Birds, Critters and Such #9

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

May be time for a new thread. We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1086578/

Thumbnail by duckmother
Memphis, TN

I think squirrels have a built-in guilty look!

This Blue Jay must have been looking for some water in the little dish in the flower bed.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

I think you are right...then again, they are usually guilty of something ;o))

Great shot of the Blue Jay!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yup yup, found my suet feeder with a part missing. Bahummbug!!! I still can't get too angry at them for they're too cute sometimes. Just sometimes. lol.

Here comes the Brown Thrasher with her straw for nest building. If only it would sit still for a second for the pic. op. lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Those brown thrashers can be quick when they want to be. lol

Are you certain that a squirrel got your suet feeder? A few of mine have take away by raccoons!!!

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

My suet feeders are the first to come up missing too. My neighbors usually find them off in their yard somewhere. I think there is one sitting under one of my porches right now too.

Kim - Duckmother - is it ok to feed canada geese bread ?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A Raccoon, Bonnie? Ahhh, I haven't seen many raccoons around, but squirrels yes. The suet was hung with a gain feeder suspended on a string 8-10' off the ground. I see 'Percy' hung upside down on the feeder all the time. It has got to be him. lol. Oh Percy is one of 3 squirrels that have previledge here all the time.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I found one of these fellas that almost drown in a bucket I kept in the back yard. I rehab(ed) it for half a day. Now it's happily competing with the squirrels. The fella may be imprinted on a squirrel y'all. I saw it practically climbing trees with the squirrels as if they (the squirrels) were its surrogate parents or something.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

How sweet is that little fella!

No, Bonnie, it is not okay. Cracked corn, most grains, leafy veggies, even fruits are okay...think of anything that they may see in the wild. Also, most likely if it is bad for us, it is really bad for them ;o) In other words, no fries, no chocolate, etc.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I still haven't found my container of fish food!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Charlotte, it has to be very frustrating with the missing fish food container. Bonnie, it's apparent that my furbabies/gardener's helpers are color-blind. They can't see chipmonds running right in front of their noses. But, my adopted furbabies the Golden Retriever (posting previously) she's one hunter. No chipmond or rabbit is safe with her. I beginning to wonder should I chain her up.

Kim, these B. T.s are really working feveruously to build themselves a new nest. This maybe a second clutch, or another couple. But they worked from dusk to dawn. They are still out there working (picking up nesting materials) as the sun was set for the day. Amazing!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I have to confess!!! I was back in my work area tonight and discovered my fish food! It appears I failed to put it back on the shelf before I walked back to the back and then got involved in something - set the container down and forgot it!!!! At least I'm glad to have solved the mystery.

;o))

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Also just discovered why it is so hot downstairs! The heat was on instead of the air!!! I need help!!!!

Ripley, MS

Somebody help Charlotte PLEASE, she is going to cook them inside their own home---------------------------------90 degrees and you have the heat running, that is a good one Charlotte !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oooooh, Charlotte are you okay? I'm no electrician, but can we turn the heater off or is there some mechanical switches failure? Help!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

The mechanical switch problem is me!!!! We just forgot to switch from heat to air!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm glad you're okay. DH is an electrician. He's pretty handy around stuffs like heating/cooling wires and such. One incidence where we've had problem with one of our two water heaters. (He decided to have two of hot-water heaters in case if one fails to work at any given time) He messed around with them when we've a minor leakage. The following day while he was at work. I turned the shower on, there was no cold water access but hot, I meant HOT water came out from both hot and cold valves! Needless to say, I resorted to a sloppy sponge bath. Until he got home to re-fix the problem!

Memphis, TN

There I was -- standing at the kitchen door, looking out on a cloudy, windy afternoon. I heard a small noise. A minute of so later, I heard it again. I began to look around to see what it was.

It was a baby bird on my railing, just outside the door knob! I began talking to it through the door and then gently opened the door. It was just a few inches from me but didn't seem afraid. It preened its feathers and looked at me just as curiously as I looked back.

Poor thing, I hope it will be okay.

He looks fine to me! He probably can fly and was waiting for Dad (most likely Mom is making a new nest) to bring him a worm.

