Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Moles, voles, mysterious holes: moles,voles

Communities > Forums > Article: Moles, voles, mysterious holes
bookmark
Forum: Article: Moles, voles, mysterious holesReplies: 1, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
karilynn56
Lambert, MT

May 4, 2010
7:39 AM

Post #7762990

I have a major problem with these critters. I was using the large gas smoke bombs but at $2.00 each it got quite pricey quickly. I purchased a rodenator at over $2000.00 to learn that it could not be used near buildings, power lines, etc which is okay for alot of my yard (10 acres) but not where alot of the infestation is. This spring I noticed alot of dead grass but also tunnels made of grass after all the snow melted. They had stripped all the bark off of the young trees & shrubs and did thousands of $ of damage. I set mouse traps up with peanut butter and got a few that way. I also discovered that they love strawberry poptarts. I now break off a piece and jam it into the trap and have caught quite a few. My dog is an excellent tracker and catcher of these pests but he is also a black lab and does damage of his own among the flowers. We now work as a team in disturbing the leaves and mulch to chase these critters out of hidding. I rake, he catches and kills. We didn't use to have this much problem when we had a lot of cats (17) but unfortunately the owls and coyotes have killed all of the cats and we have none. And so the war goes on...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #7768823

Wow that really is a war! You have the sympathy of many other readers I'm sure. Good luck, and thanks for the Poptart tip.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Moles, voles, mysterious holes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very useful and informative article! CapeCodGardener 3 Apr 4, 2011 6:40 AM
News to me! Sundownr 2 May 3, 2010 7:42 AM
Thanks for the information! rjones8194 2 Apr 28, 2010 11:34 PM
caster beans ARWadoo 2 May 3, 2010 6:45 PM
moles, voles waplummer 10 May 7, 2010 5:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America