Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Bird Watching: Bird baths, bird pools, dribblers & misters pics please??

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 136, Views: 1,394
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2010
11:58 AM

Post #7760582

Hi, birdsters,

I've finally gotten around to getting together some water features in the yarden and I am curious what others on the forum have set up for their birdy friends?

I have a couple of traditional birdbaths but I want to do some with maybe a bubbler, maybe create a couple of 'moving water' features from 'found' items, or even buy something from the Water Feature Store.

So I'm looking for all kinds of ideas~~small and easy, or fancy and elaborate and everything in between. But especially 'water features' that your birds use.

Any ideas?

Thanks. t.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2010
12:25 PM

Post #7760675

Well, I'll start off by saying my birds aren't particular and really enjoy our 5 different birdbaths.

Here's a picture of one table top fountain that I got at a yard sale for $5. It's really the most popular with all my birds from crows down to the small hummingbirds.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2010
12:33 PM

Post #7760691

Another popular one of mine is this solar fountain that I had in a pot saucer last year. The birds love it and it's easy to clean each morning. I have moved it to a prettier birdbath this morning but haven't gotten a picture of it yet. The solar fountain was ordered online for $44.95 plus shipping and it's lasted me for two years already. Here's a link where I ordered mine they have lots of pretty fountains to give you more ideas-

http://www.serenityhealth.com/sunjet_150_solar_water_fountain-p-917-l-en.html

Thumbnail by ducbucln

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 4, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #7763257

Tabasco. Thanks for starting this thread.

Duc, I love the solar fountain and of course the other one.

I have 3 or 4 bird baths. 1 Pedestal style,1 Ground style and 1 Hanging. We do have a fountain we run periodically.

Oops, edited to say we have sometimes used a mister. Haven't been having much luck with attracting birds so far but I'll keep trying it in different areas. :-)

This message was edited May 4, 2010 12:33 PM
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #7770099

Thanks, ducbucin and pelle,

Interesting to see your fountains, duc, and to know that birds actually use yours.

I'm in the same boat as Pelle, in the past we haven't had much luck in actually getting birds to our birdbaths. Don't quite understand it.

I'm thinking others don't have a lot of luck with bird baths and fountains since no one else has posted. I thought I would be barraged with ideas.

Oh, well.

I did get a beautiful birdbath fountain for Mother's Day but now I have to figure out how to set it up. And I'm dying for a mister~~they say the hummers love them.

We'll see what turns up here...maybe something yet.

t.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 6, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #7770112

Hi tab, Sorry I must have said that wrong. All the bird baths get plenty of business, we need to fill them at least twice a day.. They are kept close to cover (tree's, bushes and arbor).

The mister hasn't seen any business in past years but I'll try it again this year once I find it. :-)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7770832

I'm relatively new to birding in general. I'm learning new info. about how to keep a bird friendly-environment. I just recently drawn to bird baths. I set up a couple without any type of fountains or misters...but that is an attractive idea. I'll be watching for new ideas. Tab, and Duc, love your birdbaths.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #7772037

Hi everyone. Bear with me - this is very long!

tabasco,
I have several birdbaths, none with drips or misters. They get non-stop activity all year long, but the two that see the most action are located under a young River Birch. I think the birds love the low branches which allow them to use it both as a "staging" point and a place to dry & preen their feathers.

One of the two has an integrated heater. It's one of those beige, plain-looking types, not at all esthetic, but the birds (& squirrels) love it. It was actually meant to be mounted on a deck, but instead, my husband mounted it on a pedestal from an old cast aluminum birdbath we weren't using. Perfect! It's so popular that we just remove the electrical cord when the weather warms up & leave it out all year. I have to refill it several times a day during warm weather.

Although all the good bird supply sites & stores carry them, they are fairly expensive through those sources. We got ours at Farm & Fleet & have seen them at Menard's for about $30.00 so I would check large farm stores & home centers first.

I have seen a mister called the "Cool Mist Stick" that I'm probably going to try. Supposedly Hummers love a fine mist. A local nursery here is selling them for $8.00. I've seen them online, but they're about $25.00! Visualize something that looks like a piece of stiffened rope that is coiled on the bottom & stands up (kind of like a Cobra, but about 30" tall) with a very fine mist spraying out at the top. They're not pretty - plastic tubes in colors like bright blue. They attach to a hose so you can place them where you want. I wouldn't want to run the hose all day, but occasionally, it might be fun to try. If you just want to see what they look like so you know what to look for, http://www.amazon.com has one. They use a different name, but the item # is: MC400. I would check local sources first since I'm sure you could get one much cheaper.

