Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Talk: Rubberized mulch

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 18, Views: 188
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jerry22m
Jacksonville, FL

May 5, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7765725

Considering placing rubberized mulch around my home rather than traditional pine bark to prevent termite attraction. Your opinion/suggestions welcomed
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #7772420

I was looking at it both at an exhibition and the sample from a company (few years ago). I really liked the look and really Hated the smell. If you haven't sniffed it, would recommend getting a sample and leaving it in the sun.. Would cypress mulch repell the termites? Or a rock that we used-..Rocky Mountain something.( maybe Bark).haven't seen it lately--but looks like bark, only a bit more rounded.
Good luck.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #7793756

it smells bad and i read an article awhile back that said it contained something from the recycled tires, i wish i could remember what it was, something bad like lead...anyway, it leaches into the soil over time and hurts the plants.

i was always dead set against cypress mulch because it is not a renewable resource but i have to tell you that i used it on a few special plants to try and deter root weevils and now i'm using it on all my garden spaces. it has been a godsend for reducing the weevil population and if you put it on thick, weeds just do not get through it.

i still like the idea of pine bark too. that's what i used for years.
mezoe
Seward, NE
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2010
4:50 AM

Post #7835526

I was just trying to decide what to do with an area that I just cleaned out on the south side of my garage.
It gets about 4 hours of sunlight per day.
It has become a problem area for me.
Reason being: I have 2 (can't remember plants) plants there and an azalea bush.
I had it fenced off but my dogs kept getting in anyway and bent the fence up.
Last night I cleaned it out and marked off the area for border.
I was going to use the rubber to cover the wet news paper I put in last night. Now that I know it smells and leeches lead I don't want to use it.
(right now my plants are covered with large pots so my dogs don't ruin them).
What would help keep the dogs from digging in there?
If I use wood for it they would dig or chew.
I am thinking rocks...about fist size.

Your opinion?

motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #7836567

I think large rocks would work well, esp. if topped by something they don't like..maybe the oil from a lemon peel?
onyxwar
Greeley, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #7896999

A friend of mine uses rubber mulch sheets and after 2 yrs the grass from the surrounding area has grown through it. I was helping her take it out and the grass had a pretty tight hold on it. We salvaged most of it and she weeded and put it back. Also, I don't know if it is the problem, but she lost most of the plants that were closest to the mulch sheets.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2010
12:16 PM

Post #7897152

using only rubber mulch will not deter weeds. you have to either put a barrier down next to it or under it. eventually any organic mulch will decompose enough to let weeds through and the rubber mulch will develop air pockets between the pieces that allow light to get through. no mulch is perfect but i would stay away from rubber. been there; done that; it's no good.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 18, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #7900474

If I have an area that is bordered by plastic or metal edging to define the space I lay down landscape fabric and I use glass mulch. Not one thing has grown on it and nothing 'through' it. The landscape fabric is under it and I don't know how much it contributes to keeping the weeds down in relationship to the glass mulch. It sparks up real pretty in the sun. Hoses off cleanly. Leaves blow off with no problems with glass blowing. Concern was - will it heat up and kill plants? So far so good (some areas have been done for over two years and are in sun.) Got to put the landscape fabric down or glass will likely sink into the ground eventually. Less than 25 dollars for a bucket. I forget now but I think the bucket was 2000 pounds. Got it at the landfill.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #7900786

tell us more! is it like broken windshield glass? i want some!!!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 18, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7901038

Well, the landfill collects bottles for recycling, etc.
The folks there break and tumble the glass (although not 100 percent is perfect and I would not walk on it without shoes) and then sell it. We go to pick up and they give us a big scoop - and I think it is about 2000 pounds (that is what I remember anyway). I will try to take a photo tomorrow - dark now. I wish I could buy a single color - but it is all the glass mixed. If I were to pick a major color - it is green but there is yellow,clear, blue etc. all in it. The size is ... maybe the size of a green pea.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 18, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #7901051

We also get compost - it just went up in price. 28 dollars a load. It is beautiful stuff... crumbly and really really nice.

I have a Mazda pickup and to let you know how much glass we get for the one price, the glass comes up to the top of the truck's bed...full in the back and maybe slanting a tad toward the part where the gate is.

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 18, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #7901079

I found a photo. But no sun on it so you can't see the spark. Was really trying to get a shot of the bowling ball. This looks like a lot of green and it mostly is green but in reality you can see the blues and whites and to a lesser extent some yellows when the sun hits it.

Thumbnail by missingrosie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #7901085

omg, that is exactly what i've been looking for for my garden paths. i either need to call our landfill or make a trip to NC!

yes, i want a picture...just to really get me jealous! lol
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 18, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #7901130

I just like it because it is so cheap!! I looked on the NET to purchase one color (wanted a dry bed stream with blue...) and the bags were a fortune and that didn't include shipping. Of course these were perfect, smooth, glass nuggets --I think 25 pounds too. So, not practical.

This stuff is forever, but like I said you have to have something under it that will let water pass through and yet provide a good barrier so you don't let the glass through. When you first get it because it has been broken and tumbled, it is covered with glass 'sand' and so looks dull. After you lay it down, it needs to be hosed. All the sand goes away and it just lays there sparkling. I have never had one weed pop up in it and you can see by the photo the weeds are in the mulch. I did have a failure with it. I put it under the gutter outport .. you know those cement things you can get to break up the flow coming out of the gutter so that it doesn't make a rut... Well I figured I'd stick some glass on top of those... and the rain pouring off the steep metal roof was too much and it all disappeared. I should have figured that out.

The landfill also sells mulch and has some 'red' mulch and it is clean too. But that is expensive 17 yards for 200 dollars. It makes a huge mountain tho and it seems to last for a long time and goes a long way. Extra to have it delivered (20 bucks) and I don't think the landfill will deliver beyond a certain mileage.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2010
8:45 PM

Post #7901654

Calling my recycling place next week...lovely!!!!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 18, 2010
8:54 PM

Post #7901674

From the moon --- we will look like one big sparkle!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2010
4:52 AM

Post #7901988

thank you SO much. i have been looking for a way to incorporate glass into my garden...never thought of calling my recycling center/landfill. online is SO expensive.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 19, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #7902282

Have you thought about a bottle tree? Placed in the sun can be spectacular and if you hang the bottles correctly ----can scare the ghosties away...woooooooooooooooo wooooooooooooooo

I took a little of that mulch and added it to the bottom of a blue birdbath and it looks great --- but it isn't fun to clean out. Can't clean it actually (I tried...washing small glass bits ain't easy on the kitchen drain.) But it's inexpensive enought to just chuck the glass and replace new come springtime.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2010
7:52 PM

Post #7982088

My friend wanted me to put this in.
I learned sometime back that dumping and spreading is much easier than gathering and removing.
This rubber stuff is great for playgrounds to cushion falls, but not for my beds.
Sidney

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America