Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Plant Collars to Put the Water to the Plants Roots: Biodegradeable collars

Communities > Forums > Article: Plant Collars to Put the Water to the Plants Roots
bookmark
Forum: Article: Plant Collars to Put the Water to the Plants RootsReplies: 1, Views: 124
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PoconoLuka
Kapaa, HI
(Zone 11)

May 3, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #7760574

I like the idea, but why use roofing material which will hang around forever. Try two or three layers of newspaper to make your "collars" or even a loose cone to put the plants and some soil in. It will degrade into the soil and feed the plant after several weeks.
puertorico
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #7800104

I love the plant collar idea but it occurs to me that It might not be a good idea to use newspaper or other biodegradable materials because of moisture wicking. Moisture wicking can also be a problem when seedlings are started in peat pots, you have to make sure you bury all of the pot or tear off the top before you plant.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Plant Collars to Put the Water to the Plants Roots Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
good idea btroje 0 Sep 1, 2007 3:49 AM
plant collars karen1950 1 May 3, 2010 7:13 AM
I like that idea hellnzn11 0 Apr 29, 2010 6:33 PM
sunken beds ARWadoo 0 May 3, 2010 2:59 AM
Enter this in the gardening contest Ninzerbean 0 May 3, 2010 4:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America