Memphis, TN

Duckmother, I'm glad to hear that. I just made a really watery mush out of a whole grain bread crumb and some water. When I extended my finger to him, he gobbled up the mush. I hate that all I had was bread to work with (now where IS that can of worms I've been opening all my life!?) but he seemed to enjoy it. I guess I'll back off and let nature take its course. He's just TOO adorable!

Well, I guess if you cannot find that can of worms (LOL) you can always dig one for the little guy.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes, earth worm will do. Won't it Kim? Is that a Baby Eastern Blue Bird? HMM, hope you can keep it safe for over night.

Yes, an earthworm will do. It is a baby Robin.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Awww, best wishes sending your way HMM. Thanks Kim. I believe my Carolina Wrens have some fledglings. I saw three of them, two parents and a fledge maybe? I'm supplementing the feeds with mealworm for the time being. They waisted no time to get to the feeder with the mealworms.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This was the moment to cherrish. I love the sighting of the geese and their young.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Memphis, TN

Awwww, I love the heart shape those two young'ns in the middle made! That's indeed a precious photo.

My baby Robin kept inching the wrong way on that rail and wound up sliding down. It hit the patio but, when I tried to come out the door, I was approached by two very loud Robins, swooping down toward me. The baby took off toward the middle of the yard and reached my rose garden where, I hope, it will find safety for the night.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Female Cardinal showing off to its mate who was nearby courting her by bringing her seeds from the feeder. HMM thanks for the follow up on your little Robin. ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Help - thought ya'll might be able to help me have some ideas on how to solve my mystery and CATCH my thief! I have something stealing the eggs from my chicken house..... I thought it was probably a black snake but now I don't think so. My husband usually opens the door to the chicken house when he leaves for work- I told him to leave it shut and I would open it when I left for the doctor - (thinking I could gather the eggs and put them away before anything had a chance to get them)....but there was a hen on the nest when I left at 9:30 so I just let her be. When I returned that afternoon (about 3:30) I went straight to the chicken house hoping to gather my eggs - there were NONE to be had. We have not had an egg in over a week - BUT, there was a partial egg shell (about 2/3) on the ground in the middle of the chicken house. Because of the egg shell, I decided it wasn't a snake because they swallow the eggs whole. Then when my husband came home I went to show him the piece of shell and it was gone ??? What would come back just to eat an egg SHELL??? Suggestions?? and HOW do I stop it (whatever it is?) I have wondered if it might be a stray dog, or a coon - but I wasn't sure if coons moved about much in the daytime?? Any other ideas???

Thanks!
Genna

PS By the way - love the pic of the baby robin....precious!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

It seems I was wrong about absently mindly setting down my fish food container. I'm pruning my azaleas under the windows in the back of the house and I found my container of fish food again and this time the flip top lid was open and lots of teeth marks all over the container. Now tell me how the critter knew there was food in a sealed container? Guess I'll start having to take the container inside!

Genna, you may not believe this but the chickens are probably eating the eggs! There are many websites that can help you take steps to stop this action...probably better than this one but it is a start http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Chickens-from-Eating-Their-Own-Eggs

Charlotte, all animals have a better sense of smell than we do! They know exactly where to go for the scent. Cats, dogs, squirrels, raccoons, opossums and just about any other critter will seek out your fish food. Don't think you don't have these critters because almost all, if not all, have learned how to survive around humans. So, it is important to keep cat food, dog food, fish food...even duck food ;o) indoors or in a container that cannot be opened by little paws or chewed open by little mouths.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Well said Kim. Good lucks Genna. Charlotte hope it all works out. I've good news, my Carolina Wrens have fledged. I was feeling the blue of empty nest. Then I heard them across the yard from the neighbors' propery. But apparently the parrent still come back to my mealworms feeder and the grains feeder to take food to the chicks.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Memphis, TN

I get fussed at every day.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

HMM, watch out! Some one is liable to raise some orphans if that one decide to drop the load off. lol.

Memphis, TN

Looks like Junior is getting a bit ambitious.

Memphis, TN

Mama's not gone very long....

Memphis, TN

He may be trying to grow up but he's still her baby!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

HMM, are those Starlings? How sweet those little birds are!

Memphis, TN

Yes, they're European Starlings.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images