Another easy, virtually free, dripper I've seen & have been tempted to try is to hang a .5 liter water bottle or larger pop bottle overhead from a tree, shrub, shepard's hook, etc.. It can be either right-side-up or upside down - make a hole large enough to "drip" water. It's even better if it's hanging over a birdbath.

Obviously the above two water features are not meant to be "end-all" solutions, but they might be worth trying just to see if they bring in more birds.

If your birdbaths aren't getting much use, are they completely out in the open? Try putting one near a tree or other shrubbery (but not too close to a type that will hide predators). It might make the birds feel more secure.

Hope any of this helps. Sorry I couldn't offer any moving water features that I have personal experience with.

This message was edited May 7, 2010 10:44 AM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #7772154

N.A.N. Wow, that's really food for thought. I'll try some of your idea this weekend. Thank you.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
10:49 AM

Post #7772499

I just got in from having watered the garden with the sprinkler system. Boys let me tell you all those birds out there were having a blast with the water misters.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 7, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #7772680

I have 2 pedestal bird baths. One is larger and deep, and one is shallow. The deep one is used by squirrels (grrr), crows, magpies (grr), blackbirds, northern flickers and the occasional woodpecker. The shallow one is used by finches, chickadees, sparrows, redpolls and hopefully hummers. The robins and bluejays use both. I put rocks in the shallow one for perching on and in winter I fill it with warm water. I also would like to get a moving water feature. Maybe a bubbling rock.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2010
12:39 PM

Post #7772778

I have a single concrete bird bird that sees a lot of action since I added my home-made dripper.

What I did was suspend a gallon milk jug (painted flat black) right-side-up, above it. To make it drip, I used a piece of aerator clear plastic tube (that goes with an aquarium).. I drilled a hole in the cap and to make sure the tube stayed in the bottom-most part of the jug, I taped a short piece of brass rod to it. I simply start a siphon by sucking a bit of water into the down-hanging tube (I made sure the tube hangs about about 10-12 inches below the bottom of the jug. To control the amount of water flowing through the siphon-tube, I inserted one of those (mine is green) little valves with the round knob in the middle (I bought the valve in the pet shop at the same time I got the 3-foot piece of tube. When I turn the value off, the water drips, drips,drips. I had to drill a few tiny holes into the milk jug's cap to keep the jug from collapsing as it emptied.

I hope this makes sense.

The first time I tried this I poked a tiny whole in the bottom of a milk jug but it was aggravating getting it to drip at a steady rate. Also, it would never go completely empty - and if I made the hole a little bigger, it ran too fast.

My new set-up works great for me.

Hack

This message was edited May 7, 2010 7:05 PM
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2010
2:26 AM

Post #7774452

Thanks for the ideas!

I don't know what it is about our birds but they just don't seem to like our bird baths...I think I'll add a few rocks or gravel to each one to make them shallower and add 'perches' like you described, nuts. Ours in the first pic on the thread I know is too deep.

I received one of the heated birdbaths for Christmas a few years ago and I think I've seen 3 birds in it total. I really don't understand that one but it is on our deck railing and maybe I need to rig a set up on the ground near some shrubs.

Hack, you must be a natural engineer to figure out your dripper description. I had to reach back into my highschool science knowledge to understand your set-up.

I went out to Home Depot and saw those plastic 'cobra' misters, and bought one for $11 (in purple) yesterday, set it up on the deck, and within ten minutes saw a hummingbird flying thru it. She seemed to like it but was somewhat put off by my daughter who liked it too and was sunbathing there! Will try it again today without daughter dear. (Daughter wants her own!)

So that's a step in the right direction!

Today we're going to try to get my new 'birdbath fountain' going.

Have a good weekend. t.

dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2010
4:48 AM

Post #7774558

I have several different bird baths and they seem to love the more shallow ones the best. Also...their favorite bird bath is water in a plain old mud hole!! They flock to the mud holes after a good rain and I love to watch them lining up to drink and take baths!!
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 8, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #7774765

Yes all mine are shallow too. It does mean more trips to fill them but there certainly busy.

I'll post these next photos of an adorable female House Finch in the bird bath. We had just cleaned and filled it. You can see how shallow the water is by where it comes to on her.

