

Kayly,
This very same iris I moved 3 times before I found a place they seemed to like. It's not full sun, it's dappled shade. Sun never touches them :( but that seems to be not a problem. I found that siberians unlike TB don't tolerate road salt well. So I move them all on the other side of the sidewalk. All winter I religiously sort the snow: good on my side, dirty with salt on the other ;) Everybody laughs but that makes a difference for me.
Any plant that grows in my "no man's land" garden take tremendous amounts of salt.

No it is not a hydrangea, I wish... It's an American cranberry viburnum http://www.abnativeplants.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantdetail&plant_id=21
It looks it's best in spring.

The two primulas I posted are new to me - 2d winter. They were not very happy after the previous one. I
I do have another one that is red with yellow center. This one is very hardy and takes salt! And when I say salt, it's not just salt and the pressure of 3-4-5 ft of snow and ice. I think, I can get you a piece of that one because I divided it. It is an earlier bloomer too.
enya_34
Madison, WI

May 19, 2010
11:20 AM

Post #7807555

grrrlgeek, taking pictures is a challenge for me. I used Kayly's trick - use your thighs for tripod :)
Well, now I have to learn to pay attention to what is in that green box of focus.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #7808018

Aaah...viburnum. I can see that now. I guess they do look a little similar, though. This is the hydrangea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hydrangea_quercifolia_BhamBotGdn.jpg

It's funny, but I'm terrible at identifying even the most simple shrubs. I suppose it's because I'd rather plant perennials than most shrubs. Still, my kids know that I'm generally pretty good at identifying plants, so they're always asking me, "What's that?" and I'll say, "I'm not good with shrubs." I guess this proves it, right? lol
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7809232

KaylyRed, I had to wait for 4 years for some of my SI iris to bloom. I think that they are a snooty group and will take their time to do their thing!!! My areas of "full sun" is less than 6 hours, I have many in dappled shade. Some have bloomed for one season and have taken a season off..they aren't crowded or anything..just snarky.
Maybe a little food (mine don't get it) but they do get a bit of water when it is quite dry..and you will win them over...good luck.
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2010
12:45 AM

Post #7809646

Mine were planted last year, so I didn't expect anything (and got what I expected). It was finally calm enough to get some pics today; I will post them tomorrow after I process them.
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #7809968

My Siberian iris are also snooty. I have bunches of them on the north, east and west side of the yard. I noticed yesterday that the ones on the west are going to bloom. For the size of the clump, they are being very stingy with their blooms. I like to use the seed pods in floral arrangements, if I ever get any!

My Korean Lilac is magnificent this year. The winds were just right yesterday and I could smell them from inside the house. It's one happy shrub.

Thumbnail by pastime

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 20, 2010
8:39 AM

Post #7810376

Oh, what a show of flowers on that lilac!

Food would speed things up, I was told, tremendously. But I don't feed mine either:(
I dote over plants that look sick, but most of the time siberians do not so they tend to
be ignored.

Yes, oak leaf hydrangea is a lovely plant and does look very similar to the native
cranberry viburnum.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #7810770

Pastime, looooove that lilac! I can never get enough of the scent of lilacs. I think it's so special because the blooms are so short-lived--a fleeting aroma of late spring.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2010
11:32 AM

Post #7814054

August weather predicted..AWK..what the heck am I going to do for the week that will be too hot to work outside. The flowers are just going to run through. Gripe, Gripe,Gripe!
I have lamium--shade ground cover that spreads by runners..has purple flowers (that this season are still in bloom after weeks..that is going to stop this week!!
Anyhow..once established will cover at about 4" tall..doesn't seem to pop all over,,just marches forward once established.
Finally got the lawn mowed, was tall enough that grass was seeding (mower finally back from shop.) I mowed slowly, so toads could travel through..one was on the toadway and hopped into one of the sedum "beds".
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2010
5:05 PM

Post #7820842

I hate it when I'm crawling around pulling weeds in a flower bed and Mr. Toad hops up. I don't expect anything to be moving in there except me!
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7821110

I just get worried that I will step on them as I am not quite as graceful as I once was. Our hunting toy poodle was investigating the toads..but didn't hurt them. She has been known to bring in prey..gack!!!!!!
enya_34
Madison, WI

May 25, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #7825859

Siberians are starting

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 25, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #7825861

This is the whole 3 year old clump. Not a spreader, I'd say...

