Thumbnail by slcdms
Click the image for an enlarged view.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 5, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #7767056

Ruth shared this fern last year, anyone know it's name?

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 5, 2010
1:58 PM

Post #7767057

Charlotte gave me this painted fern last fall

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 5, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7767061

my lady in red from Kathy Ann

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 5, 2010
2:03 PM

Post #7767068

I could go on and on with plants from my friends, Loretta, shadowgirl, gave me the rose I can't say, Bonnie gave me the amsonia, Cindy gave me the byzantine glads,
Terrye gave me this stained glass hosta, and lost hers, we are hoping this one will grow some babies soon, so I can give back !

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 5, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #7767073

Wild honeysuckle that God gave me--lol--it is at the back of the yard and smells so good.

Thumbnail by slcdms

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #7767241

Sandra your Lady in Red Hydrangea is really growing. I need to take mine out of the small clay pot it is in and get it in the ground. On the to do list. I plan to spend all day Sat. and Sun afternoon in the yard!

Kim I got the Liger iris from one of several places. Could have been the Snowpeak iris coop, elizabethtown in Dave's classified and from one other person on classified that I can't think of at the time. It it big enough that I can give you a piece. I will give you a piece this fall - don't forget to remind me.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 5, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #7767249

I have had mine for a couple of years now, Kathy Ann gave it to me when we went to her house, Kathy Ann--how long has it been now--it is so much fun there, everything is beautiful. I know it was before the greenhouse burned, but my mind is bad !
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7767319

Who knows Sandra, my mind is worse than yours LOL

This is the second winter the greenhouse is gone.

You should come with Terrye to the garden party at my house on the 5th.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 5, 2010
3:52 PM

Post #7767336

I am reading the thread, I don't know if Terrye has seen it or not, she is planning her trip to see her sis in Chicago on Memorial Day-
You know I would love to come, but it AGAIN will probably depend on my back. I am still having lots of pain with it. I hate not being able to do things I want to do, I worked outside for a little while yesterday and really got it stirred up--by night, every step I took caused pain. It is some better today, not much though.
We had such a good time at your house, I will be crying in my soup if I miss it, just like I will be crying when Jeri's comes too--
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
4:23 PM

Post #7767398

i'm upset about not getting to go to Jeri's too.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 5, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #7767417

We will have to keep each other company while they are all having fun.
I have been to Jeri's twice and both times were great.
When your in pain, there is not much fun though
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7767440

I know, I hate that your having so much back trouble, what can they do about it?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
5:00 PM

Post #7767479

Here's some more peonies Marilyn, they won't be blooming on the 5th, but they are huge now.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7767482

a pink one in with the whites

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7767484

Another pretty pink one

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #7767486

more peonies

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
5:03 PM

Post #7767490

A lovely snake NOT

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
5:04 PM

Post #7767491

Love this iris

Sultan's palace

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
5:05 PM

Post #7767494

Akebias and blue muffin viburnum

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
5:05 PM

Post #7767495

Salvia snow hill,

hope I didn't post this one already

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 5, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #7767535

I love the peonies, looks like all the rain did not bother them too much.
I have not had an MRI yet, I am trying to hold off for a while yet, sometimes it will heal on its on, given time.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
5:26 PM

Post #7767548

They were pretty much still in bud when the rains came, I think we're suppose to get more rains soon.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 5, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #7767741

Loving all the pics! I'm putting my hands up on the iris, too. Not many though!

Sandra, the kittens are so sweet. makes me want one ... but not for long! lol I'll come play with yours.
I'd love to go to KAs but Kelley has asked me about possibly keeping the boys that weekend so I'll have to wait and see.
My iris are on the ground too. I have a few still standing. I meant to do some trimming today but had to work in the shop.

sandra, I fuss about the honeysuckle vine all the time when I'm having to pull it up out of flowerbeds, but when it blooms nothing smells better.

Terrye

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7767920

Like those peonies!

Don't like snakes, but he's a good one!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #7768022

Gorgeous peonies, Kathy Ann, and all the other flowers, too. Yours are too, Sandra. I think I commented on both your photo albums on Facebook.

I put some impatiens out in the new shade bed the other day and laid down some stepping stones in it yesterday. Today I cleaned out behind the shed, so that area is ready for some EE's. (Did I say this on the previous thread? I forget what I have posted where because I am posting on several threads on both DG and Cubits! LOL)

Here's a view of the new shade bed with the impatiens in it. Everything you have given me for that bed, Charlotte, is doing very well except for the fern. It looks a little sad--don't know what is wrong with it. Did I tell y'all that some critter ate my American Spikenard right down to the nub?!!!! GRRRRRR That was the most expensive plant I bought at Pine Ridge Gardens in March and it was growing good--at least a foot tall and then something ate it! The nerve!

This message was edited May 6, 2010 11:07 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #7768036

This is another view of the new shade bed looking down behind the shed. This was taken before I raked up the leaves back there but you can't really see them in this photo anyway.

Thumbnail by marsue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7768045

Marilyn your shade garden looks really good!!!

I haven't been able to play in the garden much this week. No fun!! I'm planning to do nothing Sat and Sun afternoon but work in the garden. May have to fit a little housework in also. This place is beginning to look like it needs to be condemned!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #7768087

Thanks, Charlotte! I came by most of the plants in there courtesy of you!
I doubt that your house needs to be condemned! LOL You should see the dust on my coffee table right now. I have spent most of my time outside the last month and housekeeping has come in way down on the bottom of my list of things to do.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #7768114

It's not just the dust on the table tops but the dust bunnies, dirt and pine needles on the floor!!! With two adults and two shaggy dogs running in and out the back door all day, it's amazing the junk we can bring into the house. Not to mention the dirty laundry - the fact that all my summer clothes are now in one big pile on the bed in a guest bedroom and the closet is a wreck from me starting to take out the winter stuff and store. Makes for quite a challenge when I get dressed every day!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #7768773

LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 6, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #7768936

It is a hard and fast rule that only emergency housekeeping be done in the spring ! We have all winter and the hottest part of summer to do all those things-now it is play time !
We all must follow the rules on this forum--no rule breaking allowed !

Even those of us who don't feel like working can still make pictures and post them and find various other ways to "play" and not break the rules here !