Thumbnail by pelletory

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 8, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #7774773

I don't usually think too much of House Finch but this little girl was so charming!

Thumbnail by pelletory

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 8, 2010
6:47 AM

Post #7774800

This is also a heated bird bath in the winter. I placed it right in front of the arbor so there was cover for them. I bought mine from this seller at Ebay and have bought a few other things from this same seller.
http://cgi.ebay.com/KOZY-BIRD-SPA-HEATED-BIRD-BATH-PEDISTAL-N-I-B-/220193079705?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item334487c199#ht_500wt_956

It is already a shallow bird bath so there is no way to make the water too deep.

Thumbnail by pelletory

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 8, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #7774806

That's all for now.

Thumbnail by pelletory

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2010
11:17 AM

Post #7775413

I, also have found that most of the birds, particularly the smaller ones, prefer the shallower bird baths.

Hackster, thats a great idea using the tube.

Pelletory, simply adorable pictures!

Tabasco, that's great that you found one of those misting "sticks" at a reasonable price. It appears that it's just what the hummers wanted, but it sounds like you'd better buy another one for your daughter before they run out.

Buy the way, even if you put your heated bird bath near some trees or shrubs, you'll probably find that in the winter most birds will only come to drink, not bathe. Makes sense. I doubt that I'd take many baths outside in sub-freezing temps either.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 8, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #7776272

Great point Pell. I too find that the majority of birds like shallow baths. I originaly got the deep one cuz the robins were always jumping in and doing back strokes in the shallow one and emptying it. I think if you have larger birds, having a deep one is a good plan. Although the robins use the shallow one they do 'swim' for the most part in the deep one. Also I have found that with larger birds using the deep one, the smaller birds aren't so intimidated to come for water or a dip in the smaller one. I'm no expert (for sure snort) Just sharing what's happenin in my garden :-)

This message was edited May 8, 2010 7:25 PM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #7776476

It must be wonderful to watch those little birds throuroughly enjoyed their bath. Love those pics. Pelle. Ahhh, I want to set up a bird bath like now. lol.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2010
9:22 PM

Post #7785461

This little female House Finch had herself a good ole time. She eased in slowly, but before long she was really into it.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2010
9:23 PM

Post #7785462

Now, just the head.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2010
9:24 PM

Post #7785464

It must have felt good, because she went all out.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2010
9:26 PM

Post #7785468

Now, this Robin wasn't shy at all. Its kinda like its waving "Ya'll come on, the water fine!"

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2010
9:26 PM

Post #7785471

Oh, yeah, The Robin was enthusiastic.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 11, 2010
9:38 PM

Post #7785489

Good shots, Hack. Enthusiastic is a good word to describe birds in water.
SusanLouise
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2010
9:43 PM

Post #7785501

I have several...but I'll just add 3 pics.
This one is of a Grackle...waiting for me to fill the tub...again! LOL
Many days I'll clean and fill the birdbath between 3-8 times a day!

This message was edited May 11, 2010 11:47 PM

Thumbnail by SusanLouise

SusanLouise
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2010
9:45 PM

Post #7785507

A Robin taking a leisurely soak...

Thumbnail by SusanLouise

SusanLouise
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2010
9:49 PM

Post #7785517

Party time folks...

Thumbnail by SusanLouise

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2010
10:02 PM

Post #7785533

MargaretK, thanks. Since I added my "dripper", if have more birds than ever before.

SusanLouise - that Robin sure looks relaxed.

Hack
SusanLouise
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2010
10:25 PM

Post #7785551

Tabasco,
Thanks for starting this thread! :)

Hack & Pelletory,
Adorable lady House Finch pics!!!!

Hack,
Couldn't be more relaxed if I got the birdbath heater and added carrots, peas, and potatos to the water...LOL

This message was edited May 12, 2010 12:29 AM

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2010

Post #7787010

Humm, SusanLouise, that sounds like a recipe for Robin Stew.

