What's blooming?

Spooner, WI

I've been working at getting non-stop color in the gardens, and right now, we're approaching a "hole". The Daffs are fading & the Tulips are fast on their way out. I see Azaleas everywhere blooming, but with our deer problem, haven't invested in them yet. Any other suggestions for early bloomers after the daffs & tulips? I do have some Alliums with buds on them too, not sure how long they will take to open, since this is their first year in my gardens.

Middleton, WI(Zone 4b)

neighbor just posted this on her Facebook appalled that her young son found what she thinks is an illegal plant. Photo is very fuzzy, but that isn't anything you would smoke is it?

Thumbnail by duck_toller
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

what's in bloom here....
I've got Blue Flax blooming, carpet phlox, vinca and 1 Wall Flower... oh yea... and this ground cover, Pot of Gold i think it was called.

oh and my dwarf Bleeding Heart.

that's it.

My Sorbet Peony is about to bloom. and i have one single solitary bloom left on the Rhododendron.

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

My Bergenia Cordifolia, White Bleeding Heart, & Columbine are all currently blooming. Variegated Solomans Seal is in bloom but the flowers are insignificant. Lily of the Valley is in bloom as well.

Spooner, WI

Argh! You zone 5 people are probably at least 3-4 weeks ahead of us! I did see some LOV with buds, so those will be out soon, but not a lot of "pop" there. The ground covers are fun & I have some yellow & purple violets, but not enough to "wow" either. I did see some waves of grape hyacinths that are going strong & have a few of those myself. Maybe I should get a hundred or so of those & naturalize a couple of spots for some splash next year.

Also some low-growing white flower that is growing in the neighbor's garden & another (maybe different, I saw it from the car) in a community garden. I think it might be some sort of perennial allysum stuff... whatever that is...

Creeping Charlie is popping up & reminds me why its not completely bad in more naturalized areas, as long as its kept under controll (I stopped trying to get rid of it alltogether). Some small fruit bushes/trees with pink flowers were flowering too at another place, but I don't know what kind they are.

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Us zone 5 people feel the same way about the zone 6 thru 8 people that have their hostas way ahead of our own. Theirs were leafed out while mine were barely poking through the ground.

Golden Creeping Jenny, Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea' is nice and bright in a dark spot even without having blooms. It spreads just like Creeping Charlie. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/58136/

I have a small variegated Jacob's Ladder that is bloom.

Madison, WI

Late tulips, I have white ones that always are a week or so later than the yellow ones.
Virginia blue bells are still booming for me. A bit late this year, I'd say.
My common Primula is blooming, grown from seed and was divided last year :)
Such a cheerful splotch of red.
And of cause alpine strawberries! This means I'll taste new berries pretty soon.

Spooner, WI

Ah! Virginia Bluebells... on my "get" list this year. I have a couple of primroses, but they are very close to the pond, where my nieces & nephews crawl ALL over looking for frogs, so I think a little foot might have gotten them once or twice...

Albert Lea, MN(Zone 4b)

My tulips are still going strong, and I have vinca that's in flower. My squill are also still putting up some flowers even though we had to break down and mow over them. I have a clematis that's full of buds, they should be opening in the next couple of weeks...pink champagne, if I remember correctly, but that's one of those that I lost the little plant tag for and interplanted a couple together to boot. I'll know once they open!

Middleton, WI(Zone 4b)

Dandelions!

Thumbnail by duck_toller
Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

Zone 4: Right now I have bleeding heart, trillium, virginia bluebells, dianthus are starting, lots of white anemonie, violets, , lungwort, lamium are covered with flowers, geraniums are starting, epimedium are about done.

Lakeside Marblehead, OH

LOL @ duck-toller..Dandelions are growing big here too!!
Dianthus here are starting to bloom which I planted last year & my carnations are starting to bud out....Planted some new raspberry surprise dianthus & 2 butterfly bushes that I got from Bluestone 2 days ago...Also planted some live petunias, cosmo's , snapdragons,& a few marigolds...I have 3 varities of nicotina,saliva hummingbird mix, & rocket mix snapdragons that arrived yesterday from Graceful Gardens...They are all HUGE..Don't have these in the ground yet... I've ben flirting w/ mother nature the last 3 yrs. planting live annuals the first week in May which many here say is to early but so far so good...Last nite we had heavy wind, rain, & a brief hail storm...But all the plants in the ground seem fine this morning!

