Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Stunning Historical Iris: Help identify iris

Communities > Forums > Article: Stunning Historical Iris
bookmark
Forum: Article: Stunning Historical IrisReplies: 2, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
faitani
Decatur, GA

May 4, 2010
9:02 AM

Post #7763202

This came from my mother-in-laws landscape before the estate sold the house. It was probably bought in Kansas in the mid 50's. Then taken to Missouri and finally to Oklahoma where we dug it up and brought it to Georgia. It is very tall.

Thumbnail by faitani
Click the image for an enlarged view.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

July 29, 2010
3:49 AM

Post #8003841

You are right that the historic irises stand the test of time. However many of the irises mentioned are very difficult to find with the exception of 'Wabash and 'Sapphire Hills'. I hope that you have the listing of vendors for the older ones, but irises hybridized in the 1970s or 1980s are a good choice.
DianeEG
Galva, IL

August 3, 2010
11:31 AM

Post #8015749

http://www.oldhousegardens.com has a nice selection of historic irises. Plus, they offer great tips for gardeners interested in preserving or starting historic gardens.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Stunning Historical Iris Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Just Beautiful!! Islandshari 17 Aug 4, 2013 9:36 PM
Iris pgilady 2 Aug 4, 2010 9:14 AM
My historicals inanda 1 Aug 28, 2007 9:40 PM
Historical Iris roseberries 11 May 29, 2008 8:04 PM
Louisiana Yellow Flag Iris won't bloom TXjennywren 1 Aug 9, 2010 6:56 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America