Uggh, I can't believe I said that. :-)

Hack
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2010

Post #7787106

SusanLouise~~that last shot of the robins is precious! I have never had anything close to that going on in my yarden. So cute! t.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

May 12, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #7787141

I have lots of birdbaths and the amount of use they get seems to depend how much rainfall we have ,where we live there are lots of farm ponds so the birds can really be picky,will send some pics of ones I have made using a plan from Garden Gate magazine

Thumbnail by grits74571

grits74571
Talihina, OK

May 12, 2010
12:53 PM

Post #7787158

Sometimes the birds seem to like a plain water bucket better than anything else < I put a piece of wire mesh down into one side of the bucket so they are assured of a way out ,here is another bath

Thumbnail by grits74571

grits74571
Talihina, OK

May 12, 2010
12:55 PM

Post #7787166

and another>>> the very first one I made

Thumbnail by grits74571

grits74571
Talihina, OK

May 12, 2010
12:59 PM

Post #7787172

From this you can see how it is done very easy I used an Elephant Ear leaf

Thumbnail by grits74571

CAwinediva
Anaheim, CA

May 12, 2010
1:29 PM

Post #7787254

We installed a shallow birdbath about a year ago. My husband installed an "auto-filler/water feature" by hooking up a line from our drip system. He clipped it to the back and only the hose is visible. He works for Home Depot so he gets great advice from the guys. Anyway, since this has been in the yard we have tons more birds than ever. Bluebirds, Robins, Orioles etc.

Thumbnail by CAwinediva

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 12, 2010
1:56 PM

Post #7787356

Beautiful bird baths guys!

Grits, Those are absolutely beautiful; great job!

CA, That is a great idea! Glad it's getting so much business!
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7787663

grits, thanks for the directions on how to make the elephant ear bird bath. Several days ago I was googling to make something similar to your beautiful pieces and then decided that I would ask on this forum for some tried and true ideas. So thank you!

CAwinediva, love your photo of your orioles? in the bird bath. Very pretty.

I keep watching my birdbaths to see if they are getting any action and haven't seen a bird even close to them since the thread was started!
SusanLouise
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #7787774

Great pics everyone!
We just have the "usual" activity here. I keep waiting for a Wren to visit our yard and take advantage of 2 lovely houses for it...Big Sigh...
I still dream of seeing an Indigo Bunting and have yet to see an Oriole too...Darn!
So, here's another pic...but from wintertime. One of the Harris's Sparrow visitors...Love them! So chubby and cute...LOL

Thumbnail by SusanLouise

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 12, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #7787955

Cute one Susan! Harris are a sweet one.

Tab, Do you have bird feeders out?
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #7790779

pelle, we don't have our feeders out now~~took them in for the summer, but we have plenty of natural stuff for them to eat and we have loads of different birds in the yard. (Well we do have about 6 hummer feeders out and lots of HBs flying around them).

even in autumn and winter when we have all our feeders out and we have unheated and heated birdbaths going we never see birds visiting them.

Maybe it's because one of the neighbors has a great 'water feature' for them and then there is the woods with a stream behind us too. Or maybe this summer when it quits raining and gets hot they will be more interested...

Oh, well, haven't given up yet! j.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7791432

Hi tabasco,
Keep trying your bird baths in different places - near places where the birds hang out, near feeders (when you have them out), by trees & shrubs, etc.

All it takes is one bird to visit one time. Once that happens, others will follow until it becomes part of their daily activities. Just like with bird feeders, once the birds recognize that it's there, it becomes habit. When it stops raining you might try putting that "mister" out for a little while so it sprays over the bird bath.

Good luck & don't give up!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2010
6:02 AM

Post #7791936

I've added this shallow bird bath into a shady corner of the garden. I'm pretty sure the finches have discovered the bb. Haven't caught them in action, only noticed some have came to the feeder soaking wet when there wasn't rainy outside. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2010
6:06 AM

Post #7791943

I meant to say; Pelle, Hack and Susan those pictures of your darling birds in the bb are so so enticing. I hope to have some continuous irrigating system for a bird bath or two by the time the weather heats up.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #7793029

Will keep my hopes up and will move the bird baths around a bit to see which spot might work. That is a nice looking saucer on the ground, Lilylove. Very natural and inviting...

I'm loving everyone's pics too.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #7796357

I have to admit it, the water looks inviting. Notice the drop of water captured by the Sigma 150-500 lens

Hack

This message was edited May 15, 2010 11:19 PM

Thumbnail by TheHackster

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2010
9:21 PM

Post #7796361

Just after the drop hits the surface of the water in the bird bath.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2010
9:21 PM

Post #7796362

All this action attracts the birds.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2010

Post #7796366

This Grackle sure enjoyed it. Caught another water drop is this one, too.

