-
AuthorContent
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #7769018

May be time for a new thread. We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1086578/

Thumbnail by duckmother
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 6, 2010
9:27 AM

Post #7769378

I think squirrels have a built-in guilty look!

This Blue Jay must have been looking for some water in the little dish in the flower bed.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
11:09 AM

Post #7769631

I think you are right...then again, they are usually guilty of something ;o))

Great shot of the Blue Jay!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
12:23 PM

Post #7769797

Yup yup, found my suet feeder with a part missing. Bahummbug!!! I still can't get too angry at them for they're too cute sometimes. Just sometimes. lol.

Here comes the Brown Thrasher with her straw for nest building. If only it would sit still for a second for the pic. op. lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
12:38 PM

Post #7769826

Those brown thrashers can be quick when they want to be. lol

Are you certain that a squirrel got your suet feeder? A few of mine have take away by raccoons!!!
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2010
12:53 PM

Post #7769856

My suet feeders are the first to come up missing too. My neighbors usually find them off in their yard somewhere. I think there is one sitting under one of my porches right now too.

Kim - Duckmother - is it ok to feed canada geese bread ?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
1:16 PM

Post #7769914

A Raccoon, Bonnie? Ahhh, I haven't seen many raccoons around, but squirrels yes. The suet was hung with a gain feeder suspended on a string 8-10' off the ground. I see 'Percy' hung upside down on the feeder all the time. It has got to be him. lol. Oh Percy is one of 3 squirrels that have previledge here all the time.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #7769954

I found one of these fellas that almost drown in a bucket I kept in the back yard. I rehab(ed) it for half a day. Now it's happily competing with the squirrels. The fella may be imprinted on a squirrel y'all. I saw it practically climbing trees with the squirrels as if they (the squirrels) were its surrogate parents or something.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2010
1:42 PM

Post #7769965

How sweet is that little fella!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
2:25 PM

Post #7770070

No, Bonnie, it is not okay. Cracked corn, most grains, leafy veggies, even fruits are okay...think of anything that they may see in the wild. Also, most likely if it is bad for us, it is really bad for them ;o) In other words, no fries, no chocolate, etc.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
4:30 PM

Post #7770354

I still haven't found my container of fish food!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #7770559

Charlotte, it has to be very frustrating with the missing fish food container. Bonnie, it's apparent that my furbabies/gardener's helpers are color-blind. They can't see chipmonds running right in front of their noses. But, my adopted furbabies the Golden Retriever (posting previously) she's one hunter. No chipmond or rabbit is safe with her. I beginning to wonder should I chain her up.

Kim, these B. T.s are really working feveruously to build themselves a new nest. This maybe a second clutch, or another couple. But they worked from dusk to dawn. They are still out there working (picking up nesting materials) as the sun was set for the day. Amazing!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7770608

I have to confess!!! I was back in my work area tonight and discovered my fish food! It appears I failed to put it back on the shelf before I walked back to the back and then got involved in something - set the container down and forgot it!!!! At least I'm glad to have solved the mystery.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7770614

;o))

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7770618

Also just discovered why it is so hot downstairs! The heat was on instead of the air!!! I need help!!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 6, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #7770627

Somebody help Charlotte PLEASE, she is going to cook them inside their own home---------------------------------90 degrees and you have the heat running, that is a good one Charlotte !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7770647

Oooooh, Charlotte are you okay? I'm no electrician, but can we turn the heater off or is there some mechanical switches failure? Help!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
6:51 PM

Post #7770693

The mechanical switch problem is me!!!! We just forgot to switch from heat to air!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7770748

I'm glad you're okay. DH is an electrician. He's pretty handy around stuffs like heating/cooling wires and such. One incidence where we've had problem with one of our two water heaters. (He decided to have two of hot-water heaters in case if one fails to work at any given time) He messed around with them when we've a minor leakage. The following day while he was at work. I turned the shower on, there was no cold water access but hot, I meant HOT water came out from both hot and cold valves! Needless to say, I resorted to a sloppy sponge bath. Until he got home to re-fix the problem!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 7, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7773098

There I was -- standing at the kitchen door, looking out on a cloudy, windy afternoon. I heard a small noise. A minute of so later, I heard it again. I began to look around to see what it was.

It was a baby bird on my railing, just outside the door knob! I began talking to it through the door and then gently opened the door. It was just a few inches from me but didn't seem afraid. It preened its feathers and looked at me just as curiously as I looked back.

Poor thing, I hope it will be okay.