Marilyn, your shade garden is going to be beautiful, it looks pretty already and when it get to growing, you are really going to enjoy it.
I have several scapes on the daylilies now. I am hoping they will get taller than the weeds, so i can get some good pictures of them.

Terrye, I remember you telling me about Kelley needing you to baby sit, I am probably not going to be able to go anyway (back) so don't change your plans because of me.
A couple of years ago, we were on the go so much that Amanda accused me of having to make an appointment to see me-LOL, I know Kelley is feeling the same way!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #7768951

Sandra there is not any danger of me breaking the rules!!! I do have to get the clothes off the bed before June 13! My grandson is coming then and will expect to be able to sleep in the bed that is now piled high with clothes!!!LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2010
9:05 AM

Post #7769334

Nothing like company coming to give you an incentive to get things done! LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2010
9:10 AM

Post #7769351

This is Mead's Strain amaryllis. Kelli from CA on the weather thread sent me this last year. I sent her one of my St. Joseph's Lilies.
Some kind of critter ate a hole in one of the other blooms on Mead's Strain, which stunted it. :o((

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2010
9:12 AM

Post #7769355

this is St. Joseph's Lily

Thumbnail by marsue

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 6, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #7769379

All the flowers are beautiful. Are all the byzatine glads the same color?? I had spotted some at an old homeplace on my road and I wondered if it was the byzatine - now that I have seen Sandra's picks, I am almost certain that is what they are...

Would it be ok for me to dig some of the bulbs now? Or should I try to mark them and wait until Fall??? I am not sure if anyone mows the yard there but they are just out in the yard so if I mark them and they mow over it I will never find them...

They sure are stunning. Are they ok in full sun??

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 6, 2010
9:59 AM

Post #7769445

Cindy is the bulb expert--but I think I would dig and pot now, while I was seeing them, don't get arrested !!! I think there is only one color, my pictures look different as one of them by tea cup, gets almost full sun and the other is in half day shade. Soil condition affects bloom color as I showed last year with the verbena blooms.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 6, 2010
2:41 PM

Post #7770103

This was my lovely little surprise when I walked out on the deck this morning. This is one of my pots from the weekend at Rita's. I'm didn't see what dug into it. My cats have never dug in my pots before. I had fertilized with fish emulsion yesterday. ray thinks it might have been a raccoon.

Terrye

Thumbnail by tryliv

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
3:13 PM

Post #7770163

It was a COON! Those rats with cute tails were looking for that fish! So sorry, Terrye!

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 6, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #7770221

Sorry about your pot Sandra... that fish fertilizer does have a strong smell...guess they wondered where you hid it!

How long do the byzantine glads blooms last??? I am wondering if someone has already beat me to them. I just saw them a couple of days ago and I didn't see a SIGN of them this afternoon when I came by!!! There were two different clumps and I find it almost impossible to believe that ALL the blooms would be gone that fast...?????

I wasn't planning on digging them all - just getting a start. Guess I will have to stop and look closer...

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7770241

Marilyn I really like those lillies!!

Terrye that terrible! I have never used any of the fish emulsion and don't think I'll buy any!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 6, 2010
3:51 PM

Post #7770248

Oh sorry- misread... Terrye - sorry about your pot !!

Guess I need to get glasses!!
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 6, 2010
4:20 PM

Post #7770330

Thanks! I think the plants will be okay. Just a little stunned. lol

It does have a strong smell. I like it for my containers though but not if this keeps happening. Ray told me I could put the pots in the sunroom the night that I fertilized. I just laughed. He didn't realize I treated ALL my pots. I'll go back to Miracle Gro.

UPS just played Santa Claus, Got an order in from Donahue's. Yeah! Got to go unpack and water.

Terrye
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #7770368

Boy that's aggrivating, that racoon, terrorized that pot didn't he LOL
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
4:41 PM

Post #7770392

oooooh, we want to see you arrivals, Terrye!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7770401

I just got a box in today also from almostedenplants.com I bought one of their pondarosa lemons and variegated eureka lemon . Now I'll have lemons like Bonnie!! which by the way Bonnie, I cut them up and made lemonaid with them except the green one, it's still green
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
4:46 PM

Post #7770413

Very nice!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 6, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #7770440

Genna, I was laughing when I read your post, being sorry about my pot--I did not tell ityet, but that pretty little blue flower I was so proud of died after that storm, I went out Monday morning and it was just laid over flat as a flitter. I guess it steamed or something after all the rain. I got one for Mamma too and hers is in her bed and still alive. So I accept your "sorry" --LOL

Terrye, Ray just thinks up the easy solution--move 50 pots into the sun room for the night--right !!

Genna, the glads open from the bottom to the top, I am thinking at least a week of blooms, but not much more than that, but they are worth it, so pretty
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 6, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #7770491

Ray doesn't have to move those pots either! lol

KA, those lemons blossoms had the most wonderful scent and the lemons too.

My clematises came in. I can blame this one on Bonnie. I had to have Elsa Spath and got to looking at the pictures and before I knew it I had ordered 4 more. Now how did that happen...

terrye
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #7770494

I know Terrye, even the leaves smelled fabulous, I can't wait for mine to grow up, maybe i need to put it in a big bucket now ;0) it was a nice sized lemon for 12.99 it's about 20 in ches tall
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 6, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7770501

Sounds like a great buy. Knowing you,KA, you'll have grown 20 more from cuttings this time next year! lol

Terrye

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 6, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #7770623

What other clematis did you get Terrye?
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 6, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #7770666

Along with Elsa Spath, I got Bourbon, Rebecca, Pink Champagne, and Guernsey Cream. I love them. Mine were so pretty this year, I've got the fever right now. I bought two at Homestead when we were there.

Terrye

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7770669

My lemon tree made it through the winter and is getting a lot of buds on it. This will be the 3rd summer I've had it. I got mine at the nursery next to Good Earth at 75% off. Thought I would give it a shot at that price and so far it has made it and has produced lemons.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7770676

I bought bourbon this year too Terrye.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 6, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7770679

I took this pic last week but just now getting it posted. I missed this azeleas' prime, but it is still blooming. I just LOVE how the blooms resemble roses as they are opening...