Hack

This message was edited May 15, 2010 11:27 PM

Thumbnail by TheHackster

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2010

Post #7796367

See.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2010
5:07 AM

Post #7796788

Beautiful setting, wonderful photography Hack! Oooooh I love all these bath features!
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 16, 2010
5:48 AM

Post #7796859

Great shots Hack!

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #7797386

Thanks Lily and pelle. I just looked outside and it is getting heavy use, mainly by Grackles, though.

Hack
thebestmissy
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2010
8:44 PM

Post #7809303

My husband finished making our ducbucln-esque fountain today! I hope it will attract at least 1/2 as many birds as duc's:)

Thumbnail by thebestmissy

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 19, 2010
9:04 PM

Post #7809386

Oh Missy he did a great job!!!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 20, 2010
1:59 AM

Post #7809669

That's fantastic.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #7809802

I like that too! Have a ton of fun watching those babies Missy. I stopped short on my tract the other weekend when I was working in the garden. A Titmouse decided to take a bath at the lapping water by the launch ramp as I was moving plants around. I took a break from working and took in the scene. Those little ones do take their bath 'seriously'. lol

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #7810428

Wow, missy, he did a great job on it.!

Hack
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 20, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #7810436

Can you tell us about it? What is the planter filled with?
thebestmissy
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2010
12:09 PM

Post #7811083

Thanks, everyone, I'll let him know that you approve:)

The planter is hollow (water reservoir) and the top is a saucer. I have smooth river rock in it.

I hope to have some bird pics soon. Nothing cuter than a bird taking a bath. With temps reaching the 90's this weekend, I'm thinking I may have some takers on the cool bath.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 20, 2010

Post #7811118

It is beautious thebestmissy! I read your post aloud to my true luv with emphasis on 'husband finished'.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010

Post #7811150

Dahlia, lol. Please do let me know if it works with hubby. I'll try to emphasize 'Husband finished' with some chocolate cake if at all possible. ROFL
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2010
1:16 PM

Post #7811235

Missy, I love your fountain and wish you the best with it! Be sure and keep watch especially in the early morning and late afternoons. Can't wait to see your pictures. Your husband sure did a wonderful job on it.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 20, 2010
1:17 PM

Post #7811239

Missy, Can you put the instructions on here when you have time?
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #7811333

Awesome, Missy - Great job!
Have fun with it!
thebestmissy
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7812179

Thanks again. Pelletory, I'll try to put something together to post.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 21, 2010
4:12 AM

Post #7812755

i have 4 bbs ,and I have a lg. wetland,I watched a finch take a long bath the other day too sweet.and the larger birds love to take a dip in the wetlands. 1 has a pump ,boy pouring water out of a jug,I havent seen this but the DH has seen robins taking showers,someday I will retire too ,and watch the birds !!! I so want MISSYS Water bubbler,thats the next one I will buy,or DH will make me one,he can be soo handy,and creative

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2010
11:09 AM

Post #7813994

This Robin is having a good time in the bird bath. I took this pic with my new Canon 400mm prime lens with a Tamron 1.4x teleconverter attached. AF worked fine. I was about 17 yds from the bath.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #7814120

Fabulous pics. Hack. Your photographs put mine in awe! We're so very blessed to be graced with simple beauty of nature.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2010
12:00 PM

Post #7814129

Thanks, Lily, and I've seen your pics - nothing wrong with them at all.

Hack
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #7814364

Hack, that robin is just adorable. Nice and clear-that new lens is a great fit for you!

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #7814505

Just an amazing pic of the Robin, Hackster! Thanks for posting it.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 21, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #7814652

Incredulously incredible Hack :-) Looking forward to seeing many more of your pics with the new lens !

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #7814736

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Yep, I think the new lens is a keeper.

Hack

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #7817193

Okay here goes, this is my third bird bath. But, the very first one with a fountain. The base is of cast iron for studiness, it serves as a conduit for the water pump & electrical wire hook up underneath the cherub and the turtle that it's riding on. The basin is made of alluminum so it's not so top- heavy. I bought this from a nursery last fall and it's just now got set up. Better late than never. Hope my birds will discover the bath soon.

editted to correct typos.