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
3:13 PM

Post #7773132

He looks fine to me! He probably can fly and was waiting for Dad (most likely Mom is making a new nest) to bring him a worm.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 7, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #7773143

Duckmother, I'm glad to hear that. I just made a really watery mush out of a whole grain bread crumb and some water. When I extended my finger to him, he gobbled up the mush. I hate that all I had was bread to work with (now where IS that can of worms I've been opening all my life!?) but he seemed to enjoy it. I guess I'll back off and let nature take its course. He's just TOO adorable!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
3:43 PM

Post #7773188

Well, I guess if you cannot find that can of worms (LOL) you can always dig one for the little guy.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7773533

Yes, earth worm will do. Won't it Kim? Is that a Baby Eastern Blue Bird? HMM, hope you can keep it safe for over night.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7773582

Yes, an earthworm will do. It is a baby Robin.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #7773617

Awww, best wishes sending your way HMM. Thanks Kim. I believe my Carolina Wrens have some fledglings. I saw three of them, two parents and a fledge maybe? I'm supplementing the feeds with mealworm for the time being. They waisted no time to get to the feeder with the mealworms.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #7773624

This was the moment to cherrish. I love the sighting of the geese and their young.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 7, 2010
6:51 PM

Post #7773783

Awwww, I love the heart shape those two young'ns in the middle made! That's indeed a precious photo.

My baby Robin kept inching the wrong way on that rail and wound up sliding down. It hit the patio but, when I tried to come out the door, I was approached by two very loud Robins, swooping down toward me. The baby took off toward the middle of the yard and reached my rose garden where, I hope, it will find safety for the night.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #7774702

Female Cardinal showing off to its mate who was nearby courting her by bringing her seeds from the feeder. HMM thanks for the follow up on your little Robin. ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 8, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #7774900

Help - thought ya'll might be able to help me have some ideas on how to solve my mystery and CATCH my thief! I have something stealing the eggs from my chicken house... I thought it was probably a black snake but now I don't think so. My husband usually opens the door to the chicken house when he leaves for work- I told him to leave it shut and I would open it when I left for the doctor - (thinking I could gather the eggs and put them away before anything had a chance to get them)...but there was a hen on the nest when I left at 9:30 so I just let her be. When I returned that afternoon (about 3:30) I went straight to the chicken house hoping to gather my eggs - there were NONE to be had. We have not had an egg in over a week - BUT, there was a partial egg shell (about 2/3) on the ground in the middle of the chicken house. Because of the egg shell, I decided it wasn't a snake because they swallow the eggs whole. Then when my husband came home I went to show him the piece of shell and it was gone ??? What would come back just to eat an egg SHELL??? Suggestions?? and HOW do I stop it (whatever it is?) I have wondered if it might be a stray dog, or a coon - but I wasn't sure if coons moved about much in the daytime?? Any other ideas???

Thanks!
Genna

PS By the way - love the pic of the baby robin...precious!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
8:39 AM

Post #7775074

It seems I was wrong about absently mindly setting down my fish food container. I'm pruning my azaleas under the windows in the back of the house and I found my container of fish food again and this time the flip top lid was open and lots of teeth marks all over the container. Now tell me how the critter knew there was food in a sealed container? Guess I'll start having to take the container inside!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
9:36 AM

Post #7775187

Genna, you may not believe this but the chickens are probably eating the eggs! There are many websites that can help you take steps to stop this action...probably better than this one but it is a start http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Chickens-from-Eating-Their-Own-Eggs

Charlotte, all animals have a better sense of smell than we do! They know exactly where to go for the scent. Cats, dogs, squirrels, raccoons, opossums and just about any other critter will seek out your fish food. Don't think you don't have these critters because almost all, if not all, have learned how to survive around humans. So, it is important to keep cat food, dog food, fish food...even duck food ;o) indoors or in a container that cannot be opened by little paws or chewed open by little mouths.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
10:05 AM

Post #7775247

Well said Kim. Good lucks Genna. Charlotte hope it all works out. I've good news, my Carolina Wrens have fledged. I was feeling the blue of empty nest. Then I heard them across the yard from the neighbors' propery. But apparently the parrent still come back to my mealworms feeder and the grains feeder to take food to the chicks.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 9, 2010
12:01 PM

Post #7777855

I get fussed at every day.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2010
2:19 PM

Post #7778163

HMM, watch out! Some one is liable to raise some orphans if that one decide to drop the load off. lol.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 10, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #7780642

Looks like Junior is getting a bit ambitious.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 10, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #7780648

Mama's not gone very long...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 10, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #7780651

He may be trying to grow up but he's still her baby!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2010
12:05 PM

Post #7780828

HMM, are those Starlings? How sweet those little birds are!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 10, 2010
12:56 PM

Post #7780940

Yes, they're European Starlings.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 11, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7782970

Thanks for that link Kim, but I am pretty sure that it is another animal getting the eggs. We have managed to check often during the day on the weekends and are getting the eggs... and I have seen claw marks in the ground inside the chicken house so I am pretty sure it is not a chicken snake - although we usually have at least one of those per year! I may end up having to set up a trap to try to see which animal it is!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 11, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #7784929

Junior (Junioretta?) is getting filled out and ready for the world. There's still no fear when I approach to take pictures -- I guess Mama hasn't had "that talk" with her babes yet.