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 25, 2010
9:05 AM

Post #7825865

Woodland is still nice. Jacks...

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 25, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #7825871

First saw roal ferns in Marcia's garden. Thought they were regal. This one is not there yet, but I am learning to be pacient.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 25, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #7825877

Chives and strawberries :) This is my herb corner. The oak is not in a good place and I should probably do something about it.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 25, 2010
9:09 AM

Post #7825882

This Thalictrum came to me as a baby from Marcia's versatile gardens. Look at it now!
The lily of the valley by the way is 3 years older than it and not really filling in :(

This message was edited May 25, 2010 10:09 AM

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 25, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #7825890

This Thalictrum is lighter in color and came from Big Al's garden. You cannot really see, but it is on a pretty steep slope and is doing fine. I am so glad that some plants can scale that incline.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 25, 2010

Post #7825897

My dream is to make that unsightly mess to bloom or at least to green up. Posting to set a challenge for the next year's "what's blooming" thread.

Please ignore the mess above ...

Thumbnail by enya_34

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2010
12:07 PM

Post #7826455

All very nice, enya! Even the "mess" looks good to me. You should see mine. :P
enya_34
Madison, WI

May 25, 2010
2:21 PM

Post #7826940

Kayly,
The back drop of ferns and tall trees is actually not my property - a shared lot, but it does make things look so much better in a perspective :) I don't have nice tidy beds :( It's all prettier in the pictures than it is in real life.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #7827057

Geranium started blooming today. I think this is 'Biokovo,' but I forgot to make a record for it. :(

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 26, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #7828822

Beautiful and so delicate. I can even see the little hairs. Love your closeups. Still working on mine.

I do love love geraniums but not sure how to plant use them in the garden. So for expediency and following an idea that I got on one of the garden tours I just lumped all of mine together. I have 4 different ones. Well, whoever created the Pulmonaria bed that seeded the idea in my head definitely gave it far more thought than I did. Planted against each other various species of the same family could show the great extend of variation but without artistic touch and botanical planning that's not an eye catching arrangement I was going for.
enya_34
Madison, WI

May 27, 2010
7:24 AM

Post #7832690

I have a white bleeding hearts that never really puts on a show. But can you believe it's still blooming?
It's been over a month now. Crazy, ha? Tried to trim the picture, but my focus is somewhere in
the middle so that did not work too well.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 27, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7832693

This is a very old (over 40 years old) day lily that grows in full shade, but blooms each year!

Thumbnail by enya_34

grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
10:40 PM

Post #7835309

these are pictures from last week
creeping gypsophilia

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek

grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
10:41 PM

Post #7835312

flying solo iris

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek

grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
10:42 PM

Post #7835314

confused golden bells daff

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek

grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
10:43 PM

Post #7835316

red trillium with hosta shade fanfare

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek

grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
10:43 PM

Post #7835318

white trillium

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek

grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
10:44 PM

Post #7835321

columbine winky blue

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek

grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
10:45 PM

Post #7835323

alpine forget-me-not started from seed last spring

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek

grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
10:49 PM

Post #7835331

geranium Elizabeth Ann

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek

grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
10:49 PM

Post #7835333

tiny serviceberry bush

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek

grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
10:51 PM

Post #7835335

poor arisaema flavum-started to grow sideways in the bag, then i stepped on it. i checked on it today and the flower has turned the yellow it's supposed to and it's put up 2 leaves. tough little guy.

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek

grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
11:04 PM

Post #7835351

polemonium blue pearl, in pots still. i went out and looked at everything for the first time since i had elbow surgery last friday and the TB irises are all blooming, and the spiderwort. the daylilies aren't doing anything yet.

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek

pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2010
5:31 AM

Post #7835586

My Thalictrum is blooming this morning.

Thumbnail by pastime

motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2010
11:29 AM

Post #7836586

Still blooming -bleeding heart, yellow trillium, Spanish bluebells, sweet woodruff,
Started: gasplant (dictimus), thalictrum, several shades of spiderwort, bearded iris, Siberian iris, pseudocarpus (the light yellow) peony- Krinkle white, sweet william., herb Robert (short ferny self seeding annual with tiny pink flowers-memory garden), Dames rocket, virgins bower has just started-
enya_34
Madison, WI

May 28, 2010
11:46 AM

Post #7836643

After Marcia showed me her Thalictrum I am a believer.