This message was edited May 22, 2010 1:29 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2010
12:29 PM

Post #7817201

Lily, I love, love, love that fountain and am certain the birds will too!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
12:36 PM

Post #7817231

Duc, thank you. I do hope so. The only draw back, the volume of water is very small. Should it run dry, the pump's motor will be toasted. I'll see about hook up a timer feature to turn it off after so many hours of operation, that may help?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 22, 2010
12:53 PM

Post #7817263

That is such a beautiful one Lily!!! The birds will love it!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
1:02 PM

Post #7817287

Thank you Pelle. I'm pleased to let you know, one of my Titmice has already discovered the fountain!!! I missed capturing a pix though. While stalking my birds coming to the bird bath. I saw a female hummingbird nectaring on my Blue salvia.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 22, 2010
1:04 PM

Post #7817292

Yes I would imagine Titmice,House Finch and Chickadees would be the first to visit something new. Looking forward to your pics later.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #7817499

Great looking fountain, Lily. It ought to draw lots on birds.

Hack
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #7818506

Very pretty, Lily - it sure looks cool & inviting!
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2010
5:49 AM

Post #7819139

LL, your new fountain is wonderful for the birds~~I'm sure they will love it.

thebestmissy, I'm wondering where you found the round water sprayer for your set-up? And is your pot filled with gravel or is there some kind of 'filler' in it and then just 'topped off' with gravel? Looks like something the birds will love.

This weekend we are still in the midst of setting up our bird bath fountain (need to run electricity out to it) and maybe next week I will have some pics...
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2010
5:58 AM

Post #7819159

Lily ,love it,and the birds will love it too.Iam going to get mine set up today.This last yrs photo of 1,this area is still under construction ..!!! as always

Thumbnail by huggergirl

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 23, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #7819179

That is cute hugger! Love those boulders!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2010
6:27 AM

Post #7819224

thanks pelle,funny thing about those boulders,we bought 3 truck loads 32 ttons,the last load was full of boulders and the guy thought it was funny ,we were like thrilled we got like 12 or more,that was 20 yrs ago,we couldnt afford to buy 32 tons now , they are getting hundreds for nice med boulders today.Here is my new BB the photo does not show the detail she is a cutie 15$ for 2 pcs.iam going to paint or stain it ,not the bowl . the bowl is a nice shallow one.

Thumbnail by huggergirl

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 23, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #7819242

Great price hugger and it's very pretty. Be sure to show it to us after you stain it too.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7819256

Pelle thank you,not to worry,I love the sharing that goes on here at Daves !!! =}
thebestmissy
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2010
2:43 PM

Post #7820457

Very nice, Lily_love & huggergirl.

Tabasco, my husband made the round sprayer from copper tubing. It sits in a saucer that fits in the top of a pot that holds water. The saucer is only a couple of inches deep and has a single layer of rocks in it. I'm hoping to have time to sit down and give more detailed information soon.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2010
11:12 AM

Post #7823020

Thanks bestmisssy, for the details. I will start scrounging for a good pot and saucer and I'll have to make do with a store bought sprayer of some sort, I guess, since we are not so clever building things here like your DH...

My new fountain was set up and running yesterday and the birds loved it! And I was thrilled! Then woke up this a.m and saw that the water was milky colored!! Oh, no! So called the fountain installer and cried a bit and he said he'd be right over today to fix it. Apparently the silicone 'glue' didn't dry completely and messed up the water.

Am repainting my old (plastic) fountian today to get it going. You all have inspired me!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #7823780

DOUBLE CONGRATS to you, tabasco - no, make that TRIPLE CONGRATS!!!
It's so exciting to read that the birds love your new fountain. Sorry there was a problem, but it sounds like you got it taken care of. Enjoy all the visitors!!!
Deepwater805
Bajamar
Mexico

September 27, 2010
1:24 AM

Post #8123180

I recently got this solar fountain for the outside sink area on the back deck. Since it matched the blue tile of the counter, and sink area, I just couldn't resist. It has a small battery, so it can keep flowing for a few hours after dark. The birds have discovered it, so it's a bit of a chore to keep it clean, but well worth the effort. The hummingbirds like to flit around the water as it pours from one jar to the next. So far it's been just about my only yard art item. I do have one other solar bird bath, but it only flows when it's sunny. It's amusing to watch the hummers hover over it, and become surprised when their little shadows make the flow stop.