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #7784943

I have Tufted Titmice living in my Dave's Garden birdhouse! This is my first feather baby this year that I've been able to get a picture of:

This is momma

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #7786040

My internet connection is too slow to post the birdhouse so I waited until I got to work this morning. They're in the top hole and they're definitely not newborn.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 12, 2010
10:16 AM

Post #7786710

Mama Starling fussed at me so sharply that Junior flinched as I took this one.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2010
11:02 AM

Post #7786819

Christine, the TT are adorable, sweet birds. I'm glad you've some that chose the bird house. HMM, the Starlings mama is one protective mama. lol. Nice pics.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 12, 2010
1:27 PM

Post #7787247

Yes, she is, Lily_love. Here's one I got from inside my door this afternoon and it's not extremely clear. I'll try to get a better one from the porch if I can but, from the looks of things, I'd better not dilly-dally. I think they're about ready to take off any time now. Count the little yellow beaks...looks like Junior and Junioretta have a partner!

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 12, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #7787374

How precious!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 12, 2010
2:06 PM

Post #7787375

Yesterday while we were helping Alex move from one apartment to another - only about a block apart... he noticed a cardinal sitting in the street. I walked up and picked it up to see if its legs or wings were broken - as it had obviously been hit. We decided he was just stunned and when I went to put him on a tree limb to get him up away from the cats and out of the street - he flew off to a bush across the street.

I was wishing I had had my camera to show him off to ya'll...

Genna
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #7787457

That's such a cute picture, I just want to pet the tops of their heads. I guess that wouldn't be a good idea though. Might get pecked lol

AAWWWWWW Genna, how cute! Glad he wasn't hurt.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 12, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7787514

They really are cute. I'm sure they'll be off and gone shortly. Mama Starling is coming and going all day getting food for those babies -- I'll bet she doesn't suffer from Empty Nest Syndrome after they're gone!

Crissyr, you're right about that -- another inch closer than I'm getting and I'd be attacked for sure. BTW, I have an aunt and uncle in Malvern. I don't often run across folks from your town.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #7789222

What are their names? Maybe they're related to my DH.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 13, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #7789389

Louis and Zettie Lou Pikey, crissyr. They've been in Malvern for 50-60 years, I guess. Their son and his family live there, too.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 13, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #7789412

Crissy ... I DID pet the top of the cardinals head several times trying to calm him. He sat on my finger and I petted him... it was neat! The kids wouldn't even touch him !!

Genna
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 13, 2010
7:58 AM

Post #7789456

Caught this scissor tail fly catcher sitting in my flower bed a few days ago. I think they are so pretty

Thumbnail by gen2026

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 13, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #7789458

Here he (or she) is flying off and showing off that scissor tail...

Thumbnail by gen2026

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 13, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #7789470

And I found these critters in Hot Springs last saturday...

Thumbnail by gen2026

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2010
8:11 AM

Post #7789500

Genna you have a very good looking family! I've never seen a scissor tail fly catcher in my neighborhood, they're gorgeous!

I'll ask Dave if he knows them, he grew up in Malvern in the 70's.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 13, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #7789506

I had never seen one until we moved where we are now - and I grew up out in the country. They seem to like our overgrown field for nesting I think... so I won't let Leigh bushhog this time of year! :)

Thank you Chrissy...My daughter is on the left and my youngest son is in the tree. The one on the front is Clara, our exchange student from Italy, and in the back is Louise, an exchange student from Germany who spent last weekend with us.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 13, 2010
8:18 AM

Post #7789525

Genna, I knew that bunch looked domesticated!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 13, 2010
8:35 AM

Post #7789574

^_^
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2010
1:29 PM

Post #7790400

Very nice! I always wondered what it would be like to have an exchange student, and also what it would be like to be one, but my mom never went for it.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 14, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #7792943

Wow -- looks like Mom and Pop Starling need to start shopping at the big box store for this hungry crew!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 14, 2010
9:58 PM

Post #7794004

Hackberry Emperor Butterfly on my door today

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
5:53 AM

Post #7794339

Awww, those butterflies! As if spring is not beautiful enough. Butterflies add on to this its beauty! I think I saw a red admiral the other day. I'm unsure though, hard to differentiate RA and American Lady.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #7794522

I loooove butterflies...I have seen a few but not when I had camera. Nice capture, miss.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
7:22 AM

Post #7794544

Great Blue Heron along the bank on our boat ride yesterday.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 15, 2010
10:37 AM

Post #7794992

Well, as they say, all's well that ends well...

The hole in the old Oak tree in my front yard seemed strangely quiet this morning. A little later, when I was out in the back of my lot, I looked up just in time to see this.