Well, Sandra, guess I just had esp or something! LOL I didn't get a chance to go back and see if someone had dug them. SURELY the stalk would still be there - I just couldn't see ANYTHING where I thought they had been!! I will have to go look tomorrow...

genna

Thumbnail by gen2026

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 6, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7770707

Bourbon is pretty. I'm anxious to see that redcolor in person.

Are the lemons easy to winter over?

Terrye
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7770713

Blue Bird
Ernest Markham
Tangutica Yellow
violet elizabeth
carnaby

I just got all these clematis in and got them planted today but they are small plants. I got them from woodthrush's coop.

I really wanted that bees jubilee

I also got two of the tangerine beauty crossvine

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7770733

I have tangerine trees and a key lime and figs that are in huge pots, and they over winter in the garage , I did loose one of the tangerines this past winter cause I didn't water it enough.

but they produce tangerines in the garage during the winter time. Once my mailman tried to collect himself a tangerine while he was delivering a package, I walked out when he was about to snatch it. I told him he could have a couple. I should have slapped his hands LOL Lemons should do fine there too.

I did have a miracle fruit tree in the garage adn lost it ,
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 6, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #7770750

They had Bee's Jubilee at Goodwins. I started to get it since I had it on my want list. It favors Nelly Moser a lot so I held off on that one since I have Nelly in 2-3 places.
Carnaby is a pretty one!

Terrye

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #7770751

They seem to be pretty easy. I have two mini greenhouses and I mean mini. They are each about 3 feet by about 4 and half feet. I use large outdoor halogen lights to heat them. They have survived 2 winters in there without any problem. Didn't even lose any leaves.
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

May 6, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7770942

Today must have been Santa Day because I also got a box with some ears I had forgotten I had ordered. Now I think I also need to look at getting some more clematis. We went to Goodwins and 3 other places today, but did not get much.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
8:10 PM

Post #7770967

Isn't it fun getting those boxes you've forgotten about!!!
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7772961

I got a box yesterday too. Woohoo.
Ok - KA and Terrye - quit blaming me for your bad spending habits !! lol :-) Your DH's won't let you come back over.

That poor lemon tree of mine. The first year I had it, I had to chop all the top off of it because it dropped so many leaves. (it WAS 9ft tall)
2nd year - it dropped more leaves and looks even more pitiful. However - she is really blooming right now. Because it is sooooo big - there isn't a big enough pot to put it in, so it requires an extreme amount of watering. That is the only thing I could come up with as to why the leaves drop so bad in the winter.

Can't wait til tomorrow. KA and Kim are out being bad today and tomorrow - me, Kenny & Jim are gonna get out and be bad.

Funny Terrye - you and I have such similar taste. I just added most of those clematis' this year too. And I actually think mine came from Donnahue's too - and Simply Clematis.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
2:14 PM

Post #7772998

Bonnie mine is not nearly that tall! Mine is about 3 ft tall. It does dry out quick. I need to repot mine this year. I think it is totally root bound and if I put it in a bigger pot I bet it will grow better and not dry out as quick.
My little greenhouses stay really humid during the winter because it doesn't have any kind of vent and I keep it shut tight to make sure I don't lose any heat. I have several things that I have decided like those conditions. I had a tropical fern (variegated leaf) that I have been putting in the little greenhouse and when I would bring it out in the spring it didn't look much different than when I put it in. But this year I decided to put it in the storage room in the garage. The room has a window and I kept it heated all winter. I kept a thermostat in the room to keep track of the temperature. That fern dried up deader than a door nail half way through the winter. I also kept it watered.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 7, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #7773049

Bonnie, I have to find something to blame it on. Otherwise I won't have an excuse! lol
You know Ray knows who to blame. He just shakes his head at me. He also has no idea how much I spend and we are going to keep it that way! But I have dialed it back this year.

I said I am not getting anything that has to be wintered over but that lemon tree is very tempting just for the smell. Does it bloom off and on all summer or is it a one time thing in the spring?

Simply Clems has some nice ones too. After I got mine in the ground this morning I walked around seeing where I could put a few more. I'm still saving a place for the big O. We'll find it someday.

Terrye
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

May 7, 2010
3:01 PM

Post #7773107

Bonnie and Terrye you still have a few weeks to find a way to get the Big O to me will I'm in Canada. I will do my best to get by the border patrol. LOL I'm sure we will have a trunk load of cuttings from Butchart Gardens anyway.
Can't wait till tomorrow Bonnie. I am off to pot you up a few things.

Thumbnail by obbirds

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #7773133

I did not get a box yesterday :o( But, I will next week ;o)
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #7773543

Here's some of my hollyhocks, their not quite as tall as marilyn's

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #7773546

Penstemon violet dusk

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #7773547

some garden pics,

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010

Post #7773549

Penstemon War Axe or ax not sure, i think it's axe

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #7773551

The back flower garden

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #7773552

Screamin yellow baptisia

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #7773554

Snow hill salvia, I love this stuff

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7773556

more of the full sun garden

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7773560

diff view

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7773563

part of the back yard garden, this area get some sun

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #7773566

Right behind the house area,

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010

Post #7773568

IN front of the house, mostly shade

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010

Post #7773571

Some hostas in the back yard

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #7773574

I"m starting to fill up the new flower bed.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7773588

Is the full sun bed where the GH used to be? Lovely gardens! I cannot wait to see all of it!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #7773594

Yes, most of those pics are of the back full sun area, where the GH use to be. I hope my poppies make it through the next storm . I need to go check the weather. my veggie garden is sure liking the rain

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #7773597

another view of the garden

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7773719

Here's my President Clematis today. I love this new trellis thingy - what do you call those? anyway this one looks great this year

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
6:35 PM

Post #7773731

and here are my planter boxes with the Silver Tidal Wave Petunias I got at the LR MG sale - these are for sure gonna be grand in a few weeks.

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7773737

and a close up of the flower

Thumbnail by kjuddy

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7773746

It is all looking really pretty Kathy Ann! What did you buy today?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #7773753

Karen I like your president's clematis. Not sure what you call the trellis thingy but I like those too!
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 7, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7773811

KA, your flower beds are fantastic. I'd love to see them in person.

Terrye
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #7773841

Everything is looking great, Kathy Ann! and Karen, at your place, too! Is that trellis thingie an obelisk? sort of like the one in this link?

http://www.simplytrellises.com/garden-trellises/obelisk-trellis/eiffeltrellagetowerinmatteblack.cfm
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 7, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7773953

Kathy Ann - your flowers are beautiful! I love both of those penstemon and the screaming yellow baptisia! The snow hill looks nice too... you have so many beautiful beds! It is really pretty.

