Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Peonies: What's eating my Peonies?

Communities > Forums > Peonies
bookmark
Forum: PeoniesReplies: 7, Views: 130
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CassysCorner
Salem, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2010
3:06 PM

Post #7761092

Can anyone help me? Something is eating my peonies! Could it be cutworms? Whatever it is, is biting big chunks out of the bud. Argh!

Thumbnail by CassysCorner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #7761473

What is that thing on the bud farthest to the right of the picture? Is that a slug or a snail??

I checked a peony book I have and it says that Flea Beetles can damage the unopened buds. But, I don't have this problem, so I don't know what it is.

Alana, Do you know?

You might send a picture off to the Hollingsworth folks and ask those guys... They would probably know...

Let us know what you find out, ok?

Diann
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

May 3, 2010
8:57 PM

Post #7762184

That does look like a slug. I have had a bright green worm eat on mine but apparently rose chaffers do more damage. What ever was done was some time ago given the dried edges of the cut areas. Nothing to be done now but look at the other plants for damage and hope what ever did the damage is not there next year.
CassysCorner
Salem, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2010
11:51 PM

Post #7762348

No, it's not a slug...not sure exactly what you're looking at, but there are 3 damaged buds in the picture, and you could just be looking at one of the buds. We have tons of slugs here, and I've never seen them on peonies. I don't think they bother them too much.
I have seen some cutworms on them before. Some of the stems were cut clean off! I have a huge problem with them! I'm just trying to confirm if this damage is actually from them - or could it be something else?

I've used a product called Thuricide on them. One nursery said it was an organic, "safe" treatment for cutworms. Anyone heard of this? One of my problems here in W.Oregon is that you have to apply it after rain - which is like EVERY day here, in the spring time.
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

May 4, 2010
1:19 AM

Post #7762386

Cut worms normally cut plants off at the base of the stem. They do not crawl plants to eat buds. They try to eat very soft material.
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

May 4, 2010
1:27 AM

Post #7762389

I looked up your chemical it is a BT that kills caterpillars. Which means it should kill all caterpillars including butterfly and moth ones that we need to pollinate our crops. You can use it if you want but this is really one of my pet peaves having lost a collection of woodland plants that I had rescued.

You should always read and research the chemicals that you use and do not rely on what anyone tells you. You may have to think beyond your use to additional damage that the substance may cause before using it.

Now I will step off my soap box.

I still believe that the damage was done some time ago and doing anything now is a waste of time and effort.
CassysCorner
Salem, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2010
10:56 PM

Post #7774378

I wondered about the caterpillar/butterfly thing, which is why I haven't used that spray a whole lot. Didn't want to kill the good guys. I had done some research on thuricide, and even found it approved on an organic site, but I don't want it to kill the butterflies too. I will look more into that. Thanks for the thoughts - don't even mind the soap box. I have many of mine too. :)

I'll probably just resort back to my old method of wearing my silly headlamp and hand picking off cutworms, after dark. They're so disgusting!
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2010
9:32 PM

Post #7806017

I read somewhere that ants covering peony buds are there to protect the bloom from predators and such. They come for the sugar exuded by the bud and stay for protection. Is it possible your ecosystem is a little off? Are you under a tree that's drips sap, tree stuff and worms?

What we called cutworms I believe were actually Japanese beetle grubs in an earlier stage.

Since I have a lot of trouble with red lily beetles, I use a product used on pets to keep them from biting their treated areas or tails. It is extremely bitter tasting. As a bonus, it is so bitter that none of the predators like it. You can purchase "Bitter Apple," "Bitter Yuck" or "Phooey" (meant for horses). If you use it, wear gloves and a mask because it is in fact very bitter to humans too. Unfortunately it needs to be reapplied when it rains.

I also use a product called a deer repellant, which is made with essential oils and smells of oil of clove. It has an oil base and is diluted with water appropriately or it will burn the leaves. However, it does not rinse off in the rain.

The lilies used to be eaten at the stem, and the sprays seem to help there also.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peonies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fen Dan Bai Tree Peony RDT 10 Oct 4, 2012 12:02 AM
Dividing Peonies garyt 61 Nov 24, 2010 2:32 PM
Peonies and sun or lack of same butterflywi 18 Feb 15, 2011 5:21 AM
looking for peony can trade perennial plants jeaninpgh 5 Oct 7, 2012 3:04 PM
Dried out "cover" on peony buds DonnaMack 28 Jun 8, 2007 12:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America