I guess this is (as Paul Harvey used to say) the rest of the story.

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #7795016

"Okay, kids, watch how Mommie does it..." ;o) Always fun to see chicks leave the nest!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #7795330

Well wishes to the new fledglings! Mama Starling has done a fine job! HMM you've done a wonderful job of sharing this joy with others. Thank you.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 15, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #7795380

Lily_love, I feel like I've been watching one of those old Disney movies or something -- it's been so much fun watching this little family come into existence, grow and move on. My front yard is quite a bit quieter now but it seems the trees all around are full of life!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #7796093

HMM, yes the trees all around are full of life! I've a family of Carolina Wrens that fledged recently. Brown Thrasher family first clutch has fledged, and now they're working on the second. Not to mention Chickadees and Cardinal, Titmice and many other resident birds such as the Mockingbirds and Blue Jays, Eastern Blue Birds ect. May is a beautiful time of year!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #7796178

Watching the waxwings today...every time one looks at me...he reminds me of Darth Vader ;o)

"Luke, I Am Your Father" lol

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #7796182

Robin watching me, watching him...

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #7796184

Dove resting a deck rail...

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7796191

New mallard ducklings on the lake...

Thumbnail by duckmother

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2010
4:53 AM

Post #7796764

Kim are the CW hanging around for the duration? I like that one of the [quote] Darth Vader [/quote]. The Dove is so peaceful looking, and the Robin is so so cute. Awwww, the Mallard chicks are adorable!

Great Blue Heron on its 'hunting ground'.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #7796937

Kim, the CW will leave when the mulberries are gone. Nice heron pic. I guess he is watching the sunrise...wonder where his coffee is?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2010
6:41 AM

Post #7796960

LOL, "He's watching the sunrise ..." quite suitable for the caption. Muawhaoowaaaaa! I'd love to have a mulberry tree in the garden--eventually.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 16, 2010
8:05 AM

Post #7797176

A sharp, clear call beckoned me to the backdoor this morning, where I saw this Northern Flicker making its way up the utility pole. I was able to get a reasonable good shot of it through the glass...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 16, 2010
8:05 AM

Post #7797224

...before it flew off in a blur of gilded beauty!

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #7800837

Pretty birds! I had Titmice but they fledged the day after I found them, they were almost fully feathered and I knew they didn't have too long left in the nest, apparently not! LOL

I was out taking pics of the garden yesterday and this let me take a couple of pics of it!

Thumbnail by crissyr

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 17, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #7800865

How gorgeous, crissyr!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
10:45 AM

Post #7800940

How exciting, nice catch Christine.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #7801074

Argh I lost the thread! LOL!!!

Here's another pic of him/her.

Thumbnail by crissyr

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
2:34 PM

Post #7808017

Acrobatic move, White Throat Nuthatch arriving at the feeder;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #7808025

"Geez it's a long way if I were to fall down there"

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #7808037

Reached the destination. "Ahhhhhh."

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #7808761

Cute bird with great narration, Kim.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7808797

It's a beautiful time of year to enjoy these feathered friends Kim. Thanks.

Here I've a juvie House Finch wondering why Moma will NOT allow dad to feed her at the feeder, while Moma tries to teach her how to survive the wild. Quite a brat I may add. lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #7809002

Cute pictures Kim

According to Cornell we do not have the house finch in this area but look what was at my feeder.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #7809106

Cindy, does the book suggest that you have Purple Finches? They maybe Purple Finches. Though, I'm still having hard time differentiate b/w the two.

Here is a clip on the above Juvenile HF. Let's have a look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhtnendDX9Y
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2010
8:32 PM

Post #7809258

I think you may be right. my female matches the purple finches description.
Female Purple Finches have no red. They are coarsely streaked below, with strong facial markings including a whitish eyestripe and a dark line down the side of the throat. Cornell says we have the purple finch here during winter non mating.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #7809265

sorry forgot to tell you your video was really cute.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #7809373

Well, I hate to be the spoiler but they are in fact, house finches. Male HF have brown cheeks (I call them sideburns lol). There are other differences too but that one is easy to see. The females do look very similar. But what gives it away the most...Purples are only in the south during the winter or non-breeding times.

Many times the maps for bird locals are outdated before the book (or website) is even published. If you look at some information on the Eurasian Collared Dove, many publications will show them only in the gulf coast region. However, they are very common in most if not all southern states and have been seen as far north as North Dakota.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2010
9:08 PM

Post #7809410

I am perfectly happy to have house finches since I never had anything coming to the feeders.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
7:53 AM

Post #7810250

Thanks Cindy, I'm glad you've enjoyed the video. Housefinches are residential birds here. I do believe. Kim, thanks for the tips on trying to see the differences in b/w the two species of finches. Watching them care for their youngs; human beings can perhaps learn a thing or two from them -- litterally.