Karen those petunias will be something in a few weeks. Beautiful blooms. I love the clematis. I planted a 3 a few weeks ago but they don't look like they have grown ANY!!!

Genna
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
3:39 AM

Post #7774470

Marilyn thanks for the name - I knew they had one and yes that is what they look like except of course they look cheaper:) I'll have to use that name obelisk in a sentence every day so I can remember it.

Genna I know I loved those - I got them at the MG plant sale for $1 each - right now I am trying to figure out why oh why I only bought 4 of them. Those clematis will be growing like crazy before you know it. Have you read that it is best to bury them deep in the ground (if they are sprouted - not the bare rooted ones). I covered this one last year with about six inches of dirt and I can tell a tremendous difference this year - plus I cut ths one back to the ground even though it supposedly blooms on old and new wood but it didn't seem to mind the hard pruning so we'll see.

Here's a picture of my sweetspire - I had never heard of this bush but it was on clearance last year so can a clearance bush really be bad? It supposedly will take full sun to full shade and gets pretty big - I kinda like the way it looks in bloom so we'll see how it looks as time goes by.

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
3:40 AM

Post #7774471

Here's the actual bloom - they are just beginning to open

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
3:43 AM

Post #7774472

Here's my new solar flare spirea blooming

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
3:49 AM

Post #7774474

And here's one of my clearance columbines which I thought were done blooming but what a surprise for me!! I added 14 columbines to my beds this spring and I winter sowed some so there are about 6-8 of those - NEXT spring should be awesome for the columbine. My woodside gold KA gave me still hasn't bloomed but it is getting really big. KA have yours bloomed already?

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
4:16 AM

Post #7774512

mine are blooming now
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 8, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #7774594

I need to start adding some columbines - I think they are so beautiful. I admired them so much the two summers we spent in Colorado... I didn't think they would survive here. Do you have yours in a shade bed?? I have a small shade bed started - guess I need to add that to my want list to put in there!

Genna
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #7774614

Terrye I hope you get to come in June,

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7774735

Karen I found some really good deals on some things at the MG plant sell this year too. I found a nice size hardy begonia for 2.00. There were 2 of them and I was going to get the other one but a lady that was not an MG and you could tell knew nothing about plants saw me pick it up and picked up the other one before I could get it. (I had plants in my other hand) She asked one of the ladies working what it was and she ended up keeping it. I wanted it!! I got a really nice size sango palm for 5.00 and it is already putting on new fronds.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #7775072

Thanks KA for the tour. Your yard is amazing, but I bet it is even more beautiful in person. Sometimes it is hard to capture just how pretty areas are.

Karen - you really have a green thumb - if you can bring the dead back to life like that. All of your stuff is very pretty and so healthy.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 8, 2010
3:08 PM

Post #7775790

Here is Gunny's rose in its first flush, it is showing out for Mother's Day.

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 8, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #7775792

Pretty verbena

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 8, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #7775793

My yellow primrose is beautiful this time too

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 8, 2010
3:11 PM

Post #7775798

Yellow ice plant starting to bloom

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 8, 2010

Post #7775803

Marilyn, my ditch daisies are starting to bloom now, here is a picture of some on the bank that I have pulled up and thrown out of the roadside bed.

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 8, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #7775808

Close up of ditch daisy
If someone should know the proper name for these, I would like to have it, we see them all along the roadsides here

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 8, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #7775811

My first lily of the season

Thumbnail by slcdms

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
7:48 PM

Post #7776489

Pretty lily! I like those ditch daisies what ever they are!
I worked in the yard all day today. I finally got everything planted in the back. I got all the azaleas pruned, but I still have a bunch of holly I need to prune. I have to get the holly pruned this week, if I don't it will get totally out of hand! I still have a lot of just picking up and cleaning to do in the back. I didn't do anything in the front. Need to work on it next. I don't have as much to do in the front so I'm trying to get the back all done first. Will send pictures when I get through
I have several scrapes on lilies so hopefully I will start having blooms soon.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 8, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7776525

I have lots of scapes on the daylilies too--last year I had an extra early one that was blooming the first Sunday in May, but it is later this time.
I can't wait until they get started blooming
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7778669

Sandra, my daylilies are ramping up too. Can't wait. Have really enjoyed my roses this year, for the first time ever !

Perle D'or (sp?)

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
6:02 PM

Post #7778671

Heritage

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #7778674

Carefree Delight

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #7778675

Coral Carpet

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #7778685

clematis - florida sieboldii (sp?)- too lazy to look up the spelling.

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #7778693

iris - Berit Straun

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #7778698

iris - Fredrick Douglas (very rich in color)

Thumbnail by n2birds

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #7778731

Love your roses Bonnie!
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #7778759

Thank you Charlotte. My mom was just over for Mother's Day and was amazed with them this year. I couldn't have told you before that I even had any, because they never did a thing for me. I think it is the tea roses that don't like me that well. I only have 1 of them left, I think.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7778774

Is Carefree a climbing rose? I visited a garden last Friday that was just fabulous. She lives on acreage and has used a lot of knock out roses for color. She groups a bunch together. She also had a really pretty rose that looked a lot like carefree growing on a arbor.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 10, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #7779677

Sandra, you already have a lily! I haven't even seen a scape yet except on my Stellas.

Bonnie, I've enjoyed my roses this year too. I am not good with roses so I go for the ones that need less care. Sometimes it's still hit or miss with them. Even the Knockouts. My double reds look great and then my Rainbow looks pitiful. Go figure...

Love that clematis. MY little digger that got in the pot th eother day also dug up two of my clematis and a new varigated iris I had put out. Now I'm wondering if it may be an armadillo. Whatever it is I may have Ray sitting up with the shotgun if it keeps it up... lol

Terrye
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7779719

I can't believe that Terrye. Maybe try mothballs ? Wonder if deer scram would help. I could send you a packet of it if you want to try it.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #7780005

Beautiful roses, Bonnie. All I have are knockouts and they have been blooming great.

I just posted on the chat thread cause I couldn't remember where somebody asked about 'Ditch Daisies'. My wildflower book says they are 'Oxeye Daisies'.

