Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Several months ago I picked up a new hobby, it's turning out to be tons of fun..harder than I thought and lordy it's expensive...lol but I'm having a blast. I'll show the pictures in order ...lets hope you can see a progression of skill.

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

next...

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Cheesecake covered with ganache, bag with the strawberries is also cho

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I seemed to backslide on this one.

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

getting a bit better

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

oops wrong order..this should be where the dice cake is...

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

the next three I did this weekend

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

correction this was done a week or so ago

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

cake for returning solder

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

my fav one so far

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

oops forgot this one

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

everything on these cakes are edible..if you see a dice, bell, pencil, candy etc they are all made from gumpaste.

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Araness,
I've been decorating cakes for a number of years and have to
say I'm truly impressed !

I take it you took some gumpaste classes :)

Congrats on your new found hobby and all the joy you are, and
will be bringing to those whose cakes you decorate.

BTW are you familiar with the website http://www.cakeswebake.com/
It truly is a wonderful site for ideas and support.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

araness - simply outstanding job. the one with the flag. isthe flag edible also.??

thsi ihas ntohing to do with realcakes but my wife just fnished making this for a baby shower. its made with pampers. LOL

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

no I didn't take a gumpaste class, other than the fondant class taught by Wilton.

I'll check out the website, thank you for passing it along.

Herbie do you think Deb could post the instructions for that, it's so cute.

And yes the flag is edible, as are the dog tags and the medallion.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow are you really cooking araness. Lovely cakes. I hope that the people who get them are appreciative. I'll bet that they are.

New York, NY(Zone 6b)

Araness, your cakes are so beautiful. What a great job you did. Look like they sell for quite abit. Yummmm!.
My first cake that I completed does have flowers but did not look too good. I must practice on my flowers and piping sometime next week. I have promised a couple of cakes to friends. These are my tasters of all things sweet.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

tyty...Torriesmom buy a dummy or florist Styrofoam to practice your piping skills. It allows you to get use to the angle you'll be working on with real cakes, which the practice board does not.

Also check out Sharon Zambito, if you can borrow, rent or buy her videos I suggest it.

New York, NY(Zone 6b)

Thank you, will check her out soon.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

araness - my wife said she would be happy to do it but it may take a while. whe is very busy with her book right now.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

arness - debbie said she loves your cakes and if you want to show any of your recipes on her website just send her an e-mail with the recipe and any pictures you have and she will post it.

her e-mail is debbie@cookfromtheheart.com and her website is
www.cookfromtheheart.com

debbie would like you to check out her website.

frank

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Herbie, I view Deb's website often ...*G* as far as giving out my recipes...if I did then I'd have to ahem...ah...I dunno.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

o.k.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Not thrilled with this one..but when they don't tell you what they want...

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

bit better but...

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I learned new words for this cake..and none of em were nice...looks easy enough I know..but it wasn't!

Thumbnail by araness
New York, NY(Zone 6b)

Love your cakes.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

thanks...still learning but I enjoy the new hobby

Pearland, TX

Wow Saint. These are amazing!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Tyty..got your email..sorry had an open house today for the realtors and I got told to scram *G*

Hope your feeling better...I'm in Orange this week but will be back in Pearland on Sunday night. They are putting a new roof on the house and we should close on the 2nd of Aug. I'll be moving around the 13th (around about) so I'll be back and forth until then.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

You've got some Major talent there. Those look very professional. Loved everyone of them. My sis in law makes cakes, but man her talent is no where near this, and I hope she doesn't read this ever lol

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

WOW !!!!! I took a cake decorating class and still can't make a rose - the basic flower !!!! I bought all that equipment, tips, etc and haven't made a cake since then.

I only wish mine turned out half (no, 10% ) as pretty as yours !

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

thanks, both of you...sorry for the delay but Comcast seems to think we shouldn't have internet, phone, security or cable 100% of the time...greedy lill buggers!

My next cake will be the one I'll post below. Going to omit the bottom layer due to the size (she only needs to feed about 100) It will still be overkill but she wants to keep the proportions.

LOL Corgi...let me give you my address..*G*

Kathy Ann...what is said on DG stays on DG...

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

grr ok helps to post the pic ...

Thumbnail by araness
New York, NY(Zone 6b)

Araness, nice to see that you are still making beautiful cakes. I would like to know what the filling is for that lovely cake. I only took a brief class in April making the flowers. And made 2 cakes for the class which I am pleased with. Not as nice as yours though. But I have not practiced too much. As soon as it gets a bit cooler, I will start with my cakes. The heat of my hands and the kitchen make my flowers melt.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

this cake will be pretty plain..she wants two different types. Half the layers will be strawberry with a fresh strawberry filling the other two will be a white almond wedding cake with a almond buttercream. For the almond layers I'll use a amaretto flavoring in the fondant and for the strawberry either a cheesecake or a champagne flavoring. Most people won't eat the fondant but for the ones who do I'd like for it to have a taste.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I can see the expense in these cakes, they almost look to beautiful to eat lol

love that last one you just posted

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

No, most people don't see the expense of these cakes. I've had people call or email me with pictures of cakes they want and then literally gasp when I tell them prices. The above cake (minus the bottom layer) will cost me about 225.00 just in supplies, that does not count the untold hours spent to decorate, clean, shop etc. I guess people don't see the 2 hours you sit tinting the fondant the right shade of teal or how long it takes to imprint the fondant with the correct patterns etc as actual "work" that they should pay for.

We've just moved and I've spent the last two days trying to unpack all my cake supplies and organizing them...humm not sure how I can move into a house double the size of my old one and still not have enough space. DH put up shelves last night in a small broom closet for my pans, and I've taken over the island for my utensils, colors, dusts etc my airbrush, fondant roller and cutter had to be shoved in a cabinet due to lack of space...if I ever get done I'll post a picture.

New York, NY(Zone 6b)

What wonderful space to put your supplies. Congratulations on your move to a larger house. You will get it in order soon. You seem very disciplined so your work space will be also. You are doing a great job with the cakes. I enjoy looking at them.

Ivy

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.