Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Battling Blackspot: Neem and Beneficial Insects

Communities > Forums > Article: Battling Blackspot
bookmark
Forum: Article: Battling BlackspotReplies: 2, Views: 153
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2010
11:13 AM

Post #7766623

Hi all,

As the author of this article, I'd like to offer an asterisk to my advice about using Neem oil, since furthur research has resulted in some assertions that it may adversely affect bees and ladybugs.

However, because it is an oil-based spray, you should use it in the early morning or at dusk anyway to avoid burning plants. So, to be safe, just make sure the bees and other active beneficials aren't around when you use it - dusk is my preferred time for application.
fjmassa
Warren, PA

May 10, 2010
5:03 AM

Post #7779518

Although not the most pleasant stuff to use,I've had real good luck with lime sulfer spray to keep blackspot at a minimum. Using it in the early spring to saturate the beds,and a week later to the canes and plant with addition to horticultural oil,it will kill a lot of the spores causing blackspot. Can also be applied periodcally through the summer.Do not apply during very warm days.Anything much above 70 degrees will risk buring plants.

I lke to apply with a trombone sprayer and a big 5 gallon pail filled with the lime sulfer concentrate and water.The product I use is made by Bonide.
SueR52
Cleveland, OH

May 11, 2010
4:42 AM

Post #7782668

I have suffered with black spot each year, losing a wonderful Mr. Lincoln last year. I got lucky coming upon this website and reading that you should always water roses in the a.m. I had been watering my roses late at night. Now with this add information, I will go out and buy the Neem. This information is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Battling Blackspot Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
roses kNIERIM 1 May 5, 2010 11:16 AM
Isn't Harmful? tcfromky 0 May 10, 2010 6:48 AM
Neem maggiecowgirl 0 May 10, 2010 8:16 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America