We were driving out of the driveway yesterday afternoon and saw a covey of baby quail scooting across the grass. They were so cute!

Got lots of buds on daylilies but no blooms yet.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 10, 2010
9:17 AM

Post #7780284

I may get some mothballs. Do you put them in the dirt or just scatter them on top?
Terrye

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 10, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #7780294

The lily is a lillium lily--an oriental I think Terrye, not a daylily, but I have scapes everywhere.

So the ditch daisy is an oxeye? thanks for that Elaine
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #7780375

Beautiful blooms, Karen, Kathy Ann, Sandra, Bonnie! Spring has definitely arrived! :o))

I took some photos of the latest blooms in my garden on Friday. I'm just now posting because I went to my daughter's this week-end--had a lovely time!

This is Europeana.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2010
9:48 AM

Post #7780388

This is Belinda's Dream. Kathy Ann gave me this rose.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #7780391

Red Hot Poker torch lily with Friday between the petunias :o))

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2010
9:51 AM

Post #7780401

a view of the rose bed with the hummingbird/butterfly bed in the background

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2010
9:52 AM

Post #7780406

My Gunny's rose is not as big as Sandra's but she is still putting on a show! :o))

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2010
9:58 AM

Post #7780431

Electron

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2010
10:00 AM

Post #7780437

New Dawn climbing rose which Kathy Ann gave me.

Thumbnail by marsue

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 10, 2010
10:05 AM

Post #7780450

Everyone has beautiful flowers--I am so glad some of you are enjoying Gunny's rose.
They had to move from the old home place where we were raised when the termites took it over,Mamma and Gunny and Granddaddy all went in together and bought the house where Mamma lives now. Of all the flowers that Gunny had, altheas, verbena, roses, brides wreath, iris--this is the only one she dug up and took to the new house.
It was her favorite, since it is a monthly rose, so she chose it from all her flowers to take.
I will take cuttings again in Nov--- God willing-- and try to root and spread more of them about.
Jerry cut a bouquet and took to his Mother yesterday and it was so pretty, he had all Gunny's roses and one red Mr. Lincoln in the center for her. He said she loved it.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2010
10:07 AM

Post #7780455

This "container" is a door prize which I won at Debra's RU in May, 2008. Cathy (catspower) brought it to the RU. I brought it home and put it on a shelf in the garage and forgot about it. I found it recently and decided to get it out. I put some matting stuff in the bottom to hold dirt and then put impatiens in it and hung it on a limb on a tree in the new shade garden. When the flowers start growing and spilling out over the basket, I think it will look really pretty!

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #7780467

We crossed, Sandra. That was very sweet of Jerry to make a bouquet for his mother and I am sure it was beautiful with the roses from Gunny's rose and the one Mr. Lincoln in the center!
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #7782824

Wow Marilyn - your yard pictures continually amaze me of how much they have grown and filled in. Just beautiful and love all your roses. Really LOVE that door prize you got. Wonder where she got that at.

Terrye - I would think just dropping the moth balls around the plants in the pots and/or beds would be enough.

My poor Gunny's rose has been moved so many times trying to keep her protected that she has had such a slow start. Seems everytime I move her, she goes into shock and has to recover so badly.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #7782959

Thanks, Bonnie! Cathy told us she made that door prize. It would have taken some work to do it but it could have been done by soaking the vines, getting them soft and then weaving them into that shape. Years ago(many years ago) when I was in Girl Scouts, that is the way we made baskets for one of our badges. Of course the material we used was much thinner and easier to work with.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2010
7:04 AM

Post #7782995

That is a great basket!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 11, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #7783018

Marilyn - I would never have known what to do with that basket - but it is really pretty!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7783072

Thanks, y'all. I didn't know what to do with it, either, for a long time but after I made my new shade bed, I had the perfect place for it! Sometimes it pays to hang on to things for a while! LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7784586

I wouldn't believe everything you hear these days Marilyn> ;0) (basket)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #7784944

;o)) KA

I took some pictures of Peach Belle while it was cloudy today. I think these photos show more of the true color of Belle than ones I have taken when the sun was shining.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7784950

another one

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #7784954

one more

Thumbnail by marsue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #7785017

Those are BEautiful. I'm going to try to bring in a couple roses we'll see how it goes. don't have a particular place to put them though, will have to throw them in with everything else LOL

i'm so organized. your roses are making me envyous.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #7785234

Love your roses Marilyn!
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2010
9:16 PM

Post #7785450

Marilyn your garden looks enchanting!! I love those rocks around your beds... where did you get them they look old and worn like they've been there forever. The rocks around my pond came from my dad's grandparents old home place which is through our field, apparently these were part of the chimney on their home. I love them partly because like yours they look ancient and like they've never been anwhere else and partly because of the history. We don't get many chances to use something from our ancestors to brighten our lives and even though I never knew them I think of them everytime I go out there.

Your roses are making me wish I had a few more. Oh but we mustn't forget how awful I treat those things so I shouldn't get anymore of them.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 12, 2010
7:14 AM

Post #7786176

I love rocks too, rocks just seem to be the perfect edge to me.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 12, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #7786364

I love the rocks too... but I sure have a HARD time keeping the grass and weeds from gorwing and and around mine!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 15, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #7796205

Everyone please get ready to be bored--I have the first daylily bloom of the 2010 Season here today, yes, I know it is a common one, Black eye Stella, yes, I know it is not a beautiful bloom--but the point is--IT IS DAYLILY TIME !!!!

Thumbnail by slcdms

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
8:12 PM

Post #7796208

LOL I know, it's so quite

here's my only rose blooming. I picked up about 4 diff roses from Catspower when i dug up those plants I expect them to bloom last year, their all coming back now from being cut back.

i'm going to try to incorporate roses into the back flower bed some how, don't want to build another bed.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 15, 2010
8:18 PM

Post #7796224

That is beautiful with the rain drops on the petals
I have my first 2 Japanese Iris blooming and neither of them have a tag.
They look similar, but they are different clumps
First one

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 15, 2010
8:18 PM

Post #7796227

next one

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 15, 2010
8:19 PM

Post #7796231

Tall bearded iris

Thumbnail by slcdms

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
8:19 PM

Post #7796233

Look at this pic, I just figured out how to do black and whites in picassa, I think I love it . You can really see the raindrops in this photo

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 15, 2010
8:20 PM

Post #7796236

This is silene compacta, I grew from seed. I planted the seeds last spring and put them in the bed in the fall. I am really enjoying it

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 15, 2010

Post #7796240

Yes, Picasso is fun to play with, it does make it show up better.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #7796241

I love silenes, I got a couple new ones this year.
Variegated Dames rocket grew from seed.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #7796242

paprika yarrow

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #7796246

How are you feeling? doing any better?

