Bird baths, bird pools, dribblers & misters pics please??

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, birdsters,

I've finally gotten around to getting together some water features in the yarden and I am curious what others on the forum have set up for their birdy friends?

I have a couple of traditional birdbaths but I want to do some with maybe a bubbler, maybe create a couple of 'moving water' features from 'found' items, or even buy something from the Water Feature Store.

So I'm looking for all kinds of ideas~~small and easy, or fancy and elaborate and everything in between. But especially 'water features' that your birds use.

Any ideas?

Thanks. t.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Well, I'll start off by saying my birds aren't particular and really enjoy our 5 different birdbaths.

Here's a picture of one table top fountain that I got at a yard sale for $5. It's really the most popular with all my birds from crows down to the small hummingbirds.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Another popular one of mine is this solar fountain that I had in a pot saucer last year. The birds love it and it's easy to clean each morning. I have moved it to a prettier birdbath this morning but haven't gotten a picture of it yet. The solar fountain was ordered online for $44.95 plus shipping and it's lasted me for two years already. Here's a link where I ordered mine they have lots of pretty fountains to give you more ideas-

http://www.serenityhealth.com/sunjet_150_solar_water_fountain-p-917-l-en.html

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Marlton, NJ

Tabasco. Thanks for starting this thread.

Duc, I love the solar fountain and of course the other one.

I have 3 or 4 bird baths. 1 Pedestal style,1 Ground style and 1 Hanging. We do have a fountain we run periodically.

Oops, edited to say we have sometimes used a mister. Haven't been having much luck with attracting birds so far but I'll keep trying it in different areas. :-)

This message was edited May 4, 2010 12:33 PM

Thanks, ducbucin and pelle,

Interesting to see your fountains, duc, and to know that birds actually use yours.

I'm in the same boat as Pelle, in the past we haven't had much luck in actually getting birds to our birdbaths. Don't quite understand it.

I'm thinking others don't have a lot of luck with bird baths and fountains since no one else has posted. I thought I would be barraged with ideas.

Oh, well.

I did get a beautiful birdbath fountain for Mother's Day but now I have to figure out how to set it up. And I'm dying for a mister~~they say the hummers love them.

We'll see what turns up here....maybe something yet.

t.

Marlton, NJ

Hi tab, Sorry I must have said that wrong. All the bird baths get plenty of business, we need to fill them at least twice a day.. They are kept close to cover (tree's, bushes and arbor).

The mister hasn't seen any business in past years but I'll try it again this year once I find it. :-)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm relatively new to birding in general. I'm learning new info. about how to keep a bird friendly-environment. I just recently drawn to bird baths. I set up a couple without any type of fountains or misters....but that is an attractive idea. I'll be watching for new ideas. Tab, and Duc, love your birdbaths.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone. Bear with me - this is very long!

tabasco,
I have several birdbaths, none with drips or misters. They get non-stop activity all year long, but the two that see the most action are located under a young River Birch. I think the birds love the low branches which allow them to use it both as a "staging" point and a place to dry & preen their feathers.

One of the two has an integrated heater. It's one of those beige, plain-looking types, not at all esthetic, but the birds (& squirrels) love it. It was actually meant to be mounted on a deck, but instead, my husband mounted it on a pedestal from an old cast aluminum birdbath we weren't using. Perfect! It's so popular that we just remove the electrical cord when the weather warms up & leave it out all year. I have to refill it several times a day during warm weather.

Although all the good bird supply sites & stores carry them, they are fairly expensive through those sources. We got ours at Farm & Fleet & have seen them at Menard's for about $30.00 so I would check large farm stores & home centers first.

I have seen a mister called the "Cool Mist Stick" that I'm probably going to try. Supposedly Hummers love a fine mist. A local nursery here is selling them for $8.00. I've seen them online, but they're about $25.00! Visualize something that looks like a piece of stiffened rope that is coiled on the bottom & stands up (kind of like a Cobra, but about 30" tall) with a very fine mist spraying out at the top. They're not pretty - plastic tubes in colors like bright blue. They attach to a hose so you can place them where you want. I wouldn't want to run the hose all day, but occasionally, it might be fun to try. If you just want to see what they look like so you know what to look for, www.amazon.com has one. They use a different name, but the item # is: MC400. I would check local sources first since I'm sure you could get one much cheaper.