While gardening this morning I happened on this newly 'hatched' (eclosed ?) dragonfly. It sits in place to dry up with the morning sunlight before I spooked it off the edge of the pier and went on its way into the garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7815371

My hummers were drinking heavily this afternoon.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7815412

Very handsome little one. :-)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #7815417

Wild Thistles...

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #7815429

The whole field of the wild flowers among the cattles.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #7815497

Were those thistles among the cattle? I thought they were very poisonous to cows. I know my husband keeps it killed out of our pastures.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
5:17 AM

Post #7816153

Cindy, it's! Should I alert those farmers? We were watching Bald Eagles' Nest when we discovered this sight! We haven't been there a little over a week. And these wild flowers sprouted up like 'shrooms' (as Peggy would call 'em).

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
9:25 AM

Post #7816784

Kim when I looked it up it says milkthistle with yellow flowers. I guess that thistle is ok. I just know my husband doesn't let any of them grow in the cow pastures. Cow will eat things that are not good for them if it is there most horses won't.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 22, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #7816883

This morning's big "find" for me -----

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
9:56 AM

Post #7816887

I hope those purple thistles aren't bad for the cows. Cindy. HMM, what a BIG find of a precious little Blue Jay!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
9:57 AM

Post #7816893

What a wonderful find.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 22, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #7817568

Well, Baby Blue is still out there this afternoon. I do hope it will be okay.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 22, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7817572

At least the adults are watching over it...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #7817606

HMM, the joy of the season is endless it seems! Good parents Blue Jays!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010

Post #7817993

Nice pix! I have been out of town and saw so many animals...zebra, buffalo (bison), camels, alpacas, llamas, etc. I took my little point and shoot camera and the batteries went dead after one picture! I did ask someone to email theirs to me...I hope they do!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #7818143

Welcome back, Kim. Hope you've got a good time.
Kim2
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #7819389

Thanks, Kim. I had a marvelous time!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #7819604

Look what Marilyn, Charlotte and I found at Paul Micheal's when they were here.

Thumbnail by Riverland

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
9:18 AM

Post #7819613

OH MY! I want one...at least one. lol
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2010
9:30 AM

Post #7819636

He was cute but expensive.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 23, 2010
10:08 AM

Post #7819737

Kim, how long do ducks set if they are nesting? My female has been missing for about 5 days now and we hope she is nesting on the lake somewhere but we can't find her. No sign of feathers either like something got her, but that doesn't always mean anything. Even though she has a lot of white on her she would be hard to find on our lower lake since the grass is so tall. Now Ray is afraid to bushhog! lol

Terrye

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
3:59 PM

Post #7820699

That was a cute duck and it had Kim written all over it!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #7820848

Terrye, she should stay on the nest for about 28 days. You may be able to see her right before dark for about 10 minutes and possibly the same at daybreak...but not likely. You are right, she will be very hard to see and will not make a noise...she may jump off the nest when you approach but she may not. Not mowing is probably a good idea but he will have to wait a loooooong time ;o)

I have not found very many ducks that are not expensive! LOL Yes, I think it had me written all over it too. If I would have known, I would have begged you to buy one for me!!!! I would have paid you back, of course :o)
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #7820864

The family of ducks around the corner from me are still in the pond. I hadn't seen them in a couple of weeks and was worried that the owners of the pond got them or something, even though they had a family there last year. The babies are no longer yellow, but gray, and they are growing! They were in the pond, single file. Way cute!
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 23, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #7821150

Thanks, Kim. We'll just have to let the lake grow up!

I wish I could get a picture of mine flying. When they are on the lower lake I can ride the 4 wheeler over the levee and call them. They'll come flying about head high up the hill and follow me to the upper lake. it's amazing to look over and see something that big flying by your head!

Terrye
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7821198

Oh how fun! Maybe, I will just have to come for a visit and see for myself ;o)
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 23, 2010
7:41 PM

Post #7821274

Come on anytime!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
4:16 AM

Post #7821897

Hi Terrye, am I invited too? Question for Kim, We've two pairs of Pekin ducks but I have never seen them with offsprings for the past years. How come? They hung around the Mallards in the winter:

Thumbnail by Lily_love

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 24, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #7821967

Kim, you know you are invited too. Anytime. I haven't seen you in forever!
I may work up a get -together at my house this fall and invite everybody!

terrye

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:17 AM

Post #7822010

Terrye, that would be nice if you can pull that one together in the Fall. Did you make it to Lousiana this spring to see Jeri and our group? I missed out. This time of year is too busy, busy a time for me to go anywhere.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #7822038

You were missed at Jer's Kim (Lily Love) and also Kim (duckmother). I was really hoping to get to meet you in person! One of these days - maybe at Terrye's. Would love to see her place too!
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 24, 2010
5:59 AM

Post #7822105

I didn't get to go, KIm. I had a trip to Chicago to see my sister that same weekend.

