Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Run for the roses

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I thought for sure someone would have a comment on the KY Derby rose trivia...(there's more to come in the next few days)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

DRAT! I missed it. I'll be watching for the next ones.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here you go!

The 22nd Kentucky Derby was won by Ben Brush. Pink and white roses were placed in a garland around his neck. It was the first time the famous rose garland in any form was presented to a Kentucky Derby winner.

There's a bit more Derby trivia, some Preakness trivia, but I couldn't get anyone to answer me at Belmont Park, so sadly, they are left out.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks Melody. WOW 1895! You snooze you lose Belmont.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

It appears that no one knows the origin, or history of the white carnation blanket that the Belmont winner gets. I've dug some more, and no one even knows the date it was first used...incredible!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That IS incredible! You would think that they would have records. How sad :(

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

The USDA didn't have records of when they first released the zone maps...go figure.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I think Terry's zone map beats a horse race....that is past incredible. The USDA keeps records on everything...why not this?

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Even the Belmont Stakes people don't know why they started draping the winner with the white carnations except to say that white carnations symbolize love and luck. According to their website, not only is a blanket made for the winner, but the official florist makes two more to drape the statue of Secretariat {Triple Crown winner in 1973} that stands in Belmont Park.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.