SOLVED: What is this bamboo-looking plant?

Mansfield, OH

I have a bamboo-looking plant that came up this spring, and I have no idea what it is! It has 2 green shoots which have grown to almost 4 feet tall in 3 weeks, and they have "rings" similar to those of bamboo. When the leaves first started to emerge, they were pink in color which later turned to light green and are darkening, and they have pinkish-red stems. I don't think it's bamboo as I live in Ohio and the leaves don't look the same as the bamboo I've seen. Please help!!

Thumbnail by Mandimay24
Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Fallopia japonica:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/32028/

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, Japanese Knotweed Fallopia japonica. A dreadful invasive weed.

Resin

Piscataway, NJ

Shoots are edible and taste like rhubarb, even better. Warning : just like rhubarb it is high is oxalates; eating lot of eat causes kidney stones.

Some towns iin the U.S. do a knotweed festival to eat them, however it is knot enough to elimate this weed.
It is of the 10 (or so) worse invasive plants in the world. I am in Europe right now; this is as bad as in North America.

You are right, it is a reminder of bamboo, esp. in winter. Some of its common names include "bamboo" in several languages.

This message was edited May 6, 2010 5:09 AM

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Just a +1 on the ID. I have variegated form of this one, but as stated, it's highly invasive. Mine stays potted with the drainage hole plugged so the roots can't escape.

Piscataway, NJ

This plant is incredible; it can go through the thinest cracks and come out through concrete, tartop, anything.

It does not like salt, even seawater spray; it likes proximity of water, but not flooding.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.