Jupiter, keys to heaven

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #7796249

This is that Purslane that I got in batesville, it has a cute bloomon it.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
8:23 PM

Post #7796252

Part of my louisiana iris bed

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010

Post #7796254

Love the foxgloves, their doing fabulous this year.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7796260

Another foxglove

Pam's choice is in full bloom and stands as tall as this one but it's fallen over by the storm we had earlier. and alot of other things are going to have to be tied up tomorrow after church.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 15, 2010
8:29 PM

Post #7796274

My foxglove is Candy Mountain--it has been beautiful, it does not get as tall as some, it has started declining now, but I sure have enjoyed it
I love that purslane--that is beautiful, wonder if it is as prolific as some of the others?

I am doing about the same, Jerry took me plant shopping today and it wore me out. We went to a wholesale place that has been in our county for several years, but just this year started opening to the public on week ends.
I got another ansomia that is Blue Ice, the leaves on it look like a phlox, do you have that one?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #7796356

Candy mountain is a new foxglove for me this year. hope to see blooms next year.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 15, 2010
9:22 PM

Post #7796364

I'll show you mine tonight--I need to get some seeds started for next year

Thumbnail by slcdms

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
9:28 PM

Post #7796374

Those are georgious. I can't seem to grow them by seeds. I hope mine drop seeds this year and I have them all over the place.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 15, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #7796404

Sometimes seeds do well for me and sometimes they don't--I planted some Japanese Iris seeds last fall and have probably a 100 of them sprouted, I can't remember right now which one it is, but it is seed from a named variety. do you have any idea how long from seed to bloom on those?
The false blue indigo I raised from seed took 2 years to bloom
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2010
3:08 PM

Post #7798312

Hey KA love your black & white photo - when you turn those to b&w it helps to up the contrast a little. I also sharpened it which makes the water drops stand out more, see how she looks now!

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2010

Post #7798325

Here they are side by side

I love turning these into b&w's cause then you can really see the beauty of them without being distracted by the colors. I took some of my flower photos last year and had b&w copies in 8x10's then framed them and hung them in my newly done guest room. I love that room and am thinking of doing some more in other places in the house.

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #7798350

I haven't figured out how to sharpen them up yet LOL you did good girl. I love that .

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 16, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #7798403

The coneflowers are starting

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 16, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7798408

This is the new amsonia I got yesterday
Blue Ice

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 16, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #7798414

A Japanese Morning Glory that Cindy brought me--she raised from seed

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 16, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #7798416

"Rose Petal Snow"

Thumbnail by slcdms

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #7798462

My echinaces are budding up and opening now too.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 16, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #7799220

Beautiful photos... congrats on that DL Sandra! Now the season has officially started. I thought I might have one bloomed out when i got back, but not quite yet! I do have a Tomato Soup echie from last year's coop that is blooming and I was excited about that ! That extreme June heat wiped out most of my echie plugs last year - but I think I have 4 left - the tomato soup is the only one that has bloomed so far! No time to get a pic today because I was trying to get everything in the ground. Didn't make it though because we kept having t-storms!

Love the foxgloves! I saw some at doug young's that I wanted to get but the sprinklers were going on them and I thought I would get one later but never got back to them!

Sure did miss not getting to see ya'll...Sandra, hope you are feeling better. I have had a LOT of pain with my back tonight and I am already ready for it to go away!

Genna

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 16, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7799342

Back pain is not good company, I can vouch for that !
Rest Well
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #7800311

Sorry to hear that you were having back pain, Genna. Hope it isn't bothering you today. Sandra, I've never had the kind of back problems that you have but Buddy did and I know how it affected him. Chronic back pain is a real bummer! :o((

Pretty pictures, Sandra and Kathy Ann.
Karen, love the black and white with the dark background that you made out of KA's rose photo. How do you get the leaves out of the background? I've never tried that.

My next door neighbor told me we had a lot of rain here while I was at the RU. My back yard is still waterlogged! but the weeds loved it! I think it rained weeds--my beds were fairly weed free when I left on Thursday and now they are full of weeds again! :o((
I took a few photos this morningl These are the hollyhocks that were in the photo of Kathy Ann standing beside them which I posted last week. They have gotten even taller since then and started blooming while I was away. The one on the left is pink and the taller one is white. The hard rain yesterday beat them down somewhat.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
8:06 AM

Post #7800340

a broader view of the hummingbird/butterfly bed. This is what is blooming in there right now:
red gaillardia
purple verbena
red fox veronica
hollyhocks
eveline veronica
tiki torch echie
two blue salvias
Joseph's coat climbing rose
Minnie Pearl phlox
hot lips salvia

Everything is waterlogged and beat down right now from the rain.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #7800350

My torch lilies went wild with blooms while I was gone! :o))

You can see the blue hydrangea blooming to the right of the photo.

This message was edited May 17, 2010 9:11 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #7800359

Gypsy also bloomed while I was away. I am going to play with the photo on picasa and see if I can make a black and white like Kathy Ann and Karen did. I know how to do the black and white--just don't know how to get just the rose bloom in the photo. I'll try that later.

Thumbnail by marsue

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 17, 2010
8:15 AM

Post #7800362

hey, can I use that excuse too Marilyn---it rained weeds--that is a good one-lol

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #7800381

Tiki Torch close-up

I think Karen asked me about the moss-covered rocks that line my flower beds. Those came from some other property which we used to own in Faulkner County, Arkansas. Buddy picked up every one of those rocks and loaded them in the back of his pick-up. Of course, when he got them to the house where I live now, he had to unload every one of them and place each rock where he wanted it to go. It really took a toll on his back but he was determined to get it done and he did! Gotta love a man like that and I still do and always will!