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Native geraniums, lily of the valley and columbine are blooming here. Also my Immortality Iris is blooming. No annuals planted yet. That's something I do around Memorial Day here. I usually plant them in containers for around the patio. It's supposed to get cold again this weekend.

It seems really early for my Tree Peony to bloom, but it has been a strange spring. Glad I took a picture yesterday, it's cold and rainy here today and I'm sure the peony looks bad this morning.

Thumbnail by pastime
Spooner, WI

Beautiful peony! I have a fern-leaf peony that's just about to open, and the bleeding hearts are starting!

Madison, WI

What a lovely peony and so needed a cheer on a rainy day. I have primulars still blooming and
saw buds forming on one of the siberian irises.

Madison, WI

I got a fern leaf peony last year and it's up but no where near blooming. I wonder when they normally bloom in WI.

Spooner, WI

Well, the lovely dusting of snow accumulating might make a nice color! argh! How annoying! I think Al Gore needs to explain some things to God!

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

enya_34 - There should be some sign of a bud forming. If you just got it last year, maybe it won't bloom this year. I hope it does for you, they're so pretty.

Madison, WI

No buds forming, but they all came back and look happy. After I started gardening I learned to
appreciate the plants as well as flowers ;)

Finally got the camera, charged the battery and found the card reader.

These lady sleepers bloomed for me last year and I am so very happy they are back!

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

Here's a Trillium grandiflorum that grows by my house. 5 year no increase, but it comes up
each year.

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

And that's what our shared lot looks like in spring - a carpet of trilliums. I wonder if they were planted like this.

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

This is a siberian iris I got from Marcia quite a few years ago now. I moved it a couple of times, but it seems to lilke this spot best.

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

These are shooting starts I propagated 3 years ago as an experiment, I have more of the results scattered around the garden. In the back is variegated Solomon's seal from Marcia. This one comes back happy but seems to be a slow multiplier for me.

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

Here comes my Primular craze. This one I bought this year - Green Lace.

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

More primulas. These came up after I thought them dead last summer. They bloomed and then literary disappeared.

Madison, WI

forgot the picture

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

Maxine's Immortality. I love white in this half shade. Very strong plant in an area heavily salted.
One of the reasons I love bearded irises is that they take a lot of abuse and still come out looking
gorgeous.

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

miniture Solomon's seal. I am so exited it all is back. Transplanted it last summer in the heat when I had time and was not quite sure it would make it.

Thumbnail by enya_34
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I love the look of all the trilliums. I have a few wild flowers in my north garden. Right now the native geraniums are blooming. There's wild ginger in there also, but I don't have a good picture. It gets a flower, but it's small and hides under the leaves.

Thumbnail by pastime
Madison, WI

What a lovely patch of geraniums! I love these for being so undemanding and yet so charming. Yes those wild ginger flowers are always hiding.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

This is what your fern leaf peony will look like in a few yrs.
I can take another pic of some that are blooming or just starting to open if you would like a more detailed pic.

Maxine

Thumbnail by Maxine
Madison, WI

Wow! What a beauty. You have it blooming right now? I have not seen an open peony in Madison yet.

Spooner, WI

Maxine, thanks so much for posting that! Mine is under some oaks, in a part-shade situation, and they seem happy there so far. Hoping they really help to brighten up that spot!

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Thought I'd share some blooms. :)

Here's a lovely trillium bloom.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

variegated Solomon's seal after today's rain.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Columbine is blooming it's fool head off!

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Does this GINORMOUS rhubarb count? :P

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Have to add...Enya, I love all of your woodland wildflowers. What a gorgeous display! And Maxine, that peony is to die for.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Finally there is sun today. My Immortality iris is blooming today. The heuchera and heucherella are looking good despite an invasion of creeping charlie. I filled a wheelbarrow with it. That's what I get for not cleaning up the bed last fall.

Thumbnail by pastime
Madison, WI

That's a royal rhubarb, Kayly. Love all the closeups, especially the trillium. You can see all those beautiful dark veins on the green. I can never make closeups in focus.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.