Thumbnail by Deepwater805

Deepwater805
Bajamar
Mexico

September 27, 2010
1:34 AM

Post #8123184

Here's a shot of the instantaneous solar bird bath near the rear corner of the back deck. If there's no sun, there's no fun. As I stated on the above post: when the hummers hover over it their little shadows are enough to either slow down, or even stop the flow. It's a kick to watch their reaction to that. They will actually try to take a shower in it, but it just never works out for them. It's amazing that a creature so small can generate such interest, and attachment. My main goal now, is for the back deck to become as hummingbird friendly as possible.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2010 8:29 PM

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 27, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #8123603

The blue is OUTSTANDING with the tile Deepwater805! That is so cutieputootie about the hummer shadows slowing the fountain.

edit: Welcome to DG :-)

This message was edited Sep 27, 2010 8:45 AM
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

September 27, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #8123686

Hi Deepwater, Welcome to DG and the Bird Watching forum! Love your fountains especially the blue one. It is amazing the hummer shadow stops it. Your back deck is really gorgeous!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2010
11:33 AM

Post #8124021

Ditto to everyone compliment on your garden, DW. Ooooh I'd like to know, how old is that Jade tree in your backyard. A gorgeious specimen!
Deepwater805
Bajamar
Mexico

September 27, 2010
8:36 PM

Post #8125100

Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments. Lily_love, that Jade was there when I moved in, as well as several others through out the yard. They actually pop up everywhere, and I'm forever pulling them up. One has gotten so big that it's branches became too heavily laden to support themselves, and I've had to prune several big branches from it. Anyway, I'm guessing that it's around 10 to 15 years old. Whoever owned the house back then did allot of planting, and most of the garden is very mature. I do allot of pruning, transplanting, and general removing of plants that are too crowded.

I've attached a photo of some hummers at dusk. There are tons of the little guys, and watching them is very entertaining.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2010 8:38 PM

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2010
1:16 PM

Post #8126163

Love your birdbath and new fountain and I was wondering which species of hummers you're seeing there and are you able to see any of them year round? Your flowers are just beautiful too.

Oh, and welcome to Daves Garden!
Deepwater805
Bajamar
Mexico

September 28, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #8126886

Hi ducbucln, Thanks for your warm welcome. We pretty much have the hummers all year, although they do thin out a bit in the winter months. I'm not really sure what species they are. It maybe more then one. My next door neighbor has at least a dozen feeders, and he needs to fill them all about once a week. Between our two houses there are often 20 to 30 hummers feeding and fighting during the summer. I have lot's of flowers, but only two feeders, and they only need refilling about every two to three weeks. This is because there's one particular hummer who has staked out my back deck as his own, and even when he's not feeding, he's guarding. If another hummer tries to feed, there's a confrontation, and a chase scene. He even let's me know when I've strayed too close. Many's the time I felt, and heard him buzzing me right behind my head as I piddle around the deck. I call him Mr. Meany, or His Meaness for short. He has a green throat. I'll try to identify these guys and write back.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #8129191

I forgot all about this thread,deepwater welcome to Daves you have a gorgous yard and garden and Iam assuming your home is just as beautiful,love your water features.I did finish my little birdbath,turned out really well.

Thumbnail by huggergirl

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

September 30, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #8129322

Very nice hugger!
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2010
7:48 AM

Post #8129392

Great job hugger! I'm sure the birds will enjoy it.
Deepwater805
Bajamar
Mexico

September 30, 2010
9:57 PM

Post #8130934

Very nice bird bath hugger. Classic. I'm pretty new to bird baths, and was wondering what the best thing is for algae, and other grimy water stuff. All the products I've looked at eliminate algae through some kind of chemical precipitation, and I'm concerned that it might not be good for the birds. Any thoughts?
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2010
3:23 AM

Post #8131031

deepwater,I use good ole bleach a scrub brush rinse and repeat.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #8131313

I use the same thing as huggergirl.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 1, 2010
10:19 AM

Post #8131677

Ditto
Deepwater805
Bajamar
Mexico

October 1, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #8132466

Thanks everyone. I will give it a try. So far all I've used is elbow grease, and a stiff brush.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2010
5:36 AM

Post #8132810

Soaking will help too,I have a 55 gal aquarium and sometimes the rocks are so covered I think that will never come off it does,with work. = }
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2010
1:10 PM

Post #8133350

I forgot to say that after I put a small amount of bleach in the water, I cover the birdbath with a plastic trash bag so the birds can't get in and leave it that way overnight. Early the next morning I just have to scrub a little bit and rinse it really good.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2010
5:04 AM

Post #8134354

Iam glad you said that duc ,I too cover it while soaking.
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #8139970

Any body have any ideas on what to use in the winter. Something to keep the water from freezing?
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2010
3:22 AM

Post #8140532

They sell bird bath heaters ,if thats what you are wanting.They cost around $25-$30
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2010
12:40 PM

Post #8143099

We use a bird bath heater in one bird bath and we also have a heated bird bath from Best Nest (online source).