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
8:23 AM

Post #7800385

Sure, Sandra, be my guest--you can use that "excuse" any time! LOL
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 17, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #7800599

Wow - I love that Tiki Torch!
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
9:30 AM

Post #7800603

Marilyn, I pulled that photo into paint and erased the background and then filled it with black.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
9:58 AM

Post #7800709

Genna, maybe next year or possibly this fall, we can trade tomato soup and tiki torch?
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
10:00 AM

Post #7800719

Karen, when you say "paint", is that a program that comes with windows? I'm not sure I have that.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 17, 2010
10:09 AM

Post #7800760

Marilyn, you should have it--go to START-All Programs--Accessories then select paint
That is about as much as I know about it though--lol
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
10:44 AM

Post #7800937

I didn't know you could do black and white in Picasa, I've never really played with it I suppose.

Genna I hope your back is feeling better, I know all to well about back pain, I have lower back pain all the time because of a couple of bone spurs that I need to get sawed off. BLAH!

Let's see here, before:

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #7800943

Well poo, I forgot that I don't have the software on this computer, it'll have to wait til I get home. Bum.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
12:07 PM

Post #7801148

yes it is under accessories there is a little eraser there I just use that to remove the background (I'm sure there is an easier way but it escapes me at the moment) you have to blow it up under view~custom then I choose 800% to do the edges. Then just set your color to black at the bottom and use the paint can to fill the background with black.

There are some other programs that will remove the background for you but I don't have one of those:(

Crissy I haven't used Picassa in forever but it has all kinds of neat things to play with:)
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #7801177

Hm, I'll have to check it out tonight!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
1:19 PM

Post #7801361

What I thought was bombast poppies, may not be, got the first bloom today, and their suppose to be double poppies. It's pretty, b ut I bought turkish bombast double flowering poppies. ARGH!

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #7801559

crissy: in Picasa when you click on a photo you want to view in the larger mode, when the larger view comes up, to the left of the photo at the top you will see 3 tabs: Basic Fixes, Tuning, Effects. To get the black & white feature, click on effects. You can play around with the different things on all 3 of the tabs to get the photo the way you want it to look. It's easy! You should make a copy of the original photo before you change it to black or white, etc.

Here's the b&w version of my rose; now I am going to try to do what Karen did and edit it even further in paint.

Thumbnail by marsue

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7801619

Thanks Marilyn! Yea, I'm going to be having fun tonight, all of my pics are saved either on my computer at home or the computer here at work, so if I screw something up I can reload it LOL!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #7801658

Whoa, I started erasing the background and it was going to take me forever to do that, Karen! I had the photo blown up and thought I was just about finished but when I set it back to regular size, I had only done one small corner. I need to crop the photo to just a square or a rectangle around the rose blossom to eliminate some of that.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 17, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #7801750

that is a problem I had too when I tried it once. I had made some pictures of Jerry's nephew who is in the nursing home and wanted to give them to his parents. I didn't like how the background looked as it looked like the nursing home, I tried then to erase a background and saw that was not for me !
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
8:08 PM

Post #7802627

Okay select the freehand crop tool (1st one on the left uppermost corner)

Hold down your mouse key and go around the actual flower

press ctrl-x you will see the background of the picture minus the part you cut out

go to file-new and don't save the current picture when the blank canvas comes back up press ctrl-v to paste the flower onto the white canvas

It should look like this

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #7802638

One note be sure the canvas is large enough to leave room on all sides of the picture - you can do this by clicking on the canvas corners and pulling it out bigger BEFORE you paste in the cropped image - don't worry about getting it too big you can always crop it down.

Then make sure you have selected black on the color chart then using the paint can fill in the background with black

Now you should see this

This message was edited May 17, 2010 9:21 PM

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7802648

Now blow it up and finish the edges - of course the closer you get on the cropping the less work you have to do.

You can also use the box tool left-hand side the one that says rectangle when you are on it with the mouse to get rid of large chunks of the border before you start to clean it up.

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010

Post #7802658

Here's that style almost done - the good thing about this method is if you get trigger happy and do too much you can back up using ctrl-z to undo.

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010

Post #7802665

then use the eraser to cut in around the edges and the paint can to fill it with black.

This message was edited May 17, 2010 9:38 PM
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #7802691

Oops forgot the photo with that last one!

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
8:37 PM

Post #7802710

And here it is finished! 3 free hand crops and a few minutes of cleanup with the eraser

Okay ladies lets see what you can do - don't forget that sharpen button on picasso cause that'll make the photo look more impressive when you are done:)

This message was edited May 17, 2010 9:38 PM

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
5:15 AM

Post #7803346

You guys are having way too much fun ! LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #7803420

Way too much fun or making way too much work for ourselves? LOL Seriously, Karen, I am going to try it the way you described above but it will have to wait till later. I plan on being outside today getting my RU plants into the ground and getting rid of some of those weeds which dropped from the sky with the rain (raining weeds, you know).
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #7803681

"Bring on the daylilies" Sandra ! I will follow them up.

KA - that poppy is very pretty, no matter what kind it is.

Marilyn - your torch lilies are very impressive ! I have tried and tried to grow them, but they just don't do that well for me. Guess I don't have enough sun.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 18, 2010
7:21 AM

Post #7803849

Bonnie I have a big one blooming now but it is a no name yellow, nothing impressive, but pretty. I had this one blooming on the first Sunday in May last year, so it looks like the blooms are a bit behind schedule this year. The stellas are all starting to open now.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 18, 2010
10:06 AM

Post #7804340

On my way out the gate headed to wrok this morning, I had a nice surprise waiting for me as my first DL Witch's Wink had a bloom waiting on me. It was a pleasant surprise - but no time to go back for my camera!!

I like those torch lilies too. I tried those once about 3 yrs ago - but I killed it. Guess I need to try again!

Edited to say that Marilyn, I would love to trade Tiki Torch for Tomato soup...as soon as mine has a chance to multiply. No idea how long that takes since it was just a plug when I planted it last year - and right now it only has one stalk on it. Those i planted last year are the first that I have been able to get to live (and only a small percentage of them!) ...how long does it normally take for them to be large enough to share????

This message was edited May 18, 2010 12:46 PM

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 18, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #7804651

Cindy rooted some of hers for me and she laid a limb down to root. I am not sure if you can divide the root ball or not, maybe she will come along and tell us, she has a lot more experience with them than I do.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 18, 2010
1:26 PM

Post #7804885

I got back from Chicago and have scapes everywhere! My Stellas are blooming and I have one other DL blooming already (Happy Returns).