Pasttime, in your picture the the white Columbines echo so lovely the pink of the plant. The back lighting is especially effective.

grrrlgeek, the looking up Columbines are so nice, but I especially like creeping gypsophilia - so delicate.
Never seen daffs like these with no outside petals. So unusual!
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7837181

they have them, just very small. all my similar daffs got confused last fall and came up right away, then this spring i found some frozen buds and figured there wouldn't be any blooms. this one is doubly confused, but at least i got to see a bloom.

pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2010
4:08 PM

Post #7837341

Thanks enya, the picture was taken at 7 a.m. That garden faces east.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #7843079

The voilas I started from seed are looking nice now.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2010
1:14 PM

Post #7843082

Penstemon barbatus 'Rondo Mix'

These SPREAD! I'm not complaining--I really like them. And they're a great mix of colors from electric blue to hot pink. I'll try to photograph the whole clump after they've all more or less opened. (And after I weed that bed so it's less embarrassing. :P)

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

enya_34
Madison, WI

May 30, 2010
11:41 PM

Post #7844827

Penstemons are nice. I have got two starter of Husker Red two years back at the UMRU. They are nice size now and about to open. Mine did not spread that much just got to be mature clumps. Would love to see the mix of colors.
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2010
7:46 AM

Post #7845331

Baptisia is blooming this morning. Usually I miss catching this plant in bloom. It's in a spot I don't get to much. It's now so tall it's reaching my kitchen window. I can't miss it anymore. I like using the seed pods in floral arrangements.

Thumbnail by pastime

pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #7845350

Also blooming is Tradescantia 'Sweet Kate' and the other, darker leafed Spiderwort are also blooming. Sweet Kate doesn't seem to be as prolific as the other type. I like the contrast the lime green leaves give in a bed.

Thumbnail by pastime

pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #7848466

Japanese Lilac tree is blooming this year. It took last year off.

Thumbnail by pastime

enya_34
Madison, WI

June 1, 2010

Post #7848518

pastime, beautiful combinations of blue and various greens! I've seen Tradescantia 'Sweet Kate' on my walk to work before. It's a great plant especially for later in the season when the greens are no longer as fresh looking. That lime just pops up. Love Lilac trees, get to enjoy them every year walking past the corner of the Engineering Hall at UW-Madison :)
Their are always to prim no matter the season!
enya_34
Madison, WI

June 2, 2010
7:51 AM

Post #7851568

Here's a Penstemon Prairie Fire. I am very very impressed with the size of the flowers.
As for the vigor, well, let's say it did not increase at all from the size I bought it at last year.
Quite a difference with the Husker Red. Which I got at the RU and it is a beauty, strong and
always covered with flowers.

I wonder if any one could speak on the vigor of other Penstemons. I do like the growing habit
of them and would be interested in something bluish.

Pardon the mess around. That's what most of my "flower beds" look like up close :)

Thumbnail by enya_34

Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 2, 2010
10:01 AM

Post #7851929

This is my lilac tree that our oldest son gave me for Mothers Day, I think 3 yrs. ago.

Maxine

Thumbnail by Maxine

enya_34
Madison, WI

June 2, 2010
11:20 AM

Post #7852163

Maxine, it must have been a mature tree when you got it. It's lovely present for Mother's day.
I wish my men would do something like this.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 2, 2010
2:34 PM

Post #7852753

Well, its the only time he has done it. Has ignored all future Mothers day gifts.

Maxine

Sorry about the tippy fence, didn't see it until I posted the pic. Its tippy like its owner, still bothered with the vertigo.
ptilda
Spooner, WI

June 2, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7852919

The list of blooming goodies...