Another easy, virtually free, dripper I've seen & have been tempted to try is to hang a .5 liter water bottle or larger pop bottle overhead from a tree, shrub, shepard's hook, etc.. It can be either right-side-up or upside down - make a hole large enough to "drip" water. It's even better if it's hanging over a birdbath.

Obviously the above two water features are not meant to be "end-all" solutions, but they might be worth trying just to see if they bring in more birds.

If your birdbaths aren't getting much use, are they completely out in the open? Try putting one near a tree or other shrubbery (but not too close to a type that will hide predators). It might make the birds feel more secure.

Hope any of this helps. Sorry I couldn't offer any moving water features that I have personal experience with.

This message was edited May 7, 2010 10:44 AM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

N.A.N. Wow, that's really food for thought. I'll try some of your idea this weekend. Thank you.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I just got in from having watered the garden with the sprinkler system. Boys let me tell you all those birds out there were having a blast with the water misters.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have 2 pedestal bird baths. One is larger and deep, and one is shallow. The deep one is used by squirrels (grrr), crows, magpies (grr), blackbirds, northern flickers and the occasional woodpecker. The shallow one is used by finches, chickadees, sparrows, redpolls and hopefully hummers. The robins and bluejays use both. I put rocks in the shallow one for perching on and in winter I fill it with warm water. I also would like to get a moving water feature. Maybe a bubbling rock.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

I have a single concrete bird bird that sees a lot of action since I added my home-made dripper.

What I did was suspend a gallon milk jug (painted flat black) right-side-up, above it. To make it drip, I used a piece of aerator clear plastic tube (that goes with an aquarium).. I drilled a hole in the cap and to make sure the tube stayed in the bottom-most part of the jug, I taped a short piece of brass rod to it. I simply start a siphon by sucking a bit of water into the down-hanging tube (I made sure the tube hangs about about 10-12 inches below the bottom of the jug. To control the amount of water flowing through the siphon-tube, I inserted one of those (mine is green) little valves with the round knob in the middle (I bought the valve in the pet shop at the same time I got the 3-foot piece of tube. When I turn the value off, the water drips, drips,drips. I had to drill a few tiny holes into the milk jug's cap to keep the jug from collapsing as it emptied.

I hope this makes sense.

The first time I tried this I poked a tiny whole in the bottom of a milk jug but it was aggravating getting it to drip at a steady rate. Also, it would never go completely empty - and if I made the hole a little bigger, it ran too fast.

My new set-up works great for me.

Hack

This message was edited May 7, 2010 7:05 PM

Thanks for the ideas!

I don't know what it is about our birds but they just don't seem to like our bird baths...I think I'll add a few rocks or gravel to each one to make them shallower and add 'perches' like you described, nuts. Ours in the first pic on the thread I know is too deep.

I received one of the heated birdbaths for Christmas a few years ago and I think I've seen 3 birds in it total. I really don't understand that one but it is on our deck railing and maybe I need to rig a set up on the ground near some shrubs.

Hack, you must be a natural engineer to figure out your dripper description. I had to reach back into my highschool science knowledge to understand your set-up.

I went out to Home Depot and saw those plastic 'cobra' misters, and bought one for $11 (in purple) yesterday, set it up on the deck, and within ten minutes saw a hummingbird flying thru it. She seemed to like it but was somewhat put off by my daughter who liked it too and was sunbathing there! Will try it again today without daughter dear. (Daughter wants her own!)

So that's a step in the right direction!

Today we're going to try to get my new 'birdbath fountain' going.

Have a good weekend. t.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I have several different bird baths and they seem to love the more shallow ones the best. Also...their favorite bird bath is water in a plain old mud hole!! They flock to the mud holes after a good rain and I love to watch them lining up to drink and take baths!!

Marlton, NJ

Yes all mine are shallow too. It does mean more trips to fill them but there certainly busy.

I'll post these next photos of an adorable female House Finch in the bird bath. We had just cleaned and filled it. You can see how shallow the water is by where it comes to on her.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

I don't usually think too much of House Finch but this little girl was so charming!