I bought a couple of climbing roses. I got them in the ground today and potted up everything else I bought. Does anyone have the Brite Eyes rose climber? That's one I got. It's supposed to be very vigorous and easy to grow so we'll see.

I had a bamboo to jump it's pot so I spent the rest of the morning digging up roots. Ray finally dug the whole spot up with the tractor and replaced the dirt. I hope we got it all. I love the bamboo. I forget the name now but it is a yellow one with crooked stems. I've had it for about 8 years in the ground in a pot by the store and it has done fine. Went out there last week and had three shoots about three feet away from the pot. Had to come out!

Terrye
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #7805061

I have no idea how long it takes for those hybrid echies to get big enough to share. I understand they are very "precocious" and that it takes a while for them to get started good. I have had mine since the spring of 2009 and I thought they had all died but I discovered today that this one is blooming. It is a little more red in color than Tiki Torch and I am wondering if it is Tomato Soup. There is no tag with it so I don't know what it is. Last year when I had them all in pots, Friday took several of the tags out of the pots and chewed them up, so I was at a loss as to know which one this is.

Thumbnail by marsue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #7805112

I divided all mine one year for a trade, I did not dig up seedlings, I divided the mother plants, and over half of them turned out pink regular cone flowers, i was just sick over that. so was my trader.

I'll never trade echinaceas again! because of that.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7805120

I'm positive you already know this, but sometimes the PH in the dirt can make flowers change colors. Maybe that's what happened???
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #7805184

Try telling that to my trader LOL this was a couple years ago.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 19, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7806571

Marilyn... not sure which cone that is, but it is not Tomato Soup... because it has a different shape. It is probably one of the sunset, sunrise, etc ...series...
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #7807457

Here are the big sky series sunrise, sunset, harvest moon, twilight and sundown, , one is salmon colored. (twilight is a redish color but the cone flower petals are at a down ward angel so you don't really (at least I don't think ) you have one of the big sky series there.

If that one you have pictured above is a new one from that coop? last year , the coop you told me about. The only true red that I know of that doesn't double up, is that tomatoe soup. yours is young and the flowers will not be 5 inches the first year or so. maybe next year. my tomato soup hasn't bloomed yet, so we can compare when mine blooms if you want to.

hot lava is red, I'm not sure you have hot lava though. I am thinking you probably have tomato soup there. I think my hot lava is blooming

Here's hot lava

http://www.terranovanurseries.com/r/pages/plants/echinacea-hot-lava.php

another tomato soup
http://www.terranovanurseries.com/r/pages/plants/echinacea-tomato-soup.php

here's big sky series "Twilight"
http://www.itsaulplants.com/_ccLib/image/plants/DETA-33.jpg

so do you think yours looks like hot lava or tomato soup? seems you told me last year you got a tomato soup

I don't have all the big sky series, i'd like to get them though LOL

Here's my sundown last year.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
11:35 AM

Post #7807592

My tomato soup is blooming, it's a small bloom also, young plant, though

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
11:36 AM

Post #7807596

here's the whole plant

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
5:15 PM

Post #7808519

We really need a new thread for people like me, but I will finish this one up with what I have blooming today.

JI Roseworld

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
5:21 PM

Post #7808555

grape lolipop phlox

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #7808565

Maltese Cross

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7808584

oakleaves

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7808591

goats beard

(Terrye - I have seen this for sale everywhere, ever since we looked for it for you.lol)

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7808598

Helix - my first daylily bloom for this season.

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #7808602

Greyswood hydrangea (thank you Terrye)

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010

Post #7808608

lily

Thumbnail by n2birds

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #7808752

I really like the maltese cross and the goatsbeard! What type plant is the maltese cross?
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7808829

Kathy Ann, I know I didn't order Hot Lava so mine is either Tomato Soup or another one. I think I have a list of what I ordered on my old desktop computer so I need to see if I can find it. That old computer is so slow that I rarely turn it on.

Bonnie your blooms are all lovely. Like Charlotte, I really like the Maltese Cross. Kathy Ann has it too.

Hopefully,Sandra will start us a new thread. This one is getting kinda long. Do we have to wait till the end of May to start a new one? :o))

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 19, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #7808868

OK--here we go--Beautiful JI Bonnie, love that one
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1099004/
JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 19, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #7808920

I am going to try and post my May pictures. Tried to stitch them so there would be fewer, but couldnt figure out how to save what I stitched together. This is the Artesmia that I have to take to Kathy Anns. Is is limelight?

Thumbnail by JanieP

JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 19, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7808928

Candida Clematis-planted last fall.

Thumbnail by JanieP

JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 19, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7808931

The Candida with an unknown purple that blooms early and repeats.

Thumbnail by JanieP

JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 19, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #7808972

Clematis Miniseeluk-the light purple is a bloom about 2 days old, the "red" under it is new. The bloom is about 2" wide. This is suppose to be a late bloomer and large flowered???? Planted last fall.

Thumbnail by JanieP

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 19, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #7808975

that does look like Oriental Limelight
new thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1099004/
JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 19, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #7809005

I think this is Clematis Amanda Marie. The marker is gone. Planted last fall. Blooming at the right time, but again not near as large as the description. You think it is because I keep fogetting to feed them (lol).

Thumbnail by JanieP

JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 19, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #7809012

Sharon, are there different limelights?
I will move to the new thread now.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7809125

Love that Japanese iris Bonnie,

my poor greywood is in a gallon pot still , terrye gave me mine too, it's huge I got to get it int o the ground asap, that bloom is georgious
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7815531

A very nice pic of Helix, n2birds. I can hardly wait until mine start popping! I love all the pics on this thread. Has anyone had success starting clematis? This is a new iris for me it is DECADANCE.

Teresa

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
8:27 AM

Post #7816556

That is a beautiful iris Teresa. Love the frills it has.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
12:10 PM

Post #7817163

That iris is delicious! LOL

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #7817294

That is a really nice iris!
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2010
4:53 AM

Post #7821956

I thought so too. It was my favorite new one this year. Now if it would only clump quickly :)
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 24, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #7822812

Wow - love that decadence!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America