Spooner:
What's left of the Bleeding Hearts after the late snow froze most of them
Spiderwart
Some Iris
Wild Geraniums
Hardy Geraniums
Forget-Me-Nots
Shrub Roses
Some of the low-growing sedum
A few of the later Alliums
Columbine (just starting)
Lamium

Budding:
Foxglove
Peony
Siberian Iris
Stella DL's
Valerian
Yarrow

Duluth:
Lilac
Siberian Iris
Allium (giants)
Perennial Bachelor Buttons
Honeysuckle Shrubs (white, pale pink, and bright pink)
Trillium

Budding:
Peony
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #7855819

Blooming
TB iris
pinks
carnations (just starting)
spiderwort
columnar apple
perennial creeping gypsophilia
yellow jack-in-the-pulpit
one sea pink plant ( i have some confused plants)
one early tomato!
chamomile (reseeded from last year)
all perennial geraniums
alliums Ivory Queen and moly, hair allium showing just a couple of tentative tendrils

Done
lilacs
forget-me-nots
columbine
enya_34
Madison, WI

June 3, 2010
2:02 PM

Post #7855829

Still lots of color but it seems to finish so early this year :(
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #7856353

I was outside and my "big" tomatoes have blossoms, too. I was really hoping to get earlier tomatoes by starting one cherry tomato really early, but I guess you can't fool a tomato. They're earlier than the others at least. Also, my Clematis Caerulea is blooming, it's a little guy I have growing up through the columbine to give some color to that area after the columbine is finished.

Next store they have some Asiatic (i think) Lilies blooming, but they bought them that way, so I'm not sure if they would be normally.

Budding
Some of the Daylilies (Stella D'Oro and a couple others)
Comfrey Bocking 14
Sedum Spruce

motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7856847

Blooming- Sundrops-(oenetheta fruticosa) many of which will be coming to RU..
Budding and now GONE, the Jackmanni clematis that I ended up pruning off at the roots while I was trying to clip off trash tree seedlings. It was covered with buds..I have one spindly vine left. ARGH

Double peonies are running through like they were on a marathon, daylilies are setting up scapes.
First 2 open blooms on the Martagon lily.
Clematis (maybe the President..no tag when I got it at end of season sale.
Big leaf ligularia are showing great form.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 4, 2010
3:28 AM

Post #7857549

Marcia, do you know the name of your Martagon?
Hope to see some at the Flower Factory.

Jeff, if you have any two toned or bi/color small hosta's I would like a couple. I had planned on raiding Marie's bed, but will see if you have any that I like. Aren't I nasty counting on Marie like that?

Maxine
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #7861792

I will have to check for the name. I got it at Gloria's Garden..a "farm flower garden" on Hwy 12..just on Madison side of Sauk City.

Snooty Siberians..had purchased "Super Ego" years ago..bloomed for one season..then no show until this year. 2 lovely clumps where 2 fans had been..took time off to set fans...I am trying now to mark things..but (again) running in to round-to-it..and relying on memory..)0

Maxine-checked Plantfiles-common martagon-mine is rose/mauve.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2010 4:34 PM
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 6, 2010
3:56 AM

Post #7863053

Oh Marcia, that doesn't tell me much!! LOL

Will have to check one of mine for name as I think it could be the same.

Will start digging plants today. Don't know yet what?
Have plants in the greenhouse I plan on bringing also, plus a start of "Queens Tears" a house plant in our area. A friend in Calif. near where my grenddaughter lives gave it to me yrs. ago.

Maxine
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2010
10:30 AM

Post #7863905

:) will continue to dig plants this week..today if the main bed dries out a bit..nice rain yesterday..enjoyed it after I got out of it..:)
sissy70
Rushville, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2010
12:39 PM

Post #7981022

here are some of my blooming flowers Im from Indiana
this is my Zinnia's more to come

Thumbnail by sissy70

sissy70
Rushville, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2010
12:44 PM

Post #7981037

next some of my hollyhocks these are pink ones and white ones

This message was edited Jul 19, 2010 2:47 PM

Thumbnail by sissy70

sissy70
Rushville, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2010
12:50 PM

Post #7981049

here are my black ones

Thumbnail by sissy70

sissy70
Rushville, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2010
12:55 PM

Post #7981054

here are my french hollyhock zebrina

Thumbnail by sissy70

sissy70
Rushville, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2010
12:58 PM

Post #7981064

here are my marigolds

Thumbnail by sissy70

sissy70
Rushville, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2010
1:04 PM

Post #7981077

this is my last one and I cant remember what it is
but it is beatiful it was a birthday present I got in the birthday club