Terrye

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #7822381

Charlotte, I was looking forward to the trip too, but like Terrye, I had family obligation then. Hopefully we'll have another opportunity. I'd love to meet Kim (duckmother) in the near future as I'm looking forward to meeting you and Marilyn, Kathy_Ann and many others that I haven't yet meet. Terrye, please keep touch. Jim and I still very much interested to learn linedance with your family.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2010
8:30 AM

Post #7822577

I have a few new bird photos from yesterday.
Brown Thrasher

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #7822580

Cliff swallow casting over the water for insects

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #7822586

Eastern Kingbird

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2010
8:35 AM

Post #7822593

I had to get this one IDed for me LOL.
Eastern Bluebird He was huge bigger than the male Cardinal sitting in the same tree. I never realized he was blue either, thought he was gray.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2010
8:37 AM

Post #7822602

Killdeer

Thumbnail by Riverland

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
9:57 AM

Post #7822820

Wooohooo, there is a good many variety there Cindy. Nice pics. I have yet seen a Killdeer in person before.

An Egret arrived here early in the morning hunting for breakfast.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
12:21 PM

Post #7823232

OH MY! Y'all pix are spectacular!!!

Kim, pekins are not very good mothers. They have been domesticated for over 2000 years, and in that time, they have lost their coloring and (unfortunately) their mothering skills. They may become broody, lay an egg or two and may sit on them for a few days. But in time, they lose interest and leave the nest. They may do this a couple times a year. The good part about their domestication (as they were raised for meat) is they become big quickly...which is why they cannot fly. All ducks can fly at one point but then most domestics get too big and their wings stay the same size...which is why they should not be released into the wild...they cannot escape a predator.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 24, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7823808

A wet Mocker came to rest on my garden arbor for a while this afternoon...in the rain. I'm afraid low light and distance made for a less-than-sharp capture of an otherwise good pose.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
4:41 PM

Post #7823962

HMM I love those 'Mockers'! Kim, thanks for sharing the above info. regarding the Pekin ducks. Poor ducks, now the word 'domesticated' takes on a new meaning--at least for me.
I've heard similiar loss of ability to rear their own in domesticated Pigeons. Wouldn't that pose a real danger of them (the species) becoming extinct?
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:06 PM

Post #7824021

Well, yes and no, Kim. Farmers will take pekin eggs and place them under a broody muscovy. Though, they are also domestic ducks, they are excellent Mommas. They will hatch the eggs and raise them as their own. Or, the eggs can be hatched in an incubator. Once in a while, a pekin will be broody and raise a family. But, I would guess that if these ducks were all released into the wild, we would have a bit of trouble getting them to survive.

On the way to work this morning, a momma woodie and her one baby were walking across the on ramp! Needless to say, I stopped and made all of the other cars stop, too. They slowly walked across to the side of the road and into the grass. I am certain I was being called all sorts of names by the other people but I didn't care! I hope she made it to the lake...it was quite a long walk. I called Jeff and asked him to go check on her and/or pick them up (good luck with that lol) and carry them to the lake but he never saw them.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #7824128

Awww, sometime we human live too fast and always too busy to pay attention to others' needs, it seems. Thanks Kim for sharing your experience.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #7824443

Is there such a thing as a dark brown almost black squirrel? I went out to Wildwood this afternoon to leave some plants. I was driving down a service road and this critter that I swear looked like a squirrel except it was dark brown and smaller ran into the brush. I stopped and looked for a while thinking it might run out again but it didn't.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #7824469

The definitely is a black squirrel. I have seen many of them in the woods.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #7824508

I'm so used to seeing the big grey squirrels! He was a really cute critter!! I saw something else run across just before I left. I didn't get a real good look but I think it was a rabbit. The park is out in the woods (on about 113 acres) and has a pond. I was the only person out there but I think critters are skiddish around people. A great restful place! I need to go out one day with my camera. I bet I could get get some great photos.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #7827121

We used to have a pair of albino Squirrels here. Then they disappeared into thin air! I suppose they didn't survive the wild.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 25, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7828012

This little guy has been in the shelter of my Vinca vine for several days now but this is the first time I've actually seen him. Mama keeps a close watch on him and fusses when I get too close.

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2010
8:52 PM

Post #7828201

He is just so cute.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2010
5:18 AM

Post #7828684

Agreed with you Cindy, those juvenile birds are as cute as cute can be! Nice pix HMM.

I've a pair of Brown Thrashers that built a nest here on my 'Cecile Brunner' Rose arbor recently. Here is one of the two parents sitting in the nest.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 26, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #7831178

What a place to build a nest, Lily_love -- a rose bush! Talk about security bars!

Well lately I've been wishing I could see something on the feeder besides Sparrows. Sparrows all day long. Brown on brown on brown...