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

This is also a heated bird bath in the winter. I placed it right in front of the arbor so there was cover for them. I bought mine from this seller at Ebay and have bought a few other things from this same seller.
http://cgi.ebay.com/KOZY-BIRD-SPA-HEATED-BIRD-BATH-PEDISTAL-N-I-B-/220193079705?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item334487c199#ht_500wt_956

It is already a shallow bird bath so there is no way to make the water too deep.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

That's all for now.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

I, also have found that most of the birds, particularly the smaller ones, prefer the shallower bird baths.

Hackster, thats a great idea using the tube.

Pelletory, simply adorable pictures!

Tabasco, that's great that you found one of those misting "sticks" at a reasonable price. It appears that it's just what the hummers wanted, but it sounds like you'd better buy another one for your daughter before they run out.

Buy the way, even if you put your heated bird bath near some trees or shrubs, you'll probably find that in the winter most birds will only come to drink, not bathe. Makes sense. I doubt that I'd take many baths outside in sub-freezing temps either.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Great point Pell. I too find that the majority of birds like shallow baths. I originaly got the deep one cuz the robins were always jumping in and doing back strokes in the shallow one and emptying it. I think if you have larger birds, having a deep one is a good plan. Although the robins use the shallow one they do 'swim' for the most part in the deep one. Also I have found that with larger birds using the deep one, the smaller birds aren't so intimidated to come for water or a dip in the smaller one. I'm no expert (for sure snort) Just sharing what's happenin in my garden ^_^

This message was edited May 8, 2010 7:25 PM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It must be wonderful to watch those little birds throuroughly enjoyed their bath. Love those pics. Pelle. Ahhh, I want to set up a bird bath like now. lol.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

This little female House Finch had herself a good ole time. She eased in slowly, but before long she was really into it.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Now, just the head.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

It must have felt good, because she went all out.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Now, this Robin wasn't shy at all. Its kinda like its waving "Ya'll come on, the water fine!"

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh, yeah, The Robin was enthusiastic.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster
PERTH, Australia

Good shots, Hack. Enthusiastic is a good word to describe birds in water.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I have several...but I'll just add 3 pics.
This one is of a Grackle...waiting for me to fill the tub...again! LOL
Many days I'll clean and fill the birdbath between 3-8 times a day!

This message was edited May 11, 2010 11:47 PM

Thumbnail by SusanLouise
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

A Robin taking a leisurely soak...

Thumbnail by SusanLouise
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Party time folks...

Thumbnail by SusanLouise
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

MargaretK, thanks. Since I added my "dripper", if have more birds than ever before.

SusanLouise - that Robin sure looks relaxed.

Hack

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Tabasco,
Thanks for starting this thread! :)

Hack & Pelletory,
Adorable lady House Finch pics!!!!

Hack,
Couldn't be more relaxed if I got the birdbath heater and added carrots, peas, and potatos to the water...LOL

This message was edited May 12, 2010 12:29 AM

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Humm, SusanLouise, that sounds like a recipe for Robin Stew.

Uggh, I can't believe I said that. :-)

Hack

SusanLouise~~that last shot of the robins is precious! I have never had anything close to that going on in my yarden. So cute! t.

Talihina, OK

I have lots of birdbaths and the amount of use they get seems to depend how much rainfall we have ,where we live there are lots of farm ponds so the birds can really be picky,will send some pics of ones I have made using a plan from Garden Gate magazine

Thumbnail by grits74571
Talihina, OK

Sometimes the birds seem to like a plain water bucket better than anything else < I put a piece of wire mesh down into one side of the bucket so they are assured of a way out ,here is another bath

Thumbnail by grits74571
Talihina, OK

and another>>> the very first one I made

Thumbnail by grits74571
Talihina, OK

From this you can see how it is done very easy I used an Elephant Ear leaf

Thumbnail by grits74571
Anaheim, CA

We installed a shallow birdbath about a year ago. My husband installed an "auto-filler/water feature" by hooking up a line from our drip system. He clipped it to the back and only the hose is visible. He works for Home Depot so he gets great advice from the guys. Anyway, since this has been in the yard we have tons more birds than ever. Bluebirds, Robins, Orioles etc.

Thumbnail by CAwinediva
Marlton, NJ

Beautiful bird baths guys!

Grits, Those are absolutely beautiful; great job!

CA, That is a great idea! Glad it's getting so much business!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.