Thumbnail by sissy70

enya_34
Madison, WI

July 20, 2010
7:49 AM

Post #7983073

sissy,
Hollyhocks are lovely. I always stop to look at them on my way to work but don't grow them myself :(
I am especially fond of the dark ones. Your marigolds are such a tight sunny bunch :)
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2010
3:44 AM

Post #7990079

red hollyhock ,It has different leaves and is shorter than my black,sissy do you know what variety it might be ,I didnt know malva zebrina was also know as french hollyhock,I also have some peach

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2010
3:47 AM

Post #7990081

stargazer

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2010
4:05 AM

Post #7990089

blue scabiosa ?? I really dont think thats what it is. Any ideas ??? I looked it up and it does not seem to match up

This message was edited Jul 23, 2010 6:47 AM

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2010
4:50 AM

Post #7990140

I LOVE ZINNIAS

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2010
4:51 AM

Post #7990143

love em

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2010
4:53 AM

Post #7990149

african dasiy

Thumbnail by huggergirl

Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 23, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #7990526

look up anemone's. I can't raise them, but perhaps you can. I would look at the fall seed catalogs that we are reeving now.

Maxine
sissy70
Rushville, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #7991240

hugger girl just where is columbia city located I just wondered how far you are from me sissy70
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #7991368

We live 115 miles almost due north little west of ft wayne..
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7991555

I know that Stargazer lilies are not anything new, but every time I see them I go, "Oooo, pretty!"
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2010
3:25 PM

Post #7991642

Kayley,can you ID the purple one below stargazer ??? Ive been looking .havent started a thread yet .Tamara
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #7991856

I really have NO clue, but it's gorgeous! Put that one on the ID forum and report back for us, please. :)

I know that it's absolutely not scabiosa, though. That's got a totally different looking flower.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31644/
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2010
4:51 PM

Post #7991882

Yes I did find that out,actually I got a pale yellow 1 at the swap and I didnt know what it was ,and when I went looking at Scabiosa said hey thats what that is ...LOL but definitly not the purple ,I hope it is a pereinnal..LOL
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2010
9:37 AM

Post #7993130

That was going to be my next question: are you sure that's not an annual?

EDITED TO ADD: I posted it to the ID board. It was driving me nuts not knowing what it was. We'll see what they say. lol

This message was edited Jul 24, 2010 10:46 AM
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2010
9:57 AM

Post #7993183

Aha! That was very fast. Here's your answer...

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/891/

:D
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #7993310

Kayley ,you are soo sweet.Thank you ,Texas Bluebell(slang) always wondered what they looked like.I shall be saving seed...and I will try to start tthem next year.Thank you.Tamara
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #7993854

No problem, hugger :)

Here's a look at my rudbeckia, started from seed indoors this winter. This is 'Autumn Colors.'

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7993858

Here's 'Autumn Colors' and 'Indian Summer' together. Nice big flowers on both of them. I started both from seed and they really took off once I planted them.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 25, 2010
4:00 AM

Post #7994907

Kayla, where did you get the seed for your rudbeckia "Autumn Colors"?
reminds me some what of Goldilocks.

Maxine
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2010
10:35 AM

Post #7995550

It was Burpee seed, Maxine. Purchased at Steins.

EDIT: Nope, I take that back. The seed was Aimers, But still purchased from Steins.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2010 11:38 AM
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 25, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #7996036

Steins is out of Racine, isn't it?
Well guess I won't be getting any seed there.

Thanks for letting me know.

Maxine
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7996504

There are Stein's in the eastern part of Wisconsin, mostly, it looks like:

http://www.steingg.com/pc/storelocations.asp

There are probably plenty of seed catalogs that carry them, too. Oddly, mine don't look anything like the pictures I'm finding of 'Autumn Colors,' but they do look like the photo on the package. I get the impression that 'Autumn Colors' is a mix, so there are variations.
enya_34
Madison, WI

July 26, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #7997812

I absolutely love Autumn colors! What a lovely full flower. It almost looks like a football mum :)
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #7999645

I planted some fall colors Rudbecias and Irish eyes .I got 4-5 rudbecia starts from the swap ,they are doing very well ,1 is about to bloom only 1 flower...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America