This afternoon, we had a brief thunderstorm and, afterwards, I glanced out at the feeder. I couldn't believe my eyes. On and around it were lots of Sparrows (of course), several Mourning Doves, a Eurasian Collared Dove, a male and female House Finch, a male and female Cardinal and a Northern Flicker.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 26, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7831179

The Sparrows

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 26, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7831180

The Northern Flicker

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #7831236

Ooooh and look at all those Liliums popping! Nice catch of the N.Flicker there HMM.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #7831312

Nice pix, gals!

Charlotte, there are actually quite a lot of black squirrels in LR...we have a few around here but not a lot ;o)

Always fun to look out and see a nice variety of birds!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #7831442

We should go out to Wildwood one day and do some bird watching. There is all kind of nature out there. There were some swans and for some reason they got sick and I'm not certain if the last one is still there are not.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #7831485

Tainted food? Moldy bread? If they died it is most likely from botulism!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7831542

Know one that of that!! Our co-chairman bought them somewhere out of state and they had been there for a couple of years and then all of a sudden they got sick. I'm sure people coming to the park feed them all the time.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
12:42 PM

Post #7833732

Redheaded Woodpecker enjoying peanut. This fella came to the feeder, picked out a peanut and flew up here to work on it.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #7833823

Love those little cuties...we don't get very many around here...lucky ;o)

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 28, 2010
10:38 AM

Post #7836331

How about this pose?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2010
10:40 AM

Post #7836337

That is a fantastic shot!!! Looks like a magazine cover!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2010
10:54 AM

Post #7836401

Very nice, Miss. I can see him saying, "I'm King Of The World!!" LOL

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2010
12:05 PM

Post #7836682

Just a happy go-lucky guy, yes he's King of the world! LOL

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2010
12:08 PM

Post #7836693

Kim, can you help this person? She's trying to rescue a little orphan bird that she found in field.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1101830/
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2010
12:29 PM

Post #7836773

I gave them all of the knowledge that I have, which is not much on baby birds.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2010
12:53 PM

Post #7836861

Thanks Kim, whatever little helps. Poor girl probably worried sick.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 28, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7837874

We finally saw our female duck! She is setting but she is on Ray's cousin's lake which down across from our lower lake. lol She has been eating when he feeds his fish. We went down this evening to look for her and she was already out on the lake. Her nest is up in the top of his tractor shed about 20 feet off of the ground.

Kim, do you think she will move the ducklings back up to our lake with the other ducks or stay down there?

terrye
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2010
6:00 AM

Post #7838915

Wonderful news! She will most likely move back to her home lake. You know about how many days she has been missing, so most likely that is how long she has been sitting (full time) on eggs. Once you are close to 28 days, begin to watch for babies, which usually happens in the morning hours...after sunrise but before noon. Try to go down and help her get babies back to your lake. This is a terrible time for babies. They are out in the open and begging to be grabbed by a predator...snakes, birds, dogs, cats, etc. Hopefully, she and the ducklings will be fairly safe once they return home...hopefully.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 29, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7839063

Birds Behaving Badly

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #7839074

I had a strange thing happen while I was out making my morning walk around. A bird came up to be from behind and actually briefly touched down on my shoulder. It startled (Iwasn't sure what was happening) me so I started moving my arms and it flew off still right next to me! It was a black medium size bird with some kind of marking around his neck (I believe) . He then flew way up in a tree and I couldn't see him good. What on earth was going on??? I've never had that happen before. If he had come to me from the front I don't think it would have startled me so!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 29, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #7839082

Could it have thought your hair would make good nesting material? I think I've heard of birds going after hair but I don't know which ones would be most likely to do it...
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #7839172

Are you certain the bird was black?

There are two main reasons it could have been flying around you. 1. You were too close to the nest. 2. It wanted a piece of your hair to build its nest. There is two more possible options but not as likely...3. It was hand raised and thought you looked like the human momma.
4. It liked you and wanted you to know it ;o))
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #7839178

Oops was typing when miss posted. Yes, they do but more often I hear of Titmice doing this, which is why I wondered if it was black and not gray.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2010
7:22 AM

Post #7839187

I fancy the last option. lol Charlotte, I had a similiar experience one evening as the sun ready to set I was walking out in the garden. Two presumably juvenile birds landed at my feet, got startled (both birds, and me too). Then they flew off.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #7839195

No I'm not positive! I had the sense it was trying to attack me and I was so startled I didn't get a good look. At first I thought it may be a Robin but I couldn't tell for sure. I could only see the back as it was flying away. It may have been a robin. They always in the yard and have gotten very used to us being around. They will continue hunting for worms while I'm around. I was standing in the middle of my brickwalk just standing still looking when it happened. I repotted my lambs foot fern yesterday and discovered a bird had used it as a nest. No extra material had been added but in the middle of the fern were 2 eggs that were broken.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #7839199

Maybe he did just like me and was trying to say "hello" but it sure startled me!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2010
7:43 AM

Post #7839223

LOL Good one, Kim. I never even thought of that...

