-
AuthorContent
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #7761802

Tolerance is the only safe method of dealing with garden critters. Levels vary greatly.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2010
3:41 AM

Post #7762471

Very true, that gardener's tolerance is one of the unpredictable variables in the situation. I can't predict how much damage I have based on the number of holes I find, or what they'll eat, either..
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #7762984

My tolerance level for Japanese beetles is practically zero! I'm trying something new this year - Captain Jack's Dead Bug - it's supposed to work great and it's organic.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
5:56 AM

Post #7768832

Anecdotally re Jap beetles, --have you ever grown four o clocks? There's a rumor they are toxic.
I usually have several wild Evening primrose plants and found they seemed a great trap plant. I would have JBs eating on them all the time.
Bear in mind, I have never grown many roses, most years none so I may not have the same kind of temptation for the JBs that others have. And maybe my low level mole problem helped. Thats the problem with these anecdotal reports, conditions can vary.
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #7769200

I love 4 O' clocks! Their aroma...ahhhhh...to die for!! Unfortunately, they don't grow well here in my yardens. At a recent bug talk I gave to a garden club, one lady said she found an old blender at a yard sale, poured soapy water JBs in it, mixed it up, and used that concoction as a lure to trap other JBs!! Bug juice!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Moles, voles, mysterious holes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very useful and informative article! CapeCodGardener 3 Apr 4, 2011 6:40 AM
News to me! Sundownr 2 May 3, 2010 7:42 AM
Thanks for the information! rjones8194 2 Apr 28, 2010 11:34 PM
caster beans ARWadoo 2 May 3, 2010 6:45 PM
moles, voles waplummer 10 May 7, 2010 5:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America