We haven't had a lot of action on either during the winter, but others have...

I think the birds really like water movement and our bird bath water is still.
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #8143262

I see the birds in the winter on the deck drinking water as the ice and snow melts so thought something that will keep the ice out of a bird bath might be in order for them. I will check out some places online cause I know there is nowhere close by that sells anything like that. Thanks.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2010
4:29 AM

Post #8144391

growum,Lowes ,Home depot ,wildbirds unlimited,Big R,Tractor Supply,would be likely to carry the heaters ,I want one this year.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2010
5:02 AM

Post #8144426

tabasco,We got a small water feature last year ,we love it,yes the birds love the running water,robins are a hoot in it,and cowbirds.Here is my little water feature

Thumbnail by huggergirl

Deepwater805
Bajamar
Mexico

October 10, 2010
2:56 AM

Post #8147892

Yesterday, I had mucho many hummers feeding. My little camera's digital zoom isn't very clear at it's most extreme range, but you get the idea. Later in the early evening I had six of them trying to feed in four holes. But instead of my camera, I was holding a glass of Chianti Classico. Alas, no photos. Perhaps manana.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

October 10, 2010
2:58 AM

Post #8147893

Nice!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #8148078

Deep ,My hummers are gone ={ Glad you get to enjoy them...you probly have them year round ??
Deepwater805
Bajamar
Mexico

October 10, 2010
8:25 AM

Post #8148229

Hi huggergirl. Yes, we have them pretty much all year. However, I'm not sure if they're the same ones, or if we get different migratory waves, at different times of the year. At any rate this morning I had chaos on the back deck this morning. It was a feeding frenzy swarm. Attached is a photo with nine of the little guys vying for four feed holes. My presence didn't bother them at all, and I routinely got buzzed at very close range. Often feeling their wing wash on the back of my neck while trying to get lucky with a shot.

Deepwater805
Bajamar
Mexico

October 10, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #8148234

Here's a shot with only five. Actually there were so many buzzing in and out, I couldn't really pick the shot, because there's such a time lag with the digital camera. Sometimes there would be ten of them when I pushed the button, but maybe only two a couple seconds later when the shot finally went. It was simply luck, patience, and non stop parade of hummers.

Deepwater805
Bajamar
Mexico

October 10, 2010
8:33 AM

Post #8148236

And another one with six.

Deepwater805
Bajamar
Mexico

October 10, 2010
8:35 AM

Post #8148237

A last shot with a good view of the hummers. One has a red throat, and the others with green. Does anyone have any idea what kind these are?

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #8149084

Wow amazing hummingbird photos! I was just going to ask if they are ruby throat hummingbirds? Are they the ones that were at my house this summer?
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 11, 2010
4:12 AM

Post #8149781

Deep do you get anyother than ruby throats ??? I miss mine already = [
Deepwater805
Bajamar
Mexico

October 11, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #8149945

Hi growum, and huggergirl. This is the first time that I've really tried to take photos of them, so up until now, I haven't been able to see them close up, or in stop motion. All I've been able to make distinction about with the naked eye is size, and it seems to me that sometimes we get ones that are allot bigger than the others. So I'm guessing that these are a different genus. We probably get different types at different times of the year. But we have them pretty much all year round.
Deepwater805
Bajamar
Mexico

October 28, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #8182150

Here's a shot of the last hummer of the evening feeding during a nice sunset.

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 29, 2010
2:44 AM

Post #8182537

Beautiful ..

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8437043

I have such a case of 'Spring fever'. So this weekend to sooth the anz for Spring gardening project. DH helped set up this fountain. I hope with the running water, this will attract more birds to enjoy this along with me. What you all think?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8437105

Small lights within eluminate at night;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

March 20, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8438438

I love that one Lily!
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8438547

It's beautiful Lily. Hope it will attract some of your hummingbirds too!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8439021

Thanks Pelle and Duc, birds aren't quick to discover a new water feature set up especially for them, so I set up the grain feeder nearby, thus far I've noticed a Tufted Titmouse showing some interest. And perhaps a Mockingbird, but so far the bugs in the garden kept them busy else where.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8505976

Please everyone come and join me, share your joy of birdwatching, gardening here on a new thread. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1174319/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America