We will probably never know, Charlotte. But I like the idea of the bird just saying hi.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2010
7:51 AM

Post #7839245

Ooooh, my Brownheaded Nuthatch just returned to the feeder as I type. I'm so happy, the birds were gone for a couple weeks. It's rainy and cloudly out there so no new pix today. Yesterday, was beautiful. These Canadian Geese brought 2 of their goslings to the neighborhood.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 29, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #7840359

Good to the last drop!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2010
2:34 PM

Post #7840400

Very nice one HMM!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 29, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7840711

Lily, that's a sweet shot -- so graceful and beautiful!

I guess today must have been Mama's Day Out, so Dad took the kids out for some fast food...

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7841314

Kim, lovely Heron!

Very cute, Miss.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #7841929

Love that heron Kim!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2010
9:17 AM

Post #7842354

I'm glad you all enjoyed the Herons. Somehow they remind me of "Fooman Chu". You know an image of an old Chinese man with a long pony tail. And I said that with respect. Provoke good feeling kinda scene.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 30, 2010
11:27 AM

Post #7842764

Mr. C. stopped by for a sunrise breakfast this morning.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2010
11:48 AM

Post #7842826

That's as cute as can be HMM! Here his cousin is checking out my 'Tophat' blue berry bush for a mid-morning snack.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #7851595

All of you are taking pics of birds, very nice btw, and I'm taking pics of...

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #7851601

This 'guy' ran right in front of me!

Thumbnail by crissyr

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #7851602

Nice turtle!! I like having them in the yard but I haven't had one in a while.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #7851603

The turtle and bunny are at my mom's in Newcastle, OK, as well as these turkeys!

Thumbnail by crissyr

gen2026
Camden, AR

June 2, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #7851626

Looks like a hopping place ! :) Hope you are having fun!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #7851650

Christine, those turtles are seen crossing the road here in search of water as the weather warm up. I enjoy seeing the turkeys as well. My little gardener helper this morning:

Thumbnail by Lily_love

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

June 2, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #7853112

Here's my funny-looking little female Cardinal, Hot Lips.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

June 2, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7853175

I've heard of laying low -- this little fella seemed to have it down to a fine art. He skulked along on his belly trying to find any seed the birds may have dropped. He crawled around like that until I turned the key in the lock, when he jumped to his feet and scurried off for the bushes!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #7853397

How funny!!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #7853560

Ha ha ha ha...they can put on a good show for us ;o) Nice shots.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2010
11:31 AM

Post #7855484

Awesome pics of that squirrel! Too cute!

Two of the turkeys are males, one is a female, named Archibald, Eugene, and Hennypenny. The two were poofed up and I tried to get a pic but by the time I got back outside with the camera they were back to eating. Oh well.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

June 5, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7861819

We all know how it is. Sometimes, it's just one of those days. You have to look high and low for a place to go (where no one will find you) just to get a break from it all...!

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #7862257

Awwwww...
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2010
8:56 AM

Post #7863614

Cute
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #7866214

Kim we need a new thread, please. This guy wanted to share our porch with us. I believe he was robbing the barn swallow nest too that are underneath.

Thumbnail by Riverland

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #7866408

Yuck!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2010
12:36 PM

Post #7867365

Charlotte you know how our stairs come up under the porch so you will know what I am talking about. Jimbo was coming up the stairs and when he got eye level with the porch he caught some type of movement. He looked to the right and this snake was about 8 inches from his face. Yuck is right.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 7, 2010
3:08 PM

Post #7867783

Double yuck, did he kill it or just knock it off the porch?

Is anyone else having an abundance of fleas this year? I had to put the cat outside, she has been treated with Advantix and still has fleas and the kittens too, Ruth said she was having a problem keeping them off Sam this time too and she uses Frontline on him.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
3:55 PM

Post #7867899

Bad snake! Needs to leave baby birds and eggs alone...or we will have to tie him in knots ;o)

Sandra, many folks say we did not get cold enough, long enough to kill the fleas and such.

I will start a new thread...

Here ya go http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1105384/

This message was edited Jun 7, 2010 5:02 PM

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7868012

I bet that even startled Jimbo! Face to face with a snake is not what I want to do.

I've actually had less trouble with fleas this year than last. I use Advantix on my dogs and that is the best that I have found. Starting in the early spring I use it every month but usually see a few fleas just before it is time to put it on them again. I think the squirrels bring them into my yard.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2010
9:39 AM

Post #7869764

ummm I think he stuck his head under Jimbo's boot one too many times.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2010

Post #7870951

and a proper ending...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America